BATMAN & SUPERMAN on IMAX

Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Picture this in 3D, blue and gold IMAX.

Warner Bros inking a deal with IMAX to distribute 20 WB films from here to 2013 isn’t that surprising. What is surprising is that some of names mentioned in this “titan-sized twenty” seem to confirm a number of projects that have only been rumored up until now. Sure, you’ve got your HARRY POTTER finales and your HOBBIT and your HAPPY FEET 2... but you’ve also got BATMAN 3 and SUPERMAN included in the list. We all knew that the former was going to happen, eventually, but the later has had so many fits and starts over the past couple of years that it’s started to feel like the boy he cried wolf. First, Bryan Singer was going to make another Brandon Routh movie right called MAN OF STEEL. Then, the Wachowski Brothers’ names were put in the hat for a project I want to say was called SUPERMAN UNLEASHED. The latest announcement (and probably the one with the surest chances) is a SUPERMAN reboot that Christopher Nolan would “godfather” (presumably meaning he’d either producer or executive produce) and his brother, Jonathan, would write and direct. The announcement (by way of Coming Soon) of this deal with IMAX would show that the WB’s at least banking on it being out within the next three years.

I’ve still got my fingers crossed that this will lead to BATMAN 3 being shot on IMAX. I recall hearing that the IMAX portions of DARK KNIGHT were a nightmare for the crew to shoot, but the results were so awesome, I think shooting this whole next movie in that format would be totally worthwhile to pull off. 

Also… another name on the list that raised my eyebrow was FURY ROAD, which I’m pretty sure is the name of the fourth MAD MAX movie that director George Miller’s been trying to get off the ground for at least seven years now. It’s actually been twenty-five years since MAD MAX: BEYOND THUNDERDOME, but you should never say never when it comes to these series.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

#1 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

if the Nolan's are doing Superman, it means we may finally see the Man of Steel done justice on the silver screen :D

#2 Posted by mightiness (291 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea Nolan has done wonders for Batman.

#3 Posted by Namor1987 (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

Who's the villain for Batman 3

#4 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio
@Namor1987: no one knows yet.

cool all sounds good to me! I hope they don't make superman all dark and brooding. cuz he isn't ha ha
#5 Posted by Icon (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, More Mad Max! x] 

#6 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I jus tlove seeing films at the IMAX.  It doesn't matter if they're 3D or not.  It's an amazing way to watch films that are projected onto such a large screen... I love it!

#7 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

Thunderdome was horrid !  if there is a four i am not to hopful.
#8 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

you can call fat max
#9 Posted by crestfallen (298 posts) - - Show Bio
@Namor1987:  Nobody knows for sure.
@mightiness: Agree!!
@Caligula: Yeah, can´t wait for this reboot. I think they will do an excellent job.
#10 Posted by Namor1987 (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Bane or Mr Zsaz would be pimp for Batman how about them together that would be sweet

#11 Posted by crestfallen (298 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio

i think a group would be epic. Like The Black Glove, or the LOA without Ra's at the wheel.  but truth be told what i want is a Gotham turf war. TwoFace and Black Mask or penguin fighting for the streets.
 ... idk what i want. Just a 3rd movie within the next 3 years...

#13 Posted by NightFang (9967 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting. 

#14 Posted by spiderguylll (620 posts) - - Show Bio

The Superman from Superman Returns better than the rest....But Not the Smallville one

#15 Posted by Dro (941 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim said:
" i think a group would be epic. Like The Black Glove, or the LOA without Ra's at the wheel.  but truth be told what i want is a Gotham turf war. TwoFace and Black Mask or penguin fighting for the streets.  ... idk what i want. Just a 3rd movie within the next 3 years... "
Two-Face is dead.
#16 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dro said:
" @Grim said:
" i think a group would be epic. Like The Black Glove, or the LOA without Ra's at the wheel.  but truth be told what i want is a Gotham turf war. TwoFace and Black Mask or penguin fighting for the streets.  ... idk what i want. Just a 3rd movie within the next 3 years... "
Two-Face is dead. "
of course you havent read the 20 thousand other assumptions that harvey isnt really dead, and they just hid him somewhere so no one would know that Gothams white knight went crazy and started killing people. 
...Bruce survived the fall and he was wearing an extra30 pounds of semi-protective gear. and the fall itself was like 1 floor.
#17 Posted by DarkSyde79 (214 posts) - - Show Bio

While 3D is the new kick, IMAX is still an experience in and of itself that I will support whenever available... 

#18 Posted by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio

#19 Posted by iloverobots (455 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman reboot would be great. The franchise needs it, and with the amazing stuff going on right now in the comics it's definitely a good time to bring back the man of steel on the screen. 

#20 Posted by jstarzyk (317 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a big fan of 3d movies.

#21 Posted by Secret Identity (223 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman could do with a reboot. I just hope they do it as well as the original Christopher Reeves film there was so much attention to detail in that film and whilst it's very dated now it was great for its time. I hope it gets taken as seriously this time round. As for Nolan being involved......... I'll decide how I feel when I see it. But the last this superman needs is to be gritty like Nolan's Batman. (which is great btw) I look forward to seeing the next batman as well. I have my fingers crossed for a gang war between Black Mask and Penguin. 

As for 3D. No thanks. It worked in Avatar but without it that film would be pointless. I'd prefer they just make two great films that concentrate on character and story rather than two films that look pretty in 3D.  

If they can do both however, then i'm all for it.

#22 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

So they are betting on people to be more willing to pay $20 to $30 for IMAX tickets? That's ridiculous, I am glad I am not looking forward to any new Superman or Batman movies in the near future.

#23 Posted by iloverobots (455 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime` said:
" So they are betting on people to be more willing to pay $20 to $30 for IMAX tickets? That's ridiculous, I am glad I am not looking forward to any new Superman or Batman movies in the near future. "
IMAX here is usually only 2-3$ more than a regular admission ticket, which is about 8$ on Tuesday nights and 14$ or so on weekends. 
#24 Posted by CylonDorado (1867 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm... cautiously optomistic about the next Superman movie. I hope it's good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.