inferiorego's Superboy #7 - End Days review

• inferiorego wrote this review on .
  • inferiorego has written a total of 318 reviews. The last one was for

Choose Your Destiny

Superboy destroys all of Smallville… or does he? Find out in my 300 review! (Spoiler: I won’t let you know in this review is he destroys Smallville or not. Read it yourself to find out)

The Good

The first thing you notice about this issue, the second you pick it up is that there are two very different, yet distinct art styles by Marco Rudy and Daniel HDR. One style is more of the traditional art (HDR) and the other is very surrealistic, and looks like it was done in watercolors (Rudy). Marco Rudy’s art is probably the best thing about this issue. While you may not know exactly what is happening in this story, until right at the end, Rudy’s art has this great, creepy feeling to it. Yes, it’s a bit creepy, but it really fits in with the story as a whole. As the story comes to its conclusion, you find out that it’s just the first part  of the story arc, and there are some great left-over questions that I really desired the answers to. By the end of the issue, I really liked what Jeff Lemire had done with the story. It was an interesting twist on an old classic.

The Bad

I wasn’t into HDR’s artwork, and at the same time, I don’t like when art styles change throughout a book. Sure, by the end of the issue, I was really digging on the change between artists, but for the first half, I truly hated the change. At the same time, I really didn’t like the story, until the last couple pages. I felt confused, just like Superboy did, and while having the same feeling that the main character experiences during the book is cool, it wasn’t grabbing me.

It’s a great starting point, since it’s the beginning of a new story arc, but you have to get around the confusion and art styles switching up as you peruse the book. You may not like the first half, but keep pushing through because it gets a heck of a lot better at the end. Even though I only gave this issue 3.5 stars, I’d still recommend it because all-in-all it was a very good read. For me, HDR’s art dragged it down as well as the confusing story line.

P.S. I really tried to make my 300 review 300 words long, but it just wasn’t going to happen.

Posted by longbowhunter

One of the better issues of this title to be sure. I havent trusted this Simon Valentine kid from the get go. Apparently neither does Conner's subconcious.
Posted by Silkcuts

I like the honest attempt to do something symbolic, 300 words, great idea.