Follow

Storm

Character » Storm appears in 10183 issues.

Born to an American photo journalist and Kenyan princess, Ororo Munroe is one of the most recognizabe superheroines in the Marvel Universe. Using her unique ability to see and manipulate natural energy patterns of the universe to summon any type of weather phenomenon she desires in the blink of an eye, she is called Storm.

What's so amazing about Storm?

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'll admit, I never used to like Storm that much. However since then I've read a ton more X-Men, from Claremont's Uncanny X-Men to Marvel Now (not all of it but that's the span) and I now really like her, but I still don't understand why she's as popular as she is.

I can accept that she's a beloved character. I can accept that she's one of, if not THE most popular X-Men character. But what really confuses me is how, for example, the Storm forum here on Comic Vine is now more popular than Captain America's. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

This isn't meant to be me saying "Storm is overrated" either, it's me asking "why is Storm as popular as she is?" If somebody could explain when and why Storm became so popular I'd be very grateful.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

@minisaladfresh: In regards to this specific website, there used to be a couple of Storm fans that had several alternate accounts and would just blow up the forums with nonsense.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

She's hot

~FLR $CASHMONEY$

Son Of Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I was really young when I lost my birth mother to a car crash and she was a lot like Storm. So in a sense I see a lot of my mom in Storm hence the name.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I was really young when I lost my birth mother to a car crash and she was a lot like Storm. So in a sense I see a lot of my mom in Storm hence the name.

Hey! It's good to see again fellow Storm fan! :)

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jhazzroucher

@minisaladfresh said:

I'll admit, I never used to like Storm that much. However since then I've read a ton more X-Men, from Claremont's Uncanny X-Men to Marvel Now (not all of it but that's the span) and I now really like her, but I still don't understand why she's as popular as she is.

I can accept that she's a beloved character. I can accept that she's one of, if not THE most popular X-Men character. But what really confuses me is how, for example, the Storm forum here on Comic Vine is now more popular than Captain America's. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

This isn't meant to be me saying "Storm is overrated" either, it's me asking "why is Storm as popular as she is?" If somebody could explain when and why Storm became so popular I'd be very grateful.

The Storm forum has even been the most popular forum before but after changes has been made to this site (2012) which all of the Storm threads in this forum were deleted, only a few Storm fans have continued to stay.

I believe that the reason why up to now, it's still one of the most popular forums is because the Storm fans talk a lot.

Also, Storm's powers are intriguing because some people think she's very powerful, some people think she's not, some people think she can only control the weather, etc. So people share different opinion on Storm powers. Storm fans themselves even have different opinions on Storm's powers.

And lastly, Storm is appearing a lot in different forms of media especially in comics which aside from her own ongoing solo, she is also always in adjectivelss x-men book, amazing x-men book, Wolverine and the X-men book and also appears from time to time in Uncanny X-men and All-New X-men books. She also appears on other non x-men books. We see Storm in movies, cartoon series, video games, etc.

So there's also a lot to talk about Storm too. :)

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZhuRong

She's a powerful and unique black female.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

She's like Thor, but female and less awesome

Avatar image for mistresssobeautiful
    mistresssobeautiful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

She's pretty and unique and a strong feminist symbol

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minisaladfresh: Just wanted to let you know. Most Storm threads really have a lot of posts compared to other threads even on other sites. If you'll check comicbookresources site, the Storm Appreciation Thread has more than 20,000 posts , the longest thread on that site. The second longest thread there was a chat thread at the off-topic forum, which currently has more than 15,000- posts. The second longest appreciation thread hasn't even reached 10,000 posts yet.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She's powerful and unique in her own right.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh I haven't really answered the question.

Storm is unique, connected to a lot of things (weather, magic, deities, thief, queen, etc) and has interesting powers.

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DaymarePrime

She is polarizing in the fact that she was one if the first WOC to gain a leading position in a book but with features so that she did not ignite some if the inherent racial prejudices. She was a great character in the past but IMO a shell of what she was. Like Wonder Woman she also has an iconic status in a very specific fan-base (due much to her unique appearance). In general she can cater to a diverse fan-base which carry her far but does not always relate to the general fan-base. Much if what is spoken of regarding her has little to do with the actual character of Storm and more of adding and creating upon her due to so few WOC characters (IMO).

She is important for what she represents although it can often get muddled in the extraneous posts.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She's like Thor, but female and even more awesome

Fixed!

Aww SoS I did not know this. :/ Sorry for your loss and I also related my mother to Ororo is so many ways so I can see how you made that connection. :)

Storm has always been an important figure in my life. Mainly because she represents the things I want most in life freedom, strength, compassion and valor. I see Storm as a free spirit who is willing to open herself up to different opportunities as well as people, leading to genuine relationships. Her powers are insanely unique and potent provided by numerous epic feats and she is not afraid of a challenge(r). Storm is amazing for numerous reasons but the most important to me is the fact that I can see myself in this character. I can relate to what she goes through and her career inspired me to be all that I can be despite the odds.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mooty_Pass

Sorry have not been posting got caught up in Life. Um oh right to answer this question. Why storm is so popular honestly I don't know, but why I like her is because she is so REAL for me she isn't afraid of NOBODY she speaks her mind she is OH SO CALM in dire situations and honestly no lie I see myself a little bit in here. Since I was a kid I have been looking for a hero I can gravitate to and like and I couldn't find anyone until one day The X-Men 90's series came on and I fell in love with her.

neelay3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minisaladfresh: For me I just love her journey as a character. Growing up I just naturally gravitated towards her and Jean Grey. (And I love that they are best friends)

I was quite young when the animated series was on tv so mostly grew up with Halle Storm and X-Men Evo Storm. I started getting the comics during the X-Tream X-Men period and just loved her. I loved that such a reserved powerful woman once lived as a street urchin and still knew how to pick pockets. And of course her powers and her design are so unique and unforgettable and to some even a little off putting.

I literally only go to watch X-Men movies for Storm.

Even in X-Men first Class the only thing I was exited about was the Storm cameo.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

She once beat Cyclops in a fight when her powers were gone

sneakerhead23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely nothing

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neelay3 said:

@minisaladfresh: For me I just love her journey as a character. Growing up I just naturally gravitated towards her and Jean Grey. (And I love that they are best friends)

I was quite young when the animated series was on tv so mostly grew up with Halle Storm and X-Men Evo Storm. I started getting the comics during the X-Tream X-Men period and just loved her. I loved that such a reserved powerful woman once lived as a street urchin and still knew how to pick pockets. And of course her powers and her design are so unique and unforgettable and to some even a little off putting.

I literally only go to watch X-Men movies for Storm.

Even in X-Men first Class the only thing I was exited about was the Storm cameo.

Me too. The young Storm cameo was my favorite part of that movie. :)

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Top black superhero if not top #1 black superhero

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neelay3: I think I missed the young Storm cameo O_o

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^

Somebody is butthurt

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GhostRider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I prefer Rogue personally. Not long ago I started this Uncanny Avengers series and have since fallen in love w/ my girl Rogue. Btw, regardless who your cup of tea happens to be, I do recommend that Uncanny Avengers to any-&-all Marvel fans, it's truly an amazing comic series.

But ya, now that I think of it, I find it strange too to see Storm has her very own forum-archive. Didn't know she was so popular.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jhazzroucher

I prefer Rogue personally. Not long ago I started this Uncanny Avengers series and have since fallen in love w/ my girl Rogue. Btw, regardless who your cup of tea happens to be, I do recommend that Uncanny Avengers to any-&-all Marvel fans, it's truly an amazing comic series.

But ya, now that I think of it, I find it strange too to see Storm has her very own forum-archive. Didn't know she was so popular.

I like Rogue a lot and her and Storm were my favorite in Xmen TAS. I'm glad she's getting more panels in the new UA series.

The Storm forum used to have hundreds of thread but it got accidentally deleted by the site in 2012. : (

alfacess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storm to me is pure woman. She is unique, a born leader, a thief, a goddess, a queen... so many layers to that character and of course that doesn't take away from her INCREDIBLE powers. She is also not seen as just the "girlfriend" like Jean sometimes and is an independent woman.

maaask12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She's a hero, Queen, Leader, Powerful, Smart, Sexy, and know how to stand her grown.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.