Interview: Greg Pak on Writing New BATMAN/SUPERMAN Series

Posted by G-Man (32265 posts) - - Show Bio

Last week DC Comics announced a new series starring two of their biggest characters, BATMAN/SUPERMAN. Over the years, we've seen their friendship grow but we've only begun to see how it's defined in the New 52. The news of this announcement was made even better when the creative team was revealed to be Greg Pak and Jae Lee.

The previous SUPERMAN/BATMAN series started out telling new stories and then later shifted to ones where continuity wasn't essential. With this new BATMAN/SUPERMAN story, it will begin with the beginning for their relationship but appears to catch up to current times as well.

With talk of exploring the early days of the New 52 Universe, you know we had to find out more from Pak.

Comic Vine: You're known for all your amazing Marvel Comics runs, how did you snag BATMAN/SUPERMAN as your first DC Comics assignment?

Greg Pak: Kind of wild, huh? Jim Lee and I met a few years back when we were both on a panel at the San Diego Asian Film Festival. We hit it off and kept in touch. And a few months ago he called with an offer I couldn't refuse. I'm still pinching myself a little.

JUSTICE LEAGUE #1

CV: We saw Batman and Superman's first meeting in JUSTICE LEAGUE #1. Will your story (or first arc) take place after that and before ACTION COMICS #11 (where they casually talk as 'friends')?

GP: Oh, there's definitely more to the story! Our book starts earlier -- around the time of Grant Morrison's ACTION COMICS #1, when Bruce and Clark are young, raw, and extremely dangerous. And yes, in the fullness of time, how this all jibes with what you've already seen will be explored and explained.

CV: Do plan to mainly stick in the New 52 past (totally fine with me!) or will you jump around to whatever time fits the story?

GP: Our first story starts in the past, but we'll get up to present day in due time. We'll also explore how that initial story reverberates through the present day in small and big ways.

CV: Will there be an overall tone to the book - light-hearted, serious, dark, etc or will it be a mix depending on the story and threat?

GP: Good question! I've done some very serious, dark books -- X-MEN: MAGNETO TESTAMENT and RED SKULL come to mind. And I've done some very light-hearted books -- X-TREME X-MEN is a pretty good example of that. I think BATMAN/SUPERMAN will probably feel more like the heroic adventure books I've done like Planet Hulk.

One of the glories of BATMAN/SUPERMAN is that we have the mandate to explore these characters deeply, really get under their skin and challenge them as men and heroes. At the same time, there's a huge amount of fun to have with Batman and Superman cutting loose on the same page. So the aim is to delve deep with high stakes character development and drama -- while delivering high-octane, mind-bending adventure.

CV: How many issues will your first arc be?

GP: I'm planning on five right now.

CV: Do you plan on approaching the stories in arcs rather than single issues or will you mix it up?

GP: It'll be a mix. Some stories will want a little more space; others will work best as tighter episodes. For most of my comics career, I've worked with four to six issue arcs (or longer). But I'm a big fan of done-in-ones and two or three issue stories as well. I'm hoping to keep it lively. There will also be bigger themes, mysteries, and plotlines that extend over multiple arcs.

ACTION COMICS #11

CV: You mentioned that you had some leeway in the story telling. Will you have a list of characters and villains you can and can't use in the New 52 past?

GP: There are always some characters you love but might want to avoid for a while when you start a new book -- they might have just played a huge role in another story or there might be some imminent plans for them elsewhere. Or maybe you want to save them for later. But I haven't been given a master list of characters that can or can't be used. We're just seeing who and what works best for each new story. We're also creating new characters, both heroes and villains. It's been a blast so far!

CV: Can you give us a hint what or who we can expect in the first arc?

GP: Can't reveal the big baddie(s) just yet. But I can say that it'll be a shocker and a surprise and should open the story up in pretty mind-bending ways for the DC Universe. Stay tuned!

BATMAN/SUPERMAN #1 is set for a June 2013 release.

Staff
#1 Posted by kennybaese (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

I am really excited for this series. I've always thought that Bruce and Clark's friendship was one of DC's most interesting relationships. Having that explored with a really great creative team puts me pretty solidly on board.

#2 Posted by Cavemold (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

Not whole lot info here....... Wait and see .

#3 Posted by Z3RO180 (6454 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't freaking wait. June is going to be awesome Man of steel bothe comic and movie are coming out as well as this new one plus it will be my birth day.

#4 Posted by The Stegman (23920 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously, words cannot describe how excited I am for this, the REAL World's Finest are coming back!!

#5 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2309 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait to pick this up in June!

#6 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17971 posts) - - Show Bio

Greg Pak You rock!

#7 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

GP is great, I like his Herc series and Incredible Hulk...

#8 Posted by Mucklefluga (2545 posts) - - Show Bio

Cannot wait!!! Seems so awesome!! Great Interview!

#9 Posted by Lvenger (19286 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn this interview for making me envious about not being able to get this book. Pak really knows how to reel a guy in and this sounds like how a World's Finest story should be.

#10 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I really cannot wait for this. Especially if its as good as Planet Hulk which is probably my favourite story arc ever.

#11 Posted by Cavemold (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

did he show any art at all? or anything else?

#12 Posted by yo_yo_fun (643 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait!!

:D

#13 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (2947 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm excited for this title

#14 Posted by G-Man (32265 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cavemold: All that's been released is the black and white Jae Lee images.

Staff
#15 Posted by wessaari (622 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really super excited for this series, though im glad it takes place in the past. The last thing we need is another Batman book, plus this will be the second added Superman book. DC needs to have a bigger diversity than just Batman and Superman

#16 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14594 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a Batman book, of course I'm picking this up

#17 Posted by longbowhunter (7046 posts) - - Show Bio

Pak has been at Marvel for so long its hard to imagine him at DC. I'd be lying if I said I didnt enjoy his work on Planet Hulk and Incredible Hercules. Probably wont be reading Superman/Batman but I hope he stays around to do more for DC.

#18 Posted by jwalser3 (4885 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm excited, just want to find out what DC is going to add in with the cancelations.

#19 Posted by Black_Claw (2968 posts) - - Show Bio

So I guess this means that while Superman now has 4 books, Batman now has a grand total of 7. Either way, this sounds interesting so I might pick it up.

#20 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1104 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh, I just can't wait.

Jae Lee is just a master at what he does. He's one of those rare artists that could get me to buy a book just to admire the artwork.

I will definitely be picking this one up.

#21 Posted by TDK_1997 (14685 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait for this book to come out.

#22 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1104 posts) - - Show Bio

So I see Hal and Barry in the background, but more importantly, I also see J'onn. Does this mean that Martian Manhunter is gonna be a big part of Batman/Superman? I wonder if they'll be teaming up with him or fighting him?

#23 Posted by Gotham331 (178 posts) - - Show Bio

Too excited for this

#24 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Darn it I can't wait for this title. Between this and Snyder's/Lee's Man of Steel project, I'm completely fidgeting with yearning and excitement!

#25 Posted by Nightwing82 (38 posts) - - Show Bio

if it's done in the past we could get a look at the past Robins before Damian!! that would be cool!!

#26 Posted by cbishop (7520 posts) - - Show Bio

A New 52 book I might actually be interested in. :)

#27 Posted by CrimsonAlchemist (410 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: My gosh his work with the Hulk and Herc was incredible wonder what the Pakman got in store for Dc.

#28 Posted by skooks (205 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait for this book.

#29 Posted by DocFishstick (241 posts) - - Show Bio

i have a good feeling about this series. i can't wait for it to come out. i can also say i can't wait for people to get over the fact that batman is before superman in the title. good god man shut the hell up. what if they just did it because b comes before s? not because they think batman is better then superman. i am just happy to see how the series is going to do.

#30 Posted by Pperspectiveandreality (1925 posts) - - Show Bio

How did this book get so bad after the first arc?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.