What not to wear

• 61 results
Posted by RazzaTazz (9568 posts) - - Show Bio

I have compiled a few things which I would never include in my wardrobe if I were trying to keep up with Superman, Batman, or Spider-Man

Fishnets or anything like pantyhose

It seems some days like I can't even get out of the house without a run in my tights, let alone going out to beat bad guys around.  These characters are a definite minority (pictured here is Black Canary), but the fishnets are played up for obvious sex appeal.  I wouldn't need to feel sexy fighting crime, I would be more concerned with not dying.  In addition to that after about 20 minutes the tights would be all torn, making you look very much not sexy.  So unless there is room in the batmobile for 100 or so replacement pairs of fishnets, it doesn't seem like a good idea.  Spandex isn't much better, sure its sturdier but still not very durable.  Naked legs would be the worst option of all, no protection whatsoever.   

Cleavage

I don't think in general there is much problem with exposing a little bit of your breasts, but the breasts are a pretty sensitive area (not to mention one very important to our own femininity.)  I don't think I would want to be forced to expose my breasts to the elements at all times, let alone alien death rays.  Especially on Jessica Alba's Invisible Woman, the cleavage makes a nice big contrasting area, perfect for someone aiming at you, which is even worse considering some major organs are right behind.  I suppose if I was forced I would go with more skin here as opposed to less (as with Garner's Elektra) just so that bad guys had some other non-covered areas to aim at.  Of course this is provided that I lived in a warm climate (but then you would have to worry about sunscreen all the time.)

Anything very colourful or flashy

I suppose most men think that women have to wear bright colours in order to be able to express ourselves properly.  I think expressing myself properly is cool when the opportunity is appropriate, but in real life I am a science student and if showed up to school wearing high heels, lots of makeup and revaling clothing in my male dominated field, I would never be taken seriously.  How so then that some woman decides to rid the world of evil that she decides to wear something which makes her visible from space?  I would go with something low key

High Heels

Though I like the overall protective concepts of Alicia Silverstone's Batgirl costume, there is no way I would go out looking to fight evil wearing high heels.  Sometimes I can barely walk in them, let alone run.  Granted the ones shown here are not that high, but seriously, women aren't generally as fast as men anyway, if we were going to beat them in a fight, a lot of that would have to involve us out thinking them.  And out-thinking them doesn't mean purposefully slowing ourselves down by wearing high heels in case a photo op occurs.  I might consider wearing them if I could fly, but even then I think they would be a huge detriment.   

Loose Hair

Scarlett Johansson' Black Widow has all almost right (practical uniform), but one thing which would be an almost thing to avoid would be loose hair.  Sure the gentlemen out there would never pull a woman's hair, but how many supervillains are gentlemen?  I would think that a lot of them wouldn't respect the rules of etiquette if it meant their plan for world domination was at stake.  Also loose hair would get caught on a lot of stuff.  Better to use a bun or a braid, or if you were really feeling reckless a ponytail.  On the same token I would never use a cape, but that applies to male heroes as well,and suffice to say that the purely decorative scarf Ms. Marvel wears around her  waist would get caught on a lot of stuff.

Earrings or any other jewelry

That's right not even studs.  It is one thing to maybe get to your hair pulled, but most jewellery is in some way attached physically to our body.  Also the areas we attach jewellery to generally don't grow back like hair follicles do.  There are a lot of stories of people losing fingers because they were wearing rings, and even studs could get caught on something.  Unless the item of jewellery is the source of your power, I say better to leave them at home.  Still Anna Paquin's Rogue almost has it perfect here.  A faint whisp of hair, with some almost harmless studs, plus that sturdy X-men leather uniform.  But before I finish there is one more important one, maybe the most important

Any highly sexualized attire (including latex and lingerie) 

This serves no purpose whatsoever unless your plan was to degrade yourself in front of your enemies.  I do like the red lipstick and heavy black eyeliner though.  Of all the things I wouldn't wear, I think that the lipstick and eyeliner would have to be on the opposite list - a must thing to wear.  After all even with all these restrictions a superheroine uniform would still be hot, and what better way to accessorize it than with some cool makeup.        

#1 Posted by riotman (716 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed, except for the cleavage villains and heroes probably don't complain much about that.

#2 Edited by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz: Very nice, and your very first :)
#3 Posted by Sexy Merc (42071 posts) - - Show Bio

So you would be a feminist then. 

#4 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

...I don't agree with any of this.

#5 Posted by SC (12896 posts) - - Show Bio

I wear all the things mentioned here and I feel it gives me a definitive edge out on the streets at night. Could be because I am a man, and a kick boxer and bad guys never want to take the risk of getting beat up by a guy dressed like a woman. Its a pride thing, and they had no problem getting in fights with me, when I use to dress up like King from Tekken 2. I have a high sense of shame about myself though so maybe you are right.  

I appreciate that you actually put some effort and time into this, its funny and of course points out the silliness of some comics. 

#6 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio

And of course:

#7 Posted by Mr. Mercury (19338 posts) - - Show Bio

Luurrve this1

#8 Edited by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

I always found that the justification for the highly sexual elements of super heroin costumes came down to psychological manipulation. I mean a lot of the hench men these ladies fight are fresh outta prison...seems like that'd throw you off the whole fighting thing lol. I think this kind of works with your own point about needing to use intelligence to overcome any physical deficiencies between the sexes. I remember a conversation with a friend about why Catwoman always got away from Bat's back in the day...if I knew I could catch that, I'd probably hang back a bit and enjoy the view too...which would in turn give her a bit of an upper hand in escaping XD. Good article though. I like how you had justifications for everything you mentioned. Only one I really disagree with is the color based one. A lot of Super heroes, men or women have outfits so bright you can see them from space, why shouldn't your own? Unless you just like the whole dark hero of the night look.

#9 Posted by Mercy_ (92674 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy
...I don't agree with any of this.
Because you're a guy.

@Precise LOL. Win. That was such a good movie.
#10 Posted by Susanoo (5909 posts) - - Show Bio
@Precise:
Lmao unless you have invulnerability and superstrength and flight, that can be made an exception. I agree with the thread but ..... they look hot.
#11 Posted by RazzaTazz (9568 posts) - - Show Bio
@sexy merc 
I don't see how you get the impression I am a feminist, I dont consider myself one anyway. 

@SC 
Its not fair - when a female superheroine wears a very masculine costume, she just looks cute or awesome (like Black Widow above.)  When a male superhero wears women's clothing they just treat him weird and different.  Its a double standard.  By the way how do you kickbox in heels and what heels can stand up to the punishment?  I need to get me some of those.   

And thanks to all for comments and feedback :)
#12 Posted by Susanoo (5909 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz:
Think of it this way... when a guy gets raped by even an average looking women, they brag about it. When a women get's raped, they will be scarred for life.
#13 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

have you read Doom Force Special? I love the bit about women's clothing in comics...funny stuff... 

I for one think all comic characters should just be naked, solve all this impracticalness stuff all at once
#14 Posted by DEGRAAF (7875 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz:
are there any female outfits in the comic world that you do consider perfect?
#15 Posted by SC (12896 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
@SC Its not fair - when a female superheroine wears a very masculine costume, she just looks cute or awesome (like Black Widow above.)  When a male superhero wears women's clothing they just treat him weird and different.  Its a double standard.  By the way how do you kickbox in heels and what heels can stand up to the punishment?  I need to get me some of those.    And thanks to all for comments and feedback :) "

I think, but I am not to clued up on these things, but the Cookie Monster icon denotes a sort of joke or irony or something? I think, with the other post, so more fun in that sense, I think? 

I agree with what you said, I thought Deadpool looked cute rocking out Marvel Girls outfit, but the look of disgust and disapproval on Beast's face says it all really. Still, I maintain that some male superheroes can pull it off. I kickbox in heels with practice. When I mean kickbox, I sort of mean fall forward towards and then grab and then knee. Its not a pretty sight I admit, but I get the job down, I mean done. In the fictional reality that exists in my head, all shoes are almost impossible to break. As soon as science finds a way to make what we imagine real, I will send you some. lol 

@aztek the lost:
 lol You know all the best comics... 
#16 Edited by mikethekiller (8371 posts) - - Show Bio

these are all things super heroines must wear.

#17 Posted by Darkseid Elite (8424 posts) - - Show Bio

No cleavage? Whattt? Quit playing. 
#18 Posted by King Saturn (223972 posts) - - Show Bio
Cleavage is Awesome... 
#19 Posted by riotman (716 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn:
I can tell by your avatar pic.
#20 Posted by Jay_August (748 posts) - - Show Bio

This is great. ;D 

Granted, I still like my sexualized females comics, but I like to remind people of the impracticality of it. Yeah, those breasts? She would be immensely uncomfortable, much less be able to stand.

#21 Posted by Wonder Princess (137 posts) - - Show Bio
Awesome piece.  Go with what works for you.  That would take away some of my best assets, though. : )
#22 Posted by Billy Batson (57906 posts) - - Show Bio
no clothes @ all ;)
#23 Posted by Jaykoli (123 posts) - - Show Bio

We most not wear the Devil's image.

#24 Edited by Vitality (1762 posts) - - Show Bio

It's comic book characters...you have to suspend your disbelief.  

If you can't do that...your list of impracticalities will just go on and on and on and on...

#25 Posted by velle37 (6044 posts) - - Show Bio

The answer to this thread... is clothes............... 

@Sexy Merc
said:

"

So you would be a feminist then. 

"

Lol
#26 Posted by RazzaTazz (9568 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by velle37 (6044 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by RazzaTazz (9568 posts) - - Show Bio
@velle37: I am not a feminist, that why, at least not the kind that people use as an insult
#29 Posted by velle37 (6044 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
" @velle37: I am not a feminist, that why, at least not the kind that people use as an insult "

Ahh... 

You assumed that I assumed you were a feminist because of my comment on someone else' joke........ 

Interesting........ 

But no..... 

I've seen your posts on the subject, and that you don't like to call yourself a Feminist because most people don't know what the term means, and typically take it to equate to the stigmatized connotations of the "feminazi"....... Or at least the main principles of that statement......... 

I find it interesting that you seem not to even remember that I was one of the major contributors to that thread, post-wise........
#30 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Then.... whats the character susppose to look like, a average person..... 
#31 Posted by RazzaTazz (9568 posts) - - Show Bio
@velle37:  Sorry I didnt notice.  I don't actually spend much time in the forums. I think I have three posts there in the past week.  I was going to blog that one but decided on a forum post instead.  Not even sure where the discussion went on that one.  
#32 Posted by Jake Fury (18319 posts) - - Show Bio

May I add anything purple to this?
#33 Posted by RazzaTazz (9568 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury: Purple is good
#34 Posted by Jake Fury (18319 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz:
I think its more flattering on women and not the male characters that wear it.
#35 Posted by RazzaTazz (9568 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury:  Of course its more flattering on women, its the royal colour after all
#36 Posted by velle37 (6044 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
" @velle37:  Sorry I didnt notice.  I don't actually spend much time in the forums. I think I have three posts there in the past week.  I was going to blog that one but decided on a forum post instead.  Not even sure where the discussion went on that one.   "

It got sidetracked into an arguement between me and you :P............
#37 Posted by RazzaTazz (9568 posts) - - Show Bio
@velle37: Oh well suffice to say I dont remember, was it a good side argument?
#38 Posted by velle37 (6044 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
" @velle37: Oh well suffice to say I dont remember, was it a good side argument? "

Not really....... 

It seemed kind of one-sided to me, so I just dropped it for peace's sake........
#39 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

I know what to wear......a medium hair cut, maybe a un even bob. A leather moto Jacket with V-neck tee, skinny jeans and sneakers... 
Thats as far as I can think with a super heroine.
#40 Posted by hydrabob (14977 posts) - - Show Bio

Soooo you would pretty much dress like a guy superhero

#41 Posted by RazzaTazz (9568 posts) - - Show Bio
@hydrabob: Not at all, I would dress exactly like Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow, but I would probably tie my hair back or braid it to keep it out of the way.  
#42 Posted by hydrabob (14977 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz:  well you could also just shave off all your hair and wear a mask, but then your secret Identity would be kinda obvious, though you could wear a wig in the real world, but then people would talk about you behind your back about how you wear a wig. Hm seems like a no win situation.
#43 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this was about the show lol.

#44 Posted by Sylver (1554 posts) - - Show Bio

hahaha great blog! It's very true about all of those things though. None of them out be realistic in the slightest.
Although, comics really aren't meant to be... but I agree, some outfits go waaaaaaay over the edge.

#45 Posted by Metro_Man (584 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz: If all Female characters were dressed the same that would be boring.  Huntress for example... Huntress shows alot of skin, she likes it that way. You can't force your set of rules for all characters. It makes it all seem super Fake. I mean take a look around, some girls like to tease it makes them feel good. Others don't. I understand your points, only it is a comic, fictional characters should be dynamic. I love Black Widow, I love Black Canary aswell however.
#46 Posted by TheCerealKillz (10266 posts) - - Show Bio

I just say DONT wear anything....

#47 Posted by Tenno (141 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz:  yeah but... : (

though take a look at the powergirl run, people began to buy it because of the cleavage but kept on sticking to it because of the building up of her personality (where "some" might have done so to begin with)
#48 Posted by velle37 (6044 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCerealKillz said:
"I just say DONT wear anything.... "

Beat you to it.........
#49 Posted by thewidowsbite (138 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with a lot of these things. In the real world (besides the bright colors, unless you're trying to use stealth) those things would be a disaster. But in comic books and the fantasy world those things are basically essential to the entire character. You can look at it as these women as feeling like they're able to kick ass but still be able to look as good as they want to doing it. It's true that women in comics are usually hyper-sexualized, wearing heels higher than a hippie and cleavage that leaves little to the imagination. However many people fail to notice that the men are also sexualized, though obviously not as much. Most male heroes and villains wear skintight costumes that show off muscles and other bulges (mm hmm, you know what I mean) and often go shirtless (willingly or not). In a way men being sexualized with their muscles and whatnot is less noted by readers (generally male readers...) and oftentimes comics are criticized for degrading women with their outfits. The bottom line is that comic books (and other fiction) represent the fantasy: the ability to do impossible feats and be a person of greatness. It just so happens that that fantasy also includes a rediculously high amount of sex appeal.
#50 Posted by UnderDogs_OverBoard (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: Dug through all your blogs and found this one miss Razz!

That's the things I do whenever I am Bored! This is a nice one! and even though

they say not to do this i really have to BUMP!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.