theacidskull's Superior Spider-Man #9 - Troubled Mind, Part Three: Gray Matters review

The Inferior Spider-Man!

SPOILERS!

hey There, as you Might Know, Something Happens in issue 9 of superior Spider-man, Something that will change everything, and it does , but is that change good? most definitively Not! What happens in this issue, made me, someone who has from the beginning been Okay with superior, almost vomit. I'll be honest, from the start i haven't been that mad since we all knew that spider-man( peter parker) would eventually return, I made this Very clear from my very first Review, but right now? i take back everything good i ever said about superior, EVERYTHING.

There are Two reason why this issue got one star, one being the fact that the new CV doesn't let me grade a comic book below than One, in fact i can't even give it a half star anymore. The Second reason is that despite the abominable writing, the art was Very good, i love stegmans work here, which is the only thing that kept me through to the end.

One of the many things that Allowed me to cope with superior was the fact that Ock was much more irresponsible with the power, and he was not the true hero we all knew and loved, but all that was destroyed here. Let me elaborate.

Ock Enters peters Brain to finely get rid of the ghost phantom spider-man who has been influencing his actions. ock figures out that the only way to get rid of peter Parker, is to erase his early life completely. Ock, not only defeats peter in his own mind, he humiliates him. Now don't get me wrong, this could have been a good thing, i mean, last weak flash/venom, got completely decimated by Toxin, and it was bloody awesome, but the setting was different there, and it's different here. Look i knew otto was going to win, i really did, i mean, every solicicts showed that spider-man was no longer peter anyways so what should have i expected? but if only that was the only problem.

Not only that, but in this issue, slott makes it so that otto, is more worthy of being spider-man than peter parker, and why is that? because peter parker is the bets hero in the universe of course, why else wouldn't he be worthy of being spider-man? because otto kills, and makes others safe by doing so, he is THEREFORE SOMEHOW more responsible than peter parker, who in case you didn't know, is the greatest hero in the marvel universe.

And To add insult to injury, slott does something that basically makes peter parker a jerk and an a$$. Honestly, i would forgive all of what i've stated above , but this was simply unforgivable. So Peter Parker, the greatest hero in the MU, risks a little girls life to save himself, yes, you hear me right. In the previous issue, Pete tried to interfere with otto when he was operating on the sick little girl, because he thought otto could have discovered him, therefore, in order not to risk his own hide, peter, the greatest hero in the marvel universe, someone who has risked his life a billion ties, was too worried about himself too even consider that the little girl could have died...

This was horrible and simply painful, it hurt me, mentally and physically. I'm not going to hate slott, i'm not going to go on random threads and insult him, i'm just gonna stop buying superior, because it's terrible, and any spider-man fan should realize that. and i don't want peter to be perfect boy scout either, but this was simply just CIS to it's maximum, and spider-man Might never heal from this, hope he does though.

Thank you.

Recommendation: What did you're mind naturally fill in here?

Posted by Lvenger

All of my hate goes to Slott. You know I might just write a review myself tonight.

@lvenger said:

PLEASE WRITE ONE!

Posted by Lvenger

@lvenger said:

PLEASE WRITE ONE!

I actually might. Hell I'll have one done tonight. I just need the scans to go on though ;)

Posted by tigerkaya

And I loved so much of Slott's run on Spider-Man up until Superior. Now I find out he screws up Peter Parker's character. This is the same guy who who's all about writing them in character. Such a disappointment, well glad I stopped giving a damn about Marvel.

Posted by broo1232

I really aren't looking forward to this any more but then again I really haven't enjoyed this series and I expected this to be bad.

@theacidskull said:

I probably won't but may just buy to see the art :D

NUUUUU! IT's NOT WORTH IT!

@theacidskull said:

I probably won't but may just buy to see the art :D

NUUUUU! IT's NOT WORTH IT!

I know :D I won't get it now :)

Edited by frogdog

How the mind battle between peter and ock would be written by not Dan Slott

Doc Ock: I don't need friends

Spider-man: Seeing how I was your mind as well, I thought of awesome way for you to sort out your daddy issues

Doc Ock: What?!

Daddy Ock: Son I'm disappoint (Whips out the belt)

Doc Ock: No daddy no (

Or

Doc Ock: I don't need friends

Brings the sinister six

Spider-man: Oh holy cow burgers, not the sinister six (sarcasm)

Doc Ock: You dare mock my superior intellect, arachnid ?!

Spider-man: I wouldn't be if, I didn't have friends that could fight for themselves.

Brings the avengers, Future Founation, with black cat & Kaine

Doc Ock: F***

Posted by frogdog

@theacidskull: There are so many plot-holes with mind battle, the worst one was whole guilt trip.

@frogdog said:

I know right?

Edited by broo1232

There is one positive the cover that is amazing!

Edited by freeballer

I HAVEN'T been with slott's "superior". I've made my feelings obvious, but I did give it a chance. Reading a friend's issue until now. Both him and I have stopped reading after their assassination of parker's character. He's cancelled both "superior" and avenging spiderman.

But don't worry. I think marvel will soon see the light as more and more readers stop buying OR we'll simply have to wait until ASM2 for Parker's return. One way or another this whole thing wreaks of a cheap marketing ploy, with little respect for the average reader.

Edited by xkoenig

Well, it certainly is a marketing ploy. I mean, the whole 'Marvel NOW' thing is all a marketing ploy, so duh! Wasn't the death of Superman a marketing ploy too? And the death of Batman? And the death of Cap? Peter will be back soon enough.

Edited by freeballer

@xkoenig: There are good marketing ploys and bad. I use the death of superman, because up to this point it has been the worse of the worse. It seems, lately, marvel just runs back to back "events" and have little concern about the readers. Something that has backfired - at least for me. I used to say, "at least there's spider-man".... No More!

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

I don't think it was as bad as a one star. The overall end, and the fact that Ock beat Spidey deserves nothing, but the art is amazing, and the fight between Peter and Ock was interesting, especially when we see Peter's characteristics show through. I do agree that the overall issue leave a bad taste to me as a fan, as Spidey is my second favourite comic character, and favourite Marvel character, but there were some good things about this issue that merit it more than a 1, though not much. I'd rate it 2, and will eventually get round to reviewing this myself.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

well i respectfully disagree :)

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@theacidskull: Fair enough, but did you not like how we finally got to see some proper Peter time, as so far he's just been whining, and worrying, whereas this issue showed the type of person he really is.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

According to slott, peter risked a little girls life to save his own, thats not the spider-man i know.

Edited by johnkmccubbin91

@theacidskull: Besides this though, as it showed the type of person he is. Plus you could argue that he didn't trust Ock. There is also the fact that Peter may be more scared of proper death than doing the right thing, as it's bad enough being trapped in you r own head, but to not exist at all. I do however agree that this isn't the usual Spidey act, and was a little annoying, although it was more the fact that Ock tried to make himself look more righteous than Peter that annoyed me, as he's killed many innocents.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

Good points but i just simply can't deal with this. i much prefer scarlet spider :P

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@theacidskull: I stopped getting Scarlet Spider but when I read it it was better. I just hope they change either writer, or more so put Peter back in his body, as Slott did a good job prior to Superior.

why'd you stop reading? :P

and yeah, don't know why slott went off track

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@theacidskull: When Marvel NOW started I needed to drop something, and that was what got chosen, but I may get the issues I missed when Avenging Spider-Man ends as I also plan on dropping other stuff like Cable and X-Force. How good on 1-5 stars would you rate Scarlet overall since Marvel NOW ?

It's a real shame.

It's a real shame.

overall? 4.5/5 i think, or AT least 4

Edited by broo1232

Yep this was awful read it now I would give it a better rating like a 3 (because the art is fantastic) but because of Peter risking a girls life to save his own I rate it a 2 (would be 1.5 if that were allowed) plus Doc Ock is a better Spider-man because he kills? and Peter in this issue just came of as arrogant and a bit of a douche.

Edited by johnkmccubbin91

@theacidskull: That's good. Will at least get in trade if not comic.

@broo1232: I don't mind an arrogant Peter, as that's the type of character he is, but the possibly harming a child to save himself was a bit out of character, but I can believe that he may have changed since dying, as he may be scared of not existing any more, although I still don't like that.

Posted by broo1232

@johnkmccubbin91: No I can understand that but this is the bad sort of arrogant over confident and believes he will win and keeps on telling Ock he will win I mean this didn't show Peter's good side at all. My point with the girl is in Amazing Spider-man 700 when he is dying he tries to save his friends even when he's about to die but he yet he tries to save his own life instead of a girl and she's really young? I'm not a big Spidey fan I like him but he's not in my top 5 characters but I understand that this is something he would never do he always goes out of his way to save other people.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@broo1232: It did in a way, as it showed that he had more resolve than Ock, and that he had people that cared about him, and I believe that the confidence was meant to show that he's still fighting, as I believe it's meant to give the kind of movie feel when someone's almost beat, but gets up laughing (if you get what I mean), but that's just how I saw it. I wasn't disputing that this is against Spidey's characteristics, as it is, but what I was saying that he wasn't actually dead then, whereas now he's been trapped in his body, and serious may be afraid of no longer existing. That's how I see it, but I still don't like it, even if it was slightly interesting, and controversial.

Posted by broo1232

@johnkmccubbin91: I suppose but because of this you couldn't really choose who you liked more Ock was trying to wipe out Spider-man and gets a load of villains to kill Peter's friends who you are you suppsosed to like it just sort of alienated me because I want to route for the character. I think you are probably right but some of the stuff Peter said just put me off. I get what you mean there but still I hated it Ock came out as a better person in this and I've not been rooting for him since the start of this run.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@broo1232: Yeah I see what you mean. I too hate that Ock has came out the better person, although I hope that this is rectified in the future.

Posted by broo1232

@johnkmccubbin91: I hope so too as I hate the idea of a villain being better than the hero especially Spider-man it's just wrong in my opinion.

Edited by Deadpool_Respawn82

Here is a thought for everyone... if Peter's consciousness was interfering with Doc Ock i.e. rubbing off on him (restraining him at times making him "hold back") what if Doc Ock's mind was also doing the same to Peter? Making Peter a little more egotistical than usual, more fearful and more willing to do questionable things to survive? That might explain why Pete acted the way he did with the brain scanner and little girl. Two conflicting personalities in the same head rubbing off on each other, would explain things a little.

However, I agree that the writing for spidey the last few years has been nearly as bad as some of the Joker's punchlines. Destroying MJ and Pete's marriage? Killing Peter in Ultimate Marvel? The whole Gauntlet story arc? It seems that as marvel went to its "heroic age" they put all their supposedly "dark & edgy" writers on Spidey. Why darken one of Marvel's two "white" knight style characters? (the other being Main universe Captain America). Dark and edgy isn't the reason I read Spidey. I read for old fashion good guy wins stories. If I want dark I read my other favorite Marvel wiseguy Deadpool. And Punisher for when I just need to see the bad guys die.

That isn't what Spidey is about and I think that they are missing that at Marvel. Spider-man to me is... hope. Hope to overcome adversity without resorting to questionable tactics. The hope of finding a way to win without anyone dying, even the villains (even though they may richly deserve it) Peter Parker's unending struggle to live up "With great power, comes great responsibility." is what makes me read the comic. Because he is the everyman who screws up and has the worst luck but always holds on to hope that inspires us to try and be better ourselves. That is why I don't like Superior, and I am eagerly awaiting Peter Parker's return.

@deadpool_respawn82:

well thats a good theory :) , however if it was so it should have been explained, you see this is the problem most of the times, writers Leave these big Gaps that makes no sense. However, if hope later slott reveals that This is what Really happened.

The Gauntlet was good and it was at least well executed, and there were some light spider-man stories, i enjoyed the daredevil team up he had for example. But The rest was terrible, i agree on that, If marvel wants spider-man to be AT LEAST at times a bit more dark, it should be well done, for example, no Turing back was horrible because peter was willing to kill The lizard, which makes no sense. But i agree, spidey should be more lighthearted and fun. Though a few WELL executed dark stories won't hurt.

THANK YOU! exactly! which makes it even more SAD now that spider-man/ock is an ego maniac who cares about himself and kills the villains -______-

Edited by Deadpool_Respawn82

@theacidskull: The occasional darker spider-man story is welcome but they have be rare in order to really highlight Peter Parker's struggle. If every other battle is one that drives spidey to the brink you start losing the essence of the character to me. Good examples of darker Spidey stories would be the death of gwen stacey, spider-man no more (an early encounter with Doc Ock), the first carnage saga. I didn't like Gauntlet because it struck me as going a little too far with things.

On a different note, what would you think if they did a short story arc involving spidey going after a very dangerous but unpowered criminal who uses his head much the same way Parker does when he is in trouble? Again, it might just be me but I miss the old Spider-Man stories of him being a crime-fighter not just someone who stops super-villains.

Edited by TheAcidSkull

1. Good point, the more rare it, the better :)

2. that would actually be pretty awesome if you ask me, good idea ^__^

Posted by Kid_Nacho

@tigerkaya: Gotta say, the whole 'Peter nearly being responsible for a little girl dying' thing was completely out of character. As the review said, he's risked his life for people and strangers literally countless times, yet the possibility of being discovered was enough to make him turn his back on everything he is.

It was emotional to see Parker go out like that, but maybe now he's gone there can be some greater strides in Ock's character development.

Posted by tigerkaya

@kid_nacho: I know I hated that, though one friend tells me that the ghost was nothing more than a carbon copy which would explain that part. As to seeing more Spock I'm not on the boat on this one. I'd rather read an ongoing of Doc Ock as he is four tentacles and all and not the masquerade in Peter's body making everyone an idiot to not realizing he's not the real Parker.