Follow

Storm

Character » Storm appears in 10183 issues.

Born to an American photo journalist and Kenyan princess, Ororo Munroe is one of the most recognizabe superheroines in the Marvel Universe. Using her unique ability to see and manipulate natural energy patterns of the universe to summon any type of weather phenomenon she desires in the blink of an eye, she is called Storm.

Why not?: Electrical manipulation (Long Read)

XxeroOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By XxeroOne

Hey guys, I was doing a little bit of research and I was Wondering why some characters are able to do certain things but Storm "cannot". Most of these "hidden" abilities may be the result of a lack of comprehension from the writers, or writers may fear that they are making Storm too powerful, or by showing this ability could expose a potential weakness for Storm (i'll explain what I mean by this later). With that being said, I'm going to start off with Storms ability to manipulate electricity.

* Disclaimer: This is not a topic of Storms Potential! This is what Storm has been Shown to do, and what she should be able to do as a result of the Feat. *

Proof

No Caption Provided

If you pay attention closely, Storm says. "...If i overdo it, I might short out the whole Subway system." Meaning that Storm isn't creating her lightning bolt from bioelectricity in this case. She is Absorbing the electrical ions that are generated in the subway system and is directing it as a bolt of lightning. We have seen plenty of times where storm has either Absorbed electricity for a specific purpose, or has used her own bioelectrical energy for a purpose. Storm's Primary Power is not electrical manipulation, nor is her ability to manipulate the wind/air. Storm's power is to manipulate/control the forces and energies that govern weather. In any given moment Storm has the option to make any one of these forces or energies as her "primary power".

*Readers Thoughts*: " LimitlessPower, we already know that! What's the point?"

My Point

There are other characters in the Marvel Universe that does the same exact thing as Storm, But they're also able to do more! If they can do it, what prevents Storm from doing it? Characters like Surge, Electro and Nahrees are able to utilize there electrical manipulation for a variety of purposes. If you read their powers section on their page you'll see that they utilize their electrical manipulation in very similar ways. But I want to gravitate toward a different character that isn't apart of the Marvel universe.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I want to focus on the DC comics character Black Lightning.

No Caption Provided

I'm focusing on Black Lightning because Marvel has been very vague when it comes to the abilities of electrical Manipulators, but DC has outdone themselves when it comes to this character.

Black lightning is a very powerful Electrokinetic! He has shown very noteworthy feats in the DC Universe. Black Lightning is able to generate, absorb, and manipulate electricity for various purposes.

Here are some things that I want to focus on that Black Lightning has done because of his ability to manipulate electricity:

- "The electricity generated by his body also reduces fatigue, allowing him to exert himself for long duration's of time."

- "Aside from being able to lift/bench press beyond his own weight, he can increase his overall strength by stimulating his muscles with electricity."

- "...capable of reacting at lightning speeds. His mind and eyes are capable of processing information at such speeds, that time appears to have slowed down."

- "...can fly by charging his lower body with electric energy. Theoretically he can fly at the speed of light..."

- "...capable of channeling his bio-electrical energy into attacks or even drain the bio-electrical energies that may dwell within another being."

- "...can absorb electrical energy, and utilize it for various purposes which include: enhancing his speed, convert the electrical energy into some other form of energy, use the electrical energy to regenerate/heal himself, and enhance all his powers/abilities."

- "...can increase his electrical projections by simply ionizing the hydrogen atoms in the atmosphere..."

- "...capable of discharging destructive electrical energy that flows through the air negating all resistance that may be received from air or space. The destructive electrical energy is capable of destroying an entire area."

- "Black lightning can heal himself and others by using electricity, by absorbing electrons and using them to stimulate molecules, renewing damaged cells."

- "...can manipulate matter on a telekinetic scale with the use of Electromagnetism."

- “…able to track the resonance of a broadcast frequency to a location of where its coming from… senses the weak bio electric fields generated by living beings and uses it to locate them. These electric fields are generated by everything living due to the activity of their nerves and muscles… senses his surrounding environment by generating electric fields and detecting distortions in these fields…”

- “….can produce highly concentrated electric force fields that are powerful enough to deflect high caliber bullets and high levels of impact. The force fields are capable of withstand tremendous physical attacks, grenades, explosives, artillery fire, missiles, fire, and energy attacks.”

- “…possesses intense bio-electrical energy within his own body, which allows him to transform into pure electrical energy… While in this form, he becomes immune to all existing poisons, bacteria and diseases, and can survive without oxygen…can pass through solid matter, move at supernatural speed.”

- “…can release and surround himself in electrical energy for defensive/offensive purposes, becoming almost untouchable and granting him various abilities/attacks. The electrical aura gives him enhanced physical capabilities such as speed, strength and durability.”

How this Relates To Storm

Black Lightnings power is electrokinesis. Storm is also an electrokinetic. Storm is not a small scale electrokinetic and she has shown time and time again on how well she can manipulate electricity.

Black lightnings electrokinesis works likes this: Generating and controlling/manipulating electricity; He can also use various electrical attacks and manipulate different forms of electricity. Storms electrokinesis works like this: Generating and controlling/manipulating electricity.

Being that there is no difference between the two, Storm should also be able to use electrical energy in almost the same exact way as Black Lightning, Surge, Electro, etc..

Physically, Storm should be able to: increase her strength, increase her speed, reduce fatigue, increase endurance, increase reflexes/reaction time, increase healing rate, have increased immunity to diseases and should be able to survive without oxygen.

Energy wise, Storm should be able to: increase her flight speed, create electrical fields to block various forms of attacks, sense others via their bio-electricity, become a being of pure electrical energy, and manipulate matter via EM.

Storm has been shown to do many things with her electrical manipulation offensively, but as we can see, electrokinesis could be the difference in Storm being a "glass canon" and a "steel canon". Utilizing electrokinesis in a way similar to Black Lightning, would give a lot of Marvel Characters a Good run for their money.

The arguments (This is my opinion)

Even though Storm and Black Lightning are both electrokinetics, does Storm have the same degree of control as Black Lightning?

I would think so. They have different levels of output, but utilizing electricity for a specific purpose is just that. Now the output of that purpose may vary.

Is Storm limited to the amount of electrical energy present, whereas Black Lightning generates near infinite amounts of electricity?

No. Electrons are everywhere and they love "following" after each other.

If Storm does decide to go "full electrokinetic" in a situation, would she have the same or similar weaknesses as Black Lightning?

Most likely, yes.

Storm and Black Lightning have different physiology's, So wouldn't Black Lightnings physiology allow him to utilize his powers in such a degree?

Yes and No. The main difference in physiology is that his body has an electroreceptor organ which allows him to track different bio-electrical patterns. But both can absorb and generate electricity in their physical form. Therefore, there must be a certain physiological feature that allows them to perform these actions. Because of this, Storm should be able to utilize her electrokinesis in an almost identical degree as him. The only difference is that electrokinesis is Black Lightning's primary power, so he utilizes it all the time and explores it in many different ways.

What are your Thoughts?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My thoughts? I agree with you! : )

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Malachi_Munroe

and I just saw this right as I saw this thread lol.

Proof that Storm's powers are energy manipulation.........................and this is Emma in her (Storm's) body.
    Proof that Storm's powers are energy manipulation.........................and this is Emma in her (Storm's) body.

XxeroOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malachi_munroe: Hey! True, but electrons/ions are a part of the atmosphere

Levram89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Levram89

I think it also depends on the way the writer writes Storm. In X-men V4 #19 Page 11, Storm needs to create energy for the space station but they kind of dance around her not being able to do it in an interesting way.

No Caption Provided

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Malachi_Munroe

@levram89 said:

I think it also depends on the way the writer writes Storm. In X-men V4 #19 Page 11, Storm needs to create energy for the space station but they kind of dance around her not being able to do it in an interesting way.

No Caption Provided

I refuse to acknowledge that garbage....................................................................I would have accepted her being limited by the shield or whatever that was around the station( considering I've never seen her inhibited by a shield of anykind ), denying her access to the electrons, or the myriad of different energies on the outside...........................and she should strangle manifold's a$$ for nearly killing her. And this is without even acknowledging that her body itself generates massive levels of electricity that she can generate even if the atmosphere has "precious little to provide"

and LOL I love Agent Brand XD

Levram89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Levram89

@malachi_munroe said:

@levram89 said:

No Caption Provided

I refuse to acknowledge that garbage....................................................................I would have accepted her being limited by the shield or whatever that was around the station( considering I've never seen her inhibited by a shield of anykind ), denying her access to the electrons, or the myriad of different energies on the outside...........................and she should strangle manifold's a$$ for nearly killing her. And this is without even acknowledging that her body itself generates massive levels of electricity that she can generate even if the atmosphere has "precious little to provide"

and LOL I love Agent Brand XD

Speaking of Manifold, what did he do to her exactly. I didn't understand, did he turn on the gravity high or something?

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Malachi_Munroe

@levram89: that creep strangled her..................................................................... she'd better be out for blood when she finds out

*meanwhile, at the JGS*

No Caption Provided

Emma Frost, The White Queen is enjoying the newly acquired rug of Headmistress Ororo Munroe, Storm. @thunderbolt30 just for you lol!

Levram89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Levram89
    Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Malachi_Munroe

@levram89: Celia noticed the marks on her neck and he said something about it being his doing and that he'd have to kill her now or something.

Levram89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Levram89

@malachi_munroe said:

@levram89: Celia noticed the marks on her neck and he said something about it being his doing and that he'd have to kill her now or something.

Yeah I know, I'm assuming that in the second photo when it looks like he is checking her pulse, he strangled her. But SOMETHING happened to her to make her fall after she finished powering the ship, which I assume Manifold had a hand in. That's what I'm confused with.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@levram89: I believe it was the over exertion of her power, it seemed like she fainted right before the power came on. Storm has a habit of falling to the ground after pulling off feats that strain her (someone is usually there to catch her).

What I want to know is, how the hell is he able to walk in there already??.... Shouldn't the floor be thousands of degrees?

Levram89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@levram89: I believe it was the over exertion of her power, it seemed like she fainted right before the power came on.

That makes sense. Then that means that Manifold strangled her for good measure. That's messed up Lol.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malachi_munroe: Hey! True, but electrons/ions are a part of the atmosphere

I mean as in she possibly can't use them to boost her physical stats. I don't think she ever will anyway.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@levram89: that creep strangled her..................................................................... she'd better be out for blood when she finds out

*meanwhile, at the JGS*

No Caption Provided

Emma Frost, The White Queen is enjoying the newly acquired rug of Headmistress Ororo Munroe, Storm. @thunderbolt30 just for you lol!

Hahahaaa perfect Mal. His a$$ should definitely be skinned when she comes too.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@limitlesspower: Nice thread Limitless. I'll think on this more and circle back. We should all also give some thoughts on Storm 4 tomorrow.

XxeroOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malachi_munroe: i think she can, but she'll definitely need some guidance so she doesn't fry something important....

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Malachi_Munroe

@malachi_munroe: i think she can, but she'll definitely need some guidance so she doesn't fry something important....

like her ovaries?

XxeroOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By devilsgrin81
    Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peerless1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Peerless1

: @limitlesspower: I really think it is a question of how she generates her electrical effects not so much that they are electrical. She seems to really relish and favor an atmospheric medium to do so. I'm not saying that she requires an atmosphere to generate lightning, but it is where she does it most efficiently.

So to using lightning in the ways the others who are pure electron manipulators may not be in her tool kit, just as I'm sure they don't understand how to generate thunder or something with a more direct weather effect.

But the Manifold Tyger and starship thing was weak. Really?

What is lost is this point. Space is a bit more rich with materials for her to manipulate than is shown. Galaxies have all types of plasma, dust and electromagnetic energy--HUGE amounts in fact. Why Storm, who powers adapt to an environment, can't figure out how to better utilize and tap into cosmic storms and interstellar media like the true Mistress of the Storm she is, eludes me!

@devilsgrin81The cervical region would be probably be more problematic. ;)

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Malachi_Munroe

@peerless1 said:

: @limitlesspower: I really think it is a question of how she generates her electrical effects not so much that they are electrical. She seems to really relish and favor an atmospheric medium to do so. I'm not saying that she requires an atmosphere to generate lightning, but it is where she does it most efficiently.

So to using lightning in the ways the others who are pure electron manipulators may not be in her tool kit, just as I'm sure they don't understand how to generate thunder or something with a more direct weather effect.

But the Manifold Tyger and starship thing was weak. Really?

What is lost is this point. Space is a bit more rich with materials for her to manipulate than is shown. Galaxies have all types of plasma, dust and electromagnetic energy--HUGE amounts in fact. Why Storm, who powers adapt to an environment, can't figure out how to better utilize and tap into cosmic storms and interstellar media like the true Mistress of the Storm she is, eludes me!

@devilsgrin81The cervical region would be probably be more problematic. ;)

Thus, we were utterly trolled by the writer................As I said before, a better explanation would be the shield that was keeping the atmosphere inside. She could have said it was cutting her off from the energies of the cosmos instead of that. Because even when in space on board a ship she could still affect the medium around her.........generating thunder is a no brainer. Superheat the air........BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Avatar image for marlexcabanilla
    marlexcabanilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By marlexcabanilla
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

here we see Storm is wounded but get healed with a lighting

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

here we see Storm is wounded but get healed with a lighting

Yes. She can do that.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well not so much healed as she just cauterized her wound.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@levram89: another incorrect explanation of how her powers work. McDuffie understood that though limited with what she could do, she still had the ability to utilize her powers in space. Additionally,Pak demonstrated that she can utilize her powers in space by creating an aurora effect (created due to solar winds, radiation from the sun, transverse the earth upper atmosphere) for over 4 hrs. Any writer who doesn't understand this from all of the historical resources explaining how her powers work should not be taken as a credible writer in terms of their understanding of Storm's power.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marlexcabanilla: that isn't healing. The temperature of the lightning would have burned the wound, thus closing the blood vessels resulting in less bloodloss. Surgeons have a tool that does the same thing. I believe it's called a cauterizer?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jhazzroucher

Reminds me of what Storm did to stop Colossus melting on his chest

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

@jhazzroucher said:
    @thunderbolt30 said:

Hmmm well I think that was different. Storm used lightning to vaporize the acid that was eating Colossus's metal flesh and simultaneously hit him with a concentrated monsoon blast to cleanse the wound. In the instance above Storm's lightning burned out the metal shaft that impaled her and then cauterized the wound.

Edited for grammar.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher said:
    @thunderbolt30 said:

Hmmm well I think that was different. Storm used lightning to vaporize the acid that eating Colossus's metal flesh and simultaneously hit him with a concentration monsoon blast to cleanse the wound. In the instance above Storm's lightning butned out the metal shat that impaled her and then cauterized the wound.

I see. Thank you for the explanation.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderbolt30: I wonder though, since this thread is touching up her restoring herself with lightning, could she have pulled the same trick she did in the arena where she used lightning to boost herself or something like that, could that have been applied to her at least not passing out from exhaustion by issue 6?

And just because I'm fascinated with them... I want a sandstorm in the middle of Westchester lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.