pspin's Superman #17 - Fury At World's End review

Superman #17 Review

Superman #17 Review

Overview:

H’el on Earth concludes.

The Good:

I will admit that I did not see the end coming, at least the way H’el was stopped. It was very good and probably one of the strongest issues of the crossover. For the sake of not revealing spoilers, I won’t talk about the story but it was really good.

Scott Lobdell does a great job at giving everyone some panel time and it really is nice to see members of the Justice League and Dr. Veritas show up if only briefly. It shows consistency. All of the Super-family was well characterized from their regular series and it was nice to see that too. Lobdell does a good job of keeping everything serious and to the point as there were several loose ends that needed to be dealt with.

The art by Kenneth Rocafort is, as always, excellent. The first page was particularly good.

The Bad:

One of the biggest things about the issue that was bad was The Oracle. He shows up for two pages and then leaves. Maybe there is something more for him (it?) later in the series but for the sake of the crossover, he seemed a little pointless. While they say why he is there in cosmic terms, he doesn’t do much in relation to what is happening.

Verdict:

A solid way to end the long crossover is delivered by Lobdell and Rocafort; it was well written and beautifully drawn, and had a nice twist to end it. The continued inclusion of Wonder Woman was a nice touch instead of just randomly ending her involvement. Overall seeing the crossover end is nice because now the series can move forward with more stories.

4 out of 5

I apologize if this review sucks. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone...

Edited by jstndmnd

Thanks for the review, and leaving it spoil free. I still haven't made it to the comic store this week.

Posted by pspin

@jstndmnd: No problem. It was a pain to not spoil it but it ruining it for others would just be mean. It was a great issue though.

Posted by The Mighty Monarch

I disagree quite a bit. I loved the art, I loved the way H'el was defeated, but this issue overall was the bottom of this event. I've been on the edge of my seat, waiting for H'el's insane powers and secret scar to be explained........... and it wasn't. Not one bit. And then, in the end, HE WAS ABLE TO GET BACK IN TIME LIKE HE WANTED BUT WITHOUT THE COST OF HUMAN LIVES! HOW THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN? HOW DID HE SEE SUPERBOY COMING BUT NOT THAT OPTION!?

Edited by pspin

@The Mighty Monarch: While I do somewhat agree about H'el and his powers not being explained, I fell personally like Lobdell is going for the long game and H'el will be back somehow, I don't think it took away from the issue as a whole. In terms of the pure H'el on Earth crossover, I thought that it worked well. As to the end,

it was more luck that it ended up that way because when Kara stabbed him with the kryptonite, she pushed him into a "time shard" and he got lucky and wound up on Krypton.
Posted by The Mighty Monarch

@pspin: Whether or not Snyder plans to bring him back, a big 12 issue crossover is quite a big story to result in getting absolutely no answers whatsoever. Not to mention that none of the characters seemed all that concerned with getting them.

Posted by pspin

@The Mighty Monarch: True. I doubt that Snyder would use him though, he seems like he would either remake an old villain or make up a great Superman villain from what everyone says about what he has done with Batman. H'el seems too new.

@pspin: Oh wait, I meant to say Lobdell, not Snyder xp

Posted by pspin

@The Mighty Monarch: I got you.