Storm's Sexuality

#1 Posted by poisonfleur (3492 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay-- let's just make this an official topic.

Back in December, we discussed if: Storm and Psylocke should hook up in X-force.

http://www.comicvine.com/x-men/65-3173/what-if-storm-psylocke-hooked-up-in-x-force/92-733788/#62

And many discussed how much they loved it/hated/ thought it was joke or good idea.... etc.

Many have speculated Storm and Yukio have been rather close... like Mystique and Destiny kind of close. And it is common knowledge that Mystique and Destiny's relationship was supposed to be expanded (And Destiny was supposed to be Nightcrawler's father) but Marvel was a bit sensitive with bisexual, gay, and lesbian relationships. Obviously that isn't the case nowadays.

So I must ask: Based on the character and the material you have read in the past, is it really that out of the box for Storm to have a bisexual encounter or have the writers play around with her sexuality? Are you highly opposed to thought? Open to it? On the fence?

I believe in the 80s and early 90s this wouldn't have been a surprise. Storm's character was such an edgy wildcard. Everything happened to her from meeting Yukio and getting a Mohawk, Lifedeath and loosing her powers, to many other surprisingly great stories. Nowadays Storm is a bit more of an established character, so it would be a bit of shock to see the writers play on her sexuality. Although I think that is exactly what her character needs to bring back the ' head-turning 'say what!?' freshness' that her 80s counterpart had. I also would imagine Storm and Yukio/Psylocke would be much more fun to write as opposed to Storm and Black Panther. Marvel could totally address many things by doing this.

Plus, Marvel could really gain from this. Storm has a decent sized fanbase among the gay audience, so this could also nod or play a little towards that.

(BTW, I am not saying make Storm gay and the gays will love her-- We still want Quality writing and Great stories to go along with this era/chapter.)

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7684 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally think Storm's Bi.

Say something.

#3 Posted by cattlebattle (14392 posts) - - Show Bio

I seem to remember Storm getting a mohawk being a joke by the creators that was taken the wrong way or something. Why would Storm become bi after decades of being heterosexual???

#4 Edited by poisonfleur (3492 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

I personally think Storm's Bi.

Say something.

LMAOOO

Seriously, could you imagine? Not to make this seem like a desperate cry for attention, but if Storm and Psylocke/Yukio were kissing on the cover of an X-men book...

Remember when Storm recently kissed Cyclops, then Wolverine on covers(Astonishing and Wolverine and the X-men)? Those we such a buzz and scandal. lol

#5 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7684 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

I seem to remember Storm getting a mohawk being a joke by the creators that was taken the wrong way or something. Why would Storm become bi after decades of being heterosexual???

If you've read a vast amount of her appearances, you'll find she hasn't always given off a straight heterosexual vibe. She's packed full of many wonders.

And would it be such a problem ?

#6 Posted by cattlebattle (14392 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

@cattlebattle said:

If you've read a vast amount of her appearances, you'll find she hasn't always given off a straight heterosexual vibe. She's packed full of many wonders.

I have read a vast amount of her appearances and though she may act kind of free spirited she always has a partner of the opposite sex....

It wouldn't be a problem, it would just seem like they are trying to something drastic and unnecessary for the character.

#7 Edited by poisonfleur (3492 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle

Touche. Although some of the best stories come from the unnecessary if penned by the skilled writer. I think her and Psylocke would be a bit of a shock-- although Yukio compliments Storm very well-- and completes her in ways only Forge comes closer to.

#8 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7684 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@cattlebattle said:

I have read a vast amount of her appearances and though she may act kind of free spirited she always has a partner of the opposite sex....

It wouldn't be a problem, it would just seem like they are trying to something drastic and unnecessary for the character.

Seemingly so, but what's on the exterior doesn't always match up with what's on the interior. Not saying that she's hiding anything, but it's also true that writer's have any really focused on the sexual/personal aspect of the character, she's usually just that domineering no-nonsense leader, caring wife, second fiddle or background char.

Mhm,

#9 Edited by poisonfleur (3492 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: AoH-- Yes. Some of the deepest story mechanics revolve around repressed/hidden sexual elements.

Like silent hill 2. James and the nurse and the rape scenes. Those were not all disturbing coincidence. And from what I have seen, Storm and Yukio in Storm the Arena seem very 'comfortable' (for lack there of better words) with each other. Jean is Storm's best friend, and I have Never seen them close like that.. Just pointing out.

But for argument's sake, Storm has kissed Gambit and Wolverine affectionately and it was just for the sake of friendship... I guess.

Claremont wrote Storm as such a sexual character. I loved it.

#10 Posted by cattlebattle (14392 posts) - - Show Bio

@poisonfleur said:

@cattlebattle

Touche. Although some of the best stories come from the unnecessary if penned by the skilled writer.

I see what you mean, but whenever they do something related to a characters sex it just seems like they are trying to exploit and it seems kind of fickle.

#11 Posted by antemiusenteri (243 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@poisonfleur said:

@cattlebattle

Touche. Although some of the best stories come from the unnecessary if penned by the skilled writer.

I see what you mean, but whenever they do something related to a characters sex it just seems like they are trying to exploit and it seems kind of fickle.

None sense

#12 Posted by Blood1991 (8115 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol

I think she is pansexual and was almost done with a thread to try and better explain it, but meh seems like we are covering it here.

#13 Posted by PassionFlower (968 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a good question. I tend to see her as an essentially bi-sexual woman who tends towards men long term-wise.That is how I see her as a Storm fan. Now my friends who are not her fans see her as the hyper sexualized exotic ala Starfire whose sexuality is just so much grist for the titillation mill.

#14 Posted by jhazzroucher (19491 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Storm to be straight

#15 Edited by kiss_lamia (1284 posts) - - Show Bio

@poisonfleur: Hmm i think storm sort of comes of as Pansexual to be honest, she seems to be attracted to personality traits rather than just phyisical things, so i think if they did put her in a relationship with a female it wouldn't be that shocking to be honest.

#16 Posted by White Mage (18056 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with the people saying she's Panslabyrinth, or whatever

#17 Posted by jhazzroucher (19491 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm is not pansexual. She just care for everybody.

#18 Edited by White Mage (18056 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

Freak-a-leak Ororo...Yukio...Anna

Freak-a-leak Logan...Remy...and Piotr

#19 Posted by mk111 (3148 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage:

OK, where is that from and what is going on?

#20 Posted by White Mage (18056 posts) - - Show Bio

@mk111 said:

@White Mage:

OK, where is that from and what is going on?

Something horrible that's been taken far out of context for the sake of furthering my lesbian agenda

Black Panther 31, and this is T'Challa's bad dream trance......Emma enters later, and Storm gets eaten by Bast

#21 Posted by jhazzroucher (19491 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

it's not proving it.

#22 Posted by mk111 (3148 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage:

That sounds like the coolest dream ever.

#23 Posted by White Mage (18056 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

it's not proving it.

They used to say the same thing about another powerful woman I loved who attracted kings, normal men, and Gods......

#24 Posted by White Mage (18056 posts) - - Show Bio

@mk111 said:

@White Mage:

That sounds like the coolest dream ever.

There's more that makes it suck.........suck soft..........like, seriously, Reginald Hudlin was an unrestricted struggle for quite a while...

#25 Edited by JakeN7 (15076 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Same reason my maternal Grandmother became a lesbian...

@poisonfleur said:

(And Destiny was supposed to be Nightcrawler's father).

I thought Azazel was Kurt's daddy?

@White Mage said:

I agree with the people saying she's Panslabyrinth, or whatever

I LOL'ed waaaayyy too hard.

#26 Posted by jhazzroucher (19491 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

it's not proving it.

They used to say the same thing about another powerful woman I loved who attracted kings, normal men, and Gods......

It only shows that she's the queen.

#27 Posted by StormyWeather (769 posts) - - Show Bio

lol who Storm fucks i couldn't care less

#28 Posted by ArtfulDodger101 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Odd topic...

#29 Posted by butterflykyss (4404 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

it's not proving it.

OMG i know this is off topic but I used to LOVE this show!!!!

#30 Posted by Target_X (381 posts) - - Show Bio

If Betsy gets with anyone of the same gender, it will be the new Femtomex.

#31 Posted by ArtfulDodger101 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Indubitably

#32 Posted by Mercy_ (93373 posts) - - Show Bio

@StormyWeather: Watch the language. please.

#33 Posted by Epicbeast3000 (1012 posts) - - Show Bio

@antemiusenteri: that girl is pretty

#34 Posted by poisonfleur (3492 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

That's Yukio!? I always wondered who that was in that pic.

I was like did Rachel dye her hair or what!? lol

#35 Posted by poisonfleur (3492 posts) - - Show Bio

@JakeN7: He is. The original concept was for Mystique to be the dad (shapeshift) and Destiny the mother-- but at the time Marvel considered that to be way too scandalous. Lol I find it funny how Destiny went blind and lesbian. Now that is a Dafuq!? moment. Mystique is bi.

@Target_X said:

I thought about that too..

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

it's not proving it.

Now that's what I am talking about-- If Xena: Warrior Princess can have a change of heart, So can Storm! :D

Xena is practically Wonder Woman.

#36 Posted by White Mage (18056 posts) - - Show Bio

@poisonfleur said:

@JakeN7: He is. The original concept was for Mystique to be the dad (shapeshift) and Destiny the mother-- but at the time Marvel considered that to be way too scandalous. Lol I find it funny how Destiny went blind and lesbian. Now that is a Dafuq!? moment. Mystique is bi.

@Target_X said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

it's not proving it.

Now that's what I am talking about-- If Xena: Warrior Princess can have a change of heart, So can Storm! :D

Oooohhh.....Let's not go there.lol

#37 Posted by White Mage (18056 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

it's not proving it.

How could someone NOT love that show? lol

#38 Posted by Son Of Storm (11338 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

it's not proving it.

I never watched it. Does that make me a bad person?

#39 Posted by Son Of Storm (11338 posts) - - Show Bio

I would be all for a lesbehonest experience between Storm and Psylocke......... with any luck Psylocke can teach Storm some ninja moves.....among other things.

#40 Posted by White Mage (18056 posts) - - Show Bio

@Son Of Storm said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

it's not proving it.

...........................We're.................we're gonna fight

Click
#41 Posted by Son Of Storm (11338 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@Son Of Storm said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

it's not proving it.

...........................We're.................we're gonna fight

Click

LMAO!

#42 Posted by butterflykyss (4404 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage: I know lol it was quite an amazing show LOL!!

#43 Edited by poisonfleur (3492 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@poisonfleur said:

@Target_X said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

it's not proving it.

Oooohhh.....Let's not go there.lol

Oh we are sooo going there! Lucy Lawless is Wonder Woman. Nobody else can be her. Xena is sheer proof of that. *Amazon war cry*

#44 Posted by acon70 (44 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: I think your right.

#45 Posted by x_29 (2375 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm should hook up with Psylocke and Rogue at the same time. Innovative take on diversity relationships.

#46 Edited by THUNDERBOLT30 (11737 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

it's not proving it.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH XENA! She was so frakkin' bad-a$$. I LOVED her show. And there was an episode where she and Gabrielle illuded to hookin' up ....Very fitting scan for this thread Mage :-)

edited

#47 Posted by jhazzroucher (19491 posts) - - Show Bio

@acon70 said:

@jhazzroucher: I think your right.

Thank you. : )

#48 Edited by poisonfleur (3492 posts) - - Show Bio

I am so ready for Storm to be the X-men's wildcard.

Bring on the Badass!

Bring on the Bisexual!

Bring on the Powerhouse!

Bring on the Attitude!

Bring on the Solo!

Bring on the leadership!

Bring on the movie roles (especially since Yukio is being introduced in The Wolverine!)

Have her punch someone in the face. LOL

I want her to have it allllllllllllllllllllllll!

#49 Posted by butterflykyss (4404 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Storm being straight... heterosexual. She can flirt it up with the women, but that is as far as I want to see it go.

#50 Posted by jhazzroucher (19491 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

I prefer Storm being straight... heterosexual. She can flirt it up with the women, but that is as far as I want to see it go.

I agree!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.