mikeyar19's Superboy #21 - State of Decay review

• mikeyar19 wrote this review on .

Psychic Decay

Superboy continues his team-up with Dr. Psycho in their pursuit of the psych-sucking H.I.V.E.!

Good:
Justin Jordan seems to be writing Superboy as a more light-hearted, heavy action book, which I'm generally fine with. Lobdell and DeFalco were kinda doing that, but always seemed to get tripped up with some crossover or whatnot. What's interesting, though, is that Jordan's dialogue tone very nearly matches Lobdell/DeFalco, which may or may not be intentional. Anyway, Kon's partnership with Dr. Psycho is fun and I think having another character around to bounce around dialogue helps pacing. Krypto shows up randomly, but there's nothing wrong with that! Hopefully he'll be a mainstay in this book as he once was in the pre-New 52. The Decay villain was an interesting idea and starts to shed light on what H.I.V.E. may be capable of.

Bad:

I've always enjoyed Silva's art on this book, but something was slightly off this issue. The inks seemed too strong, and some of the panels looked straight-up anime. While I agree with the light-hearted direction that Jordan seems to be taking the book, I think the humor is off here. Kon's sarcastic retorts are just too minced and even confusing sometimes. I end up re-reading a whole page just to understand the context of a sarcastic word balloon. Finally, we still don't know much more about H.I.V.E. after last issue.

Conclusion: 3/5