Follow

Storm

Character » Storm appears in 10183 issues.

Born to an American photo journalist and Kenyan princess, Ororo Munroe is one of the most recognizabe superheroines in the Marvel Universe. Using her unique ability to see and manipulate natural energy patterns of the universe to summon any type of weather phenomenon she desires in the blink of an eye, she is called Storm.

Storm is Marvel's Wonder Woman

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#251  Edited By JakeN7

@ItsDaveyJ said:

@JakeN7 said:

@ItsDaveyJ said:

But that won't happen as long as Marvel continues to do things like they are with adjective-less X-men. I couldn't even get through one issue. It's so poorly written and the art is pretty bad too.

I was talking about the new creative team behind adjectiveless X-men. You know, the one where she is now on a team with Iceman and whoever else.

Dude. Are you insane? WTF are you even talking about? Adjective-less X-Men isn't out 'til April and features an all female cast consisting of: Jubilee, Storm, Rachel Grey, Kitty Pride, Rogue and Psylocke (so no Iceman.) That's the book that Brian Wood is writing and Oliver Coipel is illustrating. The only book that features both Storm and Iceman that I can think of is All New X-Men. That's also the only one that you could've read already. That is being written by Brian Michael Bendis and has its 8th issue coming out this Wednesday. Is that what you were talking about? I honestly can't tell.

BTW: If that is what you're talking about, then I strongly disagree. All New X-Men is excellent.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=14846

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=15184

No I'm not insane. Calling me insane when you ain't got your facts straight xD

Oh ok. I thought you were talking about the Marvel NOW! series.

@Blood1991: Yeah, thanks. I misunderstood what he meant. I thought he was talking about the Marvel NOW! adjective-less X-Men. Especially when he started talking about Brian Wood. I was confused.

Avatar image for storm_ultimatebadass
    Storm_UltimateBadass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@butterflykyss said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

My point is that she doesn't have much solo success. A ride does get her a few outside of comics points though. From what I've heard, she was only an Avenger for a couple of issues, is this the case?

I don't think that more people knowing who she is makes her more popular. There's lots of people that everyone's heard of that they don't like.

I think we should stop trying to outdo each other, because we both seem to have different ideas of why each character is more popular, so we're never going to be able to come to an agreement. I think until there's some kind of clear way to tell who is more popular, we should agree that either of us could be right and leave it at that.

1.) Her solo minis have not been successful this is true. I can't argue against as numbers do not lie. And honestly I'm not sure how many issues. I picked up one and bendis did a HORRIBLE job with her and I vowed never to read another work by him ever.

2.) This is an accurate point, paris hilton comes to mind to support this.

3.) Yes indeed that's why I said I respectfully disagree with ur points. Both characters our good in their own right and I would like Ms. Marvel's solo series to be successful. I just would also like if marvel gave Storm a real chance at an on-going like Ms. Marvel.. Ideally a perfect would allow for both these women to have successful titles, but marvel suk at promoting their women... They are trying with Ms. Marvel so kudos to that.

I feel that as Marvel seem to be trying to promote their female characters a bit more, what with all-female groups and such, they may give Storm a go at some point. She seems like she might be the most popular female X-Men member, like Carol might be the most popular female Avenger, so it could happen.

If we could get an all-female Avengers series, with Captain Marvel in charge, to match the all-female X-Men which I think is led by Storm, with a Storm solo title, I think that would be the best for all of us.

That is an excellent post and i completely agree with that.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@butterflykyss said:

@King-Stranglehold da first said:

Why wasn't Ms Marvel on the list?

she was on the list

I didn't see her.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#254  Edited By Veitha

Nah, Captain Marvel or Sue Richards are Marvel's Wonder Woman

Avatar image for storm_ultimatebadass
    Storm_UltimateBadass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Veitha said:

Nah, Captain Marvel or Sue Richards are Marvel's Wonder Woman

Captain Marvel is shaping up to be a good contender for DC's Wonder Woman but no Marvel woman is on WW calibers she really is an icon. Its people that come close and at one point it could have Sue,but not anymore shes taking a back seat to be a mother and wife. Its not just about comic sells but who is most recognized, among other things. Its a numerous of things that can contribute to this. So its no one woman that can be WW. Because there are plenty of Marvel women if given the proper push and I do mean the proper push, could be on Icon status like WW, and this is coming from someone who loves Storm above every other female or male superhero.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#256  Edited By jhazzroucher

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@butterflykyss said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@butterflykyss said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@butterflykyss said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

And why has she never had an ongoing? Maybe Marvel don't think she's popular enough to have one.

That argument isn't relevant, as we're comparing Storm and Ms. Marvel, not who is the most popular Avenger.

It has nothing to do with her popularity because she clearly is popular. She's been featured on virtually every game, cartoon, and movie associated with the Xmen. The reason that storm does not have her own on-going, yet Ms. Marvel who is less popular than her, with her previous and current on-going having mediocre sales is because Storm is female and because she is black. Female characters have shown to not generate revenue for Marvel when given a solo, and Black males have shown to not generate revenue. Storm happens to be both female and black. If marvel pushed her, gave her interesting story, good writer, great artist and it flopped then you could compare Storm to Ms. marvel in the regards of on-goings. However, she hasn't had an on-going so basing MS. marvel to Storm on her mini-series, which many fans didn't like in the first place is not a fair comparison.

You all keep repeating yourself. She's in virtually every game, cartoon, and film associated with the X-Men,because she's a popular X-Men character, not because she's a popular character generally.

It's not like she's just any other character though. If she's really so popular and well known, surely she must have enough fans who would buy her series. If people avoid black female characters, but Storm is apparently more popular than Ms. Marvel despite this, then she would still have more fans who would buy it.

And if you don't want to compare them, then there's really nothing we can compare as far as I know. The only fair way to compare the two is to compare their solo popularity at roughly the same time. Can you think of another way of doing this?

1.) So based on this logic, every character that is featured on the xmen team would be equally popular, correct? Its not the individual character that a reader connects with but it is the fact that the character is on a team that is widely popular? If you are agreeing to those aforementioned points, then Armour should be as popular and Storm and vice versa. Gambit should be as popular as Wolverine and vice versa. I think you get my point, its not just a team that makes a character popular, its how they can connect with the average reader generates the popularity.

2.) Hmmm not necessarily. A lot of people who like Storm and who would go see her in a movie, or pick up a video game and play her in Marvel vs Capcom 3, isn't necessarily going to pick up a comic book. Furthermore, the majority of comic readers happen to be white and male, which is why most comics are dominated with white male characters, because the readers typically want to be able to identify to their superhero of choice. This was one main reason people had issue with Hudlin's writing of Storm after she married BP, because her characterization focused on her being black, her race, which turned a lot of readers off.

3.) How can you compare them based on solo popularity when Storm has never had a solo on-going that was pushed and marketed in a way that Ms. Marvel has for her titles. No spite against Ms. Marvel, she is a cool character, but based on overall exposure comics and outside comics included, Storm trumps her.

No, I'm saying she's in so many X-Men things because she's a popular X-Men character. Other characters will have appeared in less X-Men things, because they are less popular X-Men characters.

I'm using solo comic books as an example, as it's the only fair way I can think of to compare them, unless there was a solo game, film or whatever released for each character, at similar times.

Well as I said, if we can't compare the comics we have the ability to compare, because there hasn't been a solo Storm series, then I don't know what we can compare fairly. I have nothing against Storm, and yes she's had more exposure, but that doesn't mean she's more popular.

1.) I get you. But the fact that she is a popular X-men character and the Xmen are a popular team world-wide, this would demonstrate that she is in fact popular. She has her own ride at Six Flags. That said what about her appearing with the FF as a member, with the Avengers as a member all occuring within the past 10 years? She has exposure across the whole MU which makes her popular.

2.) But Storm hasn't had a solo ongoing to compare to Ms. Marvel. I will agree that Marvel is pushing her and hard. I think they want her to be their leading lady, and I understand why, but she just isn't on the level or popularity that Storm is. Ask people do they know who Storm is and ask if they know Ms. Marvel. I am sure you will find more who have heard of Storm just based on exposure outside of the comics.

3.) Fair enough... I don't agree with your argument because I do think that exposure especially when that exposure has generated large amounts of revenue directly relates to popularity. But I can respectfully disagree :) and btw i don't have anything against Ms. Marvel either, I used to play with her a lot on the first Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Her and Invisible Woman.

My point is that she doesn't have much solo success. A ride does get her a few outside of comics points though. From what I've heard, she was only an Avenger for a couple of issues, is this the case?

I don't think that more people knowing who she is makes her more popular. There's lots of people that everyone's heard of that they don't like.

I think we should stop trying to outdo each other, because we both seem to have different ideas of why each character is more popular, so we're never going to be able to come to an agreement. I think until there's some kind of clear way to tell who is more popular, we should agree that either of us could be right and leave it at that.

So what you're trying to say is that since Tick had his own ongoing, Spawn has his ongoing, Witchblade has her own ongoing, Morbius has his own ongoing, etc., that means they are more popular than Storm.

Sounds wrong to me.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@jhazzroucher said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@butterflykyss said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@butterflykyss said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@butterflykyss said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

And why has she never had an ongoing? Maybe Marvel don't think she's popular enough to have one.

That argument isn't relevant, as we're comparing Storm and Ms. Marvel, not who is the most popular Avenger.

It has nothing to do with her popularity because she clearly is popular. She's been featured on virtually every game, cartoon, and movie associated with the Xmen. The reason that storm does not have her own on-going, yet Ms. Marvel who is less popular than her, with her previous and current on-going having mediocre sales is because Storm is female and because she is black. Female characters have shown to not generate revenue for Marvel when given a solo, and Black males have shown to not generate revenue. Storm happens to be both female and black. If marvel pushed her, gave her interesting story, good writer, great artist and it flopped then you could compare Storm to Ms. marvel in the regards of on-goings. However, she hasn't had an on-going so basing MS. marvel to Storm on her mini-series, which many fans didn't like in the first place is not a fair comparison.

You all keep repeating yourself. She's in virtually every game, cartoon, and film associated with the X-Men,because she's a popular X-Men character, not because she's a popular character generally.

It's not like she's just any other character though. If she's really so popular and well known, surely she must have enough fans who would buy her series. If people avoid black female characters, but Storm is apparently more popular than Ms. Marvel despite this, then she would still have more fans who would buy it.

And if you don't want to compare them, then there's really nothing we can compare as far as I know. The only fair way to compare the two is to compare their solo popularity at roughly the same time. Can you think of another way of doing this?

1.) So based on this logic, every character that is featured on the xmen team would be equally popular, correct? Its not the individual character that a reader connects with but it is the fact that the character is on a team that is widely popular? If you are agreeing to those aforementioned points, then Armour should be as popular and Storm and vice versa. Gambit should be as popular as Wolverine and vice versa. I think you get my point, its not just a team that makes a character popular, its how they can connect with the average reader generates the popularity.

2.) Hmmm not necessarily. A lot of people who like Storm and who would go see her in a movie, or pick up a video game and play her in Marvel vs Capcom 3, isn't necessarily going to pick up a comic book. Furthermore, the majority of comic readers happen to be white and male, which is why most comics are dominated with white male characters, because the readers typically want to be able to identify to their superhero of choice. This was one main reason people had issue with Hudlin's writing of Storm after she married BP, because her characterization focused on her being black, her race, which turned a lot of readers off.

3.) How can you compare them based on solo popularity when Storm has never had a solo on-going that was pushed and marketed in a way that Ms. Marvel has for her titles. No spite against Ms. Marvel, she is a cool character, but based on overall exposure comics and outside comics included, Storm trumps her.

No, I'm saying she's in so many X-Men things because she's a popular X-Men character. Other characters will have appeared in less X-Men things, because they are less popular X-Men characters.

I'm using solo comic books as an example, as it's the only fair way I can think of to compare them, unless there was a solo game, film or whatever released for each character, at similar times.

Well as I said, if we can't compare the comics we have the ability to compare, because there hasn't been a solo Storm series, then I don't know what we can compare fairly. I have nothing against Storm, and yes she's had more exposure, but that doesn't mean she's more popular.

1.) I get you. But the fact that she is a popular X-men character and the Xmen are a popular team world-wide, this would demonstrate that she is in fact popular. She has her own ride at Six Flags. That said what about her appearing with the FF as a member, with the Avengers as a member all occuring within the past 10 years? She has exposure across the whole MU which makes her popular.

2.) But Storm hasn't had a solo ongoing to compare to Ms. Marvel. I will agree that Marvel is pushing her and hard. I think they want her to be their leading lady, and I understand why, but she just isn't on the level or popularity that Storm is. Ask people do they know who Storm is and ask if they know Ms. Marvel. I am sure you will find more who have heard of Storm just based on exposure outside of the comics.

3.) Fair enough... I don't agree with your argument because I do think that exposure especially when that exposure has generated large amounts of revenue directly relates to popularity. But I can respectfully disagree :) and btw i don't have anything against Ms. Marvel either, I used to play with her a lot on the first Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Her and Invisible Woman.

So what you're trying to say is that since Tick had his own ongoing, Spawn has his ongoing, Witchblade has her own ongoing, Morbius has his own ongoing, etc., that means they are more popular than Storm.

Sounds wrong to me.

No that's not what I'm saying.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By butterflykyss

@butterflykyss said:

Why wasn't Ms Marvel on the list?

she was on the list

I didn't see her.

she is listed as Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By jhazzroucher

@butterflykyss said:

so glad Storm, Jean and Rogue took the top 3 spots. : )

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By jhazzroucher

@ItsDaveyJ said:

@poisonfleur said:

@ItsDaveyJ said:

To be perfectly honest, I feel that currently Storm has the lead in popularity. BUT:

Storm, Ms. Marvel, and She-Hulk. I feel like any of these 3 characters could become the "female face" of Marvel IF Marvel really pushed and supported them. So really, we could be arguing between Ms. Marvel and Storm but then some lead executive who fanboys for She-Hulk approves of a massive budget and promotional campaign for her and then she become the "it girl" for Marvel and proves us all wrong.

Edit: But that won't happen as long as Marvel continues to do things like they are with adjective-less X-men. I couldn't even get through one issue. It's so poorly written and the art is pretty bad too. When Marvel decides to have Jim Cheung or Jim Lee or someone illustrate a Storm/Ms. Marvel/She-Hulk book then I'll change my tune. Same with a writer/inker/colorist/etc.

Have you lost your mind??? Brian Wood's Run is Brilliant! He portrays Storm with such mystery, mystique, and you never really know what she is thinking or what she is going to do next. What X-men title did you read?? Anything Blank Generation and after is GOOD. Ugh-- That time she threatened Colossus was intense. This is the voice her character has been needing for quite sometime now.

She-Hulk needs her dazzle back. Have her do the single ladies dance or something or go shopping with Xena. lol And Ms.Marvel... ugh.. just no. I CAN'T

I was talking about the new creative team behind adjectiveless X-men. You know, the one where she is now on a team with Iceman and whoever else. I liked Brian Woods run. He certainly writes a good Storm but I don't really like how... stern he makes her. Rather... she seems to lack motherly and empathetic qualities in his writing. But he certainly does a good job though.

do you prefer Yost over Wood?

Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By Stormultt

I love Diana but Storm does not need to be the Marvel equivalent of anyone.

She is STORM of Marvel, Marvel's premiere female.

She is simply THE BEST female in comics.

Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By Stormultt

@Walzo said:

Ms. Marvel should be Marvels Wonder Woman. Makes a lot more sense.

No, It does not.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By butterflykyss

@Stormultt said:

I can agree with this.

Walzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By Walzo

@Stormultt said:

@Walzo said:

No, It does not.

Why not? Storm is an X-men. She isn't known otherwise.

Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By Stormultt

@Walzo said:

@Stormultt said:

@Walzo said:

No, It does not.

Storm is known FIRMLY on sight by any non-comicbook fan.

White hair, Powers, Blue eyes. She is known from the X-men like Diana is from the Justice League.

It doesn't matter what team she is from, Her look is among the most iconic looks in all of comics.

Walzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By Walzo

@Stormultt said:

@Walzo said:

@Stormultt said:

@Walzo said:

No, It does not.

White hair, Powers, Blue eyes. She is known from the X-men like Diana is from the Justice League.

It doesn't matter what team she is from, Her look is among the most iconic looks in all of comics.

On sight, if someone was to say the name Storm everyone would be like, "Oh that girl from the XMEN!"

Storm is known as an X-men, not as her own person.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Stormultt said:

I love you! : )

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Walzo said:

@Stormultt said:

@Walzo said:

@Stormultt said:

@Walzo said:

No, It does not.

On sight, if someone was to say the name Storm everyone would be like, "Oh that girl from the XMEN!"

people knowing Storm is already a good thing. It doesn't really matter if people would ass she's from the x-men. That would actually mean they really know her.

Walzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By Walzo

@jhazzroucher said:

@Walzo said:

@Stormultt said:

@Walzo said:

@Stormultt said:

@Walzo said:

No, It does not.

people knowing Storm is already a good thing. It doesn't really matter if people would ass she's from the x-men. That would actually mean they really know her.

They KNOW HER because she's an XMEN.

Wonder Woman doesn't get get acknowledgement from the Justice League, she gets it because she's Wonder Woman.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Walzo said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Walzo said:

@Stormultt said:

@Walzo said:

@Stormultt said:

@Walzo said:

No, It does not.

Wonder Woman doesn't get get acknowledgement from the Justice League, she gets it because she's Wonder Woman.

but of course. WW started earlier than the JL team

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By jhazzroucher

but you can't deny that WW also became very popular because of being tagged to Batman and Superman

Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By Stormultt

@Walzo said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Walzo said:

@Stormultt said:

@Walzo said:

@Stormultt said:

@Walzo said:

No, It does not.

I mean even so, It STILL doesn't matter the origin these characters have.

It has NOTHING to do with that. Storm IS Marvel's flagship female just as Diana is DC's.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Stormultt said:

@Walzo said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Walzo said:

@Stormultt said:

@Walzo said:

@Stormultt said:

@Walzo said:

No, It does not.

I mean even so, It STILL doesn't matter the origin these characters have.

It has NOTHING to do with that. Storm IS Marvel's flagship female just as Diana is DC's.

I agree

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274  Edited By jhazzroucher

Storm is marvel's #1 superheroine

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By PassionFlower

Storm is my favorite character but I don't think she is Marvel's.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By PassionFlower

...honestly I think Marvel's is Carol or Black Widow or whomever they give the brightest spotlight. I will say DC seems to higher profile women though that may be changing a bit.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#277  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @jhazzroucher said:

but you can't deny that WW also became very popular because of being tagged to Batman and Superman

This isn't true. Ask any female who is old enough to remember when Wonder Woman was a fairly fresh idea, or watch the "The Secret Origin of DC". She became popular because she was the first character to represent the female gender. DC marketed a character specifically to a female audience and it worked. Wonder Woman is bigger than who she stands next to. Storm IS NOT.
    Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#278  Edited By SupremeHyperion

I'd say carol danvers is to be honest. as far as position in the marvel universe...

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SupremeHyperion said:

I'd say carol danvers is to be honest. as far as position in the marvel universe...

Yeah, I agree. I'd say Invisible Woman is Marvel's First Lady as a founding member of its' first superhero team, but Captain/Ms. Marvel is more akin to Wonder Woman in terms of solo titles and membership in a JL-like super team.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Vance Astro said:

@jhazzroucher said:

This isn't true. Ask any female who is old enough to remember when Wonder Woman was a fairly fresh idea, or watch the "The Secret Origin of DC". She became popular because she was the first character to represent the female gender. DC marketed a character specifically to a female audience and it worked. Wonder Woman is bigger than who she stands next to. Storm IS NOT.

It actually helped her. If WW wasn't part of the JLA team, which means she wouldn't have been i n the justice league cartoons too, then the less popular she could have been.

She could be just another Witchblade.

so saying Storm wouldn't be popular if she wasn't part of the x-men is also saying WW wouldn't be popular if she wasn't part of JLA.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @jhazzroucher said:

It actually helped her. If WW wasn't part of the JLA team, which means she wouldn't have been i n the justice league cartoons too, then the less popular she could have been.

You want Wonder Woman to be like Storm so bad, but she's not. Wonder Woman created her own buzz long before there was a Justice League cartoon. I'm not saying that being a member of the JLA didn't HELP but unlike as in regards to Storm, being linked to other characters isn't the SOLE reason she became popular. Wonder Woman was a popular comics character before Superfriends or the modern Justice League series ever came out. Those shows only helped her maintain her popularity.

@jhazzroucher said:

Oh you mean having one of the longest running comics of any female superhero?  Having her own television show & anime series? Being one of few comics from a small publisher that has survived over the years? What is this supposed to mean?

@jhazzroucher said:

so saying Storm wouldn't be popular if she wasn't part of the x-men is also saying WW wouldn't be popular if she wasn't part of JLA.

No, it isn't. You made that up.
    Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've tried to understand where all this is coming from, Storm was popular back in the 90's, a lot places don't have her ranked very high for 2000s. Even the X-men movies, she took mid-stage vs Jean and Rogue.

If I had to:

Jean Grey -> Wonder Woman

Jean does not seem as popular these days either, not sure Marvel has an equivalent, at best; Storm -> Black Canary

Ms Marvel is cool but seems like more of an upstart to me, for the longest time I only knew that 80s-90s rogue had her powers.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @drgnx said:
    Ms Marvel is cool but seems like more of an upstart to me, for the longest time I only knew that 80s-90s rogue had her powers.
    I think people are choosing Ms.Marvel as Marvel's Wonder Woman, not because of her popularity but because she was the first superheroine that Marvel really tried to push. I think she was meant to be to Marvel what Wonder Woman is to DC, they just never figured out a way to make it happen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro said:

@drgnx said:
    I think people are choosing Ms.Marvel as Marvel's Wonder Woman, not because of her popularity but because she was the first superheroine that Marvel really tried to push. I think she was meant to be to Marvel what Wonder Woman is to DC, they just never figured out a way to make it happen.

Ah, Okay.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Vance Astro said:

@jhazzroucher said:

WW had lots of exposure because of her membership to the JL team.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Vance Astro said:

@jhazzroucher said:

You want Wonder Woman to be like Storm so bad, but she's not. Wonder Woman created her own buzz long before there was a Justice League cartoon. I'm not saying that being a member of the JLA didn't HELP but unlike as in regards to Storm, being linked to other characters isn't the SOLE reason she became popular. Wonder Woman was a popular comics character before Superfriends or the modern Justice League series ever came out. Those shows only helped her maintain her popularity.

@jhazzroucher said:

Oh you mean having one of the longest running comics of any female superhero? Having her own television show & anime series? Being one of few comics from a small publisher that has survived over the years? What is this supposed to mean?

@jhazzroucher said:

No, it isn't. You made that up.

1. so what's keepin her exposed right now aside from her ongoing? she could have been absent for along on tv while if she wasn't in JL cartoons.

WW is popular before but wouldn't be as popular as right now if she wasn't part of the JL team. she would be just like Ms Marvel with her own and only ongoing.

2. one of the longest comics of any female superhero yeah but Storm has more appearances than her not only in comics.

3. yes it is

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @jhazzroucher said:

1. so what's keepin her exposed right now aside from her ongoing? she could have been absent for along on tv while if she wasn't in JL cartoons.

WW is popular before but wouldn't be as popular as right now if she wasn't part of the JL team. she would be just like Ms Marvel with her own and only ongoing.

2. one of the longest comics of any female superhero yeah but Storm has more appearances than her not only in comics.

3. yes it is

1.She doesn't need the exposure right now, she already made her impact. This is why you can't say the JLA cartoon is why Wonder Woman is popular. She's already popular and more iconic than every other female superhero. It's impossible for Wonder Woman to be anything like Ms.Marvel. She's too important to DC and they are too good at marketing female characters.

2.In reality Witchblade has done more than Storm. She comes out of a book published by a company smaller than Marvel or DC and without as much influence on the comics community and she was able to keep her comic going for longer than most female superheroes and get a television show and an anime OF HER OWN! This is what mattering looks like. Storm can't even pull this off at what may be the BIGGEST publisher of comics. So although Wonder Woman will never be Witchblade level, being at that level is no so bad for a female character.

3. No it isn't. She was already popular before that. She appeared in the show simply because she's a member. I anything that show may have kept her relevant, it's not the REASON why she has any popularity, again YOU made that up.

@jhazzroucher said:

We already knew who she was though. Ask anyone if they knew who Storm was before the 90's X-Men series came out.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @jhazzroucher said:

stop reaching.
    jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Vance Astro said:

@jhazzroucher said:

3. yes it is

1.She doesn't need the exposure right now, she already made her impact. This is why you can't say the JLA cartoon is why Wonder Woman is popular. She's already popular and more iconic than every other female superhero. It's impossible for Wonder Woman to be anything like Ms.Marvel. She's too important to DC and they are too good at marketing female characters.

2.In reality Witchblade has done more than Storm. She comes out of a book published by a company smaller than Marvel or DC and without as much influence on the comics community and she was able to keep her comic going for longer than most female superheroes and get a television show and an anime OF HER OWN! This is what mattering looks like. Storm can't even pull this off at what may be the BIGGEST publisher of comics. So although Wonder Woman will never be Witchblade level, being at that level is no so bad for a female character.

3. No it isn't. She was already popular before that. She appeared in the show simply because she's a member. I anything that show may have kept her relevant, it's not the REASON why she has any popularity, again YOU made that up.

@jhazzroucher said:

We already knew who she was though. Ask anyone if they knew who Storm was before the 90's X-Men series came out.

1. yes it is. Her being part of the JL team made her very very popular.

2. Witchblade who? she got the chance but she never got popular as Storm, not even near.

3. being part fof the team made her more popular.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @jhazzroucher said:

2. Witchblade who? she got the chance but she never got popular as Storm, not even near.

All of this is made up. I closed out this argument a post ago.
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher said:

@Vance Astro said:

@jhazzroucher said:

3. yes it is

@jhazzroucher said:

Being in the Justice League probably did make her more popular, but I think she was put in the Justice League because she already had a following of her own. Didn't they form the Justice League with the most popular characters of the day?

Storm didn't exist before appearing in X-Men comics, and has never had an ongoing solo series, so pretty much all of her popularity comes from X-Men appearances, therefore it's difficult to tell how many people really do like her. There is proper proof that people like Wonder Woman outside of The Justice League.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Didn't they form the Justice League with the most popular characters of the day?

So much this. Wonder Woman EARNED her spot on the team.
    jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Vance Astro said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Didn't they form the Justice League with the most popular characters of the day?

and as a team, they became more popular.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @jhazzroucher said:

But you're saying she wouldn't be popular without the team when she already was. How she or any other member of the JLA becoming more popular wasn't the argument.
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher said:

@Vance Astro said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

You've missed the point. Wonder Woman was already popular, which is why she got onto the team.

Earlier, you said, "so saying Storm wouldn't be popular if she wasn't part of the x-men is also saying WW wouldn't be popular if she wasn't part of JLA."

No-one would even know who Storm was without the X-Men, people already liked Wonder Woman before the Justice League.

stormivycarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By stormivycarter

well we all know that I think Storm is the Beyonce of Superhero World (female world)

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297  Edited By PassionFlower

@stormivycarter said:

well we all know that I think Storm is the Beyonce of Superhero World (female world)

Lol, I like that:)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

@butterflykyss said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@butterflykyss said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@Storm Calling said:

This is all the evidence you'll ever need. lol

POW! Lightning Lasso for the win :-)! ...and why do all these threads on Storm's page always explode lol...

Beautiful the Queen All Mighty Empress Mother doing what she does best... being fierce and making it look so d*mn easy. I wonder the same thing she is a hot button topic. I wonder what is bein said in Ms. Marvel's forum???

Oh gosh look at how cheap comics were back in the day lol

Apparently nothing....her forum continues to resemble a cemetery. And comics are so expensive... but I'm a sucker who apparently likes getting robbed :-P. At one point I was buying like 15 - 20 titles month and spending almost an average of $70 bucks/mo.

Ouch.. a cemetery... Maybe we can get some Marvel execs to go to her thread and promote her forum like they so desperately attempt to promote her on-going. If only they could promote all of their top female heroines in the same fashion they do Ms. Marvel. And $70/month on comics... OH HEEEEEEECK NO!!!!

LOL!!!

Yes lol! I am pretty insatiable with my x-books so I don't mind spending money if the bookas are worth it. Right now I am getting as much since I am dropped Gambit as of this past month, skimmed Legacy and will only pick it up if Storm is in it (and a non-jobber role worth reading), and All New is on the borderline of getting dropped from my pull list. And yeah Ms.Marvel's forum is constantly dead on here, Marvel.com, and CBR. She has a good size fan following but not as popular as Storm. I am glad that CBR did that review of popular comicbook heroines. It does make it clear that marketability plays a major factor in character pushes (and very obviously not just in a comic book), and it's good to see how the x-ladies, and Storm imparticular, did well across the board, and ranked on top over all. Looking at the February sales, Captain Marvel's book has fallen all the way to 110 on the list and is down to 18,359 sales as of last month, and is just on a steady decline.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300  Edited By jhazzroucher

@drgnx said:

I've tried to understand where all this is coming from, Storm was popular back in the 90's, a lot places don't have her ranked very high for 2000s. Even the X-men movies, she took mid-stage vs Jean and Rogue.

If I had to:

Jean Grey -> Wonder Woman

Jean does not seem as popular these days either, not sure Marvel has an equivalent, at best; Storm -> Black Canary

hello, even the writer of the article even felt the absence of WW in films.

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Vance Astro said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

You've missed the point. Wonder Woman was already popular, which is why she got onto the team.

Earlier, you said, "so saying Storm wouldn't be popular if she wasn't part of the x-men is also saying WW wouldn't be popular if she wasn't part of JLA."

No-one would even know who Storm was without the X-Men, people already liked Wonder Woman before the Justice League.

and the writer would have felt WW's absence too if WW wasn't in JL cartoon series.

I know WW has fans, but she wouldn't be as popular as she is right now if WW was only appearing on her own comics. so again, thanks to her JLA team as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.