gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Doc Ock's tenure in Peter Parker's body might be over but there's still an adventure left to see. Back when Spider-Man 2099 went into his past, we saw SpOck momentarily disappear. He came back with his costume in tatters and in mid-sentence. "--I'll find a way! You haven't heard the last of Doctor--what?!" We've been wondering what happened that he was about to (possibly) reveal himself. Now we get to see where he went.

It's no secret he ends up in the future. As SpOck puts it, it's the universe's way to balance things. With Miguel O'Hara in the present, SpOck ends up in the year 2099. With his intellect and the technology he's able to track down, he works out a way to try to escape the future. What's interesting is this isn't just a continuation of SpOck's story, it's also laying out the groundwork for SPIDER-VERSE. Spider-Men across the multiverse are being hunted and SpOck becomes a witness to this. Still with his newfound heroic nature, he's determined to get himself involved. Dan Slott and Christos Gage are heating things up.

Giuseppe Camuncoli's art brings us back to the series we knew, except the environment is way different. Camuncoli is not only tasked with drawing the 2099 world but he also has to depict some of the other parts of the Spider-Verse. Of course, he handles it all with ease, giving us loads of detail. It's always fun seeing alternate worlds and versions of characters.

If that wasn't enough, we also get an eight-page back up continuing SpOck's adventures in other worlds with art by Adam Kubert, written solely by Gage.

The Bad

We know Otto Octavius is/was a smart guy. It feels like a stretch how easily he adjust to being in the future and the ease he uses the futuristic technology. His goal is to use his intellect and the tech to return home. Because it's not clear how long he had to actually study the tech, it feels like he easily puts it all together to create a device that allows him to travel through time and to other dimensions. Pretty impressive for a guy that has always been defeated in the past. When he encounters the different parallel timelines, it doesn't phase him one bit.

SPIDER-VERSE is shaping up to be an interesting story but it's a little unfortunate that this final SUPERIOR Spidey story is setting that up rather than sit on its own. It could be a matter of how much time did Doc Ock spend on this adventure. We know he was only gone 24 hours in the present (even though issue #19 says he was gone nine hours) but that doesn't mean he wasn't gone for a week, a month, or whatever while traveling through time and parallel worlds. Let's hope we get enough of SpOck's return here, next issue, and in SPIDER-VERSE.

The Verdict

Doc Ock is back as the SUPERIOR Spider-Man. He hasn't been gone long but he has been missed. Now we get to find out what happened when he disappeared during issue #19. Not only does this issue start off SpOck's final adventures as Spidey, it also sets things up for SPIDER-VERSE. You get a sense of how big this story will be and seeing Ock involved is pretty cool. Dan Slott and Christos Gage have their hands full with Doc Ock's return and we get some cool art by Giuseppe Camuncoli and Adam Kubert. It would have been nice to see SpOck focus more on his own adventure but the set up for SPIDER-VERSE makes this something Spider-Man readers won't want to miss.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I finally have a reason to read Spider-Man again. Welcome back Spider-Ock.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed this. I like how he's recruiting a Spider army and look forward to seeing how it plays out in Spider-Verse. I hope he actually shows up somehow in the event. I really want to see Spock and Peter together, either as a faceoff or a team-up. This issue is actually the first thing to get me excited for Spider-Verse, I was kinda meh on it before.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ShadowSwordmaster

This was a great start of the Spider-Verse saga.

Lee_Everett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can Superior just be an ongoing again?

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it wrong that I actually like Spock?

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By eamon542000

reminds me of the 90 TAS where Madam web gathers all the Spider-men together to stop Spider Carnage

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By DrellAssassin

This was my reaction reading the whole issue. So great to have SpOck back, and I love that's he's leading the Spider-Verse charge. I also loved that he changed the AI to look like Anna Maria. With him running around calling people dolts, it's nice to see the other side of him. I really hope that after Spider-Verse they plan to keep SpOck around, he's just too rich of a character and has infinite potential.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lateralus

Love me some SpOck. Bring him back if for no other reason than to keep Anna Maria in the limelight for awhile longer, I really like that character

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

DcNoobReviews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i loved this ish, loved the setup up for spider-verse. im crossing my fingers that this is better than spider island! i have faith that it will

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Called it in terms of how he got there.

trunkszero157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was my reaction reading the whole issue. So great to have SpOck back, and I love that's he's leading the Spider-Verse charge. I also loved that he changed the AI to look like Anna Marie. With him running around calling people dolts, it's nice to see the other side of him. I really hope that after Spider-Verse they plan to keep SpOck around, he's just too rich of a character and has infinite potential.

Its great to have him back.

reminds me of the 90 TAS where Madam web gathers all the Spider-men together to stop Spider Carnage

And you know what, could that spiderman that claimed he took doc ocks tentacles could've actually been SpOck. Even his personality during that episode was like SpOcks.

Lee_Everett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maddpanda531: I'm sure Gage and Slott would be up for it.

#MakeSuperiorOngoingAgain

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Mezmero

This issue was great. It was a bit odd how easily Superior adapts to future tech considering the whole crux of his fight with Miguel was the fact that the 2099 Spider suit was so much more advanced than Parker Industries tech. I guess I can suspend my disbelief by saying that he's driven by a desire to return to Anna Maria. I had a sneaking suspicion that this would tie Superior Spidey into Spider-Verse somehow and was pleasantly surprised that it was absolutely the start of that event. Even though I dropped off since Amazing started again I now know that I will certainly be picking up Spider-Verse. We've already seen that Otto's role in the event won't last but that doesn't mean that the other Spider-Men won't continue fighting Morlun without him.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I loved this book. If this is what Spider-verse is going to be like I'm pumped.

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
    brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

HAHAHA that villain's stupid, stupid, ****ing ridiculous "steampunk" outfit. Way to live in the last decade, Marvel!

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Merc20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to show a kill list of all the Spider-Men/Women who have fallen so far, its gonna get hard to keep track of everyone once the event kicks into full gear

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Anna Maria. The part with her was so sweet. Well, in only the way sweet can be portrayed by SpOck, haha.

I did like how pompous and aggravating and obnoxious and arrogant he was, and I also like how he continued to take things in stride with what had to be done. I might not have liked reading him for so long in Spider-Man's place without any Peter Parker to lessen the annoyance, but here, with Peter back where he belongs, I was able to appreciate this character much more.

I want more Anna Maria. If that means a book for SpOck, so be it.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezmero said:

This issue was great. It was a bit odd how easily Superior adapts to future tech considering the whole crux of his fight with Miguel was the fact that the 2099 Spider suit was so much more advanced than Parker Industries tech. I guess I can suspend my disbelief by saying that he's driven by a desire to return to Anna Maria. I had a sneaking suspicion that this would tie Superior Spidey into Spider-Verse somehow and was pleasantly surprised that it was absolutely the start of that event. Even though I dropped off since Amazing started again I now know that I will certainly be picking up Spider-Verse. We've already seen that Otto's role in the event won't last but that doesn't mean that the other Spider-Men won't continue fighting Morlun without him.

where have we already seen that Otto's role in the event won't last?

Folfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked the follow up of the What if...? Spider-Man from Spider-Man vs Wolverine. That spidey turned to be such a bad-ass, it would have been a shame had they never used him. He's suit is also cool and it's so funny how the finger gun actually has a secret pistol.

All in all, wish to see more of him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.