Follow

Stormwatch

Team » Stormwatch appears in 310 issues.

Wildstorm Universe's Stormwatch was a United Nations-sponsored superhero organization controlled by the Weatherman. The New 52 DC Universe's Stormwatch is an ancient clandestine society that has been defending the Earth from the otherworldly threats for centuries.

Are Apollo and Midnighter good role models?

BOPFAN#3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By BOPFAN#3

With the New 52 relaunch I started picking up Stormwatch just because I was told they had good representations of LGBT people. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Apollo and Midnighter are two masculine and intelligent men who happen to be gay. Because we’re only a few issues in I’m not sure where DC is going to take the characters relationship, but I’m interested to see it develop. Do you think Apollo and Midnighter are good representatives of LGBT people?

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By TheOptimist

I'm not sure where exactly they'll take the relationship either, now that Cornell is off the book. I'm interested to keep reading and I'm hopeful that their dynamic will continue.

It is rather nice to have diversity among the portrayals of LGBTs... not cramming them into one stereotypical depiction. I don't know many gay men that are anything at all like Midnighter (I know one that is a tad like Apollo, but not a perfect fit) but I also don't know any straight men that are like Batman. So in most respects, I find them to be reasonable depictions...

In terms of being 'good representatives'... I guess the question is representative of what. The gay men that I've talked to that have read it are pleased with the depiction, despite it not being a replica of their lives... Midnighter particularly though is not all that "good" of a representative of even a hero... and that is what makes him interesting. While in fictional world it is easy for me to read someone condoning the murder of pedophiles, in the real world I find difficulty condoning murder of any kind, and thus don't see him as so much of a "role model".

The way that he is a good role model, however, is for young gay men who are afraid to be strong, opinionated and confrontational, even though it may be their nature to be that way. His confidence, fearlessness at being who he is (or of being outed) is commendable, and symbolically he represents a new generation of young gay men that are exhausted of their portrayal as sissies, crazies or less than human members of society. In some respects, he parallels the character of Rage, a comic book character designed and depicting on the tv show Queer as Folk.

In summation... I'm not precisely sure where my answer stands. He isn't the greatest role model... at least not for me (but maybe for young gay men, he might be)... I applaud his inclusion in the DC universe... and I greatly enjoy him as a character.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Midnighter is hella cool but I don't know if he's a great role model as he kicks peoples heads off and such

BOPFAN#3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BOPFAN#3

@TheOptimist:

I meant are they good representatives of LGBT people. Do they show LGBT people the way they truly are? Midnighter doesn’t apologize for who he is, he does what he thinks is right and doesn’t think twice about it. He also doesn’t live up to any stereotypes, he’s his own man. As far as hero…..he’s not really a hero, anti-hero sure, but not a hero lol. I also LOVE Apollo, he represents every LGBT kid at some point in their life. He’s unsure of himself, not quite sure who he is or what he wants, but I think with his mentor Midnighter he’ll find his way. Honestly these are some of the most positive portrayals of LGBT characters I’ve ever seen in comics.

Do you support anti-heroes or do you think we should stick with only heroes? To be completely honest I think sometimes people do need to be killed, I support the death penalty, although I don’t really think Midnighter has the same rights a court has when it comes to carrying out the death penalty.

The mention of Rage made me realize how much I miss Queer As Folk….

L@spiderbat87: Midnighter is deffs hella cool haha

Maki_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Maki_P

Are Apollo and Midnighter "Good Role Models"? Please don't kid. No member of the Authority was ever anything vaguely resembling a Good Role Model (well, maybe the last Doctor); I don't know much about this new Stormwatch, but I doubt Good Role Models.

As Good Representatives of LGBT people? I'd still prefer someone whose actually a hero, but they always did a good job representing strong, masculine, non-stereotypical, loving gay men; so I guess they're cool

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hectorsquall

@BOPFAN#3:

Apollo and Midnighter, best representatives of LGBT people
    Apollo and Midnighter, best representatives of LGBT people
    BOPFAN#3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BOPFAN#3

@hectorsquall: hahahaha sometimes you need to kill people with giant electric screwdrivers?

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By ReVamp

No... Middy freackin' punches heads off people, so I don't think he's a good role model, no.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Billy Batson

Kicking people's heads off doesn't fit the category of being a good role model?
    Pffft, come one now.
    BB

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#10  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Maki_P said:

Are Apollo and Midnighter "Good Role Models"? Please don't kid. No member of the Authority was ever anything vaguely resembling a Good Role Model (well, maybe the last Doctor); I don't know much about this new Stormwatch, but I doubt Good Role Models.

Tell me you're not talking about the man so addicted to drugs he'd go into battle high. Also, I think Angie and Shen were probably the best role models.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hectorsquall
    GOAAALLLLLLLLLL!!!!!
    GOAAALLLLLLLLLL!!!!!
    Maki_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By Maki_P

@Buckshot said:

@Maki_P said:

Tell me you're not talking about the man so addicted to drugs he'd go into battle high. Also, I think Angie and Shen were probably the best role models.

No, I mean the other one (the suicide bomber? Remember him?). He seemed more together than all the other ones

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Saren

@ReVamp said:

No... Middy freackin' punches heads off people, so I don't think he's a good role model, no.

In fairness, the guy whose head he punched through was a Nazi, and he did that because he was disgusted that the Nazis were sending ten year old kids to the battlefield.

lady_toyano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By lady_toyano

@Maki_P: He did have the cleanest record compared to the rest of the team. When the Authority weren't exacting vengeful justice, they were getting there freak on.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

#15  Edited By knighthood

@BOPFAN#3: If you are looking for LGBT should check out the most recent issues of Astonishing X-Men. I think Northstar and his partner are fairly good representatives.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.