Review: Supergirl Annual #2

Posted by Zack Freeman (314 posts) - - Show Bio
Having finished her business in Bizarroworld, Supergirl finds herself thrown into the Legion of Superheroes' future; an era where her romance with Brainiac 5 blossoms amidst a terrible conflict with Satan Girl.

The Good

Brainiac comments at one point that Kara's going to remember this whole experience as if it were a dream, and that line's apt to describe what I enjoyed about the story. This really captures the whimsy of the Silver Age while still having strong character development and a surprisingly-menacing threat. As it's been hinted at for a long time, I was glad to see the romance between Kara and Brainiac finally getting a chance to develop on the center stage. Not only is their star-crossed puppy love impossible to resist, it actually ends on a rousing point of destiny-defiance that I could seriously get behind.

The Bad

The art could be a bit inconsistent at times. For instance, the good vibe I was feeling from the quite-tight opening pages was abruptly interrupted by the double-splash with the LSH recovering the downed satellite.  Instead of thinking about this big "widescreen moment" there, I was thinking about the anatomy, perspective and the odd quality the hatching took on.

The Verdict - 4/5

The Legionaires are usually my least-favorite characters in the DC Universe, so I'm doubly-pleased that this one-shot was able to turn what I normally dislike about them into a strength. More specifically, I've always found their peaceful future to be a touch boring but this story used that to play on the more fairy tale, almost Picaresque, aspects of their world for a genuinely charming story. Plus, I'm really curious to see where Brainiac's love-fueled plan will lead.
#1 Posted by Nick-SV(ril) (570 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved the issue, and what Brainy was discussing with Garth in the first pages was hella interesting.

#2 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

Might have to check this out.

#3 Posted by 04nbod (174 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a feeling this might be traded with the recent Adventure comics stuff considering the content. Just a heads up for trade waiters that this might be a standalone issue to look for in time.

#4 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

This and Batgirl have been a really nice fresh breath in Bats and Supes sub-universes^^

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.