How the *** did Batman survive this attack by Superman? SERIOUS!?

#1 Edited by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

More of a Batman topic than Superman, but none the less...

Catching up with my  Superman/Batman books, I came across this lovely piece:

Superman / Batman Issue # 39:

1st Page: 
A hypnotized Superman is ordered by Darkseid's sorcerer to "KILL" Batman.  He flies towards Batman with super-human speed that basically plows through an alien building cutting it in half as he also tears the ground below him.  Superman then throws a powerful vicious right punch, but instead of striking his target, he hits another alien building/structure instead, since Batman manages to use his super-human quickness (or should I just say "human" quickness) to evade Superman's attack.  Explanation?  According to Batman: Superman just seemed "slow".

2nd Page
Superman's initial blow obliterates the alien building/structure from the previous page.  He then lends chase to Batman, and using his super-human speed again, appears right in front of the surprised Dark Knight (and he thought Superman seemed slow on the page before), connecting with a direct punch to Batman's sternum.  "BAM" indeed.

3rd Page
I don't know about you, but a direct hit like that from Superman should blow a hole into Batman's torso.  Yet, Batman is shown having survived that direct hit from Superman (surprise-surprise) with only some shattered ribs and "possibly a lung".   More surprisingly, Batman still manages to stand up from his painful injuries.  

Not seen on this page, but on the next issue: Batman is later saved from being literally murdered by Superman, by turning invisible thanks to Orion's wife Bekka.  

One issue later...

Superman / Batman Issue # 41

Last page:  
It is later explained that Batman survived Superman's direct punch because he was "holding back".  

The end.

So this is the problem, and by the way, I'm just going to skip the whole "Superman seemed slow" part to make this shorter, and just go straight to him throwing the punch -- So if Superman was "holding back" when he punched Batman, why the heck did his 1st punched (the one that missed), literally blew up a whole building?  Guess Superman was NOT "holding back" on that one?  But then he later decides to "hold back" once he threw his 2nd punch???  Is this explanation for real!!??

I mean Batman's pretty much god-like invincible nowadays and that's a given!  Even more so than any super hero in the world including Superman.  But this explanation is just... contradictory.... plain ridiculous... and just lazily written.

I understand that we have to believe that Batman can hang with the super power boys, always managing to stay alive despite facing super powered villains left and right.  Heck, he even survived fighting against Darkseid in 2 different Superman/Batman issues!  Simply because Darkseid (or any other super powered being for that matter) don't seem to always take Batman so seriously.  You would think they'd learn by now for like the last 60 years Batman's been around; so instead of super punching Batman across the city like they did to Superman in the same comic just a few panels before, they simply just grab Batman by the throat, tell him a story about their troubled childhood until Batman shakes lose of their grip; or worse case scenario for Batman, he just gets toss gently aside.

I just wish the writers would at least make it more believable.  Instead it's written like we, the readers, are just supposed to believe everything they want us to believe.   As if we're just kids.  

C'mon all you Batman, Superman/Batman, or whomever DC writers, please try harder!  This is not Infinity Crisis!  We want clear explanations!  This isn't your grand father's comics written back in the 60's!  This was written in 2008!  Make it more believable!  

Say that Batman lived through the attack because he was really Captain Marvel in disguise!  Heck, you can say it never happened coz Batman was just dreaming; I know it's a lazy way out, but it's actually much more believable in this story's context.  Or say that Batman was wearing Adamantium armor underneath or something... but then again, why would a simple knife cut leave a tear in his costume?  But use something, anything!  At least the Captain America writers manage to always have Cap, consistently shield himself with his indestructible Vibranium Shield whenever a fatal blow is about to connect!  Something as simple as that is more believable!  You don't expect the readers to just sit down believing Batman gets punched by Superman, and lives through it without a sound explanation. 

What does anyone else think?  Are you fine with whatever the writer just tells you, no questions asked?  Would you rather see more believability in their stories? 

#2 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, first, I would like to say that I've seen picture of people with head open, and still live, or even walk...  

But anyway, you're essentially right : Batman should be, -at least-, crawling on the ground, and not being able to talk and making bold statement...

#3 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

#4 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus: 
lol
#5 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
"
"
#6 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7118 posts) - - Show Bio

He remembered to bring his anti-superman killing him device.

#7 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
"
"
this
#8 Posted by Destinyhero20 (382 posts) - - Show Bio

#9 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

I'm a fan of Batman, but even I must say that was PIS.

#10 Posted by Malonius (881 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jordanstine: Batman really really needs an Iron Man level suit to put on when he goes out on these cosmic adventures with the Justice League. It still wouldn't put him on level with Supes, GL, Martian Manhunter, etc. but it would make it more believable that he could survive the event in order to play his masterminding/espionage/sabatoge role in the mission. When he's doing his crimefighting thing around Gotham he can wear his regular suit.
#11 Posted by okayla (102 posts) - - Show Bio

Did you really revive a year old thread?

#12 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by GTG12 (1572 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64

nice picture
#14 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@GTG12: yup
#15 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: Dude...awesome picture and I just realized it's from the "reboot" Jim Lee's Superman looks awesome.

#16 Posted by consolemaster001 (4473 posts) - - Show Bio

He's Batman

#17 Posted by Lanzslyde (28 posts) - - Show Bio

@jordanstine That's why most of us read comics. To be entertained. Because sometimes, real life can be boring. You want the fights to be realistic? Watch boxing instead (joke). You say make it believable, but meanwhile the story you were mentioning has an alien from krypton who shoots lasers out of his eyes and flies. I'm sure we can all agree that once you pick up a superhero comic, you would expect fantasy and a little stretch. As long as the plots aren't too ridiculous, I'm good with Batman surviving fights with super beings.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.