Follow

Super-Adaptoid

Character » Super-Adaptoid appears in 202 issues.

An artificial being created by the terrorist group A.I.M. for their plans to assassinate Captain America, it holds a fragment of the Cosmic Cube that serves as its limitless power source, and can copy the powers of any being it wants.

Super-Adaptoid a TOTAL ripoff of Amazo.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEGRAAF

AMAZO

First Appearance- 
      The Brave and The Bold #30 -(1960)
    Absorption cells -  He has the ability to replicate other abilities of super heroes or villains in his vicinity.
    Power Amplification - He can amplify the powers that he absorbs     

SUPER-ADAPTOID

First Appearance-
      Tales Of Suspense #84 -(1966)
    The Super-Adaptoid can absorb the powers of other super beings and the artifacts they posses at the moment that he come in contact with them.     

People argue about different character from the big two being rip off's of each other but these two just seem to stand out the most to me. I always loved the silver version of Amazo (shown above), I think he is a great character that could be a great hero or villain (in the animated show he was both) Now i dont really feel like complaining about it, i was just wanted to talk about it a little with a simple question at the end. Both companies (Marvel and DC) have shown characters that seem to be replicas of the others characters. 

Superman - Sentry, Gladiator 
    Wonder Woman - Ms. Marvel 
    Flash - Quicksilver 
    Green Arrow - Hawkeye 
    Red Tornado - Vision 

thats just to name a few. Are there any original Characters as of late? 
     Alot of people compare batman to Captain America, Iron man, and Wolverine but i think all these people are original (as far as i know)
    karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By karrob
    @DEGRAAF said:
    "
    AMAZO

First Appearance- 
      The Brave and The Bold #30 -(1960)
    Absorption cells -  He has the ability to replicate other abilities of super heroes or villains in his vicinity.
    Power Amplification - He can amplify the powers that he absorbs     

SUPER-ADAPTOID

First Appearance-
      Tales Of Suspense #84 -(1966)The Super-Adaptoid can absorb the powers of other super beings and the artifacts they posses at the moment that he come in contact with them.      People argue about different character from the big two being rip off's of each other but these two just seem to stand out the most to me. I always loved the silver version of Amazo (shown above), I think he is a great character that could be a great hero or villain (in the animated show he was both) Now i dont really feel like complaining about it, i was just wanted to talk about it a little with a simple question at the end. Both companies (Marvel and DC) have shown characters that seem to be replicas of the others characters.  Superman - Sentry, Gladiator Wonder Woman - Ms. Marvel Flash - Quicksilver Green Arrow - Hawkeye Red Tornado - Vision  thats just to name a few. Are there any original Characters as of late?  Alot of people compare batman to Captain America, Iron man, and Wolverine but i think all these people are original (as far as i know) "

I agree!
    Avatar image for unknown_soldier
    Unknown Soldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Unknown Soldier

even though he was a copy he still is pretty cool

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By MrMiracle77

You can throw Super Skrull in that same category as well.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I hate all characters like that. It's just a cheap story-writing tactic; and it's never enjoyable to read.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LordRequiem

They do seem very similar. As for Superman his direct copy is Hyperion, without question. Green Arrow and Hawkeye bore me so, but yes very much the same, different backgrounds but that's little excuse. I can't see Wonder woman and Carol Danvers being the same, their powers aren't, but as for being women consistently on the flagshop teams of both Marvel and DC, on that I can agree. As for Red Tornado and Vision, lol, once again they are both robots on big teams, but so long as their powers vary I have no foible with them. I think flying and super strength are becoming compulsory for many characters nowadays, which doesn't bother me, otherwise how could they throw down with all the other super-powered villain folk?!

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By Zeeguy91

Marvel has been ripping off DC for decades and then cashing in by saying that their characters "are more human", as if. Fantastic Four/Challengers of the Unknown, X-Men/Doom Patrol, Thunderbolts/Suicide Squad, Deadpool/Deathstroke, Thanos/Darkseid, Nova Corps/Green Lantern Corps, Hawkeye/Green Arrow, Moon Knight/Batman, even Magneto/Dr. Polaris... The list goes on and on and this Super Adaptoid/Amazo comparison is just added to it. It seems as if Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Black Panther, and the Avengers are the only original characters in Marvel. I know that there some of those are wildly different when it comes to personality, but MO and basic character for a lot are the same, especially in the Thanos/Darkseid comparison. Its REALLY annoying, because people like us know that Marvel rips off a LOT from DC, but then Marvel fanboys spew some garbage about how Marvel is so much better and you can't argue with them, because they think that DC ripped Marvel off, when its the exact opposite.

I know I sound like I hate Marvel, but I don't, not when its original. Spider-Man and Iron Man are two of my favorite characters. I just can't stand the Marvel business method, bashing DC whenever they can, while at the same time ripping off their characters.

Rell127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rell127

@Zeeguy91: So I guess Aqua-man came before Namor right? I also Guess Steel doesn't Copy Iron Man. Also Deadpool copy isn't a copy of Deathstroke he's a Parody. Speaking of Deathstroke isn't he a copy of Task Master? Swamp Thing is a Copy of Man Thing. DC copies just a much the reason why people don't say anything because people only know a few of their characters. More examples Check Mate S.H.I.E.L.D. Hell if you want young Justice last week there was a very spiderman like character even down to the costume. Thanos isn't a copy of Darkside he's a homage character. Ultimate Thanos is more like Darkside. Also remember both companies copy each all the time they both have a fierce revivalism. They always take shots of one another all the time.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By joshmightbe

Did anyone not know this? @Rell127: Namor came before Aquaman, ManThing and Swamp thing are both rip offs of an earlier character called the Heap,

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By SupremeHyperion

It does go both ways and it happens throughout any entertainment medium. movies,music,video games, and ya comics especially.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Irony: They copied a character who's ability is to copy other characters. You're welcome :D

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By joshmightbe

here are some others, Guardian is a rip off of Captain America, 11,000 characters are Superman rip offs, and the X-men are a Doom Patrol knock off

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I've moved beyond this type of thing. It has been happening for some time now and it will continue to happen.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zeeguy91

@Rell127: Well, first off you have some fallacies in your argument there. First off, Aquaman may have come after Namor, but 1) its not as if having another underwater character makes him an automatic rip off and 2) Namor still somewhat copied Aquaman because Aquaman was depicted as the king of DC's Atlantis long before Namor was shown to have any connection to Marvel's Atlantis. Second off, Deathstroke is not a copy of Taskmaster. Those two are nothing alike, not in their origins, not in their motives, not their abilities, not in anything. Deathstroke gained his abilities from a military experiment. Taskmaster was born with his. Not to mention that they don't even have the same abilities. Deathstroke is a villain because of a traumatic experience that transpired with his family where his son was killed in front of his eyes and his wife tried to kill him cuz she blamed him. Taskmaster became a criminal because he saw it as more "lucrative", which is kind of a lame motivation to be a villain. The only similarity between them is the color scheme of their original costumes. If that's the criteria you're going on to determine whether one is a copy of the other than you should rethink that. The same with Steel and Iron Man. Steel is a working man who wanted to honor Superman after his death, hence the 'S' embedded in his chest. He's an homage to Superman, the Man of Steel, more so than Iron Man. Iron Man is a rich playboy who built a suit of armor to escape captivity, to save his own life, not honor somebody else's. And lastly, its Darkseid, not Darkside.

But you do have a point. Bumblebee, Swamp Thing, and Killer Croc do appear to be homages to Wasp, Man Thing, and the Lizard respectively, but the thing is that I see Marvel copy DC more than I see DC copy Marvel. I mean, a lot of it is unintentional, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. And Marvel is more overt in the way they copy DC, right down to the basic nature of some of their characters. Look at Super-Adaptoid and Amazo. They're both androids that operate by nanotechnology.

However, sometimes Marvel is able to take the characters that essentially started out as rip offs and take them in a different direction. For example, the X-Men, who started out as a rip off of the Doom Patrol, were taken in a dramatically different direction in the 1970s. The '70s era made them look like advocates for mutant-kind rather than just outcast heroes like the Doom Patrol. Len Wein took the fact that they were all mutants and made it less about isolating them from the Marvel Universe and more into a unifying factor among themselves, something that couldn't be done in the Doom Patrol because they all had different origins and reasons for the development of their powers.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By X35

Who cares.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By joshmightbe

@Zeeguy91: Swamp Thing and Man Thing are both rip offs of the same guy but it doesn't matter because actually true original ideas are practically non existent any more so what it is isn't as important as what you do with it

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kidchipotle
    No Caption Provided
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By PowerHerc

Sure he is, though he's just one of the multitudes of rip-off characters out there.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Onemoreposter

@Rell127: Well I'd say Iron Man is a rip off of the original Metallo. However everyone rips off everyone in a never ending cycle. As long as the writers keep origins, personalities, and storylines fresh it really doesn't bother me in the least.

Oh, and X-Men aren't a Doom Patrol rip off. I'm 99% sure that the two teams debuted at the exact same time, down to the day.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By joshmightbe

@BlueLantern1995: Amazo was 1960, Super Adaptoid was 1966

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By joshmightbe

@BlueLantern1995: What bugs me is how many people think Namor is an Aquaman rip off despite Namor coming out like a decade before him

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#22  Edited By MTHarman

Sweet Mary Mother of God..... Now what am I supposed to do knowing that Super Adaptoid is a TOTAL rip-off.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By joshmightbe

@MTHarman: The same thing you do with the knowledge that Gladiator is a Superman rip-off, or that Lobo was originally a Wolverine parody

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MTHarman

@joshmightbe said:

@MTHarman: The same thing you do with the knowledge that Gladiator is a Superman rip-off, or that Lobo was originally a Wolverine parody

Try to start another rebellion against Marvel?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By joshmightbe

@MTHarman: If you do that they'll just punish us by giving Bendis another character to screw up, my bet Ghost Rider starts thinking he's 4 other ghosts, Slimer, Casper, Jacob Marley and an ancient Japanese rape ghost

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MTHarman

Yeah,... they may think twice about using the Bendis bomb when all it takes is another Fredric Wertham.

Rell127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rell127

@Onemoreposter:

X-men came out a a few years later. The main difference between the 2 is X-men wanted to be accepted while Doom Patrol wanted to show they are heroes.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Onemoreposter

@Rell127: I'm positive they were released the same year. Not sure about the same month but I think so.

Rell127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rell127

@Onemoreposter:

Your right only a 2 month difference

Rell127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rell127

@Zeeguy91: Ok I see where your coming from I have to disagree with alot of it. DC copies just as much anyone can tell you this. I can name like 100 characters DC that rip off Marvel and Vice versa. Also can can you not see Aqu-man is is a ripp off of Namor. I mean they both live in Atlantis and are kings, they both are half human, they both talk to fish even tho Aquman is better at it. Namor always had a connection to Atlantis. Steel is a ripp off of Iron Man. The only difference is they gave him a Hammer and made him black and took away a cocky, playboy attitude. I like the Sentry but yea the Sentry is a Copy of Supes just not a alien and he's crazy. Vision acts more like Martian Manhunter. Yet Batman may have come out way before Black Panther. Tho Black Panther was the first to do it all people kept saying it's batman know it was the Black Panther. All Companies copy each other How many spiderman like characters are there?

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zeeguy91

@joshmightbe: Ok, not necessarily a decade. More like 2 years.

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By Night Thrasher

Does it matter? How many DC fans love Batman? Is he a ripoff of Zorro, Spirit, Doc Savage? Superman? Is he a ripoff of Hercules? Is Steel a ripoff of Iron Man? Almost every character of any company is inspired by something that came before. EVEN SUPERMANIS NOT AN ENTIRELY ORIGINAL IDEA. Things came before other things. It's like saying the new Lamborghini is a ripoff of the Benz Patent Motorwagen. Sometimes writers get an idea "hey, wouldn't it be cool if I could use character A in universe B?". Things happen, get over it.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By joshmightbe

@Zeeguy91: I was exaggerating for effect

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zeeguy91

@Rell127: Ok, I didn't understand a lot of that. I'm going to respond to what I did understand.

Yes Namor was connected to an underwater kingdom, but Aquaman was the first to identify the underwater kingdom he belonged to as Atlantis. And plus you can't deny that Aquaman's Atlantis is more developed than Namor's Atlantis. I mean, I can't even name three other characters from Atlantis in the Marvel U (Namora and Dorma are the only ones I can think of), while I can shoot off maybe five from the top of my head for DC's Atlantis (Mera, Orm, Garth, Dolphin, Tula).

Steel is not a rip off of Iron Man for the exact reasons you said. Just because he wears a metal suit does not make him a rip-off. He has a completely different personality, surrounding environment, backstory, and motivation for being a hero. A character's power-set or means to power isn't as important as their background and personality. Steel is more based on John Henry (as in the old folk tale), given that his name is John Henry Irons, and Superman than he is based on Iron Man.

And lastly, what the hell are you talking about between Batman and Black Panther? What did Black Panther do before Batman? I don't understand what you're talking about.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zeeguy91

@joshmightbe: Ah, got it. Well, I guess its just because Aquaman is more popular and well known than Namor is. Even though people joke about Aquaman, saying that he's lame, he's still more of a pop-culture icon than Namor because he's gotten way more exposure in other forms of media outside of the comics.

Rell127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rell127

@Zeeguy91: If Marvel does a movie with him People will say Aqua who?

ThanoStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ThanoStomp

I happen to like many of the copies better than the originals BECAUSE of the subtle differences. If I don't, I don't have to read it.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Rumble Man

@joshmightbe:

• Gladiator may be inspired from the superman pilot but he was the first to display the powerset
    • Namor was indeed the first flying, invulnerable, speedy and strong dude on comics
    • But before that there was hanuman and gatotkaca (which existed far as to Ramayana and Mahabrata)
    blackadamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By blackadamFTW

@Rell127 said:

@Zeeguy91: So I guess Aqua-man came before Namor right? I also Guess Steel doesn't Copy Iron Man. Also Deadpool copy isn't a copy of Deathstroke he's a Parody. Speaking of Deathstroke isn't he a copy of Task Master? Swamp Thing is a Copy of Man Thing. DC copies just a much the reason why people don't say anything because people only know a few of their characters. More examples Check Mate S.H.I.E.L.D. Hell if you want young Justice last week there was a very spiderman like character even down to the costume. Thanos isn't a copy of Darkside he's a homage character. Ultimate Thanos is more like Darkside. Also remember both companies copy each all the time they both have a fierce revivalism. They always take shots of one another all the time.

No.

@BlueLantern1995 said:

When did Amazo come out? Super-Adapatoid was in the 60's. If amazo is earlier than you are right but until I find the dates for each. I remain skeptical.

Super-Adaptoid came out 6 years after Amazo.

@Onemoreposter said:

@Rell127: Well I'd say Iron Man is a rip off of the original Metallo. However everyone rips off everyone in a never ending cycle. As long as the writers keep origins, personalities, and storylines fresh it really doesn't bother me in the least.

Oh, and X-Men aren't a Doom Patrol rip off. I'm 99% sure that the two teams debuted at the exact same time, down to the day.

Doom Patrol came out two or three months before X-men.

Regarding the OP, to be fair, every comic book company rip offs another.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zeeguy91

@Rell127: Wait. Are you saying that if Marvel did a movie with Namor, people would think its Aquaman or are you saying that if DC did a movie with Aquaman, people wouldn't know who he is?

Cuz, if you're saying the latter, then I can definitely tell you that its not true. People know who Aquaman is. He's gotten so much exposure outside of the comics. He was on Super Friends, his own animated series in the '70s, the Justice League (Unlimited) series, Smallville, and is currently on Young Justice. So...its a safe bet that most people know who Aquaman is.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Onemoreposter

@blackadamFTW: If you would've read the thread, you would have seen my discrepansy over the few months Doom Patrol predates the X-Men was already addressed.

blackadamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By blackadamFTW

@Onemoreposter said:

@blackadamFTW: If you would've read the thread, you would have seen my discrepansy over the few months Doom Patrol predates the X-Men was already addressed.

No need to get your panties in a bunch, guy.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Onemoreposter

@blackadamFTW: My bad, was wearing a thong and that things just loves to wad up.

Rell127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rell127

@Zeeguy91: No people people know Aquman they don't know Namor.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.