Adventure Comics #3 REVIEWED, Conner & Tim Together

Posted by G-Man (36552 posts) - - Show Bio

As I was reviewing this, I started asking myself, who is the bigger draw here, Geoff Johns or Francis Manapul?  There's also the fact that it's Superboy, Red Robin AND Krypto here.

I just have to say this was truly a beautiful comic.  When you look at the images and see Francis Manapul's amazing art and colors, it's easy to get distracted or sucked into them.  If you actually read the story, read the interaction between Conner and Tim, you'll see that Geoff Johns also does a 'beautiful' job.  He takes two characters that were best friends and really writes them well.  

I mentioned when I reviewed the first issue that I'm not the biggest fan of the Legion of Superheroes.  I don't have anything against them, I just never really got into them.  Maybe I just never really gave them a chance.  I did enjoy the 'second feature' here though.  It looks like something big could be coming up with them.

What would have made this perfect (for me) was a full issue of Superboy, Krypto, etc with Geoff Johns and Francis Manapul.  We know their days are numbered on this book so we just have to enjoy this while we can.
#1 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

I checked out Manapul's blog the other day and boy do I love his art style. IMO he's the perfect artist for Adventure Comics.

#2 Posted by Zniperking (281 posts) - - Show Bio

oh no super bitch is coming back run hide do something

#3 Posted by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really upset with DC pulling Johns and Manapul off of Adventure Comics so soon...I mean there hasn't been any action what so ever in these 3 issues but I haved loved every single issue so far 

I also wish that the Legion wasn't in this and it was just a Superboy book

#4 Posted by burr787 (2504 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone else notice a resemblance?

#5 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

LOVE this series! i'm pretty bummed that the creative team's time on the book is so limited. and there better be a new Superboy in Smallville series coming soon.

great issue!

#6 Posted by TheSavageAssasin (2761 posts) - - Show Bio

This was great!Loved this ish

#7 Posted by Hellos (8914 posts) - - Show Bio

QQboy Prime, maybe they will develope him into a more interesting character. That or kill him off for good.    
#8 Posted by NightFang (10125 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully there will be more Red Robin & Superboy team ups after this, like Superman\Batman.

#9 Posted by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang:  I've wanted a Superboy/Red Robin series for a while
#10 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

HOW MANY DAMN BOOKS DOES JOHNS DO?
#11 Posted by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang:  I've wanted a Superboy/Red Robin series for a while
#12 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
@goldenkey said:
" HOW MANY DAMN BOOKS DOES JOHNS DO? "
He usually writes 5 books per month
#13 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

" it's easy to get distracting" 
distracted

#14 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Digging the relationship between Superboy and Red Robin.

#15 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3558 posts) - - Show Bio

Really like the new opening graphic for the review. The scrolling comics reminded me slightly of the MARVEL logo they add to the beginning of their movies.

Does it sound silly that I really like that drawing of Kyrpto barking? They way he drew the mouth was spot on. As a dog owner you should know that when dogs give small barks they don't open their mouths the whole way. The art looks really good in this, but something about that dialog feels off. Do you really think Conner is the guy of young man who would say, "touche"?

#16 Posted by johnny_spam (2036 posts) - - Show Bio

Legion coming to the past? Very interesting, I can't wait till Paul Levitz comes on the book. I haven't bought this book because I don't want just a few pages of the Legion.

#17 Posted by afierce (257 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks G-Man! You've got me interested in this title now - I think I will check it out!

I must ask... where are you doing your reviews lately? It looks like you're in a basement somewhere?

#18 Posted by G-Man (36552 posts) - - Show Bio
@afierce: It's my secret lair...
#19 Posted by darkjustice522 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

supes??... i dunno?...some kind of friend... Bruce always got his back.. but what did he do?.. he let the "MORTAL" dude handle a god... i mean DARKSEID!........

#20 Posted by Archetype (731 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed this issue...more than I should have if that makes any since.Seeing these 2 friends back together was fun and I really wish we could have the Teen Titans back, or Young Justice but either way these characters really do make for an exciting story for me.Even though it doesn't have much action just the 2 of them talking in Luthor's abandoned lab was so enthralling.I think I have a major bromance going on over here.a bromance guy-angle?

#21 Posted by 04nbod (174 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam: Legion have been in the past for a while. The reveal of another legion is the past was the shocker!
#22 Posted by Nahero (9915 posts) - - Show Bio

i loved that tender moment they both had they really are such good friends i gotta say

#23 Posted by Isaiah Bradley (42 posts) - - Show Bio
@burr787 said:
" Does anyone else notice a resemblance?

"
hahaha I do now. Who do you think would win in a fight? No Banki

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.