What's with the 2013 Storm push?

#1 Posted by Namor1987 (1889 posts) - - Show Bio

Really? I've got no problem her but dang Marvel is pushing her hard this year. 1st they give her control of her own Uncanny X-Force team; then she becomes the Headmistress of The Jean Grey Institute For Gifted Youngsters; then I read she's getting her own all female X-Women team made of herself, Pyslocke, Kitty Pryde, Rogue, Jubilee, Rachel Summers. Seems to me like Marvel is pushing hard this year for a reason. That reason I don't know.

#2 Posted by Roddy010 (5310 posts) - - Show Bio

Because she's been a background character for years and that disappointed many fans. Marvel realized how large a fanbase Storm has and has decided to give her more prominent roles with the X-men. Which I believe is a smart move on their part. The doors of opportunity have been opened for Ororo I just hope these writers can do her justice. I'm really enjoying Humphries UXF and I'm really hopeful to read Brian Wood's X-men.

#3 Posted by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@Namor1987 said:

Really? I've got no problem her but dang Marvel is pushing her hard this year. 1st they give her control of her own Uncanny X-Force team; then she becomes the Headmistress of The Jean Grey Institute For Gifted Youngsters; then I read she's getting her own all female X-Women team made of herself, Pyslocke, Kitty Pryde, Rogue, Jubilee, Rachel Summers. Seems to me like Marvel is pushing hard this year for a reason. That reason I don't know.

Because Marvel understands that their number 1 Female character deserves #1 treatment in the MU! It's something that has been well overdo for quite some time.

#4 Posted by jhazzroucher (16149 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

Because Marvel understands that their number 1 Female character deserves #1 treatment in the MU! It's something that has been well overdo for quite some time.

Storm deserves it.

And I won't be surprised when Marvel finally gives her an ongoing solo. : )

#5 Posted by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010 said:

Because she's been a background character for years and that disappointed many fans. Marvel realized how large a fanbase Storm has and has decided to give her more prominent roles with the X-men. Which I believe is a smart move on their part. The doors of opportunity have been opened for Ororo I just hope these writers can do her justice. I'm really enjoying Humphries UXF and I'm really hopeful to read Brian Wood's X-men.

I want to ditto this!!

#6 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@Namor1987 said:

Marvel's pushing for a stronger female audience, and Storm fits the bill entirely. She's one of the strongest X-Men leaders, and I think they realize just how wrong she was done during her marriage, so they're also trying to make amends.

#7 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say that because the decided to "annul" her and BP's marriage that reestablishing her position in the X-Men seemed required. From there a handful of writers recognized her character was getting sidelined when she should be front and center as one of Marvel's most popular characters.

#8 Posted by Namor1987 (1889 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

Storm deserves it.

This I see happening by 2013 is over. Lol watch in October they'll announce Storm is getting her solo or at SDCC! lol

#9 Posted by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@Namor1987 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

Storm deserves it.

This I see happening by 2013 is over. Lol watch in October they'll announce Storm is getting her solo or at SDCC! lol

this would be so awesome if they did!!

#10 Posted by Namor1987 (1889 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

Storm deserves it.

BTW it's about time Marvel put Jubilee & Rachel Grey to use. They've been getting lost in the shuffle so to speak. LOL BTW why is an all-female squad called the X-Men? They've got "lady parts" so shouldn't they be dubbed the X-Women?

#11 Posted by jhazzroucher (16149 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

Storm deserves it.

i want an ongoing solo for her this year though.

#12 Posted by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@Namor1987 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

Storm deserves it.

BTW it's about time Marvel put Jubilee & Rachel Grey to use. They've been getting lost in the shuffle so to speak. LOL BTW why is an all-female squad called the X-Men? They've got "lady parts" so shouldn't they be dubbed the X-Women?

Well Wood goes into an extensive explanation as to why it would be insulting to suggest that the team should be called X-Women because its a cast full of women. His point is that they are X-men, regardless if they are all women, all men, a mixture of both. I actually agree with him.

#13 Posted by Namor1987 (1889 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

Storm deserves it.

Well Wood goes into an extensive explanation as to why it would be insulting to suggest that the team should be called X-Women because its a cast full of women. His point is that they are X-men, regardless if they are all women, all men, a mixture of both. I actually agree with him.

Can't discriminate or be sexist in the X-Men. LOL

#14 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6425 posts) - - Show Bio

@Namor1987 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

Storm deserves it.

I think the 'men' in 'X-Men' refers to the fact that humans are referred to as 'man' or 'mankind', so there's no reason to change it as the name already covers both sexes.

However, the word 'man' being used for all humans does annoy me. X-Humans would've been better, but it doesn't sound as catchy.

#15 Posted by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Namor1987 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

Storm deserves it.

I think the 'men' in 'X-Men' refers to the fact that humans are referred to as 'man' or 'mankind', so there's no reason to change it as the name already covers both sexes.

However, the word 'man' being used for all humans does annoy me. X-Humans would've been better, but it doesn't sound as catchy.

Yes this!!

#16 Posted by jhazzroucher (16149 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Namor1987 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

Storm deserves it.

Yes this!!

I third the motion

#17 Posted by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@Namor1987 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

Storm deserves it.

hmmm. well.. i just going to say no comment to that one lol

#18 Posted by Namor1987 (1889 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

Storm deserves it.

Do they have any sexist or racist X-Men? None to my knowledge.

#19 Posted by Xwraith (19364 posts) - - Show Bio

@Namor1987: Pretty much everything I've seen says the new UXF is Psylocke's team, not Storm's.

#20 Edited by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xwraith said:

@Namor1987: Pretty much everything I've seen says the new UXF is Psylocke's team, not Storm's.

hmmm. no actually its a joint leadership by both her and Storm.. several interviews with writers on the book have confirmed this

#21 Posted by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@Namor1987 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

Storm deserves it.

well not necessarily internally.. i wasn't really speaking in terms of within the comics

#22 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4849 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: What do you mean doesn't sound as catchy X-Humans sounds corny, and I picture a bunch of freakshows or disfigured heroes. Then again maybe people would like that name. (+)

#23 Posted by jhazzroucher (16149 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Namor1987 said:

Storm deserves it.

well not necessarily internally.. i wasn't really speaking in terms of within the comics

i like Wood's explanation. I agree with him.

#24 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6425 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yung ANcient One:Catchy as in snappy. X-Men is a snappier title than X-Humans. I'd just prefer if 'man' wasn't used to refer to all humans, when it also specifically refers to males. It just seems unequal in such a way that it doesn't necessarily favour men or women.

This is just my view of words getting in the way. It's not really relevant.

#25 Edited by jhazzroucher (16149 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Yung ANcient One:Catchy as in snappy. X-Men is a snappier title than X-Humans. I'd just prefer if 'man' wasn't used to refer to all humans, when it also specifically refers to males. It just seems unequal in such a way that it doesn't necessarily favour men or women.

I think I can only say X-Men is snappier because it's the reality. But if they were called x-humans since their first appearance, x-humans would be snappier and there wouldn't be question about the name of the team.

#26 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6425 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

I think I can only say X-Men is snappier because it's the reality. But if they were called x-humans since their first appearance, x-humans would be snappier and there wouldn't be question about the name of the team.

Probably.

#27 Posted by poisonfleur (3071 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems like you didn't know--

#28 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3599 posts) - - Show Bio

To be fair, Marvel has been trying to push their more well-known female characters for years, starting with Claremont and Byrne with Jean, Ororo and Susan Storm, waning in the '90s and '00s, and (thankfully) happening again with Captain/Ms. Marvel and others. The X-Men were focused on Ororo and Kitty for years if you look at the publication history, X-Men has always been somewhat dominated by female characters under those two writers' influences. Storm is one of the most recognizable characters in Marvel's supporting star roster and while she can't hold a book on her own, they are trying to figure out a way to make her popularity translate to higher sales figures. It doesn't hurt that she is one of the few African American superheroines.

#29 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't even close to the insane fanwanking she received under Claremont's pen.

Mutants are hated and feared, their gifts are also a curse. Except for Storm. She's wonderful, and worshipped as a goddess, and masters her powers in no time. Those powers having infinite combat and every day use, as well as being virtually limitless due to writer stupidity. And she has to be leader of the Morlocks, the outcast strain of mutants, because she's so lovely and wonderful and invincible in combat. But she also must lead the X-Men, because she's just the most qualified.

Trust me, 2013 has not been a Storm push.

#30 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

This isn't even close to the insane fanwanking she received under Claremont's pen.

Mutants are hated and feared, their gifts are also a curse. Except for Storm. She's wonderful, and worshipped as a goddess, and masters her powers in no time. Those powers having infinite combat and every day use, as well as being virtually limitless due to writer stupidity. And she has to be leader of the Morlocks, the outcast strain of mutants, because she's so lovely and wonderful and invincible in combat. But she also must lead the X-Men, because she's just the most qualified.

Don't forget that nonsense where she had like a key to another dimension she ruled over or some crap.

#31 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: @X35:

Lololololol.

OT - Because it's about focking time. After being put through character degradation by writers across the board excluding a particular few, being married off to T'Challa, she's gotten rid of that baggage and Marvel's preparing us for the beneficial prospective. She's deserved this and then some.

#32 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: Yeah, sorry, mate. I wasn't having a shot at you (or the other good Storm fans like White Mage), just find it very frustrating how she was portrayed back then. She's better now.

#33 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, maybe they'll raffle her off to Falcon next.

#34 Posted by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I could not disagree more with your assessment of Storm and how she was written under Claremont's pen. Storm is not this wonderful character who has never experienced what it feels to lose it all and to have nothing. She lost her parents, the only family she knew as a young child and had to resort to theivery to fend for herself. After being worshipped as a goddess, she was recruited as Xmen and saw and experienced the hatred and fear from humans first hand, just like any other mutant did. Yes she was the Morlock leader, but under her leadership the Morlocks experienced a massacre of their people, in which she was blamed and still lives with that guilt today. She had a lot of blunders as leaders which indicates that she is human and flawed. However, and this is what I loved about how she was characterized, even with those mistakes she never cowered to her doubt and she kept fighting. That's not being wonderful, that's not being a goddess, that's being human. Even with the use of her powers, she has to be restrained and disciplined because her powers are directly connected to her emotional state. Yes it virtually limitless but she always tempers it with her humanity, which requires strength and will power.

So again, couldn't disagree more with your points and with her leading two teams, and being headmistress this is an indication that Marvel is pushing her to the forefront in 2013 at least. We have to see how these stories progress her and her brand to be certain of this though.

#35 Posted by Roddy010 (5310 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I'm sorry but this just shows you know little to nothing about her character.

#36 Posted by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010 said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I'm sorry but this just shows you know little to nothing about her character.

exactly!!!

#37 Posted by PassionFlower (960 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no Storm character push that I can determine. She had a nice wardrobe change. The reason is simple--they aren't interested in doing it. Period.

#38 Posted by jhazzroucher (16149 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

To be fair, Marvel has been trying to push their more well-known female characters for years, starting with Claremont and Byrne with Jean, Ororo and Susan Storm, waning in the '90s and '00s, and (thankfully) happening again with Captain/Ms. Marvel and others. The X-Men were focused on Ororo and Kitty for years if you look at the publication history, X-Men has always been somewhat dominated by female characters under those two writers' influences. Storm is one of the most recognizable characters in Marvel's supporting star roster and while she can't hold a book on her own, they are trying to figure out a way to make her popularity translate to higher sales figures. It doesn't hurt that she is one of the few African American superheroines.

Storm must be written well on every book that she appears if they want more people to like her.

#39 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

She's been under/misused for years. Taking the back seat to other characters. Give her a proper role already. Let her have some prominence.

#40 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

She's been under/misused for years. Taking the back seat to other characters. Give her a proper role already. Let her have some prominence.

#41 Posted by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

beautiful

#42 Posted by jhazzroucher (16149 posts) - - Show Bio

actually, for me the push is still not enough until she is stated to be the overall leader of the X-Men.

#43 Posted by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

actually, for me the push is still not enough until she is stated to be the overall leader of the X-Men.

im perspnaly ok with where shes at now.. i want some more impressive feats as well maybe omega level confirmation finally

#44 Posted by jhazzroucher (16149 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@jhazzroucher said:

im perspnaly ok with where shes at now.. i want some more impressive feats as well maybe omega level confirmation finally

omega level confirmation yeah!

#45 Posted by jhazzroucher (16149 posts) - - Show Bio

and putting her to Avengers would also give her a good push too

#46 Posted by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@butterflykyss said:

@jhazzroucher said:

i kno some wouldnt like it.. but i would. i dont want her to change in regards to how she has been shown at her strongest but i just want the omega potential speculation to b confirmed

#47 Posted by jhazzroucher (16149 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@butterflykyss said:

@jhazzroucher said:

i kno some wouldnt like it.. but i would. i dont want her to change in regards to how she has been shown at her strongest but i just want the omega potential speculation to b confirmed

I wanna see Storm beating Magneto this year. : )

#48 Posted by Avenger85 (1916 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanna see her thrown into a gian industrial size meat grinder and die a slow, painful death.

#49 Posted by jhazzroucher (16149 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenger85 said:

I wanna see her thrown into a gian industrial size meat grinder and die a slow, painful death.

that will never happen

#50 Posted by Avenger85 (1916 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: LOL I was just joking.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.