Follow

Supergirl

Character » Supergirl appears in 3428 issues.

Kara Zor-El is Superman's cousin and last survivor of Krypton's Argo City. She has a brash and defiant personality that she developed in response to the destruction of Krypton. Currently, she's operating out of National City alongside the D.E.O.

Would Little Girls Buy Supergirl Shirts?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided
    Variety announced today that Warner Brothers has decided the time has come to hit the girl's market when it comes superhero-related clothing. 

The studio has teamed with JCPenney to launch Supergirl as a lifestyle brand aimed at 8- to 12-year-old girls with clothing that prominently features the S-shield...Products, made up of T-shirts, dresses, dancewear and other apparel, will be priced from $20 and $38 and hit store shelves July 20, timed for the back-to-school season.

No Caption Provided
    No longer will that iconic "S" emblem be only worn by boys. The only problem is, will girls want to wear Supergirl shirts? Boys, growing up, love wearing a Batman, Hulk, Spider-Man shirt.  a hero with a superhuman ability smashing something on a shirt for all their friends to see. Boys love pretending to be those characters and battling other friends or the cardboard box their parents just took the new fridge out of. With little girls, although their may be a few, it's not as spread out across the demographic as it is with boys. 

The girls market is just too lucrative to pass up...Disney Princess has turned into a $4 billion-a-year juggernaut for the Mouse House since it bowed in 2000, selling apparel, toys, books, movies, games and other merchandise featuring nine characters like Snow White, Cinderella, "The Little Mermaid's" Ariel, "Beauty and the Beast's" Belle and now Tiana from "Princess and the Frog."

No Caption Provided
    Yes, Disney has made a killing with princess gear. Traditionally, little girls have been attracted to princesses. Especially ones who over come obstacles to get their "Prince Charming." However, the majority of stories girls grow up with have that story in them. (see the films above) If anything, it's going to take a lot more than clothing to change that age-old "girls like princesses, boys like super-heroes" stigma.

Warners saw an opportunity with Supergirl because "the Supergirl S-shield is embraced the world over as a symbol of girl power," said Brad Globe, president, Warner Bros. Consumer Products.

Supergirl t-shirts may be a good start though. Maybe one thing DC/WB should work on is television. Growing up, I remember little girls pretending to be She-Ra, a show starring a strong female character, which many boys I knew at the time watched too. Maybe it's time Supergirl got her own show. She's appeared on the Justice League of America cartoon enough times. Not only could girls enjoy watching a strong female lead take down the bad guy, by herself, every single week, but it's something boys could enjoy too because it's a Superhuman character. 

I know there are a lot of guys on this site, but in what ways do you think comics could empower little girls and what outside media or consumer products would you create to let them know "boys and girls are equals?"

~Mat Elfring is a comedian, teacher, comic book writer, comic store employee, and has a girlfriend who is tougher than he is.~

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Supreme Marvel

They do. A lot of my friends ask me where can I find them, because am the "comic guy".

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AngelFrost

:O   I'd definately buy one!

Sylar0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Sylar0

Yeah some of my friends that are girls have comic book shirts and they don't even read comics.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

we are talking little girls?  

Maybe, but as there has not been anything Supergirl related with Hanna Montanna attached probably not

mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5  Edited By mimschkin

I don't think it should be split up so much. I really hate that the only comic-related t-shirts I can find in girl sizes are ones that say 'Girl Power' and 'My Boyfriend is a Superhero' on them. WTF? Give me a Hulk t-shirt any day. Just because I like comic books doesn't mean I'm all into 'girl power' and reinforcing gender stereotypes. I bought by Batman belt in the River Island men's section, for God's sake. So what they're doing by making 'special girls' clothing' is a load of rubbish.  
    Girls wearing superhero clothing isn't as spread out because the parents are buying their children gender stereotypical clothing that is outdated and sometimes sexist. So perhaps it's not the manufacturer's fault, but the people doing the buying.
    And what exactly is the difference between the Supergirl "S" and the Superman "S"? I have a pair of underpants that have the Super-logo on them, so I refer to them as my Superman-pants. But the label says Supergirl. So why is "the Supergirl S-shield embraced the world over as a symbol of girl power"? if it's the same damn logo? Does it mean that when Superman wears it, it's the symbol of boy power? It's a travesty.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Supreme Marvel

It's the "in" thing.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty

I've seen girls wearing the Superman logo before.  A sparkly gold Superman logo is just like a sparkly Ramones logo t-shirt; they wear it because they like it without knowing anything about what it means.
    Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Vortex13
    @xerox-kitty said:

"    
     I've seen girls wearing the Superman logo before.  A sparkly gold Superman logo is just like a sparkly Ramones logo t-shirt; they wear it because they like it without knowing anything about what it means. "

LMAO, that extreamly true. I remember someone wearing a dead Kennedys t-shirt and I said "nice shirt, glad someone other than me likes them." Then they said " Oh is it a band? I just really like the logo." I was thinking to myself well you just suck then lol.
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jordanstine

Um... I could've sworn there were already Supergirl shirts around at least these last 5-6 years. 

Just walk around some Six Flags theme parks. 

The "S" even come in pink. 

Falco974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Falco974

And POWER GIRL shirts?

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AngelFrost
    @Falco974:   I'd wear a Power Girl shirt! ;) 

No Caption Provided
    Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vortex13
    @AngelFrost said:
    " @Falco974:   I'd wear a Power Girl shirt! ;) 

No Caption Provided
    "
    There are already those kinds of shirts actually.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Vortex13 said:
    " @AngelFrost said:
    " @Falco974:   I'd wear a Power Girl shirt! ;) 

"
    There are already those kinds of shirts actually. "

Not neceserally made by DC 

Won't people think that they are Superman shirts rather than Supergirl?
    Morningstar_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Morningstar_

Well you would kind of think that if a girl was wearing it, it's Supergirl. LOL i always thought that too.

Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Lady Tlieso

I would buy it for my niece. It's cute. I see nothing wrong with trying to introduce girls to comics any way you can do it. Who cares if they don't know if it stand for Superman or Supergirl. Aren't the logos the same anyways?

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AngelFrost
    @Vortex13:  Yeah, I know. (: but I'd like one with PowerGirl on it.
    Dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dro

I don't get why little girls need to be "empowered." I also don't get why boys and girls have to be equal.

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gregomasta

I like it, I'd buy a cute supergirl shirt for my niece. 

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19  Edited By DMC

It makes sense I guess. 
    Too bad DC can't try to push more Wonder Woman apparel.

Avatar image for the_sharp_dressed_lady
    The Sharp Dressed Lady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's nothing new. I wore Wonder Woman and Batgirl t-shirts from the early sixties. I owned Hawkgirl and Black Canary t-shirts from the sixties and fifties, and in some cases only wore once, and I still own several wrapped and unpackaged. 

Wonder Woman, Hawkgirl, Batgirl, Catwoman and Black Canary were popular costumes in the fifties and sixties, too.

There were Wonder Woman t-shirts for boys that were popular because she was HOT. We would also wear the mens versions as we grew older in our own intimacy. 

Clothing and costumes for Batgirl, Catwoman, Wonder Woman and Supergirl maintained their popularity when the Adam West Batman TV show, Linda Carters Wonder Woman and Helen Slaters Supergirl were hits.

I wore the popular Hulk and Thing t-shirts from Marvel in the seventies. "If you can read this, yer too darn close.". We would often wear it backward. I also wore a Fantastic Four 4 t-shirt.

Images of Supergirl would be a good idea for WB to put on their clothing line, too. Art spreads and portraits from the artists, and panels from various issues. T-shirts, bags, lunchboxes...

Laura Logan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Laura Logan

I would love a supergirl shirt! Too bad they don't make them for women with large chest.. It would look more like PowerGirl if I put on that shirt. LOl For real!

Avatar image for a_boy_named_art
    A Boy Named Art

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By A Boy Named Art

I hope Supergirl merch does well - hopefully that leads to more heroine-centric gear. Liberty Belle/Jesse Quick shirts would be cool, no?

WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By WW-Fan

what about Wonder Woman Shirt?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

@Miss Lopez said:
    "Well you would kind of think that if a girl was wearing it, it's Supergirl. LOL i always thought that too. "

Not if it's one of those "mini shirts" (is there a name for those?)
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont get it. ive seen pink  "S" shirts and what not geared for
    (and before you take shots at me read this: "specifically says either womens
    or girls on the product " ) for years now. actually the whole superheros and comics are for
    males and/or moslty a male dominated market (ei: Clubhouse Rules No Cooties) is a very old myth anyways.

No Caption Provided
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @xerox-kitty: 
    Well, isn't a Supergirl shirt just a Superman logo shirt worn by a girl? It's not as if the logos are all that different.
    Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Yung ANcient One

"I was given this WOrld. I didnt make it"
    and for me... it might not be a for sure thing since to me...
    "this is a MAns World. But it would be nothing without a woman or a girl"
    as in... Men are the Hunters women are the Prey. Men are super heroes and Women are princesses. Guys give women receive.. IMO

i kno sometimes its not exactly like that... im jus sayin tho...

so it might not be a for sure huge money making idea...
    but its a great start than with anyone else...
    *i kno im goin to get some heat for this comment*
    but starting with Supergirl is Great. its a Female water down version of Superman. (i say water down because of the name"Girl" instead of Woman). and The Logo is Still Superman. Only a Female wears it thats the only difference. so it still stands by the idea. that This is a Mans World theme... kinda... also a subconscious that men are 1st. (not as in better. or should be more important). but as in. 1st as 1st to do something(usually) Since the world was ruled by men... and only by men. and now women are u kno running a lot of things around here. so there runner ups... they're jus getting started. IMO.  but at the same time. proving the "anything u can do i can do..." if only runner ups. as in the 2nd to do it.

and if it starts to sell a lot and it is a goldmine. then they can make Wonder WOman Shirts... IMO

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Jotham
    @Vortex13 said:
    " @xerox-kitty said:

"    
     I've seen girls wearing the Superman logo before.  A sparkly gold Superman logo is just like a sparkly Ramones logo t-shirt; they wear it because they like it without knowing anything about what it means. "

LMAO, that extreamly true. I remember someone wearing a dead Kennedys t-shirt and I said "nice shirt, glad someone other than me likes them." Then they said " Oh is it a band? I just really like the logo." I was thinking to myself well you just suck then lol. "
    What? Did they think it was for the actual Kennedys?
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jotham said:
    " @Vortex13 said:
    " @xerox-kitty said:

"    

LMAO, that extreamly true. I remember someone wearing a dead Kennedys t-shirt and I said "nice shirt, glad someone other than me likes them." Then they said " Oh is it a band? I just really like the logo." I was thinking to myself well you just suck then lol. "
    What? Did they think it was for the actual Kennedys? "
    Reminds me of a joke. This girl living in an apartment complex notices the guy down the hall
    everyday and thinks he's interesting. He has a large mohawk, always wears a Misfits t-shirt and
    his jacket has several spikes and buttons, ect. One day he is taking his garbage outside and she grabs hers and follows to try and spark a conversation. After introducing herself she finally gets up the courage to ask " So all of the stuff you wear, you hairstyle and all that. What does that mean? " and he says " Well, i'm punk. ". She says " Punk? Whats that? " So, he kicks over one of the garbage cans and says " See that? Thats what punk is. " So she kicks over another and says " So thats punk? " and he says " No, thats trendy. "
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jotham
    @CATMANEXE: Ha, I'll have to remember that one.
    creole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By creole
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " @Jotham said:
    " @Vortex13 said:
    " @xerox-kitty said:

"    

What? Did they think it was for the actual Kennedys? "
    Reminds me of a joke. This girl living in an apartment complex notices the guy down the hall everyday and thinks he's interesting. He has a large mohawk, always wears a Misfits t-shirt and his jacket has several spikes and buttons, ect. One day he is taking his garbage outside and she grabs hers and follows to try and spark a conversation. After introducing herself she finally gets up the courage to ask " So all of the stuff you wear, you hairstyle and all that. What does that mean? " and he says " Well, i'm punk. ". She says " Punk? Whats that? " So, he kicks over one of the garbage cans and says " See that? Thats what punk is. " So she kicks over another and says " So thats punk? " and he says " No, thats trendy. " "

so what happen next. lol
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jotham
    @creole: Then there was a rimshot.
    Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hawk

If it's small enough for my daughter for sure!

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gregomasta
    @CATMANEXE: Cool story, bro.
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By MrDirector786

Wonder Woman shirts should be made too. Hopefully, they'll be next.

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LT1085

DC comics is funded by nazi gold. 

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jotham
    @LT1085: It sounded more true the second time.
    Sharkgirl93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sharkgirl93

I always wore comic shirts when I was a kid, I was (and still am) a nerdy tomboy! I remember owning loads of batman t-shirts and having spider-man pajamas. I got kicked out of playschool once because I was in a full batman costume and my Bat-mask was scaring the other kids!

harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#39  Edited By harleyquinn12
    @xerox-kitty:
    Exactly, I don't think there was much of a difference bewtween the Superman and Supergirl logos t-shirts they had out a while back. The only thing different was the pink background. I always remember girls like role-playing this kind of thing, well most of them, cause almost nobody when I was a little kid read comics, guys or girls.
    harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#40  Edited By harleyquinn12
    @mimschI 
    Don't girls read comics as much as guys do? It's nice, but girls were reading comics a looooooong time before this. Girls were also wearing the S-shield and superhero shirts before.
    MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By MrMiracle77

You know, after reading the title of this thread, I immediately thought to myself: 

"Why?  Are you planning to sell some out of your van?"

davidkenneth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By davidkenneth

Yeah girls would buy it. I'm a guy and I'd probably buy it.
    Avatar image for the_sharp_dressed_lady
    The Sharp Dressed Lady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CATMANEXE said:

" i dont get it. ive seen pink  "S" shirts and what not geared for
    (and before you take shots at me read this: "specifically says either womens
    or girls on the product " ) for years now. actually the whole superheros and comics are for
    males and/or moslty a male dominated market (ei: Clubhouse Rules No Cooties) is a very old myth anyways.

No Caption Provided
    "
    Well, yes, of course. And, thanks for posting that awesome pic. That's me on the right reading Patsy Walker. HAHA Those were the days.
    Gothic Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#44  Edited By Gothic Storm

Six Flags sells the heck out of those DC shirts. I have several friends who own everything from Harley Quinn shirts to Catwoman to Supergirl. Yeah, they're already popular with the 20 somethings... and the parents will buy them because the fathers who were geeks (and still are) will want their kids seen in them.

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#45  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

If not little girls, then their comic-loving parents. :)

04nbod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By 04nbod

Supergirl clothing has been in the UK for years. Sadly it usually comes in pink.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.