Interbreeding

#1 Posted by Byzantine (357 posts) - - Show Bio

According to "Avengers Annual" #20, the Subterraneans were were once stronger and more intelligent. "Interbreeding over the millennia caused them to decline in intelligence and strength. Ultimately, most of them lose even the ability to speak".

Interbreed means "To breed by crossing different stocks of animals or plants". In other words to mix breeds. In humans it is a synonym of exogamy: 1) "the mating of non-related beings", 2) "marrying outside the specific group where one originates". 

By Implication, the Subterraneans suffer because of mating with individuals outside their own race. Any idea with whom did these sub-species of humanity mate? This isn't addressed in the issue.

#2 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3762 posts) - - Show Bio

Lions? Or humans, maybe. Or mutants. Or dinosaurs!

#3 Posted by jloneblackheart (5520 posts) - - Show Bio

I bet it's just a typo / misused word. I bet what they meant was incestuous breeding.

#4 Posted by Despair (2200 posts) - - Show Bio
@jloneblackheart said:
I bet it's just a typo / misused word. I bet what they meant was incestuous breeding.
I agree. They probably wanted to say "Inbreeding" and were not allowed to use that word.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.