inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Spider-Man and Flash continue to battle it out, only for Flash to escape. Peter and Anna plan a dinner date with Jonah Jameson Sr and Aunt May, but Flash stops by. Peter has a plan to help out Flash but has ulterior motives.

The last issue left off with Spider-Man standing over Flash, with the symbiote in pain from the fire and sound onslaught Spidey fired down upon him. This issue picks up where issue #22 left off. The reader is treated to a short, but very satisfying battle between the two as Flash does anything he can to escape. It's a quick and fun start to the issue, which reads great as is, but I'm sure it will read even better in trade.

Writers Dan Slott and Christos Gage don't keep everything focused on Peter. He jumps over to to Mary Jane as Captain Watanabe approaches her with a text from Carlie, who's been abducted by the goblins. It hints at the fact that Peter isn't exactly Peter. I like the fact that Slott and Gage still has some of the other characters in the Spideyverse searching for the truth.

Aside from fighting crime in a superior way, Peter Parker is solving problems in a superior way. He's helping out Aunt May with his intellect and inventiveness as well as Flash Thompson. While this version of Peter may be pompous, brash, and a bit meaner, he's become a character I sincerely enjoy. It's something completely new and interesting and makes for an extremely great read.

A few kinda spoilers here. What you thought was going to happen, when this story was announced, happens here: Superior Venom. We only get to see him briefly, but the design is very cool. It mixes elements of Superior Spider-Man, classic Venom, and even a bit of Flash Thompson's Venom, mainly in the eyes. I can't wait to see him in action next month.

Dynamite artwork from Humberto Ramos with Edgar Delgado on color and Victor Olazaba on ink. This is some great storytelling through art. Ramos keeps every page fresh with interesting page set-ups and layouts, and the reader will never feel like their reading the same style of page, over and over. I really enjoy what Delgado does with colors here too. It's a perfect compliment to Ramos' art and his shading is fantastic.

The Bad

Although it was only a minor part of this issue, I'm not "all in" when it comes to the goblin side story. While it really does take a backseat here, the scene really took me out of story and was a bit of a distraction from the rest of the awesomeness.

The Verdict

Part 2 of Darkest Hours delivers and is an extremely exciting start to a story line. Fans of Venom and Flash Thompson will really be on board here as this version of Spidey continues to battle it out with him. The writing and art are on a whole other level. This is a series, whether you agree with how this volume all starter, you should be reading. It keeps getting better and better. If that doesn't win you over, then how about the fact Miguel O'Hara is still in it?

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I cannot wait to read this!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 inferiorego  Staff

I cannot wait to read this!

Probably the best issue I've read of this series in quite a while.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Judging by last issue, I hope this one is better. I have big hopes for this arc, and I knew Otto would take the advantage and get the symbiote. I am just hoping for Slott to not downplay Flash Venom to make SpOck look good.

comixrule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait to read this! I have been loving Superior Spider-Man since issue 1.

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Al_capOWN

So what, venom dies and someone else becomes a new venom, thus becoming "superior venom"?

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@al_capown: no Spock removes the symbiotic from flash but the symbiote escapes but I'm not sure if it attaches to spock or not

Vulshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vulshock

The goblin story has felt a bit out of place at times, but I think we're going to get a great story out of it in the end.

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

quick question? we know marvel and slott are gonna stretch this gimmick out until The Amazing Spiderman 2 comes out, but whats left on the tick sheet of predictable encounters between the Doc Ock and spider-man's iconic friends foe? at this point the only person left for the Superior Spiderman to met is Gwen Stacy and Uncle Ben

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@novemberx2: I really think that after the goblin nation story the secret spiderman story is going to have peter return

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

quick question? we know marvel and slott are gonna stretch this gimmick out until The Amazing Spiderman 2 comes out, but whats left on the tick sheet of predictable encounters between the Doc Ock and spider-man's iconic friends foe? at this point the only person left for the Superior Spiderman to met is Gwen Stacy and Uncle Ben

theres going to be a whole goblin nation arc, which i believe will close it out. especially with the goblin knowing who spiderman really is now

vPuik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: Good to hear. Last few issues have been awesome so if this one is even better, I'm all in. Hopefully weather gets better tomorrow so I can go pick it up.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: Man, you've got me so excited and I have to wait until Saturday! It's times like this where a time machine would come in handy.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego: Man, you've got me so excited and I have to wait until Saturday! It's times like this where a time machine would come in handy.

come with me if you want to live
    come with me if you want to live

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By comedy_brosUSA

I really think MJ's been written COMPLETLEY out of character lately. she seems like a party girl again, and isn't compassionate like she used to be. I don't know if it's writing errors, or something else, but MJ seems to be reverting back to how she was in the 70s, although her design in this issue looks like 90s MJ

ComicKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

What is one of the most cringe-worthy moments in ALL of Spidey-history?

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Maddpanda531
    comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By comedy_brosUSA

What is one of the most cringe-worthy moments in ALL of Spidey-history?

MARVEL LIES. maybe Flash getting the symbiote off and now Ock having the symbiote. otherwise than that, nothing cringe-worthy happened.

Star_Boy616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really beginning to hate Otto lately, he acts like a supervillain most times now. This arc is especially painfully to read, 'cause Flash is like one of my favorite characters and I wanted to see him and Peter being friends and I feel like all that will be lost when the real Peter returns.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e870e328354a
    deactivated-5e870e328354a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty good issue. It seems like Otto's becoming too comfortable in Peter's body and is going back to his villainous ways, something which others around him will eventually notice which could lead to his downfall.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.