Superhuman Registration act

#1 Posted by Donnohowjop (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Was good while it lasted

#2 Posted by THALASTDRAGON (387 posts) - - Show Bio

Anti-registration all the way.  If registration was real, I would've gone underground for a bit to find others and figure out how to overthrow the whole system.

#3 Posted by Mutant God (3020 posts) - - Show Bio

Registration would have been a good thing
#4 Posted by tim2081 (519 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, they almost dropped it entirely, if they hadn't put Steve Rogers in charge to create and monitor the teams.

#5 Posted by Mercy_ (92623 posts) - - Show Bio

The concept was a good one, the execution was poor.

#6 Posted by PowerHerc (81637 posts) - - Show Bio

Stil anti-registration.
#7 Posted by JediXMan (29623 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" The concept was a good one, the execution was poor. "
This.

I was anti-reg because of the way Tony went about it. Hiring villains, cloning Thor, sending people to the negative zone, etc. All of those turned him into a villain (I still don't understand how the writers viewed him as a good guy in the story...). The concept of the registration act, however, made sense and was realistic.
#8 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
This.  I was anti-reg because of the way Tony went about it. Hiring villains, cloning Thor, sending people to the negative zone, etc. All of those turned him into a villain (I still don't understand how the writers viewed him as a good guy in the story...). The concept of the registration act, however, made sense and was realistic. "
This again. I still can't figure out how Thor, Spidey and Cap could forgive him.
#9 Posted by JediXMan (29623 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: 

Well, as for Thor, it was like this:

"HOW DARE YOU TREAT YOUR FRIENDS LIKE THAT!"
*beats the crap out of Tony*
"Alright. We're good now."
#10 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan: I know, the beatdown was good, but considering the damage the Thor Clone caused, Tony was let off easy.
#11 Posted by digimod (239 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @JediXMan said:
This.  I was anti-reg because of the way Tony went about it. Hiring villains, cloning Thor, sending people to the negative zone, etc. All of those turned him into a villain (I still don't understand how the writers viewed him as a good guy in the story...). The concept of the registration act, however, made sense and was realistic. "
This again. I still can't figure out how Thor, Spidey and Cap could forgive him. "
It's hard to blame him when his memory of that portion of his life was wiped clean.
#12 Posted by JediXMan (29623 posts) - - Show Bio
@digimod: 

He forgot, yes, but he still did it. He's not all of a sudden a different person. He even said that he would do it again.
#13 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@digimod said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @JediXMan said:
This again. I still can't figure out how Thor, Spidey and Cap could forgive him. "
It's hard to blame him when his memory of that portion of his life was wiped clean. "
They blamed the Sentry when he was being manipulated and taken over by a different personality. I'm not hating on Tony, I think Civil War was just bad writing, and totally out of character for him. Post-Civil War that version of Tony got off easy. Especially since everyone still treats Pym like a second class citizen despite being mentally disturbed and being psychologically worn down at the time he hit Jan.
#14 Posted by Malonius (883 posts) - - Show Bio

The government must maintain a monopoly on the legitimate use of force. Civil rights, continuum of force, innocent until proven guilty, law and order.....vigilantism must be against the law.  On the other hand, if the government is corrupt and tyrranical,  the people have a right to overthrow it. Some of Daredevil's best stories have involved him proving that government is in the hands of organized crime. That's not something you can punch in the face though.

#15 Posted by Lyrad (369 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:

Some of the greatest villains believe they are good. They think the mayhem that they cause is for the greater good, not realising why they are considered the bad guys. I'm not condoning Tonys actions, he angered me, but I think he was a victim of his own self importance and new found power. I think the writers did a good job by changing Tony's persepective, making him the bad guy but having him believe he was the good guy.  

I know alot of people didn't like Civil War, but I loved it. Out of all the recent major Marvel events, I think Civil War is the best and will the one that is remembered above all.
#16 Posted by Wise Son (1772 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mutant God: Read the new Uncanny X-Force for a new take on compulsory registration.
#17 Posted by Mutant God (3020 posts) - - Show Bio
@Wise Son:
I meant the SHRA could have been a good thing
#18 Posted by karrob (4278 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
I totally agree
#19 Posted by Darkerman (516 posts) - - Show Bio

Pro-Reg was the way to go, Iron Man did what what he had to do.

#20 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

The Avengers were founded on the principles that members didn't need to reveal their identities. And they were an international body not working specifically for the United States Government so their involvement in enforcing the Superhuman Registration Act was B.S. in my opinion.

#21 Posted by Wattup (648 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil War is an example of what I HATE in comics. A massive event that had ramifications for YEARS but when the second Iron Man movie came out, they just had to put the Avengers band back together, thus everything that just happened being ignored in a "ho-hum" kind of way.

#22 Posted by Kairan1979 (16711 posts) - - Show Bio
@Malonius
I don't trust government to have superpowered soldiers - too much talk about "acceptable losses". I don't trust justice system - it's too corrupt. Witnesses can be bribed or scared, evidences can disappear, a good lawyer can destroy a case even if there are both witnesses and evidences. Superheroes are there to make sure justice is served even if the villain can't be punished legally.
#23 Posted by 84taskmaster84 (50 posts) - - Show Bio
Iron Man 14

I loved the concept of the Civil War.I hated and felt for Tony at the same time the U.S government issued a law he tried to uphold that law i didnt like the law and went anti-registration but it had good points.heros should be responsible for thier actions the damage they cause sometimes makes me say wow no one died there something needed to change to make the heroes accountable for thier actions could it have been handled better yes.Was Tony a Villian......yes and no he up held the law that is what superheroes do.I dont go off the grid cause i dont like taxes lol but some of the things tony did man unexcuseable bill fosters death was as much tony's fault as cap's and same goes for the use of villians war=casualties no war then no one dies all in all i think it was a long time comming and it showed were some big hereos stood when the chips were down
#24 Posted by Obtrusive (1642 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have been pro reg.  In dc they got their justice league to work, I imagined it working more like that.  The government only mildly involved.  It does get sketchy when characters like spider man need to keep their identity to protect their families and themselves.  The data base would have to be ultra secure.

#25 Posted by PowerHerc (81637 posts) - - Show Bio

They'll find a way to revisit this storyline again.

#26 Posted by JediXMan (29623 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

Doubtful. They're kinda just ignoring all things pre-Siege.
#27 Edited by Westlife (1798 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:

@FadeToBlackBolt:   Well, as for Thor, it was like this:  "HOW DARE YOU TREAT YOUR FRIENDS LIKE THAT!" *beats the crap out of Tony* "Alright. We're good now."

This. Loved his "The reason you suck" speech. Definitely one of my favorite Thor moments. Because the Civil War made me hate Iron Man(and it made Cap cooler than ever) and I was like "seriously? You're trying to register Thor? And what if he says no?" Then the guys are like "there's that disturbance again." and tony man says "leave it alone" He totally bitched Tony Man.

The Civil War and the time after that was saddening, but I loved it.

#28 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Obtrusive: The thing is, I don't think it would be possible to make a database secure enough. Anything the government can come up with, HYDRA or Ultron could hack without breaking a sweat (ok, so Ultron doesn't actually sweat, but you know what I mean). The primary reason that superheroes exist is because there are certain things the government is simply incapable of doing (or can't be trusted to do). If the government was truly doing its job, there would be no need for superheroes in the first place.
#29 Posted by JediXMan (29623 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadow_Thief said:
@Obtrusive: The thing is, I don't think it would be possible to make a database secure enough. Anything the government can come up with, HYDRA or Ultron could hack without breaking a sweat (ok, so Ultron doesn't actually sweat, but you know what I mean). The primary reason that superheroes exist is because there are certain things the government is simply incapable of doing (or can't be trusted to do). If the government was truly doing its job, there would be no need for superheroes in the first place.
Could always take the database off the network. Course, that also means information would have to be manually uploaded to their system, but...
#30 Posted by PowerHerc (81637 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

@PowerHerc said:

Yes they are ignoring the Pre-Seige stuff so far, but they'll go back to the registration stuff at some point.

#31 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil War was just stupid. I don't know why anyone wants to be a hero in the Marvel Universe; it's the most ludicrously thankful job imaginable. People hate you, the Government wants to know everything about you, and have a revolving door jail system at the same time. 

It's a wonder Pete and the other Secret Avengers didn't all say "**** you" and move to Canada. I would've.

#32 Posted by War Killer (19992 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

@JediXMan said:

@PowerHerc said:

Yes they are ignoring the Pre-Seige stuff so far, but they'll go back to the registration stuff at some point.

No I agree, Marvel is doing everything they can to forget about CW. They had Iron Man "forget" everything that happened so he can't really be blamed now....Hank was a Skrull, and Reed's well...Reed. Steve Rogers is back as Captain America, people love him and praise him even though they were chewing him out right when died. Not to mention that we went through ALL of the heck that was Civil War, but suddenly Steve simply asks the President and the Act is thrown out like that as if it meant nothing.

Civil War is done, time to move on...
#33 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:

@PowerHerc said:

@JediXMan said:

@PowerHerc said:

No I agree, Marvel is doing everything they can to forget about CW. They had Iron Man "forget" everything that happened so he can't really be blamed now....Hank was a Skrull, and Reed's well...Reed. Steve Rogers is back as Captain America, people love him and praise him even though they were chewing him out right when died. Not to mention that we went through ALL of the heck that was Civil War, but suddenly Steve simply asks the President and the Act is thrown out like that as if it meant nothing. Civil War is done, time to move on...
I tend to agree, it's been swiftly swept under the rug. It was the entire point of that wankfest Seige; to give the whole thing a visible villain to be defeated in specatucular fashion so children (and those with the intelligent of) would feel better about the heroes of the Marvel Universe being kicked around by the Editorial Staff for the past 5 years. 

Civil War seemed good at the time, but Marvel have clearly realised that it wasn't a feasible long term idea. Hell, Thor should tear Reed and Tony's skulls out for all the crap they pulled with Ragnarok. But nope, super happy fun time in Avengers.
#34 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

You should have to register if you want to be a government endorsed superhero, such as a member of the Avengers. If you do superheroics and do not register, then you should expect to be under lots of scrutiny. But asking everyone with powers even if they're not heroes to register (e.g., Cloud 9) was wrong.

#35 Posted by Paracelsus (1517 posts) - - Show Bio

Just as well the SHRA was repealed- if the Mafia can penetrate the Witness Protection Programme or the KGB can infiltrate the CIA(Aldrich Ames) and FBI(Rick Hansen), in real life( and BOTH the LCN and Soviet intelligence are composed of "normal" people), then imagine what Dr Doom or Magneto could do by breaking into the SHRA database by either hacking directly or suborning relevant personnel!

Terry

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.