Suicide Squad Movie In The Works

Posted by G-Man (29478 posts) - - Show Bio
In a bold move on Warner Bros.' part, Suicide Squad is going to be adapted into a movie.  The idea is to make a new franchise out of this.  Suicide Squad deals with incarcerated super-villains set on black-op suicide missions by the government.

Who will be in it?  Will it be true to the comic?  Variety reports:
"Suicide Squad" will feature a mix of well-known and unknown villains recruited by the government to accomplish a task deemed too dangerous for superheroes. The historically independent operators must bury their own interpersonal conflicts and agendas to form a cohesive unit to take on a singular task.

Let's hope they put some actually A-list villains and not some lame ones that no one will care about.  What is 'bold' about this is, it's not quite a marketable movie.  Warner Bros. won't be able to make a line of toys, bedsheets and birthday party plates and napkins based off of this.  It's great that they're actually giving us and movie-goers credit for being intelligent enough to handle and accept something that is different than the norm.

No word on a release or start date.  Justin Marks ("20,000 Leagues Under The Sea," "Hack/Slash," "Street Fighter") will be writing it.  Fingers crossed...
Staff
#1 Posted by Red L.A.M.P. (2828 posts) - - Show Bio

I have the 1st issue in my collection.  Always thoguht it was a cool cover.
Staff
#2 Posted by Owen_Porter (83295 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, no one cares about this? Deadshot and Bronze Tiger on the big screen? This is badass.

#3 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha ha!  I take back what I was saying yesterday on the Joss Wedon thread... they're actually making something without any of the GLA big-hitters!  I'm looking forward to this! :)

#4 Posted by Nighthunter (28561 posts) - - Show Bio

I just love the team

#5 Posted by TwilightThunder (246 posts) - - Show Bio

F**CK YEAH! SUICIDE SQUAD FTW!

#6 Posted by Risky (12616 posts) - - Show Bio

Who do you want to see in the movies people? I say Bronze Tiger, Deadshot and most of all Bane are a must for me.

#7 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

Could be quite good or a major disaster.  Let's hope it's not the latter.  Quite a gamble to take on this comic for a movie.  Capt. Boomerang, though?  Errr.....

#8 Posted by G-Man (29478 posts) - - Show Bio

They just better get some actual villains and not make up some lame ones because of some silly copyright/legal problem.  Otherwise, what'd be the point?

Staff
#9 Posted by Meanstreak (415 posts) - - Show Bio

Michael Jai White as Bronze Tiger would be bad azz.

#10 Posted by #1ElderScrollsFan (1991 posts) - - Show Bio

Could be a great movie if done right

#11 Posted by Precise (22883 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"Justin Marks ("Street Fighter") will be writing it.  Fingers crossed... "
hm.. Fingers crossed indeed.
#12 Posted by Nighthunter (28561 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know about other members but Deadshot, Bronze Tiger, Rick Flag and Amanda Waller are must have

#13 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

yup

#14 Posted by Detective (524 posts) - - Show Bio

i would definitely check this movie, but i wouldnt think Suicide Squad would be a group that would actually get a movie

#15 Edited by Legacy_ (10169 posts) - - Show Bio

Does this team have any current appearances or ongoing and even recommendations because I would like to read up on this team.

#16 Posted by King Saturn (222845 posts) - - Show Bio
Holy Crap  ! 

I can dig this
#17 Posted by Chaos Agent (2150 posts) - - Show Bio
Closure said:
"Does this team have any current appearances or ongoing and even recommendations because I would like to read up on this team."
they had a miniseries called "Suicide Squad: from the ashes" like a year ago, it was written by the creator and original series writer
#18 Posted by Legacy_ (10169 posts) - - Show Bio
Chaos Agent said:
"Closure said:
"Does this team have any current appearances or ongoing and even recommendations because I would like to read up on this team."
they had a miniseries called "Suicide Squad: from the ashes" like a year ago, it was written by the creator and original series writer
"
Tanks, I'll check it out (My local comic store hardly sells DC titles)
#19 Posted by Chaos Agent (2150 posts) - - Show Bio

then your local comic store sucks :P

#20 Posted by TheBug (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

I approve.

#21 Posted by Portrait (4481 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome! I really hope they follow through with this.

#22 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

The original Squad is who I want to see.

The biggest legal issue I see is the chance that somebody already has the rights to Deadshot as a Batman villain.  He was in that animated Dark Knight thing awhile back.

#23 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

Just as long as they portray Digger and the others right.

and get good actors for all of them..

#24 Posted by Clutch (2835 posts) - - Show Bio

Yesss.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.