Storm - Phoenix Rising

  • 54 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by butterflykyss (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm's relevance in the X-world over the past few years has not been as prominent as her time during the 80s and 90s. With this there has been a stagnation of character growth, both in terms of her personality traits as well as the manner in which she utilitizes her powers. Recently however, O'roro's world was devasted with the end of her marriage and the death of Xavier courtesy of Cyclops. With the symbolic and literal death to these relationships, from these ashes a potential rebirth of the character could arise resulting in an even stronger Storm, one unphased perhaps even less compassionate as it pertains to those around her. Could these events lead to some real character progression in terms of her personality and power? What, if any, changes in her character in terms of attitude, outlook on life, etc., as well as her use of powers are you hoping to see?

For me at least, I would like for her to develop a strong resentment or distaste for the world and the people around her, giving her an almost unapologetic attitude towards the world. With this would obviously come an untempered use of her powers, perhaps even resulting in some use of it she wasn't quite aware was even there.

#2 Posted by Roddy010 (5113 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see Storm take charge like she did in Brian Woods book. I say writers should take note and give her that attitude for across the books.I'd also like to see her become more creative with her powers. I need some more feats to add to her power page.

#3 Posted by butterflykyss (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010 said:

I would like to see Storm take charge like she did in Brian Woods book. I say writers should take note and give her that attitude for across the books.I'd also like to see her become more creative with her powers. I need some more feats to add to her power page.

i agree with EVERYTHING you said. It just seems as though she has been reduced to a lightning wielder which to me honestly makes her seem unskillful as a fighter. Lightning is not always the appropriate response to a threat, and if I am aware of this as a reader, she should be written as such. Let's hope they take your advice and take not to what Wood did in Adjectiveless.

#4 Posted by Roddy010 (5113 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss: It's like they forgot all the other faucets of weather manipulation. Lightning is cool and flashy but we wanna see more than just a strike her and there what about her winds, cold/heat manipulation, her connection to the biosphere. I mean her powers stretch way to far to always depend on lightning.

#5 Posted by butterflykyss (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010 said:

@butterflykyss: It's like they forgot all the other faucets of weather manipulation. Lightning is cool and flashy but we wanna see more than just a strike her and there what about her winds, cold/heat manipulation, her connection to the biosphere. I mean her powers stretch way to far to always depend on lightning.

Exactly... I would love for them to explore some of the other potential uses of her powers. Perhaps her latent mystical powers surface allowing her to control all forms of the elements akin to Meagan.

#6 Posted by aerokinesis (529 posts) - - Show Bio

This begs the question...when was the last time Storm really just let loose? I mean when has she allowed herself to have a complete disregard for casualties and unleashed the fine control she's so often shown wielding. One would think the ending of her relationship with BP would have been a catalyst to at least SOME mild destruction or uncontrollable anger.

#7 Edited by stormphoenix (843 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss: @Roddy010: Yes I agree with you both I would like to see her make use of her powers more I have heard she can make plasma I would like to see more of that.

Also, I wanted to add this and correct me if i'm wrong now I remember the first time when she went mowhawk it said that she let go some of her building blocks and that her powers excuse me the use of her powers were even stronger now if that is true and if so do you guys believe we will see way more powerful feats from her? I hope so.

#8 Posted by PassionFlower (957 posts) - - Show Bio

There is a lot of good stuff to be mined.

#9 Edited by Storm Calling (3541 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice thread :)

@butterflykyss

said:

Storm's relevance in the X-world over the past few years has not been as prominent as her time during the 80s and 90s. With this there has been a stagnation of character growth, both in terms of her personality traits as well as the manner in which she utilitizes her powers. Recently however, O'roro's world was devasted with the end of her marriage and the death of Xavier courtesy of Cyclops. With the symbolic and literal death to these relationships, from these ashes a potential rebirth of the character could arise resulting in an even stronger Storm, one unphased perhaps even less compassionate as it pertains to those around her. Could these events lead to some real character progression in terms of her personality and power? What, if any, changes in her character in terms of attitude, outlook on life, etc., as well as her use of powers are you hoping to see?

For me at least, I would like for her to develop a strong resentment or distaste for the world and the people around her, giving her an almost unapologetic attitude towards the world. With this would obviously come an untempered use of her powers, perhaps even resulting in some use of it she wasn't quite aware was even there.

I'm hoping to see her step up to some degree and put some folks in their places. She's been sitting on the sidelines for far too long and I'm liking the approach Humphries may take with her in UXF. I'm also hoping to see her lead a team of her own in an X-men book and be much more useful in combat situations. I do not care for the lightning and hope she does something other than that in her upcoming appearances.
#10 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3443 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to see her take on a more Brooklyn Boheme approach that modernizes her naturalism and goddess worship. I don't really think she needs to be a leader or become more negative to cope with these things. Keep in mind that she's lived through a period where she thought Professor X was dead and it did not negatively color her view of the world.

Here is the problem: there are only so many leader slots, and if you need her to be the leader to be satisfied, you will go unsatisfied the majority of the time. I still have a liking for the character, but she's been boring and nothing but a walking set of powers for quite some time. It would be nice if she went and did her own thing for a while. Get some hobbies, maybe become an artist, start her own greenhouse - just get something that would give her more character beats than "I have weather powers." I was a kid during the '80s, so I grew up seeing her as the leader, but in retrospect, I prefer her more as a team member, as she was in the '70s. For some reason, leadership responsibilities strangles her character development. Maybe place her as a second-in-command or tertiary leadership position. Give her a bit of edge without seeming desperate.

Think of it this way: Character beats are traits that enable your character to have a definite point of view or at least interesting dialogue in many or any scene. At the end of the day, Wolverine has three major character beats 1) his samurai honor code, 2) his berserker rage and 3) false memories/Weapon X. These beats are very dynamic, and even though they relate to his past, you can build comic book stories on them pretty easily. Storms character beats have been minimized: 1) she is no longer affected by claustrophobia to the same extent, 2) her thief skills/thief past are very specialized so you rarely see her use them and when you do, it's mostly a result of her not wanting to use her powers to overwhelm her opponents and 3) she's never had to develop her powers to the same extent as others, so that removes an avenue of character development. The only "beat" she has left are her flawed relationships, and she never really delved into those reasons. I'd love to see some more development, but I think many writers just aren't that interested in her as a person.

#11 Posted by butterflykyss (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@Storm Calling: Thanks SC I appreciate that :). I would so love for her to start putting people in their appropriate places. It seems she wasn't as vocal as she should had been in many of the story arcs leading to AVX. Who specifically are you wanting her to put in their place?

@stormphoenix: I believe you are referencing when Punk Storm created an underground tornado to weed out Mastermind. She commented to herself how the control and use of her powers came with ease more or less. I will see if I can find the scan and post for you.

@PhoenixoftheTides: You make some valid points. I don't necessarily need to see her in a leadership role, but I do want character growth both in terms of her powers and in terms of her personality. I mean we see so many character evolve, from Cyclops, to Rogue, to Beast, to Iceman, to Emma. Additionally, I do believe again that her character is kind of blah for the most part, which is why I think it would be interesting to see her have a completely different attitude towards the world. Maybe not so much angry but just a woman who will no longer stand for BS, a woman who is fed up putting everyone and everything before herself. A woman less compassionate and patient and one who is more direct, in your face, and willing to give it to you no matter what bridges may be burned in the process. I just think with all things considering, not just the loss of Xavier, but also her ill-treatment by T'challa and the people of Wakanda, I could so see her being fed up with being peoples' floor mat, and her having the resolve to start putting herself first. I think it would make for some interesting dialogue/conflict in the X-stories if done properly.

#12 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3443 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss: In other words, you want her to behave more like the weather itself - direct, uncompromising and unforgiving. Which would be a cool development, because she wouldn't need to give into negative emotions to be that way. Just be direct and accept responsibility for the ramifications (and not really care about most of the fallout because she said what needed to be said). I'd love to see her just flat out say "Logan/Scott, you are a fool." and really just let her opinions be known. For some reason, she is in an emotional straight jacket most times (that whole goddess benevolence trait holding her back?) and I think Xenogenesis nailed the whole blunt edginess which may be why so many of her uber fans liked her depiction there.

#13 Posted by butterflykyss (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

@butterflykyss: In other words, you want her to behave more like the weather itself - direct, uncompromising and unforgiving. Which would be a cool development, because she wouldn't need to give into negative emotions to be that way. Just be direct and accept responsibility for the ramifications (and not really care about most of the fallout because she said what needed to be said). I'd love to see her just flat out say "Logan/Scott, you are a fool." and really just let her opinions be known. For some reason, she is in an emotional straight jacket most times (that whole goddess benevolence trait holding her back?) and I think Xenogenesis nailed the whole blunt edginess which may be why so many of her uber fans liked her depiction there.

YES YES YES!!!!! This perfectly captures what I would like to see from her. And even a bigger yes to her calling both Scott and Logan out, that would be epic. I also believe that the emotional straight jacket worn by O'roro is a by-product of the goddess benevolence; however, I think it is more an indication of the poor writing and creativity of the writers at Marvel. Gods/goddesses from mythos of varying cultures have been to be loving, caring, and compassionate, yet vindictive, angry, and even jealous. I mean take Hera for example, she embodied all of those traits, which is why you wouldn't want to be on her bad side. O'roro, if written correctly, could be edgy, blunt, unapologetic, and unwavering in her beliefs, and still retain elements oh herself that make her Storm. I think the Punk Storm of the 80s got this right, and though I never read Xenogenesis, I believe they captured this accurately as well.

#14 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

When i read this title, i thought you were talking about Storm Phoenix, my bad. But wow, i am loving the discussion. I really hope this year we will be seeing a return to Storm in all her glory. Beautiful, strong, compassionate, passionate, fierce and nurturing, bad ass and inspiring. I feel the writer from UXF will bring this Storm back in some manifestion, but i also hope this possible new Storm book with Brian Wood will give Storm the book to let loose and take charge and be the alternative to the schism. And i still feel the Schism that happened in X-tremr X-men was the right direction to go in but no one took Storm, Claremont seriously at that time and that story went no where when it made a lot of sense post Decimation. One more thing i am excited to see is Storm as the head and heart of the X-men again. i want to see her embrace that All-Mother Storm attitude and set these children straight.

#15 Posted by butterflykyss (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@Silver_Raven said:

When i read this title, i thought you were talking about Storm Phoenix, my bad. But wow, i am loving the discussion. I really hope this year we will be seeing a return to Storm in all her glory. Beautiful, strong, compassionate, passionate, fierce and nurturing, bad ass and inspiring. I feel the writer from UXF will bring this Storm back in some manifestion, but i also hope this possible new Storm book with Brian Wood will give Storm the book to let loose and take charge and be the alternative to the schism. And i still feel the Schism that happened in X-tremr X-men was the right direction to go in but no one took Storm, Claremont seriously at that time and that story went no where when it made a lot of sense post Decimation. One more thing i am excited to see is Storm as the head and heart of the X-men again. i want to see her embrace that All-Mother Storm attitude and set these children straight.

Oh no prob!! I actually made the title to peak an interest in the thread lol. Thanks so much to contributing to the conversation. I agree with you that I want Storm to return to her glory days, and would love for her to cut loose which is a point that made as well. It would be nice to see the writers characterize her like the All-Mother Storm, behaving as a goddess who can be both kind and vengeful. With this, and I piggy off of I want her approach as such to be direct, uncompromising, and unapologetic much like her powers in which she wields.

#16 Posted by PassionFlower (957 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides: OK I take it you saw :"Brooklyn Boheme", I loved it.

#17 Posted by Roddy010 (5113 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss: You would really enjoy Xenogenesis Storm was a badass in that run rocking the best Mohawk in the history of comics.

#18 Edited by butterflykyss (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010 said:

@butterflykyss: You would really enjoy Xenogenesis Storm was a badass in that run rocking the best Mohawk in the history of comics.

Yea I have heard many good things about it , but I thought it was not canon so I stayed away from it. I loved how exaggerated the features of the characters were.

I will try to see if i can get a hold of it but first I want Xforce lol

#19 Posted by Roddy010 (5113 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@Roddy010 said:

@butterflykyss: You would really enjoy Xenogenesis Storm was a badass in that run rocking the best Mohawk in the history of comics.

Yea I have heard many good things about it , but I thought it was not canon so I stayed away from it. I loved how exaggerated the features of the characters were.

I will try to see if i can get a hold of it but first I want Xforce lol

No it's definitely canon. Ellis and Andrew just took matter into their own hands but it's in continuity.

#20 Posted by butterflykyss (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Roddy010 said:

@butterflykyss: You would really enjoy Xenogenesis Storm was a badass in that run rocking the best Mohawk in the history of comics.

Yea I have heard many good things about it , but I thought it was not canon so I stayed away from it. I loved how exaggerated the features of the characters were.

I will try to see if i can get a hold of it but first I want Xforce lol

No it's definitely canon. Ellis and Andrew just took matter into their own hands but it's in continuity.

Yea I found that out a bit later reading a few boards, but it never quite made sense to me because she had the mohawk. Do you know how many issues there were?

#21 Posted by Roddy010 (5113 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@Roddy010 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Roddy010 said:

@butterflykyss: You would really enjoy Xenogenesis Storm was a badass in that run rocking the best Mohawk in the history of comics.

Yea I have heard many good things about it , but I thought it was not canon so I stayed away from it. I loved how exaggerated the features of the characters were.

I will try to see if i can get a hold of it but first I want Xforce lol

No it's definitely canon. Ellis and Andrew just took matter into their own hands but it's in continuity.

Yea I found that out a bit later reading a few boards, but it never quite made sense to me because she had the mohawk. Do you know how many issues there were?

There were 5. Lol it was just one of those things we don't ask questions about. Storm looked awesome and that look went perfectly well with her attitude in this arc.

#22 Posted by butterflykyss (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Roddy010 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Roddy010 said:

@butterflykyss: You would really enjoy Xenogenesis Storm was a badass in that run rocking the best Mohawk in the history of comics.

Yea I have heard many good things about it , but I thought it was not canon so I stayed away from it. I loved how exaggerated the features of the characters were.

I will try to see if i can get a hold of it but first I want Xforce lol

No it's definitely canon. Ellis and Andrew just took matter into their own hands but it's in continuity.

Yea I found that out a bit later reading a few boards, but it never quite made sense to me because she had the mohawk. Do you know how many issues there were?

There were 5. Lol it was just one of those things we don't ask questions about. Storm looked awesome and that look went perfectly well with her attitude in this arc.

Oh thats doable... I I will definitely check that out and I would understand why no one questions it LOL!!!

#23 Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a Storm fan, w/e Marvel chooses to do whether i like it or not honestly i'll read it if Storm is in the forefront......be honest Storm fans, you'll read it

#24 Posted by PassionFlower (957 posts) - - Show Bio

@StormyWeather said:

I'm a Storm fan, w/e Marvel chooses to do whether i like it or not honestly i'll read it if Storm is in the forefront......be honest Storm fans, you'll read it

True. I pretty much look for her in various solicits.

#25 Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@PassionFlower: exactly!

#26 Posted by jhazzroucher (14745 posts) - - Show Bio

@aerokinesis said:

This begs the question...when was the last time Storm really just let loose? I mean when has she allowed herself to have a complete disregard for casualties and unleashed the fine control she's so often shown wielding. One would think the ending of her relationship with BP would have been a catalyst to at least SOME mild destruction or uncontrollable anger.

The Rogue Storm issue

#27 Posted by LimitlessPower (80 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

Storm's relevance in the X-world over the past few years has not been as prominent as her time during the 80s and 90s. With this there has been a stagnation of character growth, both in terms of her personality traits as well as the manner in which she utilitizes her powers. Recently however, O'roro's world was devasted with the end of her marriage and the death of Xavier courtesy of Cyclops. With the symbolic and literal death to these relationships, from these ashes a potential rebirth of the character could arise resulting in an even stronger Storm, one unphased perhaps even less compassionate as it pertains to those around her. Could these events lead to some real character progression in terms of her personality and power? What, if any, changes in her character in terms of attitude, outlook on life, etc., as well as her use of powers are you hoping to see?

For me at least, I would like for her to develop a strong resentment or distaste for the world and the people around her, giving her an almost unapologetic attitude towards the world. With this would obviously come an untempered use of her powers, perhaps even resulting in some use of it she wasn't quite aware was even there.

Who are you? Secret agent? Telepath? lol Because what you just posted is the same thing I was previously discussing with some friends of mines. This is genius, i agree with this 100%. I'd like to see a change in her attitude and further exploration of her powers.

#28 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (9895 posts) - - Show Bio

@StormyWeather said:

I'm a Storm fan, w/e Marvel chooses to do whether i like it or not honestly i'll read it if Storm is in the forefront......be honest Storm fans, you'll read it

True. She is the draw for me in pretty much any book she appears in (even when the wrting sucks).

#29 Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30: lol exactly

#30 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@StormyWeather said:

I'm a Storm fan, w/e Marvel chooses to do whether i like it or not honestly i'll read it if Storm is in the forefront......be honest Storm fans, you'll read it

True. She is the draw for me in pretty much any book she appears in (even when the wrting sucks).

coughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughsomuchoflbackpantherwasterriblewhenhudlinwaswritingitcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughthoughthereweresomegoodmomentscoughcoughcough

#31 Posted by butterflykyss (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@LimitlessPower said:

@butterflykyss said:

Storm's relevance in the X-world over the past few years has not been as prominent as her time during the 80s and 90s. With this there has been a stagnation of character growth, both in terms of her personality traits as well as the manner in which she utilitizes her powers. Recently however, O'roro's world was devasted with the end of her marriage and the death of Xavier courtesy of Cyclops. With the symbolic and literal death to these relationships, from these ashes a potential rebirth of the character could arise resulting in an even stronger Storm, one unphased perhaps even less compassionate as it pertains to those around her. Could these events lead to some real character progression in terms of her personality and power? What, if any, changes in her character in terms of attitude, outlook on life, etc., as well as her use of powers are you hoping to see?

For me at least, I would like for her to develop a strong resentment or distaste for the world and the people around her, giving her an almost unapologetic attitude towards the world. With this would obviously come an untempered use of her powers, perhaps even resulting in some use of it she wasn't quite aware was even there.

Who are you? Secret agent? Telepath? lol Because what you just posted is the same thing I was previously discussing with some friends of mines. This is genius, i agree with this 100%. I'd like to see a change in her attitude and further exploration of her powers.

Hmmmm... I can't tell you all that... I got haters round these parts lol.. Thank you for the response. I would so love to see this. Well at least in my opinion, if was treated in the manner that she was by Tchalla, there would be hell to pay. Enough with saving face, lets see a lil' vindictive O'roro. Telepath LMAO you are too funny!!!1

#32 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (9895 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@StormyWeather said:

I'm a Storm fan, w/e Marvel chooses to do whether i like it or not honestly i'll read it if Storm is in the forefront......be honest Storm fans, you'll read it

True. She is the draw for me in pretty much any book she appears in (even when the wrting sucks).

coughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughsomuchoflbackpantherwasterriblewhenhudlinwaswritingitcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughthoughthereweresomegoodmomentscoughcoughcough

Lol...OK. We are some dedicated and resilient mofos. I kept buying the issues to support Storm and HOPING (in vain) for a change, and just b%^&*ed to anyone who would listen about the endless sh%^stains on every page Hudlin dropped ink on.

#33 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@White Mage said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@StormyWeather said:

I'm a Storm fan, w/e Marvel chooses to do whether i like it or not honestly i'll read it if Storm is in the forefront......be honest Storm fans, you'll read it

True. She is the draw for me in pretty much any book she appears in (even when the wrting sucks).

coughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughsomuchoflbackpantherwasterriblewhenhudlinwaswritingitcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughthoughthereweresomegoodmomentscoughcoughcough

Lol...OK. We are some dedicated and resilient mofos. I kept buying the issues to support Storm and HOPING (in vain) for a change, and just b%^&*ed to anyone who would listen about the endless sh%^stains on every page Hudlin dropped ink on.

When T'Challa yelled at her for knocking Doom on his a$$, I was ready to become one with the panel...merge with the art...and let Doom kill him. That was one of the most ridiculous displays of pride that I have EVER witnessed

#34 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (9895 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@White Mage said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@StormyWeather said:

I'm a Storm fan, w/e Marvel chooses to do whether i like it or not honestly i'll read it if Storm is in the forefront......be honest Storm fans, you'll read it

True. She is the draw for me in pretty much any book she appears in (even when the wrting sucks).

coughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughsomuchoflbackpantherwasterriblewhenhudlinwaswritingitcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughthoughthereweresomegoodmomentscoughcoughcough

Lol...OK. We are some dedicated and resilient mofos. I kept buying the issues to support Storm and HOPING (in vain) for a change, and just b%^&*ed to anyone who would listen about the endless sh%^stains on every page Hudlin dropped ink on.

When T'Challa yelled at her for knocking Doom on his a$$, I was ready to become one with the panel...merge with the art...and let Doom kill him. That was one of the most ridiculous displays of pride that I have EVER witnessed

LOL YES! I was so annoyed by that reaction. I am sure Hudlin must have regretted how much of the Storm fan's ire he got. He should have at least waited until he completely drew fans in on them as a couple before letting that happen on panel. Very bad move on his part. And the fact that he did so much damage to what was potentially the best damn coupling in the MU.

#35 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@White Mage said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@White Mage said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@StormyWeather said:

I'm a Storm fan, w/e Marvel chooses to do whether i like it or not honestly i'll read it if Storm is in the forefront......be honest Storm fans, you'll read it

True. She is the draw for me in pretty much any book she appears in (even when the wrting sucks).

coughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughsomuchoflbackpantherwasterriblewhenhudlinwaswritingitcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughthoughthereweresomegoodmomentscoughcoughcough

Lol...OK. We are some dedicated and resilient mofos. I kept buying the issues to support Storm and HOPING (in vain) for a change, and just b%^&*ed to anyone who would listen about the endless sh%^stains on every page Hudlin dropped ink on.

When T'Challa yelled at her for knocking Doom on his a$$, I was ready to become one with the panel...merge with the art...and let Doom kill him. That was one of the most ridiculous displays of pride that I have EVER witnessed

LOL YES! I was so annoyed by that reaction. I am sure Hudlin must have regretted how much of the Storm fan's ire he got. He should have at least waited until he completely drew fans in on them as a couple before letting that happen on panel. Very bad move on his part. And the fact that he did so much damage to what was potentially the best damn coupling in the MU.

And turned them into the blackest.....blackity black people in the Marvel Universe, WITHOUT involving Luke Cage?....................yeah, he moved out of that phase, but some TERRIBLE dialogue happened on panel that cannot be unseeeeeen...."You got me straight trippin boo" left T'Challa's lips FOR NO REASON...Hudlin just wanted us to know that he does listen to that kind of music....

#36 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (9895 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@White Mage said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@White Mage said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@StormyWeather said:

I'm a Storm fan, w/e Marvel chooses to do whether i like it or not honestly i'll read it if Storm is in the forefront......be honest Storm fans, you'll read it

True. She is the draw for me in pretty much any book she appears in (even when the wrting sucks).

coughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughsomuchoflbackpantherwasterriblewhenhudlinwaswritingitcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughthoughthereweresomegoodmomentscoughcoughcough

Lol...OK. We are some dedicated and resilient mofos. I kept buying the issues to support Storm and HOPING (in vain) for a change, and just b%^&*ed to anyone who would listen about the endless sh%^stains on every page Hudlin dropped ink on.

When T'Challa yelled at her for knocking Doom on his a$$, I was ready to become one with the panel...merge with the art...and let Doom kill him. That was one of the most ridiculous displays of pride that I have EVER witnessed

LOL YES! I was so annoyed by that reaction. I am sure Hudlin must have regretted how much of the Storm fan's ire he got. He should have at least waited until he completely drew fans in on them as a couple before letting that happen on panel. Very bad move on his part. And the fact that he did so much damage to what was potentially the best damn coupling in the MU.

And turned them into the blackest.....blackity black people in the Marvel Universe, WITHOUT involving Luke Cage?....................yeah, he moved out of that phase, but some TERRIBLE dialogue happened on panel that cannot be unseeeeeen...."You got me straight trippin boo" left T'Challa's lips FOR NO REASON...Hudlin just wanted us to know that he does listen to that kind of music....

Lol...Ugh these memories are painful. I hated the amount of focus he had on race. And to make Doom a racist??? After reading his books I would be like...

#37 Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage: what comic do u all speak of??????

#38 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@StormyWeather said:

@White Mage: what comic do u all speak of??????

Black Panther, back in the days when he and Storm were newly weds

#39 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30: ....................................Skrull MLK and Malcom X..................

#40 Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage: oh ok, do u kno which specifically? if my memory serves me, didn't Storm beat Doom wayyyy back when? in like the 70s comics?

#41 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@StormyWeather said:

@White Mage: oh ok, do u kno which specifically? if my memory serves me, didn't Storm beat Doom wayyyy back when? in like the 70s comics?

LOL that was a Doombot. lol Let's not start a riot

But it was Black Panther 19

#42 Posted by butterflykyss (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@White Mage said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@White Mage said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@White Mage said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@StormyWeather said:

I'm a Storm fan, w/e Marvel chooses to do whether i like it or not honestly i'll read it if Storm is in the forefront......be honest Storm fans, you'll read it

True. She is the draw for me in pretty much any book she appears in (even when the wrting sucks).

coughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughsomuchoflbackpantherwasterriblewhenhudlinwaswritingitcoughcoughcoughcoughcoughthoughthereweresomegoodmomentscoughcoughcough

Lol...OK. We are some dedicated and resilient mofos. I kept buying the issues to support Storm and HOPING (in vain) for a change, and just b%^&*ed to anyone who would listen about the endless sh%^stains on every page Hudlin dropped ink on.

When T'Challa yelled at her for knocking Doom on his a$$, I was ready to become one with the panel...merge with the art...and let Doom kill him. That was one of the most ridiculous displays of pride that I have EVER witnessed

LOL YES! I was so annoyed by that reaction. I am sure Hudlin must have regretted how much of the Storm fan's ire he got. He should have at least waited until he completely drew fans in on them as a couple before letting that happen on panel. Very bad move on his part. And the fact that he did so much damage to what was potentially the best damn coupling in the MU.

And turned them into the blackest.....blackity black people in the Marvel Universe, WITHOUT involving Luke Cage?....................yeah, he moved out of that phase, but some TERRIBLE dialogue happened on panel that cannot be unseeeeeen...."You got me straight trippin boo" left T'Challa's lips FOR NO REASON...Hudlin just wanted us to know that he does listen to that kind of music....

Lol...Ugh these memories are painful. I hated the amount of focus he had on race. And to make Doom a racist??? After reading his books I would be like...

Love the gif... and poor Hudlin... he can't catch a break lol

#43 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (9895 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss: I know lol...I guess I am still annoyed with him after all this time. I still give him his due for the few gems he gave us (Storm's grandparents/nephew, some good power feats, and nominating and defending Shuri to be the next BP, etc.) but he did some pretty heavy damage that outshines the little good we got, and I think that will resonate with Storm fans for YEARS. I saw him on TV in a photo posing with Jamie Foxx on one of Oprah's interview specials, and damn near through my remote THROUGH the TV screen lol. I'm still processin' :-P.

#44 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@butterflykyss: I know lol...I guess I am still annoyed with him after all this time. I still give him his due for the few gems he gave us (Storm's grandparents/nephew, some good power feats, and nominating and defending Shuri to be the next BP, etc.) but he did some pretty heavy damage that outshines the little good we got, and I think that will resonate with Storm fans for YEARS. I saw him on TV in a photo posing with Jamie Foxx on one of Oprah's interview specials, and damn near through my remote THROUGH the TV screen lol. I'm still processin' :-P.

PRINCE showed up to their wedding.........PRINCE

#45 Posted by butterflykyss (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@butterflykyss: I know lol...I guess I am still annoyed with him after all this time. I still give him his due for the few gems he gave us (Storm's grandparents/nephew, some good power feats, and nominating and defending Shuri to be the next BP, etc.) but he did some pretty heavy damage that outshines the little good we got, and I think that will resonate with Storm fans for YEARS. I saw him on TV in a photo posing with Jamie Foxx on one of Oprah's interview specials, and damn near through my remote THROUGH the TV screen lol. I'm still processin' :-P.

what are some of the things that he did that overshadowed all of the gems that you say he gave us storm fans? LOL at you throwing your remote and still processin.. I can't wait to hear about the damage he did, especially if you're still processing lol

@White Mage said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@butterflykyss: I know lol...I guess I am still annoyed with him after all this time. I still give him his due for the few gems he gave us (Storm's grandparents/nephew, some good power feats, and nominating and defending Shuri to be the next BP, etc.) but he did some pretty heavy damage that outshines the little good we got, and I think that will resonate with Storm fans for YEARS. I saw him on TV in a photo posing with Jamie Foxx on one of Oprah's interview specials, and damn near through my remote THROUGH the TV screen lol. I'm still processin' :-P.

PRINCE showed up to their wedding.........PRINCE

HEY!!! I like Prince... lol

#46 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (9895 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@butterflykyss: I know lol...I guess I am still annoyed with him after all this time. I still give him his due for the few gems he gave us (Storm's grandparents/nephew, some good power feats, and nominating and defending Shuri to be the next BP, etc.) but he did some pretty heavy damage that outshines the little good we got, and I think that will resonate with Storm fans for YEARS. I saw him on TV in a photo posing with Jamie Foxx on one of Oprah's interview specials, and damn near through my remote THROUGH the TV screen lol. I'm still processin' :-P.

PRINCE showed up to their wedding.........PRINCE

EXACTLY -__-...

@butterflykyss: A good example is what Mage indicated. I got the feeling that he was likely trying to make the BP book more appealing to the black comic audience, but I felt he went overboard with trying to "blackify" Storm and BP. Some of what he did was a bit extreme, and he didn't stay true to Storm's character and what she has accomplished befroe she was put under him. I mean *gets on soap box for a brief tirade*:

- Dr.Doom suddenly being a racist? A character who had a attraction to Storm (actually married her in an alternate universe) and one of the most respected villains in Marvel history, and Hudlin has him make a derogatory comment to Storm and BP???!!! I don't even recall Doom making a comment like that before. He may say and show he is superior to the protagonist, but I don't recall that coming from being superior because he is white :-/. With a villain like Doom that was so beyond unnecessary and really beneath someone of his intellect. If Hudlin wanted to go this route, which i really wouldn't recommend with major well known Marvel villains, he could have maybe went with the Red Skull. Or use some weak-sauce villain like Hate-Monger.

- BP scolded Storm for helping him when he was fighting and losing to Doom. Demeaningly YELLED at her. He was way too prideful in that instance and I was pretty much done with him at that moment. And Storm....she just looked hurt and just laughed it off -__-...

- He had Storm's father (or maybe both her parents I don't recall at the moment) connected with the Black Panther party. Not the biggest deal in the world but just came off as another frivolous attempt to "blackify" the book.

- He did a story arc centered on the 60's with skrulls mimicking black and white humans and having racial tension from back then. Storm got a good show here power-wsie but her characterization....not good -__-...

- Storm had no backbone when it came to BP. This is the head strong leader of the X-Men who's strong personality Wolverine respected, would stand up to anyone (Cyclops, Xavier, Magneto, the Panther Goddess herself, etc.), and has been shown to be a very competent and confident character....but when it came to T'Challa she didn't really have a mind of her own. She needed him to guide her in ways that, historically, she has been able to guide herself (i.e. - how to diplomatically negotiate with political figure -__-...). Hudlin completely overlooked the fact that Storm negotiated with UN officials to establish her XSE team. She knows how to be diplomatic and keep a cool head and be smart about her approach to get the end result she wants. His writing her down in what she has shown to be quite proficient in bugged me (and I am sure most fans) the MOST.

There is more but I am sure you get what I mean lol. *gets off soap box*

#47 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@butterflykyss: I know lol...I guess I am still annoyed with him after all this time. I still give him his due for the few gems he gave us (Storm's grandparents/nephew, some good power feats, and nominating and defending Shuri to be the next BP, etc.) but he did some pretty heavy damage that outshines the little good we got, and I think that will resonate with Storm fans for YEARS. I saw him on TV in a photo posing with Jamie Foxx on one of Oprah's interview specials, and damn near through my remote THROUGH the TV screen lol. I'm still processin' :-P.

what are some of the things that he did that overshadowed all of the gems that you say he gave us storm fans? LOL at you throwing your remote and still processin.. I can't wait to hear about the damage he did, especially if you're still processing lol

@White Mage said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@butterflykyss: I know lol...I guess I am still annoyed with him after all this time. I still give him his due for the few gems he gave us (Storm's grandparents/nephew, some good power feats, and nominating and defending Shuri to be the next BP, etc.) but he did some pretty heavy damage that outshines the little good we got, and I think that will resonate with Storm fans for YEARS. I saw him on TV in a photo posing with Jamie Foxx on one of Oprah's interview specials, and damn near through my remote THROUGH the TV screen lol. I'm still processin' :-P.

PRINCE showed up to their wedding.........PRINCE

HEY!!! I like Prince... lol

I do to, but that was some old bullsh*t

What legitimate wedding you know is going to have BET there at all?

That was a mess

#48 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@White Mage said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@butterflykyss: I know lol...I guess I am still annoyed with him after all this time. I still give him his due for the few gems he gave us (Storm's grandparents/nephew, some good power feats, and nominating and defending Shuri to be the next BP, etc.) but he did some pretty heavy damage that outshines the little good we got, and I think that will resonate with Storm fans for YEARS. I saw him on TV in a photo posing with Jamie Foxx on one of Oprah's interview specials, and damn near through my remote THROUGH the TV screen lol. I'm still processin' :-P.

PRINCE showed up to their wedding.........PRINCE

EXACTLY -__-...

@butterflykyss: A good example is what Mage indicated. I got the feeling that he was likely trying to make the BP book more appealing to the black comic audience, but I felt he went overboard with trying to "blackify" Storm and BP. Some of what he did was a bit extreme, and he didn't stay true to Storm's character and what she has accomplished befroe she was put under him. I mean *gets on soap box for a brief tirade*:

- Dr.Doom suddenly being a racist? A character who had a attraction to Storm (actually married her in an alternate universe) and one of the most respected villains in Marvel history, and Hudlin has him make a derogatory comment to Storm and BP???!!! I don't even recall Doom making a comment like that before. He may say and show he is superior to the protagonist, but I don't recall that coming from being superior because he is white :-/. With a villain like Doom that was so beyond unnecessary and really beneath someone of his intellect. If Hudlin wanted to go this route, which i really wouldn't recommend with major well known Marvel villains, he could have maybe went with the Red Skull. Or use some weak-sauce villain like Hate-Monger.

- BP scolded Storm for helping him when he was fighting and losing to Doom. Demeaningly YELLED at her. He was way too prideful in that instance and I was pretty much done with him at that moment. And Storm....she just looked hurt and just laughed it off -__-...

- He had Storm's father (or maybe both her parents I don't recall at the moment) connected with the Black Panther party. Not the biggest deal in the world but just came off as another frivolous attempt to "blackify" the book.

- He did a story arc centered on the 60's with skrulls mimicking black and white humans and having racial tension from back then. Storm got a good show here power-wsie but her characterization....not good -__-...

- Storm had no backbone when it came to BP. This is the head strong leader of the X-Men who's strong personality Wolverine respected, would stand up to anyone (Cyclops, Xavier, Magneto, the Panther Goddess herself, etc.), and has been shown to be a very competent and confident character....but when it came to T'Challa she didn't really have a mind of her own. She needed him to guide her in ways that, historically, she has been able to guide herself (i.e. - how to diplomatically negotiate with political figure -__-...). Hudlin completely overlooked the fact that Storm negotiated with UN officials to establish her XSE team. She knows how to be diplomatic and keep a cool head and be smart about her approach to get the end result she wants. His writing her down in what she has shown to be quite proficient in bugged me (and I am sure most fans) the MOST.

There is more but I am sure you get what I mean lol. *gets off soap box*

Until Dark Reign, this was literally his entire run

#49 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (9895 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage: Pretty much.

#50 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30: Don't forget when Shuri's potential rapist said "She needs a weave"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.