Follow

Sunspot

Character » Sunspot appears in 2940 issues.

Roberto Da Costa is a mutant with the ability to harness the sun's power, which grants him superhuman strength, speed, and durability. Born in Brazil, Roberto comes from a wealthy family and has been described as brash and quick tempered. Initially a member of the New Mutants, Roberto has since developed a long history with various teams affiliated with both the X-Men and the Avengers.

Is Sunspot Black?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

I always thought Sunspot was Mexican or a pacific lander or something, but now I'm not sure. What is he?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well he's Brazilian...so really he could be anything, right?

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@teerack said:

I always thought Sunspot was Mexican or a pacific lander or something, but now I'm not sure. What is he?

He's Brazilian, beyond that....I have no clue.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@teerack said:

Oh okay that would make sense with his skin tone.

I saw this and got confused :P

No Caption Provided

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the New Mutants, he was always drawn as black (at least, that's how I saw him) although it could be fair to have him identified as an especially darker shade of olive-skin? His character reminds me of Monet in some ways -- some artists draw them darker skinned, other artists hardly at all. I see him in the way I was first introduced to him which would be black due to the heavy African presence in Brazil due to the country's history.

Probably why the most beautiful people in the world come from that country. :)

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is Afro-Brazillian to be specific. But his mom seems to be caucasian brazillian. So maybe he is mixed.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

He is Afro-Brazillian to be specific. But his mom seems to be caucasian brazillian. So maybe he is mixed.

I agree. He seems to have African ancestry. So, I guess he could be labeled "Black".

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

He's technically a Latino but that covers a lot of ground.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By cameron83

He's afro-brazillian.

IanAubrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By IanAubrey

@ultimatekey said:

I agree. He seems to have African ancestry. So, I guess he could be labeled "Black".

nvr knew he n i had a lot in common... But i guess he's not just black i mean im almost exactly like him by ethnicity where im from and though by category im referred to as simply one race from my dad's side accurately im not, so the best term would be something like Afro-Caucasian-Brazilian (???) or Afro-Portuguese Brazilian instead of just black...

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@teerack said:

@veshark said:

@thegreyoutcastx said:

@teerack said:

No Caption Provided

Are Aborigines considered black?

IanAubrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By IanAubrey

@jonny_anonymous: Aboriginees of Africa are Black its their origins, they are the aboriginees there...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ianaubrey: I'm not talking about Africans, the above picture is of Eden Fesi an Aboriginal Australian.

IanAubrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By IanAubrey

@jonny_anonymous... oh yeah, just like how in the United States u refer to African Americans as Blacks, the Australians refer to the Aboriginees as Blacks ... so yea theyr called Blacks in Australia...

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Teerack

@teerack said:

@veshark said:

@thegreyoutcastx said:

@teerack said:

No Caption Provided

Some of them. I know there are aborigines in south america and north asia, but there are a lot in africa, and those are also the oldest known ones.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

@teerack said:

@veshark said:

@thegreyoutcastx said:

@teerack said:

No Caption Provided

Some of them. I know there are aborigines in south america and north asia, but there are a lot in africa, and those are also the oldest known ones.

Well I specifically meant Australian as that's a picture of Eden Fesi

IanAubrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: yeah, the aboriginees of africa have been referred to as Blacks since the Europeans settled, they call them Black in Australia just like how African Americans are referred to as Blacks in the US..

Commando44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is Afro-Brazilian, which means he is of African descent. Brazil was one of the largest countries using African slaves and were one of the last nations to abolish slavery. Sunspot is black.... too bad he is white washed in the new Xmen movie.

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@commando44: Yeah kind of like how Blink is supposed to be from the Bahamas but in the movie, she will be portrayed by a Japanese actor. I have no problem with but I thought Blink would be Caribbean or black. And at least Sunspot is played by a mexican actor. ISo he is not all the way white-washed but he can still pull of that Brazilian look.

Commando44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatekey: I don't mind when they change the ethnicity of a character but sometimes the change does not make sense. I just read about the Fantastic Four reboot and there is a black Johnny Storm..... I'm not an FF fan but I would have like to see the characters stay true to comics. Director Fury as a black guy was OK because they introduced it in comics. Having a black Johnny and a White Sue is just too much of a distraction. Hollywood. (Shaking my head)

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By hyperman
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Well, he looks like the average latin man, dark skin, Brown black hair, and Brown eyes. in comics , sometimes is difficult to notice the differences among the ethinicties due to the colurs the penciles uso for painting and staff like that. for instance , in some comic books catwoman looks afro-american, zatanna looks asian, even vixen has looked caucasian. So i don't think he's black, but he does have dark or tanned skin.

darkblu80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By darkblu80

Yes, he's Afro-Brazilian. Check out his origin story. They continue to make him lighter and lighter over the years.

He was first developed as a dark skin Afro- Brazilian to point out the problem that dark skin or Afro-Latinos face throughout Latino America.

No Caption Provided
    mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@hyperman: His father is black. sunspot is not tanned racist. Dark skinned Latinos are black no matter how hard people try to change it, facts are facts

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@mrkareemruiz: i am not racist, i just describe. My reality, i live in chile, in south america. We are not white people at all, and we are not black either, we have brown skin, daltonic moron

Maicol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As @mrkareemruiz said we Latinos, we are not Black, White or Native Americans, what we are is a hybrid of all 3, and some Asian, we are a mixed culture. The terms Afro started as a movement in the USA that has been taken back by some people who have return home and some gravitate to it, but in general we do not say you are Afro-Brazilian, you are white Brazilian, we say you are Brazilian. Similar to Chile and my country the DR, we do not distinguish by color we just all the same, Chileans are Chilean, and Dominicans are just that Dominicans. Unfortunately Marvel has always drawn Latinos as Blacks and give them Black characteristics. Example the new Power Man is Dominican (not sure if from the Dominican Republic or Dominica, but with Alvarez I will say DR), he does not act or behave in any sense, form or manner as a Latino or a Dominican from the DR. So when I first saw the character to me he was a Luke Cage clone, a black man who started with an attitude. When I found out he was Latino there was nothing to identify him as Latino so I cannot relate to the character. At least Sunspot spoke Spanish (which is also wrong he should speak Portuguese or Brazilian when saying something under his breath or to himself but he can also know Spanish, but it would not be his default language).

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

@teerack: He is brazilian. And he usually is more tanned than most characthers

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
    linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what is he exactly? Superman lite?

QuireGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hes being picked on for being blackin his first appearance right?

Stefano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It all depends on his ancestry. For example, I’m Brazilian with European ancestors, thus I’m white/caucasian.

If Sunspot’s father is a Brazilian descendant from Africa and his mother a Brazilian descendant from Europe, then he will be a mixed race Brazilian.

Jeremy61378952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jeremy61378952

I think what most people are overlooking is, how he was used in the comics, in the early days. Not only did he look like a black guy, he was also targeted by a racist that hated black people. That sort of settles which race he should be seen as.

Sure he has Euro- Brazilian heritage as well, but it's just like Half black/half white people in the States. It all depends on which race they choose to identify as, and which race they resemble the most. Some just say that they're mixed and leave it at that.

But Marvel went out of their way, to present him as being a victim of racial prejudice, because he was black. So there you go.

Avatar image for savesyourday420
    SavesYourDay420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes he gets attacked for being black in Marvel's Graphic Novel 4 i think

Al-Said

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, he's Afro-Brazilian. Check out his origin story. They continue to make him lighter and lighter over the years.

He was first developed as a dark skin Afro- Brazilian to point out the problem that dark skin or Afro-Latinos face throughout Latino America.

No Caption Provided

This.

The introduction of his character stated he was an Afro Latino. So yes. He's Black. People get Nationality, Race & Ethnicity confused.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.