can sunspot give u cancer

#1 Posted by chaos-soul (1435 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

do you mean does he have the ability to give other beings cancer? Like skin cancer o.O? 
Or by being by him can you contract this disease....

#3 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@chaos-soul: He can emit light, so... it's possible...
#4 Posted by JediXMan (27954 posts) - - Show Bio

Sunspot absorbs light. I don't think he emits it.

#5 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
He does now...  I didn't read the story arc where it happened, but apparently someone experimented with overloading him with solar energy...

He can now emit light and/or heat
#6 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Havoc can give you cancers.

He's baws like that.

#7 Posted by JediXMan (27954 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm said:
@JediXMan said:
He does now...  I didn't read the story arc where it happened, but apparently someone experimented with overloading him with solar energy...  He can now emit light and/or heat
Hm. When did this happen?
#8 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan: Some time in the nineties I think....
#9 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio
Bobby's Blasting Power

@Timandm said:

@JediXMan said:
He does now... I didn't read the story arc where it happened, but apparently someone experimented with overloading him with solar energy... He can now emit light and/or heat

Oooooh that's a long time ago! Very early X-Force era! When Gideon discovered that Cannonball was the External & that he'd been wasting his time on Sunspot, he handed Sunspot over to his labs. They experimented on him, forcing his body to absorb more solar rays that it was used to. This pushed his powers to the point that he developed the ability to shoot solar rays...

But the ability to shoot a solar flare isn't the same as shining a light. He wouldn't even be a threat to a vampire, let alone give someone skin cancer. The crackling black effect that covers his body doesn't shine any light on the area around him.

His power is to absorb sunlight, not radiate it. He's not Firestar ;)

But for the record, his powers have been pretty inconsistent over the last few years. Fraction wrote him fying around San Francisco, while Wells refused to let Sunspot be anything other than super strong.

#10 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
Bobby's Blasting Power

But for the record, his powers have been pretty inconsistent over the last few years. Fraction wrote him fying around San Francisco, while Wells refused to let Sunspot be anything other than super strong.

Which i really didn't care for to be honest. I liked the whole concept of Sunspot being able to fly, shoot blasts, be super strong and take on another form...but having to think to himself "I need to keep on eye on those guys with the crowbars because they can break my beck". 
Thats what made him interesting. He had a number of powers and was one of the few Marvel powerhouses that needed to be even more aware of his surroundings because he barley had any added durability. Just enough to allow his body to hold the weights he picked up I believe. 
Not quite sure what the reason was for taking away his abilities.  

P.S Glad to see you back madam =)
#11 Posted by chaos-soul (1435 posts) - - Show Bio

so its possible for someone to get cancer by being near him?

#12 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@chaos-soul said:
I do not believe so...hes been around and using his powers on teams for a WHILE now with no adverse effects on his teammates. 
#13 Posted by chaos-soul (1435 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kallarkz: ok thanks
#14 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: @xerox-kitty: Sam's an external?!  Does this mean he's immortal?
#15 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@chaos-soul said:
Well...  I can't help but wonder what it really means for Sunspot to emit a Solar Flare...  I know what a Solar Flare is with regard to stars, but what does it mean with regards to Bobby...  A solar flare from the sun is a s sudden intense release of energy from the sun.  Basically magnetic energy surrounding a star builds up to a point but then HAS to release that energy...  When it the magnetic field sort of collapses, the energy is released in various ways; electrons, ions (plasma), and radiation...  Now, the radiation that is released isn't just one specific type or wavelength.  You're probably aware that radiation has a huge spectrum from gamma (high frequency) down to radio frequency....  

Now, you're asking if Sunspot could give someone skin cancer...  Skin cancer can be caused by exposure to Ultra Violet light.  A solar flare from a star definitely releases Ultra Violet light....   So, IF Bobby releases an actual solar flare, then theoretically I suppose he could give someone skin cancer, but it would have to be either very high energy or a long time of exposure....   I would think that if it was that high in energy it would just burn a persons skin long before he ever got skin cancer...   So, IF Bobby were able to give someone it would HAVE to be due to very long time exposure to his solar flares... But again, this just doesn't seem likely...  Consider the percentage of people who develop skin cancer from tanning beds.  Yes, it's much higher in incidence compared to people who do not use tanning beds, but it's still relatively low....  And I doubt anyone would  stand next to Bobby for 15 to 30 minutes a few times a month... 

So, theoretically I would say it is "possible", but VERY unlikely...

Wow, that was long winded wasn't it???  Sorry... 
#16 Posted by chaos-soul (1435 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm: thanks now i understand completely

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.