circularlogic's Superior Spider-Man #2 - The Peter Principle review

Slott Knew Better.

So, let's just get this right out of the way. Spider-pus does not rape Mary Jane. So while I won't apologize for worrying that Slott would pull something like that, I do admit that it was probably my biggest subjective issue with this book so far. Now that this whole thing is over with I can now just focus on how, objectively, this book fails.

That fair?

Now, my biggest problem with this book is that even though nothing bad truly happened, this entire issue was focused at least on Spider-pus desperately TRYING to rape Mary-Jane, which I found to be EXTREMELY unsettling. It was just so creepy, seeing page after page of him desperately trying to get in MJ's pants. 2 issues in, and I'm seeing a pattern: This new Spider-man is just an incredibly disturbing person, and it really kills his likability. Not only that, a large part of the humor in this book comes from his perverseness and it just doesn't work.

Worse still is Peter Parker's blue ghost. My god, was that the most annoying thing ever. Panel after panel of him bitching at Doctor Octopus, who we've established can't even hear him! It's so grating, seeing him there in just about every scene whining about how people don't realize somethings wrong and trying to stop Otto from screwing up.

I'm pretty sure that Peter's ghost is in this book for 2 reasons: to calm fans down from their justified anger towards this book after the events of ASM 700, and to give a mouthpiece to everyone reading this and seeing just what's wrong with this set-up, as if Slott is saying "I get it, this really doesn't work. Here, Peter will even agree with you, just shut up and let me write".

Now, the ending does give a surprising twist that resolves this rather unsettling conflict, and while it is clever... I just don't buy it. 2 issues in, and Slott seems unable to decide if Otto is the hero or the villain. Issue 1 established that he was still a complete bastard, but now, out of nowhere, he's being noble? Worse still is that his sudden change of heart comes out of nowhere, with absolutely no build up. In less than 2 panels, he goes from "Man, I really want to f*** this redhead" to "Now I love her!" and I just cannot believe it.

Ryan Stegman's art, while not bad, really doesn't work for me. I have heard rumors that the problem is the inker and colorist assigned to him, but I'm looking back on my old issues of Scarlet Spider and just can't figure out why there's such a drop in quality. I suspect he's adjusting his usual style in some ways, and it really drags this book down. It's a pretty book, but not really doing it for me.

I really didn't like this book. I really don't like this series. There's decent moments, but nothing really notable. The conflict over whether or not Spider-pus is a hero or a villain is incredibly shaky, Peter Parker is annoying, no one is putting 2 and 2 together except for Carlie, apparently, and the art isn't nearly as good as it could be. I feel people are still in a bit of a high over Peter not really being dead, and it's not going to last.

Posted by blofeld666

Charlie is a dectective overall so her putting it all together is believable & might just be the person who makes the other see what apperently only she can see. now if oct sleeps with mary jane, well lets just say some wont be characters after this Story arch ends

looks like the issue wasnt so bad after all though i wont read it until tomorrow,

Posted by AranhaMarcial

The art of resvista and suffering, the script my GOD who can write something so without rhyme or reason. I swore I would not read this ... I think this magazine swears garbage and an insult WORD garbage can be reused and recycled, but this story, I do not see how or why, Slott managed Kill ALL that was good in Spider-Men. Worse impossible, really do not do more to save what already was the last true Hero of MARVEL! Lost hopes! Slott bad and you won, porfavor stop torturing us and soon the stroke of mercy.

Posted by Tiso

It is clear a lot of readers won't give Slott's run an honest shot. I can understand, many fans are upset with a death/not really death with a beloved character, such as Peter Parker. With that said, people aren't reading with an open mind and giving this TEMPORARY change a chance. From the very first issue, every one was screaming bloody murder about doc ock/spider-man/Peter Parker raping Mary Jane. It' s not rape, nor was it ever hinted that this new Peter Parker wanted to rape her. Peter and Doc Ock are one in the same, now; People will have to accept that Peter-Otto are the status quo right now. With that said, they are one and the same. Naturally, Otto/Peter will have feelings for Mary Jane and that is made clear at the end of SSM #2. The decision he makes is a very wise and hard, which shows his dedication to this new life. /end rant

Edited by skyjumpermike

The creepiest thing is all the fanboys focusing on the sex that has not happend. If you are SURE you're going to hate, read two issues and hate it, don't read it. I don't know why people go out of their way to crap on things that they have a closed mind about.

Edited by CircularLogic

@Tiso said:

When you steal somebody's identity to have sex with someone close to them, it is rape. When you steal someone's identity and use it to try to have sex with someone, it is attempted rape. Therefore I can criticize this issue being devoted solely to Doc Ock trying to rape Mary Jane. And I said right from the start that since the rape didn't happen, I was going to criticize this book on it's own merit, and one of it's core problems is a thoroughly unlikable lead character and an annoying blue ghost who won't shut up. Whether you agree or disagree with me is your own opinion, but don't say I didn't give it a chance.

@skyjumpermike said:

I admitted right from the start that the rape didn't happen. My problem was that this entire issue was devoted to such a creepy premise in the first place. I think my review was more than fair, I never criticized the idea of Ock as spider-man, and I even went so far as to bash Peter Parker's presence in this book, so my opinions aren't driven by nostalgia for the previous era of Spider-man. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I had a closed mind. I just found it terrible.

Posted by Wyldsong

@CircularLogic said:

@Tiso said:

@skyjumpermike said:

No, you force yourself on someone that says no, that is rape. Someone trying to get in someone's pants under false pretenses (male and female), while low, is not rape if it is consensual. Never once did he try and force himself on her, and even at the end comes to a realization on why it won't work between them.

He takes her on several dates, tries to romance her and fails to get a kiss, and doesn't push the issue when he fails. The he saves her, and is about to get the kiss, and turns it down...yeah, that really looked like he was trying to rape her to me.

Edited by CircularLogic

@Wyldsong: Think of it in one of two ways.

there's a woman dating a man she's come to love. Let's say that man also has a twin brother who is a known criminal and murderer. The "evil" twin then kills the boyfriend and pretends to be him. He might even wine and dine the woman as part of the act. He then has sex with her. Is it rape?

YES IT IS.

Or another way of looking at it. A man and his wife are in a dark bedroom. The woman loves and trusts the husband implicitly. The man steps out of the room, then another man who looks enough like him to pass as him in the dark silently kills him and goes back into the room. The wife can't tell that the man isn't her husband, and has no reason to believe so, because what are the odds of it happening? The murder even successfully pretends that he is the husband. The woman, thinking it's her husband, consents to sex. is it rape?

YES IT IS.

Both those situations are strong metaphors for the events of this comic, and if you were the woman in those situations, you would feel raped and violated. Just because physical force wasn't used doesn't mean that the action is any less disgusting and despicable. And again, Slott was smart enough to realize he was heading down a dark path, and didn't pull the trigger, and for that I can let a lot of hate I had for this book go. But seeing a whole issue of him toeing that line was fairly unpleasant.

Edited by CrimsonAlchemist

@CircularLogic: Your ridiculous for it to be rape it has to be non consensual as long as Otto Parker is not forcing himself on her when she is saying no then it's not rape grow up. And plus he is in Peter's body wouldn't it be 10 times worse if it was the fat Otto?

Posted by CrimsonAlchemist

@AranhaMarcial: Oh please I'm so sick of people like griping over a temporary change before you know it everything will be the way it was.

Edited by Wyldsong

@CircularLogic: Your examples don't even come close to breaking down what is actively going on in the issue at hand. You make it a big statement to say that Ock is trying to rape her. When did he try to rape her? When? When he took her on date and failed to get a kiss? When he turned down a kiss at the end as he realized Peter's memories of her were truly affecting him?

When she said no and he forced himself on her? Wait, that didn't happen, now did it?

Even your examples don't even come close to breaking down the issue at hand. You talk about issues where sex happens. I am talking about an issue where sex did not happen, and forced contact or sex was not even attempted. There wasn't even a kiss. Your examples take what I am talking about, and take what actually happened in the issue, and go to a very far, and very different place from the issue at hand. You have a villain who has lived Peter's life, and even shows that Peter's memories are affecting him -- very clearly brought up in a few panels.

Now, a man or woman "trying" to get in someones pants, does not equate to trying to rape them. By your definition of rape, most men and women in this world are guilty of trying to rape someone, as a multitude of people in this world have misrepresented themselves in trying to get into someone's pants, or have even thought dirty thoughts about someone and wanted to get in their pants. I think you are coming on a little strong with the issue, especially since unwanted contact was never once initiated in the issue, nor was sexual contact initiated under false pretenses. Never once did she say no to something, and he forced himself on her, nor did he try to. And he didn't even pursue the issue when finally given the chance -- he said no -- so again, a far cry from your examples of rape, where contact was initiated.

Anyhow, I can see that we definitely do not agree here, so I will just say good day to you, and leave this conversation be.

Posted by eduardoy7

I like how people try to argue with a dude OVER THE INTERNET who's username very openly implies he will not falter on his opinion under the fallacy of his circular reasoning.