theacidskull's Superior Spider-Man #1 - Hero or Menace? review

This is called " telling a Story" ....( spoiler alert)

Warning! There Will Be A Lot Of Spoilers, If You Have Not Read SSM #1 Yet Do Not Proceed.

you know, if you want me to be completely honest , i wasn't happy with how things turned out, but unlike Most Raging fans( just see the comment on the site called ComicBookMovies and you'll know what i mean) , i kept a few things in mind:

• Nothing in comics is permanent.
  • This was a 3 issue story arc, meaning that since there was not much development for it, it would not be one of thous things that will remain for at least 3 to 5 years.
  • slott kept saying the he loves spider-man, so i found it hard to believe that he would destroy and kill off one his favorite characters.

One of the things that stands out in this issue and one of the things that i really really like is the simple fact that " DOCK OCK IS STILL THE VILLAIN!" he is on no way trying to be a hero, he just wants fame and recognition, which means that no matter what way you look at it, ock is still the bad guy, and slott makes that very very clear, and when you read it you'll see. one of the things that i really like about the issue was the Spider-man Vs Sinister six fight, unlike previous spider-man battles, Peter ( or ock) uses his intelligence and anticipates every detail in the fight. Now comes the big spoiler.

Slott said that after reading SSM #1, people wills stop raging, and he will finely be able to poke his head out again, well he is right, when you finely get to the last pages, you'll finely see as to why ock is still the bad guy, and who the real hero of the story is.

Stegmans art is great, i loved watching spider-man get brutal with the sinister six, he is feral, smart, tactical and savage at the same time. both Slotts writing and Ryan's art brings the characters alive, mary jane, peter and pretty much everyone else.

however, despite the good in this issue, there are some problems too. first off, Doesn't anyone notice that peter is acting weird? i mean, he i usually cheerful, clumsy and and intelligent at the same time, while here is arrogant, brash, and has a clear superiority complex. now i get that his co-workers might not notice, but Doesn't Mary Jane notice this? like at all? i mean no one knows peter better than her right? i get that this is the first issue but it should be so damn clear that peter isn't acting like himself, in fact, ocks personality jumps right of the damn the pages, someone should at least notice , especially MJ.

and also, this is definitely not a new jumping point for others, if you are not familiar with Dying wish you won't be able to follow the story well.

as much as i didn't want this to happen, it did, so since we are here , you might as well pick it up. But seriously, this is defiantly not the spider-man we know and love. Ock is walking in peters slippers, and it's interesting seeing his perspective, he is dealing with the same problems peter had in a different alternate way, his has his work, dates and villains pitted against him. but honestly , keep in mind , i repeat again, that OCK IS THE VILLAIN! he is not the hero.

Also here is the big spoiler. DO NOT CLICK!

SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.Peter is still alive, his sole is stuck following Otto, but ock himself isn't aware of this, so peter's mission is to get back into his body and keep ock from killing people, and doing his job right.

Recommendation: Why Not?

Posted by broo1232

Well that was predictable.

Posted by everclear1981

Don't buy this comic if you want things to get better People. If you keep buying it Marvel is going to think there is nothing wrong.

Posted by NonStopRobot

@everclear1981: Why not read it. Obviously marvel has a built in time span for it considering the "last page". I enjoyed the first book and I was as critical about the end of Amazing Spider-Man as everyone else but after this first issue I'm all in.

Edited by Serberus08

@NonStopRobot: I agree, I liked the way they wrote in a more serious narrative and an almost 'Slade Wilson'-eske planned and calculated Spider-man. I was absolutely skeptical and only picked this issue up because it had a blank cover, but I'm glad I did.

@Serberus08 said:

Exactly! and the fact that otto is still the villain means that this is just part of a big story!

Posted by Lvenger

Wow I never would have guessed that Ock's still as bad as ever even with Peter's memories and values. The perspective point is a great one that I haven't heard before. Awesome review as always mate!

Posted by TheAcidSkull

@Lvenger: He is Trying to be Famous, that what i got from his performance :P, but he is still an A$$ XD

Posted by Lvenger

@TheAcidSkull: Ah trying to redeem his past record of not being a winner then? It makes sense for Ock to be like that.

@Lvenger said:

Indeed! :P, and you'll like it, this is exactly what the title says, Just TELLING A STORY ^__^