Could a Supergirl Movie work?

• 63 results
#1 Posted by majestic99 (8638 posts) - - Show Bio

Title is self-explanatory. So..could it?

#2 Posted by _slim_ (13054 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe.... but probably not.

#3 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5240 posts) - - Show Bio

No, not right now. A Superman movie with Supergirl in it could work.

#4 Posted by TheRedRobin96 (334 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, Superman is just getting cool again after a 15 year s of being lame (not earth 2 or all star) but he is getting cool so I would say do NOT use Supergirl in a Superman movie and no movie for her, it would just be to weird.

#5 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

It's already been done and the problem with it was not enough interconnectivity. It had Jimmy Olsen? Maybe after Man of Steel instead of just doing sequels they could do a sequel where Supergirl arrives. Then another where Superboy is cloned. Then maybe even do the death of Superman and have Steel step up with those two while Superman regenerates.

#6 Posted by Andy Steven Summers (4987 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes a Supergirl movie could work, and I would love to see one. (Well newer one)

#7 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Supergirl movie could work if done right, but it'd be tricky to pull off while being a financial success.

#8 Posted by King Saturn (223812 posts) - - Show Bio
they probably could do it
#9 Posted by JediXMan (29560 posts) - - Show Bio

They'd need to do a good Superman movie first.

#10 Posted by tron_bonne (2286 posts) - - Show Bio

They already have! 

#11 Posted by SuperTide (15600 posts) - - Show Bio

@HBKTimHBK said:

No, not right now. A Superman movie with Supergirl in it could work.

Good idea.

#12 Posted by majestic99 (8638 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

I was thinking a Superman WITH Supergirl movie first, then they make a Supergirl series(instead of just one movie, I mean, Superman has pretty much been done to the point where we need to make another movie about another kryptonian besides Kal-el).

#13 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure they could do it, just a matter of finding the right people to pull it off.

#14 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7543 posts) - - Show Bio

They haven't even made a good Superman movie yet. So I don't think we will be seeing a Supergirl movie anytime soon.

#15 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- Superman Returns was barely profitable and Superman is a much easier sell than Supergirl, so not much of a chance IMO

- I agree that a significant cameo in a Superman movie that makes big $$$ would help, but even that is likely not enough

- I just do not see a big enough audience to offset the budget, better off for now with animated straight to DVD's at this point.

#16 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

i would love if laura vandervoort kara from smallville to do a supergirl film that would be awesome but only if it had a good story and no campyness or stupid crap.

#17 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

If the talent behind it took it seriously, was creative and really explored it, then yes, but that goes for anything put to film. How the movie is made exactly is what makes or breaks it, and even then theirs always cult film appeal.

#18 Posted by jhazzroucher (15093 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! definitely

#19 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

A Supergirl movie has potential,but I don't think that it will work much

#20 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

i would watch it if laura vandervoort was kara and sterling gates wrote the script.

#21 Edited by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

It could if they didn't force her into the stupid superhero mould of "super-powered girl flies around and hits dudes". If they made it a film about Kara coming to the planet and being scared of being alone. Then have her mingle with teens her age, have her learn about humanity, have her make friends, actually develop the supporting cast then you have her save a rainforest from some evil guy or something dumb like that.

What you don't do is devolve the film into four huge CGI sequences, you don't make the typical superhero film, you don't give the film a budget more than 40 or 50 million dollars.

Do I think that they will do that?

No. I don't think the people who make that call would be smart enough to do that.

#22 Edited by uniform (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Work? As in make a decent return? I don't believe it could. There just isn't a large enough target audience for such a film. The people that would see it would be comic book movie+Superman fans, which would basically have them wondering why the studio didn't just give them more Superman, or a better character superhero movie. People will always see Kara as a gimmick character, Superman-lite. I believe many outright hate Supergirl, or are at least annoyed by her.

#23 Posted by Dernman (14731 posts) - - Show Bio

How well did the first Supergirl movie do?

#24 Posted by fesak (7031 posts) - - Show Bio

It's already been done and the problem with it was not enough nudity.

#25 Posted by Dernman (14731 posts) - - Show Bio

lol

#26 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

i think a supergirl film could work with the right writeing team and director but thats a longshot ik. i would pick Laura Vandervoort from smallville as Kara to play supergirl cause that show did not really do the charater justice in my opion. the only good thing about the 84 supergirl film was Helen Slater.

#27 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it all depends if man of steel movie is really good. If its a really good movie, than maybe hollywood might consider a supergirl movie

#28 Edited by majestic99 (8638 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

Superman Returns was pretty good. But I feel like they need to show a different side of Superman(one who doesn't hold back, like in the DCU Online trailer).

#29 Edited by majestic99 (8638 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't care who plays Supergirl, she could be black for all I care, as long as she's a good actor I'll see it(not trying to be racist, just saying a black supergirl wouldn't be bad)

#30 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Let Superman get his due first. The we'll worry about Supergirl.

And honestly? I'm not sure if it'd work.

#31 Posted by articpenguin (1 posts) - - Show Bio

To me super girl was better than then all 4 original superman movies

superman 1 - hi world I’m superman and am all powerful oh no kryptonite I’m getting weaker and need to be saved buy the enemy

superman 2 - was the best of the 4 almost as good as super girl

superman 3 - august was vary annoying

superman 4 - superman just fights some nobody

I would like to see super girl

#32 Posted by MajorHoy (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe if trhey tried an animated solo movie first before making a live-action one?

And it might also be a question of which Supergirl: the traditional version or the DCnU version that began in September 2011?

#33 Edited by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

They already made one actually.

It was not good.

#34 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

perhaps she should be a side character first until we can get some promise.

#35 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#36 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3483 posts) - - Show Bio

It would work as a Superman Sequel. I wouldn't give her her own solo.

#37 Posted by golvellius (207 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the current introductory arc of the New 52 Supergirl would make for a great movie.

#38 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

Anybody else think so?

#39 Posted by TheCannon (17901 posts) - - Show Bio

It didn't work in the 80s, it won't work now.

#40 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

Here what I think the movie should go...

The movie should be told in 1st person point of view, so the audience could connect more with super-girl.I think the movie can be similiar to the current run of of the Supergirl. Supergirl comes down with the pod and She fights the russians who finds her and than fights superman. Supergirl starts to lose and flies away and superman couldn't go after her because he had to stop a crime. She goes off into space with a crystal in her hand which she got from her pod. The crystal opens a portal and flies to agro(a part of her home) and She learns that her home got destroyed.

She meets an alien who are the named the world killers and learns that they destroyed her planet. The world killers knock her out unconscious and she wakes up in time and escape agro. She than has an epic space journey and she fights her rouge galleries.She returns to planet earth and realizes that this is her home now.When she returns, she fights a mind-controlled superman, she couldn't even fight him the first time she meet him but she got stronger now. She holds her own but she knows she isn't going to hold out much longer. She wins with a plot device and is able to defeat superman.

The movie ends with supergirl looking outwards while on a cliff with superman by her feet almost died . The carma zooms into superman's and supergirl's S. This is how I imagined the movie.

#41 Posted by Onemoreposter (3938 posts) - - Show Bio

@WarMachineMarkV said:

- Superman Returns was barely profitable and Superman is a much easier sell than Supergirl, so not much of a chance IMO

- I agree that a significant cameo in a Superman movie that makes big $$$ would help, but even that is likely not enough

- I just do not see a big enough audience to offset the budget, better off for now with animated straight to DVD's at this point.

Uhhh....I think you need to go check the numbers friend. It wasn't a great movie, but it preformed great at the box office. Over 180 mil in return (after breaking even with it's budget) and that number doesn't include dvd sales/rentals and merchandising.

@majestic99: It didn't work the first time ...

But at least Helen Slater was a babe!

#42 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

It didn't work in the 80s, it won't work now.

if written well enough, writers can write a good movie

#43 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#44 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

I dreamt that in Man of Steel 3, they'll introduce both Supergirl and Superboy and have an ultimate battle against Doomsday.

#45 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

@WarMachineMarkV said:

Uhhh....I think you need to go check the numbers friend. It wasn't a great movie, but it preformed great at the box office. Over 180 mil in return (after breaking even with it's budget) and that number doesn't include dvd sales/rentals and merchandising.

@majestic99: It didn't work the first time ...

But at least Helen Slater was a babe!

Worldwide Take = $391 mil (box office mojo)

Production Budget = $270 mil (box office mojo)

Marketing Budget = $100 mil (wikipedia)

Profit = $21 mil (before DVD)

- Now all these numbers are estimates, due to Hollywood Accounting all posted figures are to be taken with a grain of salt. Foe this example we are just going to assume they are correct as they are the best we have to work with.

- $21 million dollars is a lot of money to the rest of us, but to Hollywood that kind of return on a near $400 mil project is a failure.

- These tentpole movies are expected to make hundreds of millions and a much larger ROI, if their profit was as big as you thought they sure as hell would not be rebooting again.

#46 Posted by Onemoreposter (3938 posts) - - Show Bio

@WarMachineMarkV: Care sharing your source for that?

#47 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter:

- The source of the figures given are listed right next to them, what other sources are you asking for?

#48 Posted by Onemoreposter (3938 posts) - - Show Bio

@WarMachineMarkV: oh, duh. My bad.

#49 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Let Superman get his due first. The we'll worry about Supergirl.

And honestly? I'm not sure if it'd work.

#50 Posted by AssertingValor (5380 posts) - - Show Bio

@majestic99: i think it would be a nice reprieve from the just superman films.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.