Off My Mind: Was The Superhuman Registration Act Right Or Wrong?

• 87 results
Posted by G-Man (19208 posts) - - Show Bio
The Superhuman Registration Act. It can be seen as either the greatest idea or the biggest mistake in the Marvel Universe. It's hard to believe that this all started back in 2006. Perhaps now we can discuss whether or not it was a good idea.

Tony Stark gets a lot of heat for supporting the Registration Act. Originally he was opposed to it. At the time, I couldn't tell if he was sincere or if this was part of his plan to convince others (like Spider-Man) to support it. Stark told the rest of the Illuminati that if they supported the act, it could help diffuse a tense situation. He felt that if super-powered individuals ever made a mistake, the government and the people would be all over them. This turned out to be true when the New Warriors fought Nitro, which resulted in the death of hundreds, including a nearby school of children. Was that tragedy the fault of the improperly trained New Warriors or would the same results have occurred even if a more experienced team was there?

I was never a strong supporter of the SHRA, let me make that clear. The problem that people like Captain America had was the way the Act was set up. The civil liberties of the super-powered individuals were in jeopardy. The Act required those with natural superhuman abilities, powers granted through magic or science (including gods and extraterrestrials) and even those using advanced technology to register with the U.S. government as "living weapons of mass destruction." The individuals would then be properly trained when the Fifty State Initiative was set up.
== TEASER ==

One of the biggest arguments against the Registration Act is what happened to Spider-Man. After he publicly revealed his identity, Aunt May was shot and she was about to die. What you have to remember is the Act didn't require an individual to publicly reveal their secret identities. That information was to be kept secret and on file with the government. But we all know how secrets often get out.

What it comes down to is, individuals with superpowers can be dangerous to themselves and those around them. They do need proper training. If a police officer is given a gun, he or she is going to receive the proper training in using it before hitting the streets. The powers that some individuals get are obviously more extreme than a simple gun. It just has to be asked, should they be forced to have training? Should they be forced to tell someone their real identities? I didn't agree when someone like the Prowler was required to register. He started out as a window washer. He just made some cool gadgets. I didn't see how that made him fall under the SUPERHUMAN Registration Act. But if a person does have powers, there should be some accountability in using them.

Even after all these years, I'm still not sure where I stand on the SHRA. You could say it was a good idea that was just executed poorly. Professor X has been trying to prevent 'accidents' for years by training and guiding young mutants. We will be seeing the Avengers Academy which will hopefully also help young powered kids learn to use their abilities and to do the right thing with them. That would be my biggest fear in training people to use their powers. You have to hope that they don't decide one day to use their finely honed skills for ill purposes.

Since it's been four years now, do you still feel the same about the Registration Act? Do you think super-powered individuals should be required to register themselves the same way people register owning a firearm? Do you think things should have been handled differently? If you had powers, would you have registered or would you have left the country? "With great power comes great responsibility." What should suiper-powered people be responsible in doing?
Staff
#1 Posted by Dane (10656 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, didn't like it or the in-your-face allegory. Everything that happened has been retconned over anyway. Steve Rogers is back, Tony Stark has no memory of the events etc.

#2 Posted by Shanana (53530 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that they should have been forced to register, If one didn't know what the act did and just heard the name they would still be able to infer that the act would split the community down the middle.  Then you'd have to wonder "Am i doing this for the right reasons?"

Peter didn't think so!

He saw the horrors of both sides, most notable The clone Thor shooting a whole through Goliath. I also believed that the SHRA was a direct contradiction to the 13th amendment...lol but i'm not going to get into all that.
#3 Posted by darkrider (467 posts) - - Show Bio

in the real world   REGISTRATION is the right thing    
#4 Posted by Shanana (53530 posts) - - Show Bio

How? Super powered beings represent a race, if that's the case then it was OK for the U.S to use internment camps different situation but practically the same thing.

#5 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

You'd think there would be debate within the comic book community, y'know?  But there isn't.  Marvel set the whole registration plot line up as philisophical rift between the heroes, but it never really took off that way.  From day one, issue one, it was plain as day which of the heroes were on the "good side" and which ones were on the "bad side".  They even went so far as to stack more of the square and brainy characters into Tony's corner as they could and put more of the cool/rebel characters into Steve's.

And what's this?  Iron Man becomes a huge hit at the box office?  Well, we can't have Iron Man be a bad guy in the books anymore.  He's more popular now, so lets just give him a bout of soap-opera amnesia before the sequel comes out.

#6 Posted by warlock360 (28155 posts) - - Show Bio

registration.

#7 Posted by biggkeem89 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

I was and still am against the SHRA. The government did not need to have heroes under their finger. You'd just have a bunch of Weapons of Mass Destruction under the governments hand. That's the doorway to totalitarianism. Heroes are above the bureacracy and control of the government.. They do right because its the right thing to do, without pay. They protect the people just because
#8 Posted by Shanana (53530 posts) - - Show Bio
@biggkeem89 said:
" I was and still am against the SHRA. The government did not need to have heroes under their finger. You'd just have a bunch of Weapons of Mass Destruction under the governments hand. That's the doorway to totalitarianism. Heroes are above the bureacracy and control of the government.. They do right because its the right thing to do, without pay. They protect the people just because "
QTW
#9 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

I think registration should have been a choice to fight for something more organized. Stark was going about it the wrong way. It should have been more of an army. Something like the video game marvel ultimate alliance. There probably would have been more heroes on board is stark wasnt such a dictator.

#10 Posted by bingbangboom (735 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it was a good idea but poorly planned. Part of that was it was rushed through and became a mandate but these things happen. It was the ol' "slippery slop" idea, that if the government has this information then they would do evil stuff... SHIELD pretty much has or had all the information anyway. To me, it was more about training the heroes vs. locking them up. It was supposed to be used to avoid disasters and incidents like Stamford.

#11 Edited by Meteora (70 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, ok.. Lets be fair guys. We chose to see it as a wrong thing in the way that our favorite hero might be hurt etc. But see this from your REAL life perspective. Would you like to know if a guy or girl in your neighborhood is a potential threats to your family or not? Would you let that person just run around free if you knew that person does what he wants acco0rding to what he believes is justice? After all just because is a hero it doesn't mean he is right. or that he is a good guy.. Look at Green Arrow lately. Or better yet look at Wolverine many call him a hero but the truth is that worse than him there are none. Lets see he is bipolar, has 1 foot adamantium claws, is built like Mr. Olympic has an alcohol problem Is the worse role model anyone could have. ASIDE FROM YOUR FAN BOYISM Really, Would you let Wolverine be your neighbor?  I'm a huge Deadpool fan but that damn maniac aint living on my street! Hell no! 

So in my opinion treating this like a real life situation I would support the registration act. 

Now as as fan boy I don't.. XD

#12 Posted by Shanana (53530 posts) - - Show Bio
@Meteora said:
" Well, ok.. Lets be fair guys. We chose to see it as a wrong thing in the way that our favorite hero might be hurt etc. But see this from your REAL life perspective. Would you like to know if a guy or girl in your neighborhood is a potential threats to your family or not? Would you let that person just run around free if you knew that person does what he wants acco0rding to what he believes is justice? After all just because is a hero it doesn't mean he is right. or that he is a good guy.. Look at Green Arrow lately. Or better yet look at Wolverine many call him a hero but the truth is that worse than him there are none. Lets see he is bipolar, has 1 foot adamantium claws, is built like Mr. Olympic has an alcohol problem Is the worse role model anyone could have. ASIDE FROM YOUR FAN BOYISM Really, Would you let Wolverine be your neighbor?  I'm a huge Deadpool fan but that damn maniac aint living on my street! Hell no!   So in my opinion treating this like a real life situation I would support the registration act.   Now as as fan boy I don't.. XD "
I still support my position. What's stopping the Policeman with an Alcoholic problem from randomly firing at people. Like i said it violates the 13th amendment
#13 Posted by Caliber268 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gainst the SHRA, the government doesn't need to know who they are and neither does anyone else.  The heroes are protecting people, the people don't care who they are as long as they're still being protected.  All this act did was tear right down the middle of heroes that all do the same thing, help people.  Nowadays especially I could see the government trying to enforce this act but it's unnecessary and the gov't should just let the heroes be heroes.

#14 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@Meteora said:
" Well, ok.. Lets be fair guys. We chose to see it as a wrong thing in the way that our favorite hero might be hurt etc. But see this from your REAL life perspective. Would you like to know if a guy or girl in your neighborhood is a potential threats to your family or not? Would you let that person just run around free if you knew that person does what he wants acco0rding to what he believes is justice? After all just because is a hero it doesn't mean he is right. or that he is a good guy.. Look at Green Arrow lately. Or better yet look at Wolverine many call him a hero but the truth is that worse than him there are none. Lets see he is bipolar, has 1 foot adamantium claws, is built like Mr. Olympic has an alcohol problem Is the worse role model anyone could have. ASIDE FROM YOUR FAN BOYISM Really, Would you let Wolverine be your neighbor?  I'm a huge Deadpool fan but that damn maniac aint living on my street! Hell no!   So in my opinion treating this like a real life situation I would support the registration act.   Now as as fan boy I don't.. XD "
agreed, I agree. My opinion is that same as yours. we share a common belief. 
But im not gunna lie. i would love to live next to wolverine. I would try to befriend him and if i died it would be okay. The only way i could die happy is by wolverine's hands/claws. =)
#15 Posted by warlock360 (28155 posts) - - Show Bio
@doordoor123:  Me³
#16 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio
@bingbangboom said:
"I think it was a good idea but poorly planned. Part of that was it was rushed through and became a mandate but these things happen. It was the ol' "slippery slop" idea, that if the government has this information then they would do evil stuff... SHIELD pretty much has or had all the information anyway. To me, it was more about training the heroes vs. locking them up. It was supposed to be used to avoid disasters and incidents like Stamford. "

This. 

@biggkeem89 said:
"I was and still am against the SHRA. The government did not need to have heroes under their finger. You'd just have a bunch of Weapons of Mass Destruction under the governments hand. That's the doorway to totalitarianism. Heroes are above the bureacracy and control of the government.. They do right because its the right thing to do, without pay. They protect the people just because "

There's truth in there, but you'll notice that the Governement has allready WMD (Nuclear weapon and the like) under his finger, and US is not a dictatorial country.
#17 Posted by Divine_Monkey (28 posts) - - Show Bio

In real life? I'd be against it.
Slavery was abolished a long time ago. I don't want it back.

Many superheroes never had a choice in getting those powers (especially true for mutants). Just having them should not mean that the government can force you into service.

Now if the Act had been "If you wish to fight crime with the help of superpowers you have to register" that would be a different thing. But it wasn't.

#18 Posted by Shanana (53530 posts) - - Show Bio
@Divine_Monkey said:
" In real life? I'd be against it.

Many superheroes never had a choice in getting those powers (especially true for mutants). Just having them should not mean that the government can force you into service.

Now if the Act had been "If you wish to fight crime with the help of superpowers you have to register" that would be a different thing. But it wasn't. "
THIS!
#19 Posted by Meteora (70 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sha said:
Could be the fact that if he does he wont have a job to buy more boost XD 
#20 Posted by Shanana (53530 posts) - - Show Bio
@Meteora said:
" @Sha said: Could be the fact that if he does he wont have a job to buy more boost XD  "
LOL oh hush!
#21 Posted by SuperXAsh (529 posts) - - Show Bio

ironically, despite the fact that it had some serious bullshit involved with it's initial enforcement, the SHRA wasn't this "OMG EVERYTHING'S RUINED" program in the end. The initiative stuff kinda proved that. 

But the only downside to it, besides being declared a criminal if you weren't registered (but after the civil war, that apparently wasn't a big deal either, as shown by various non-registered heroes who weren't jailed) was that it helped the Skrulls better infiltrate the US. That's... about it.
#22 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18766 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still against it 

#23 Posted by SOILD_MONTY_TACOWTF (19 posts) - - Show Bio

to me im on a tip of the knife. some people had reasons to sigining on and others had their. that why i side with doctor strange and his belief. to me siding with registration means you give up the whole point of being a superhero and just being a tool use by the government incase they need you. while siding against it means your label as a criminal. but seeing how things have come to the current point it causes me to wonder the if statement. maybe if the registration didnt occur sentry wouldnt be in the state he is in. and ironman wouldnt have to had to go into a veggie state just so norman wouldnt get his hand on the records. but without idk what would happen during the invasion

#24 Posted by PhantomAres (118 posts) - - Show Bio

While I always understood the point and arguing for the act I never supported it, much like G-Man said it was about how it was done and not the act itself that I largely had a problem with. Like it has already been mentioned the definition of superhuman was wildly splattered on anyone, regardless of their actual threat level and abilities. It was an act to train and protect those with amazing abilities, yet during the act anyone who had a fancy costume and a codename was considered fair game for punishment. 

My one major concern with the whole act and training was, to be put simply, who on earth can train these people? Yes I understand certain heroes and such could offer advice to rookies but many a hero, and villain for that matter, cannot comprehend the extent of their powers and how they can be used even after years, possibly an entire lifetime, of having said ability. Apart from what should really be common sense in battles and keep level headed mentally what can a person be taught? A prime example would be Sentry, say he did some of this training, what exactly could he be taught or done to him? There would simply be a cap somewhere in it all where training would be impossible/irrelevant and then what happens? Do they get automatically locked away as they are too powerful and uncontrollable?  Maybe I am missing something, but this was my thoughts on the whole mess.    

#25 Posted by Shanana (53530 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't there skrulls present during the Civil war?

#26 Posted by goldenkey (2920 posts) - - Show Bio

It made for some interesting stories.  That's it.  Who would actually agree with it. 
#27 Posted by the_fallen11 (635 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its wrong.

#28 Posted by Aspenite (868 posts) - - Show Bio

I always hated the registration act. I was and still am against registration. It doesn´t help the situation.

How could it have helped the New Warriors if they were registered?

#29 Posted by IrishX (2498 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this topic already has a thread. Guess it's time to lock this one!....... just kidding btw. 
#30 Posted by speedlgt (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

1st of all you need to ask why heroes exists? and the answer is simple in fact it was clearly answered in DC COMICS in Infinate crisis when superman 2 was looking for the perfect "earth" the perfect world and superman tells him......."the perfect earth doesnt need a superman" 
and there in is the answer to the SHRA question. should they have to register with the US gov? well the hereos exisits because the US gov or any GOV for that matter cant handle the threat of super villans. cops military even the persident are all HELPLESS to stop any of these global threats  

just look at dark reign Obama cant even control osborn osborn for all purposes runs the country he controls who hammer goes to war with and all of the us forces add up to nothing compared to hammer. So hammer is the most powerful force of military power in the world and osborn not the persident runs it. 

superheroes in general are a statment that Laws dont work, they dont stop crime they dont bring justice, they dont help anyone. The gov cant control the power they have they are twisted and controlled by evil forces (those with money) 

so Why would the heroes who have saved the gov from self destruction and who fail on all levels eveyday think they should be binded by a system that doesnt work? why should they reg? In fact once again just like we see in DC all the time heroes have to restrain themselves from just overthroughing the whole gov because in the end thats what they all know they should do. 

superheros are above the gov and the laws they rep ideals that cannot be twisted nor compromised and the moment they do take the road like stark did they become tools of the gov which makes them just as useless as the gov itself they submit there will to do what RIGHT and instead allow someone to tell them whats RIGHT. they are no longer heros they become employes
#31 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact still remains according to the people "living" in Marvel's America the common people wanted the SHRA. The only reason Tony sided with it because he didn't want someone outside of the hero community taking up the lead and going after the heroes. Imagine if someone like Osborn was in charge of SHIELD at that time. He would have used all that info for his own personal gain, just like he wanted to do when he took over HAMMER. The SHRA was the will of the people, of course there were its detractors, but overwhelmingly the people supported it as did the law makers. What's the difference between the super powered individual and the gun owner?

Also if the government wanted to force most of those people into service, they could have drafted them.

#32 Posted by Bloodstonefreak (137 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion, the SHRA is like Communism, if it was done correctly it would be the perfect form of government and in this case the perfect way to govern people with super powers.  It's not, though, so it was a good law to pass in theory, it just ended up being poorly executed...  :-)

#33 Posted by Shanana (53530 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the whole Dark Reign Obama thing was just a Satire to say that Obama (The real one) didn't know how to run his administration

#34 Posted by Archetype (731 posts) - - Show Bio
@Divine_Monkey said:
" In real life? I'd be against it.

Now if the Act had been "If you wish to fight crime with the help of superpowers you have to register" that would be a different thing. But it wasn't. "
If I remember correctly they had a way of damping powers they did it to She-Hulk.I don't recall if it worked on mutants though but I don't think they all had to work for the government they just had to register and even the people who did work would finally get paid for it so it isn't/wasn't slavery.As much as I don't like the thought of it I would definitely be pro reg. simply because of the amount of power some characters have...Wanda nearly wiped out an entire species with three words, sorry but that is f'n scary she would need to get her butt registered. 
#35 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (18976 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's look at it bluntly, 3 years later, no one has even mentioned registration, so that should tell you he important registration really was

#36 Edited by Divine_Monkey (28 posts) - - Show Bio
@Archetype said: [...] the people who did work would finally get paid for it so it isn't/wasn't slavery. "

You're right. Slavery was the wrong word. Serfdom is more accurate. Forced service with no right to choose occupation, and no right to choose where to live.

Also, comparing it to gun ownership is simply not accurate. You chose whether or not to own a gun. Like I said earlier, many didn't choose their superpowers. Spider-man got his through an accident. What if he'd rather be a photographer than a government hit man? Should he not have that right?
#37 Posted by Shanana (53530 posts) - - Show Bio

Just because you get paid doesn't mean it's not slavery. It's "Involuntary Servitude" issued by Congress therefore it's slavery

#38 Posted by leokearon (1791 posts) - - Show Bio

I supported the act, the heroes proven they couldn't self govern also what's wrong with training young heroes, most heroes don't want anything to do with them. Similarly the act was for the public not for the heroes, the public had lost trust in heroes and this was designed to fix that.  

Also Pete choose to reveal his identity (with a bit of encourage from Tony) but the act stated that the Heroes identiy's will be known to the governemnt not the general public. 

The biggest problem with Civil War and the Act was that no-one compromised.

#39 Posted by lostlantern13 (856 posts) - - Show Bio

Anti-registration, FTW! 

Honestly, when heroes are under government regulation then that opens the door for corrupt politicians to abuse their power to use the heroes for their own agenda.  However, heroes would never argue that they are above the law. Superhumans should never be tools of the government, but, at the Stamford time, they should've been held responsible for their actions because they are not above anything. It's a Catch-22: How do you keep the system just and right for both sides? There has to be a compromise.

The What If solution was perfect: Put Steve Rogers in charge of the SHRA. Not only did Rogers have the trust of heroes, but he had the trust of the American people. Steve would've been the perfect person to be put in charge of that whole initiative.

#40 Edited by Blindside002 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as people don't like it, the Registration was the right thing to do. There were instances where it was handled poorly, but there isn't much you can do when the Human element is added into things.  

Think of it this way, would you want someone going around in real life trying to take down criminals who was not responsible for their own actions and may not even be properly trained with their equipment and just allow them to get off if something goes wrong because "They were trying to do the right thing"? I personally wouldn't. We have people who are properly trained to deal with those situation and adding this element that you cannot control just makes things dangerous. Who said that these people you are trying to save even want your help? Are you going to save them against their own will? What gives you the rite to do that? 

Not signing up is a very selfish thing to do, because you are willing to put your own life on the line and give up everything to help them, but you aren't willing to sign a piece of paper? If you are willing to save these people and are truly being selfless and aren't trying to do this for some sense of self-satisfation, which if you are then you aren't a hero anyways, then you are really not giving up anymore then those who sign up to be a part of the Special Warfare in any of the services. You aren't a slave, you are a person who has decided to help the people in the way that they wished, not the way in which you want to, and if you don't want to then don't sign up and don't use your powers for vigilantism. 

Yes the Registration was done poorly, but that was because of the strong opposition that cause both sides to do things that were wrong.

#41 Posted by PhantomAres (118 posts) - - Show Bio
@leokearon said:
"Also Pete choose to reveal his identity (with a bit of encourage from Tony) but the act stated that the Heroes identiy's will be known to the governemnt not the general public."
But this is a world with like a billion super hacking computer experts, masters in mystical arts and where, let's face it, half the worlds population are described as 'an Olympic level athlete'. If someone wanted that information they would manage to get it, and lets face it there would have been a lot of people wanting in that category. Look at real life and how bad governments are about letting this kind of info leak, and then add super powers into the mix, you seriously think the information would stay hidden for long? Just look at Stark's current state and you know anyone having that info is just a bad idea. 
#42 Posted by danhimself (22736 posts) - - Show Bio

It was definitely the right thing to do but Tony's execution was wrong

#43 Posted by DarkSyde79 (213 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't believe in the SHRA as I never believed in the MRA. With that said, an organization like SHIELD keeping their eyes on the superhuman community is to be expected. So if you choose to make yourself public to the government, then that is on you. But let it be known that they, if not other super-powered individuals closely associated with them will be keeping tabs on you eventually. 

#44 Posted by Kid_Zombie (822 posts) - - Show Bio

i think it is right. Obviously at the time it was purposed poorly, but its a lot more realistic! If there was this many superheros in the real world this would happen for sure. Plus it led way to some of the best stories! So its sweet for that way also. I think its here to stay and when Steve Rogers takes over sheild (witch i think he will) I think he will run it the proper way it should be.

pro reg all the way! It's just more realistic and understandible.

#45 Posted by TheAntiVillain (74 posts) - - Show Bio

What if Iron Man lost the Civil War? 
read it

#46 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14346 posts) - - Show Bio

wrong i wouldnt of signed it either, forcing people to sign who have put there ass on the line without being asked to sign a legal document that basicly makes them/there familys easier targets is stupid.

#47 Posted by THEBlaqueBasterd (383 posts) - - Show Bio
@darkrider: In the real world.. surely your not serious??? In the "REAL" world itd be the worst possible scenario ever& superheroes would start droppin like flies once a dossier containin all the files "ended up on the internet"
#48 Edited by THEBlaqueBasterd (383 posts) - - Show Bio
@speedlgt: woa... deep
#49 Posted by thatlad (587 posts) - - Show Bio

Like a lot of laws it was poorly executed in response to media & political pressure. Being such a knee-jerk reaction it didn't have time to be properly debated along the line of the rights of the superhero. 

I liked the idea of What if iron man lost, Cap being trusted with the identities would be good in principle but what happens if Cap died? (again!!!) Who takes over then?  

Even though am not happy Marvel's basically binned the SHRA meaning all that aggro was for nothing, I am happy they've kept certain items that made sense such as the Avenger's academy.

#50 Posted by Archetype (731 posts) - - Show Bio
@Divine_Monkey: you seem to have skipped over the part where I said they had a way to take away powers, or at least I recall something of that nature perhaps someone with a better memory could enlighten us on that subject.My point is they have a choice be trained and work for the government as a licensed superhero, or choose to not have your powers and live a normal life.In fact I don't think they even had to work for the government when they registered unless they wanted to be a superhero, they could just register and live normally with their powers.Basically it isn't black and white they had options all of which were meant to keep the public safe and to bring a structure to the wanton nature of superheroes and vigilantes.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.