gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Like past great Spider-Man stories, a lot sometimes rides on the supporting cast. Dan Slott has seamlessly brought Spider-Man 2099 into the present as well as make a connection between his supporting cast and the modern day Spidey's. While we continue to watch Doc Ock's tenure as Spider-Man unfold with his plans for the new Spider-Island, we also get to see developments at Horizon Labs which have been brewing for some time now. There are some great and interesting characters working at Horizon. Slott's use of the to further push the story adds some variation and also makes it more enjoyable since we're not supposed to exactly like Spider-Man since he's under Octavius' control.

One of the fun aspects to Slott's stories is he either always has a plan or easily manages to connect current story lines to past events. The continued attention to detail is one of the things that makes this title fascinating. Seeing past events or objects makes it feel like each and every past story is important. That's exactly how it should be. Each adventure or moment in this title could come back later and have an impact on a future story.

Seeing Spider-Man 2099 again is a treat. It's unfortunate it's not under better circumstances. You'll find yourself on the edge of your seat as you turn each page, not knowing what might happen next for him or others. As the main action unfolds, we get to see more subplots growing as well with Green Goblin just about ready to make his move.

Ryan Stegman's art just keeps getting better and better. His scenes with Spidey and Spidey 2099 have such an powerful look to them. You get sucked into the action and can't help but stop to look at all the detail at the same time. Edgar Delgado's colors make the art truly shine. The way some scenes are bathed in light or in shadows really enhances the mood of each scene.

The Bad

This is just a completely fun story. Time travel stories that bring known characters together often feel gimmicky or like there won't be any lasting impact but that's not the case here. Seeing Spider-Man 2099 in the present feels like this won't just be a simple story soon forgotten for the characters involved. We know Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2099 have met before but how much did that story really matter to Spider-Man mythos? This story is definitely driving the plot and series along. In other words, I didn't have any problems with this issue.

The Verdict

With each issue Dan Slott continues to make SUPERIOR Spider-Man an interesting read. Like others, I would love to see the return of Peter, but there's no denying the opportunity we have in these stories for new and different sorts of stories. This issue is a perfect example in illustrating how different and free from conflict the story would be if it were Peter under the mask. The idea of bringing in Spider-Man 2099 almost feels like a gimmick but it works wonderfully here. With Ryan Stegman's art and Edgar Delgado's colors, it's a visual feast to go along with the fun and exciting issue. Seeing traces of past events play into the bigger picture is always cool. Month after month, Slott and Stegman show us this is a comic not to be missed.

jkma68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is probably my 2nd favorite book right now. I know a lot of people were not happy (to say the least) with Dan Slott for making SpOck...but I am of the mindset that Peter Parker will be back so I'll just enjoy the ride while he is gone.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 2

i dont like how miguel was treated in this issue. I felt it was one sided the whole time as far the fights went. The lab workers , i really didnt care for either.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@cavemold said:

i dont like how miguel was treated in this issue. I felt it was one sided the whole time as far the fights went. The lab workers , i really didnt care for either.

Yes. Me too.
    Guy was treated like a kid.
    Last issue was well done.

and the constant Jerk Peter feel is getting boring... kinda

HollowPrince65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually am loving this right now. Now more than ever to be honest. Finally more and more people are starting to look at Peter and go "Thats not right...." and the stories here are actually really really fun....can I get a stand alone 2099 comic?....please...

Revendawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I agree Miguel gets kinda pushed around here, but in a lot of ways that's par for the course in a 2nd part of 3 for the hero. Make no mistake Miguel is shaping up to be the hero of this story. Wondering if sacrificing himself to change the future (most likely for the better) is something that SpOck is simply incapable of at this point. He might have gotten roughed up a bit, but I think we'll see him take a more center and important stage next issue.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@jkma68 said:

This is probably my 2nd favorite book right now. I know a lot of people were not happy (to say the least) with Dan Slott for making SpOck...but I am of the mindset that Peter Parker will be back so I'll just enjoy the ride while he is gone.

I agree,my friend.

I mean,if Peter was permanently dead and never coming back,I would be pissed,too....

but Im actually loving superior Spiderman. It's really good. And I like the change....as long as it's not permanent (which I don't believe it is).

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Still loving this series so much. If I had one problem with this issue it's that the previous cliffhanger made it look like it would a knock down drag out fight between the two Spider-Men but it really wasn't much of a fight. It turned out to be enjoyable nonetheless since it was more about Miguel saving someone's life than him defeating Superior. I know the haters think fans of this book relish the idea of Ock being better than Peter but it's actually just as entertaining seeing Superior slowly self destruct as we all knew he would. Things are only getting more interesting.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love this series. Nice issue.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff85
    spacemanspiff85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the only time I've ever really been seriously interested in Spiderman, but what's kind of bugging me about the way Otto is now is that when he first took over Peter's body and memories, I'm pretty sure he decided to be a hero because he'd seen everything Peter had done and was sort of honoring that. Now he's just completely being a tyrant and bully basically. I know he no longer has Peter's memories, but he pretty quickly gave up on trying to live up to his legacy at all, without much acknowledgment in the story.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

do we really want Peter back?! it'll be good for a few months and then...same old, same old. Otto is fresh, and the way everything he says or thinks is done with an exclamation mark is just hilarious. These feel like genuinely NEW stories.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.