gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Just when you think you know what Dan Slott is up to, he shakes things up. We've seen the growing struggle between the 'essence' of Peter Parker and Doc Ock taking place within Spider-Man's body. Peter had been getting closer and closer to gaining control. It now appears that the struggle has ended with the Superior Spider-Man the reigning champion.

Octavius continues to show how he feels he can be a better Spider-Man. There are things he's doing more efficiently but it's clear his arrogance will get the better of him. His new take on crimefighting, with a more violent nature, is starting to make some people suspicious. This all can be seen as a big science experiment. You would always hear those that craved a more violent Spider-Man and that is what we're getting. This may not be our Spider-Man but Dan Slott is taking the idea further and further. People have to understand there will be an inevitable downfall. Some of that is becoming apparent in this issue as well. There is just that feeling of not being sure what or when the next crazy event will take place.

There is also the fact that Slott is finally coming back to the Norman Osborn plot thread seen in the issues before the big battle between Spidey and Ock took place. No one has seemed to really notice Osborn's disappearance at the hospital and seeing the what happens here is raising the excitement level.

Ryan Stegman continues to do a superb job on the art. This issue isn't heavy on the action but there is plenty to see. Even just looking at the detail in the backgrounds is nice. When Spidey is in action, it is a little hard to look at due to his more violent approach but Stegman makes it all look so dang good.

The Bad

There's a tiny feeling that issue is just building up what's coming up next. That's not a bad thing but you can't help but want immediate action.

We are seeing more people notice Spider-Man's change in behavior. Except Otto doesn't seem concerned about this. Is it his arrogance taking over or is he just oblivious that changing Spider-Man's M.O. would arouse suspicion?

The Verdict

Otto Octavius may have won his recent battle against 'Peter Parker' but it looks like there's some big trouble brewing. Dan Slott continues to develop the direction Otto is taking Spider-Man and as hard as it is to think about, you can't help but want to see how it's all going to play out. You can see that Otto's arrogance will get the better of him. There's no way the battle with Peter is over. Ryan Stegman makes it all look so good. You'll find yourself pausing to look at everything in the panels. With the return of a certain Spider-Man threat, it's going to be great to see how prepared Otto will be. This may not be the Spider-Man you grew up with but, man oh man, there's just no telling what Slott is going to do next. That's what makes it all so interesting.

djluongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By djluongo

Can I just ask something? Just one question?

Who was asking for a more violent Spider-Man? Why would we want a more violent Spider-Man? If they wanted a violent Spider-Man... they should read Scarlet Spider! I thought that was Marvel's answer to making Spidey more gritty and such, not to mention it's really good.

bookerman20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of Spidey-Ock lines to his enemies are now starting to be hysterical....

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck

@djluongo: Remember 'Back in Black'? I remember people cheering when Peter took on Kingpin and almost killed him. There are some, not everyone, that likes the darker heroes. I am not saying I am one of those.

Poncho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Poncho

i would totally be ok with this series being once a month if stegman could do every issue. he is THE spider-man artist.

Revendawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@poncho said:

i would totally be ok with this series being once a month if stegman could do every issue. he is THE spider-man artist.

Totally, his work is fantastic.

Avatar image for mynamewasdeleted
    MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ooooohh pretty fingernails

stetson12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By stetson12

I loved this issue, I love the Superior Spider-Man story arc so far, and it just keeps getting better and better. I miss Peter Parker, but I feel that his return will be epic so I'm fine with the story Slott is dishing out so far.

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@g_man said:

@djluongo: Remember 'Back in Black'? I remember people cheering when Peter took on Kingpin and almost killed him. There are some, not everyone, that likes the darker heroes. I am not saying I am one of those.

and Grim Hunt!

ParkerLuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i was never really a fan of ramos, so its refreshing to see stegman continue to work on this book. now all we need is a competent writer to undo this monstrosity of a storyline

Avatar image for theamazingspiderman2121
    theamazingspiderman2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the superior spiderman series I want peter back

HollowPrince65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed this issue. I think we'll see Peter creep back into he picture next year, but till then....just remember...its comics, anything is possible

stetson12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@parkerluck: I understand how you don't like the story and want peter back(I too want peter back lol), but I think Dan Slott is a very competent writer. I know that he has a triumphant return for Peter Parker its only a matter of time. Dan is a huge spider-man fan, you can see it in his interviews and in his writing. He continues to make references to issues from all the decades spiderman has been in circulation. So I believe that he has some truly great stories coming in the future. Hope you continue to read, cuz I think its going to get really interesting

BreZeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People do realize this is just a LONG villain arc right?

InkInk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This series is losing me now, I have no idea but it just doesn't do much of anything for me and I have started letting issues build up before reading them. I guess with the many status quo changes and the little things that make me believe Peter will be all alone when he gets back its just depressing.

Barkley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all this is just people waiting for peter to come back. which means its not good story if we all are just waiting to see the end

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bogey

Spock almost got some midget booty.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I am feeling like these Superior Spider-Man comics would be better as a trade after the major story has happened, rather than waiting issue by issue. Its also hard to read for me because I want Peter to return and now that he is gone "for good" it feels like I am just buying the issue but not wanting to read it. I like the idea but would like it more if it was over maybe.

Also, I was expecting more of the humble Doc Ock from 700, the one who didn't want the responsibility but had to accept it because Peter died in Ock's body, and the one who vowed to honor his heroism. Instead he is returning to his old Ock self. Which I guess is the point and good story telling, showing its hard to change. But still, I was hoping to see Ock try to be more of a hero.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hated the idea from the very first moment for many reasons. Nevertheless, I gave it a try, but... am I the only one that finds it really boring? I get the picture and it's clear Peter will come back victorious, but I can't say I enjoy the stories anymore. It's always, I'm Octavius, I'm superior...and to be honest, the fact that nobody noticed till now that something's wrong...come on, man. Really?

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@g_man: Yeah,Kingpin sent an assassin to kill Aunt May....i cheered too,when PETER beat the living crap out of Fisk......but not this....no.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By InnerVenom123

All this mad. Tastes like victory.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PunyParker

@theacidskull: Dont hate Superior Spider-Man......he'll kill you.....with a gun.....in your face.....

Or rape you!...at least you have a choice!

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PunyParker

@theacidskull: I dont like it too.....but i'm afraid its gonna stay for a while...

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am more curious as to who will be responsible for bringing back Peter. It kinda feels like Spock Ock is the substitute teacher and instead of a few days, his assignment is lasting a month. Superior Spider-Man doesn't read to me as a Spider-Man book -- it's a Spock Ock book and I am getting a little bored with it.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I love that cover.

I'm planning on reading this book in trade, but I love how nuts the premise is, and I'm glad to see that it's maintaining its quality.

_jackbauer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superior Spider-man has easily become one of my favorite books on my pull list. Ock's voice is just so refreshing and entertaining to read.

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was digging this series until this issue. Sott's plotting and story if fine with me but his inconsistent writing is really starting to poke through and wear me down. Sometimes Peter and Ock sound and act like they are supposed to sometimes they don't. Sometimes the dialogue seems from this decade and sometimes is feels like it's from the 60's. In one issue Ock does an ok job of acting like peter (for example in this one he sounds a lot like peter) and the next issue Ock fails at it. I'm going to continue reading to see how it (I'm still enjoying it just now as much as I was) goes and maybe some of the things I'm having problems with may have some reasoning behind them. However it's now longer going to be on the top of pile.

Also last time I checked Carlie was a cop right? She's not an ME she would not "perform the autopsy herself"

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Thanks for the accurate review! Still loving this series but I can recognize the abundance of set up in this issue. At least stupid ghost Peter is finally done in this series. That's been my least favorite part of this book and now it's gone. Not a lot of huge pay offs overall but I'm excited to see where things go from here. I never thought I'd be in agreement with JJ about Spider-Man's behavior. The man's a hero! I also find the idea of Spidey dating a little person really hilarious and kind of intriguing. Hasn't he gotten enough of these super hot idealized Marvel girls? It's about time he lowers his standards to someone with such a glaring physical defect that he still admires and respects. It almost makes him less shallow than Peter.

This is no longer going to be the typical story of anti-hero versus bad guy but rather a slug fest to see once and for all which of Spider-Man's 2 biggest villains are truly superior. Both have hatched a scheme to defeat Spider-Man so who will be the ultimate victor? My guess is on Peter Parker but hopefully that conclusion is a long ways off from now. This is the most I've been interested in Spidey for a long time because I never liked the way he fights. According to Comicvine he's appeared in over nine thousand comics and I'm not looking forward to another nine thousand books of vanilla Spider-Man. The ending of the issue reminded me of the babe, with the power of voodoo.

Loading Video...

cerial442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#33  Edited By cerial442

I wasn't a fan of the first issue, and didn't think it was worth $8 a month. What really makes me hate this book is Dan Slott's attitude over critisim. When Rob Liefield looks more constrained you know you have issues.

Avatar image for the_human_stain
    The Human Stain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care for the idea of Doctor Octopus as Spider-Man but I can't look away.

VaizD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By VaizD

I feel like the opening of this issue highlights why Ock will never be the man Pete is. While, yes, he aspires to be a better superhero, he does it by considering himself above everyone else. Even as a purported 'hero', he has the same arrogant streak he's always had, he just has Peter's powers to back it up now. Parker never considered himself above the level of the common man, and that made him a good hero.

freeballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

just passing the time reading some good books until ock gets his ass kicked, hopefully for the last time. Scarlet spider is turning out pretty good.

NathanXplosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who dislikes Peter Parker but is a fan of Dr. Octopus I freaking love this book. I do sympathies with the people that hate this premise of this book. For me, it would be like if Edward Nigma took over Bruce Wayne's body and tried to be a better Batman.

toxin45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Well look at the Inferior Spider-Man it's about Doc Ock losing to the three Spider-mans Venom/Flash,Scarlet Spider, and Spidey 2099

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

OSBORN IS BACK!!! :D

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man said:

I was one of those people. However I do feel Back in Black was handled alot better than Superior Spider-Man, so there is that :P

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hate hate and also hate.

that is all/.

Dan Slott has probably got this song playing in the background when he writes an issue for Superior Spider-Man.

Loading Video...

On another note, Kaine's gonna meet up with SpOck in Scarlet Spider issue 20. I bet your hoping Kaine breaks Otto's neck like the first time he fought him :D

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 owie  Moderator

I think it will be interesting to see Superior Spidey go up against an actual arch villain. So far it's all been piddly bad guys, or at least bad guys that have been made to see piddly. Maybe he'll get humbled a bit.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hawkguy

Damn people if you don't like it, avoid it. Like you're all saying, there's Venom, Scarlet and Avenging if this isn't for you. No one is forcing this into your pull list. All you're doing is making Slott laugh, generating more sales and more attention to the book.

Personally, this comic is one that I can't wait to come back home and read, its fun, its edgy and its different. Curse a man for changing things up right? We know Peter will be back, how can he not be. Sit back and enjoy the damn journey. Can't wait for the next issue, but I'm confused, will Osborn/Hobgoblin be referred to as Goblin King now???

Kurolegacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawkguy said:

Damn people if you don't like it, avoid it. Like you're all saying, there's Venom, Scarlet and Avenging if this isn't for you. No one is forcing this into your pull list. All you're doing is making Slott laugh, generating more sales and more attention to the book.

Personally, this comic is one that I can't wait to come back home and read, its fun, its edgy and its different. Curse a man for changing things up right? We know Peter will be back, how can he not be. Sit back and enjoy the damn journey. Can't wait for the next issue, but I'm confused, will Osborn/Hobgoblin be referred to as Goblin King now???

It'd be a lot easier to avoid if Marvel didn't seem so content on having him guest star in so many other books thus forcing him down our throats. And it'd be a much more enjoyable ride if it wasn't for him being such a self-important tool. His overall character can be summed up by this image alone:

No Caption Provided

At least in a team book someone like that would have others to balance out the personality, but as the center character in a solo, he's just annoying and boring.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

I am more curious as to who will be responsible for bringing back Peter. It kinda feels like Spock Ock is the substitute teacher and instead of a few days, his assignment is lasting a month. Superior Spider-Man doesn't read to me as a Spider-Man book -- it's a Spock Ock book and I am getting a little bored with it.

it's also terribly executed. i thought slott loved spider-man, but he completely destroyed the character

Damn straight!

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By tximinoman

I really don't get all the hate towards this comic. This is an awesome comic. It's fun, it's well written and when you think you know what they're going to do, they go the other way around. Also, come on guys, we all know Peter will eventually back, why don't you just enjoy this story as it's happening?

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@tximinoman: some of us don't find it enjoyable at all. There's still the matter of Peter's inevitable reboot when he returns. Reading to the very end makes it even more uncomfortable for that reason.

Kurolegacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Kurolegacy

@tximinoman: Honestly I haven't found the book to be remotely unpredictable outside of the reveal of Ghost Peter (which the truth behind is a bit of a sleezy move IMO) and that he gave up MJ. Other than those, the book hasn't surprised me simply because really, if it isn't something Spider-Man would do, he's done and that doesn't seem to be changing.

As for enjoying the ride till Peter returns, that becomes hard to enjoy considering that literally anything that Doc Ock messes up in Peter's life it's Peter who will have to pay for in the end. As is so far, the Avengers don't trust him and that's just in the first few issues. Longer this goes on, more chances he's gonna get, especially since Ghost Peter isn't around to restrain him anymore.

AWeekInGeekdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm enjoying the ride till Peter returns, I don't really mind even if Ock doing things so differently. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.