Are Superman and Batman the two most used characters in fiction?

#1 Posted by Joesoef95 (315 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay I know the title is a bit off, my English is not too good. But let me explain.

What I mean by the most used is that these two probably appear in more stories than any other fictional character. Just imagine the thousands of comics and dozens of films. Is there any other character in fiction that beat these two?

#2 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio

Your English is just fine, and no, they are not the most overused characters in fiction. 

#3 Edited by tim2081 (519 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd put money on Dracula being the most used. He can appear in anything because nobody owns the rights to him. Superman and Batman can only appear with permission by DC. Also Dracula was created way before either of them.

#4 Posted by gangly (107 posts) - - Show Bio

Dracula, sure. But I'd say, even more often that ol' Vlad himself, The Devil has has cameos in more stories than any other.

Not even sure if you'd specifically count folks like Lucifer Morningstar or Mephisto, but even so, that dude gets around.

#5 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@gangly said:

Dracula, sure. But I'd say, even more often that ol' Vlad himself, The Devil has has cameos in more stories than any other.

Not even sure if you'd specifically count folks like Lucifer Morningstar or Mephisto, but even so, that dude gets around.

Yeah, I gotta say the devil's various incarnations probably win.

#6 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost: @aztek_the_lost:

Yeah, the devil has a LOT of different incarnations and characters or what not...

But, if we stick to say, traditional comic book characters... Wolverine comes to mind. Yes, Super Man and Batman have more movies and t.v. shows, no doubt... But Wolverine dominates the Marvel Universe (and I'm not saying that's a good thing), he dominates the first three X-Men movies. Had his own movie and a second is underway. He's basically saturating the Marvel universe...

#7 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm said:

Yeah, the devil has a LOT of different incarnations and characters or what not...

But, if we stick to say, traditional comic book characters... Wolverine comes to mind. Yes, Super Man and Batman have more movies and t.v. shows, no doubt... But Wolverine dominates the Marvel Universe (and I'm not saying that's a good thing), he dominates the first three X-Men movies. Had his own movie and a second is underway. He's basically saturating the Marvel universe...

Batman and Superman have appeared in a lot more comics than Logan. I see your point, but Batman and Supes had a 35 year head-start on Wolverine. Not to mention that both have had 5+ films, numerous television series' and been consistently published in comics and other media for 70+ years. 
#8 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Timandm said:

Batman and Superman have appeared in a lot more comics than Logan. I see your point, but Batman and Supes had a 35 year head-start on Wolverine. Not to mention that both have had 5+ films, numerous television series' and been consistently published in comics and other media for 70+ years.

Absolutely... Supes and Bats came out around 1938, right? LOL! I just realized "came out" has a certain innuendo. They've been around much longer and have been in many more movies, shows, and publications... I only meant that Wolverine, for the time he's been around, seems to be smathered EVERYWHERE. Definitely over used, and I'm actually a huge Wolverine fan. I also love hamburgers, but I don't want them at every meal...

#9 Posted by jhazzroucher (15501 posts) - - Show Bio

If you'll click browse characters on top of comicvine, this is what you'll see:

Here's the top 30

NameGenderOriginPublishersIssuesLast Edit
Batman first appears in Detective Comics #27MaleHumanDC Comics
09/27/2011
Superman first appears in Action Comics #1MaleAlienDC Comics
09/27/2011
Spider-Man first appears in Amazing Fantasy #15MaleRadiationMarvel
09/26/2011
Donald Duck first appears in The Adventures of Mickey Mouse #1MaleAnimalDisney
09/24/2011
Wolverine first appears in The Incredible Hulk #180MaleMutantMarvel
09/26/2011
Huey first appears in Donald Duck Annual #1MaleAnimalDisney
09/24/2011
Dewey first appears in Donald Duck Annual #1MaleAnimalDisney
09/24/2011
Louie first appears in Donald Duck Annual #1MaleAnimalDisney
09/24/2011
Captain America first appears in Captain America Comics #1MaleHumanMarvel
09/26/2011
Mickey Mouse first appears in Mickey Mouse Book #1MaleAnimalDisney
09/24/2011
Uncle Scrooge first appears in Four Color #178MaleAnimalDisney
09/24/2011
Iron Man first appears in Tales of Suspense #39MaleCyborgMarvel
09/26/2011
Goofy first appears in Mickey Mouse Magazine #1MaleAnimalDisney
09/24/2011
Archie Andrews first appears in Pep Comics #22MaleHumanArchie
09/15/2011
Veronica Lodge first appears in Pep Comics #26FemaleHumanArchie
09/15/2011
Betty Cooper first appears in Pep Comics #22FemaleHumanArchie
09/15/2011
Thing first appears in Fantastic Four #1MaleRadiationMarvel
09/26/2011
Cyclops first appears in X-Men #1MaleMutantMarvel
09/26/2011
Mr. Fantastic first appears in Fantastic Four #1MaleRadiationMarvel
09/26/2011
Human Torch first appears in Fantastic Four #1MaleRadiationMarvel
09/26/2011
Hulk first appears in The Incredible Hulk #1MaleRadiationMarvel
09/26/2011
Jughead Jones first appears in Pep Comics #22MaleHumanArchie
09/13/2011
Dick Grayson first appears in Detective Comics #38MaleHumanDC Comics
09/26/2011
Invisible Woman first appears in Fantastic Four #1FemaleRadiationMarvel
09/26/2011
Thor first appears in Journey Into Mystery #83MaleGod/EternalMarvel
09/27/2011
Beast first appears in X-Men #1MaleMutantMarvel
09/26/2011
Wonder Woman first appears in All-Star Comics #8FemaleHumanDC Comics
09/27/2011
Storm first appears in Giant-Size X-Men #1FemaleMutantMarvel
09/26/2011
Lois Lane first appears in Action Comics #1FemaleHumanDC Comics
09/27/2011
Daisy Duck first appears in Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #1FemaleAnimalDisney
09/24/2011
#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

Dracula, Robin Hood, and Sherlock Holmes still have them beat

#11 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

They'd definitely be in the top 5, yes. 

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

Hercules pre-dates all these characters and is still used in fiction to day 

#13 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

Robin Hood alone has been in around 52 movies/tv shows not counting when he's been referenced, hundreds of books and comic books and even inspired several super heroes

#14 Posted by EdBlank (492 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha ha. Donald Duck kicks Wolvie's metal a**

#15 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7693 posts) - - Show Bio

These two are overused because they're earlier superheroes, By the time Superman and Batman were on there 100th issue, 50% of comic book characters were just debuting.

#16 Posted by PikminMania (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely god, the devil or Bob. That is a joke and I will give you an internet baked bean soup if you get the joke.

#17 Edited by jhazzroucher (15501 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Timandm said:

Good point. for Wolverine, he's gonna be faster cos he's almost in every x-men issue and he's also in avengers, aside from his own ongoing. So it's possible Wolverine can surpass them but i think it's gonna take a while before it happens.

as for now, I believe the person who made this thread is correct.

#18 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2015 posts) - - Show Bio

vampires

then supe and bat

#19 Posted by Saren (25562 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with whoever said Satan and his various incarnations.

#20 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7693 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine didnt start becoming big til the 90s and 2000s

#21 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@PikminMania: I miss that show it was easily 10 times better than any episode of Family Guy since they got uncancelled

#22 Posted by PikminMania (4628 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: Yeah I liked it too =(
#23 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow....Donald duck in front of Wolverine.....
#24 Posted by PowerHerc (82628 posts) - - Show Bio

Could be, but Wolverine is catching up!

#25 Posted by tim2081 (519 posts) - - Show Bio

@primepower53 said:

Wow....Donald duck in front of Wolverine.....

Not all that surprising considering Donald Duck was created in 1934, and Wolverine in 1974. Wolverine is definitely moving up that list faster than anybody else.

#26 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4226 posts) - - Show Bio

Had a feeling Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge were going to be up there.

#27 Posted by consolemaster001 (5130 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joesoef95: True, their two of the three most popular heroes...the third being spiderman

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.