Storm does NOT have an African Accent!!!

  • 132 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#101 Posted by jhazzroucher (16513 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss: But her accent would be affect by where she grew up, not where she was born.

True but the thing is her father was African American, meaning he would have had some northeastern dialect. However, she was so young that if she did pick up an american accent I would imagine it would have waned as she grew and was exposed to different cultures/languages.

It's like the Latinos/Mexicans that I used to go to class with. Ya'll may speak English, but I can hear your roots all up and through your vocal cords...................I love Mexican men........completely off-topic? Yes. Necessary? Yes again

Do you know you should come to LA, you would be in heaven! LOL

You ladies are man hungry!

im not a lady.. not sure about mage lol .. and yes i am hungry lol

<--------Not a lady....just a freak

nice lol

Then...where mah ladies at? D:

Scattered throughout the site........under rocks, I think

what??? lol you cray cray

what's the squabble all about?

i actually dont kno anymore POW

it's ok. : )

#102 Posted by butterflykyss (3966 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: thnks sir

#103 Posted by poisonfleur (3138 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crash_Recovery said:

@poisonfleur: Is Storm even African then?

Nice MCR default pic. And Technically Storm is from America and was stranded in Africa for many years. IMO, I would say she is considering her mother is African and Storm lived in Africa for good chunk of her life. Plus she has dual citizenship in Wakanda and USA... or at least she did.. :/

#104 Posted by Storm Calling (3650 posts) - - Show Bio

@poisonfleur said:

@Crash_Recovery said:

@poisonfleur: Is Storm even African then?

Nice MCR default pic. And Technically Storm is from America and was stranded in Africa for many years. IMO, I would say she is considering her mother is African and Storm lived in Africa for good chunk of her life. Plus she has dual citizenship in Wakanda and USA... or at least she did.. :/

That really is an iffy subject but I guess it is up to the way you consider it.

#105 Posted by poisonfleur (3138 posts) - - Show Bio

@Storm Calling said:

@poisonfleur said:

@Crash_Recovery said:

@poisonfleur: Is Storm even African then?

Nice MCR default pic. And Technically Storm is from America and was stranded in Africa for many years. IMO, I would say she is considering her mother is African and Storm lived in Africa for good chunk of her life. Plus she has dual citizenship in Wakanda and USA... or at least she did.. :/

That really is an iffy subject but I guess it is up to the way you consider it.

Pretty much^ Although for the most part, it's safe to say she is. Although technically she is an American citizen.

#106 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean, she's not even "technically" an American citizen if she was born here. That gets you citizen status.

Also, isn't it time to be a little more specific then to just say she is an "African citizen". Africa's a continent. That's like saying you're an Asian citizen or European citizen. Why do we always treat Africa so homogeneously.

#107 Posted by White Mage (18751 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crash_Recovery said:

I mean, she's not even "technically" an American citizen if she was born here. That gets you citizen status.

Also, isn't it time to be a little more specific then to just say she is an "African citizen". Africa's a continent. That's like saying you're an Asian citizen or European citizen. Why do we always treat Africa so homogeneously.

Because Africa isn't a continent. It's a country<---------------Ignorance is bliss j/k

#108 Posted by butterflykyss (3966 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crash_Recovery said:

I mean, she's not even "technically" an American citizen if she was born here. That gets you citizen status.

Also, isn't it time to be a little more specific then to just say she is an "African citizen". Africa's a continent. That's like saying you're an Asian citizen or European citizen. Why do we always treat Africa so homogeneously.

yea this would b nice but she techinically isnt a egyptian, kenyan, or even a wakandan now... she is an american citizen.. and they probably are not too specific with the actual country because she has been in so many parts of africa... so yea thats my two cents lol

#109 Posted by boob (363 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm was a baby when she moved to Egypt, and from my understanding lived in Egypt for at least 12. She then lived in a South African tribe up tell her early twenty's. So for me when Charles drafted her I think she would have sounded as a mixture of this: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsajklCYkDQ 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6wp-sOdKzY 
She has only came back to America for a short time (5-8 comic years?). Now my Grandmother lived in Germany until she was 19 years old (yes she is German). Then she moved to America where she lived for 12 years. She lived in many different parts of it as well. California, and different parts of the South. Then for 3 years she lived in London. After that my Grandfather retired from the American Army and they along with my father and uncle came back to California, and lived ever since. Yet through out this she has kept a hint of a German accent (no where near Nightcrawler's, or his sayings).  
Here is an interview with  Iman, 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IqILVxNV9E 
accents are much harder to get rid of then you think, in fact you will never completely lose it. And in comics they like to through it on much thicker. 

#110 Posted by White Mage (18751 posts) - - Show Bio

@boob said:

Storm was a baby when she moved to Egypt, and from my understanding lived in Egypt for at least 12. She then lived in a South African tribe up tell her early twenty's. So for me when Charles drafted her I think she would have sounded as a mixture of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsajklCYkDQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6wp-sOdKzY She has only came back to America for a short time (5-8 comic years?). Now my Grandmother lived in Germany until she was 19 years old (yes she is German). Then she moved to America where she lived for 12 years. She lived in many different parts of it as well. California, and different parts of the South. Then for 3 years she lived in London. After that my Grandfather retired from the American Army and they along with my father and uncle came back to California, and lived ever since. Yet through out this she has kept a hint of a German accent (no where near Nightcrawler's, or his sayings). Here is an interview with Iman, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IqILVxNV9E accents are much harder to get rid of then you think, in fact you will never completely lose it. And in comics they like to through it on much thicker.

I like em thick.lol

#111 Posted by jhazzroucher (16513 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@Crash_Recovery said:

I mean, she's not even "technically" an American citizen if she was born here. That gets you citizen status.

Also, isn't it time to be a little more specific then to just say she is an "African citizen". Africa's a continent. That's like saying you're an Asian citizen or European citizen. Why do we always treat Africa so homogeneously.

Because Africa isn't a continent. It's a country<---------------Ignorance is bliss j/k

She is a mixture of all races. She's black, white, yellow, brown, etc

#112 Posted by White Mage (18751 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@Crash_Recovery said:

I mean, she's not even "technically" an American citizen if she was born here. That gets you citizen status.

Also, isn't it time to be a little more specific then to just say she is an "African citizen". Africa's a continent. That's like saying you're an Asian citizen or European citizen. Why do we always treat Africa so homogeneously.

Because Africa isn't a continent. It's a country<---------------Ignorance is bliss j/k

She is a mixture of all races. She's black, white, yellow, brown, etc

This doesn't go with what you quoted, and NO THE HELL she is NOT

#113 Posted by jhazzroucher (16513 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@Crash_Recovery said:

I mean, she's not even "technically" an American citizen if she was born here. That gets you citizen status.

Also, isn't it time to be a little more specific then to just say she is an "African citizen". Africa's a continent. That's like saying you're an Asian citizen or European citizen. Why do we always treat Africa so homogeneously.

Because Africa isn't a continent. It's a country<---------------Ignorance is bliss j/k

She is a mixture of all races. She's black, white, yellow, brown, etc

This doesn't go with what you quoted, and NO THE HELL she is NOT

i'm ok with that.

#114 Posted by White Mage (18751 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@Crash_Recovery said:

I mean, she's not even "technically" an American citizen if she was born here. That gets you citizen status.

Also, isn't it time to be a little more specific then to just say she is an "African citizen". Africa's a continent. That's like saying you're an Asian citizen or European citizen. Why do we always treat Africa so homogeneously.

Because Africa isn't a continent. It's a country<---------------Ignorance is bliss j/k

She is a mixture of all races. She's black, white, yellow, brown, etc

This doesn't go with what you quoted, and NO THE HELL she is NOT

i'm ok with that.

Being wrong? You should be

#115 Posted by jhazzroucher (16513 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@Crash_Recovery said:

I mean, she's not even "technically" an American citizen if she was born here. That gets you citizen status.

Also, isn't it time to be a little more specific then to just say she is an "African citizen". Africa's a continent. That's like saying you're an Asian citizen or European citizen. Why do we always treat Africa so homogeneously.

Because Africa isn't a continent. It's a country<---------------Ignorance is bliss j/k

She is a mixture of all races. She's black, white, yellow, brown, etc

This doesn't go with what you quoted, and NO THE HELL she is NOT

i'm ok with that.

Being wrong? You should be

well, i think somebody said she is a mixture of all races

#116 Posted by White Mage (18751 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@Crash_Recovery said:

I mean, she's not even "technically" an American citizen if she was born here. That gets you citizen status.

Also, isn't it time to be a little more specific then to just say she is an "African citizen". Africa's a continent. That's like saying you're an Asian citizen or European citizen. Why do we always treat Africa so homogeneously.

Because Africa isn't a continent. It's a country<---------------Ignorance is bliss j/k

She is a mixture of all races. She's black, white, yellow, brown, etc

This doesn't go with what you quoted, and NO THE HELL she is NOT

i'm ok with that.

Being wrong? You should be

well, i think somebody said she is a mixture of all races

We already explained why that's misinterpreted...stop it

#117 Posted by jhazzroucher (16513 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@Crash_Recovery said:

I mean, she's not even "technically" an American citizen if she was born here. That gets you citizen status.

Also, isn't it time to be a little more specific then to just say she is an "African citizen". Africa's a continent. That's like saying you're an Asian citizen or European citizen. Why do we always treat Africa so homogeneously.

Because Africa isn't a continent. It's a country<---------------Ignorance is bliss j/k

She is a mixture of all races. She's black, white, yellow, brown, etc

This doesn't go with what you quoted, and NO THE HELL she is NOT

i'm ok with that.

Being wrong? You should be

well, i think somebody said she is a mixture of all races

We already explained why that's misinterpreted...stop it

ok.

#118 Posted by VampireSelektor (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@boob said:

Storm was a baby when she moved to Egypt, and from my understanding lived in Egypt for at least 12. She then lived in a South African tribe up tell her early twenty's. So for me when Charles drafted her I think she would have sounded as a mixture of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsajklCYkDQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6wp-sOdKzY She has only came back to America for a short time (5-8 comic years?). Now my Grandmother lived in Germany until she was 19 years old (yes she is German). Then she moved to America where she lived for 12 years. She lived in many different parts of it as well. California, and different parts of the South. Then for 3 years she lived in London. After that my Grandfather retired from the American Army and they along with my father and uncle came back to California, and lived ever since. Yet through out this she has kept a hint of a German accent (no where near Nightcrawler's, or his sayings). Here is an interview with Iman, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IqILVxNV9E accents are much harder to get rid of then you think, in fact you will never completely lose it. And in comics they like to through it on much thicker.

She lived with a Kenyan tribe in the Serengeti. I wouldn't be surprised if she spoke with a slight Kenyan accent.

#119 Posted by boob (363 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: Her mother is black. But her father is a bit tricky. We don't know his back story so we don't know when his ancesters came to America. If they came as slaves then the chances of him having some traces of white is very likly. As for other races it is posable since at some point they moved to New York and that is where a large portain of immagrints came to when comming to America. Now this is comics, so it is very possable that he is onlyAfrican American.

#120 Posted by God_Spawn (38396 posts) - - Show Bio

At least she wasn't Canadian with an Australian accent. Cha cha cha.

Moderator
#121 Posted by White Mage (18751 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

At least she wasn't Canadian with an Australian accent. Cha cha cha.

I REMEMBER THAT!!!

#122 Posted by poisonfleur (3138 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

At least she wasn't Canadian with an Australian accent. Cha cha cha.

I see what you did there! LOL

#123 Posted by PassionFlower (963 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

At least she wasn't Canadian with an Australian accent. Cha cha cha.

This :)

#124 Posted by Lordhuck (71 posts) - - Show Bio

She was born and lived in New York.   Then She moved with her parents to Cairo Egypt sometime before she turned 6 years old. 
  After her parents died she lived on the streets of Cairo as a thief.   
At some point she wandered into the Serengeti (Kenya) where she lived until she was a young woman.   
She was then taken by Xavier to the USA.   
 
It's perfectly plausible that Storm has a Global accent with North/central African Overtones.  I would say it's probable.  

#125 Posted by White Mage (18751 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lordhuck said:

She was born and lived in New York. Then She moved with her parents to Cairo Egypt sometime before she turned 6 years old. After her parents died she lived on the streets of Cairo as a thief. At some point she wandered into the Serengeti (Kenya) where she lived until she was a young woman. She was then taken by Xavier to the USA. It's perfectly plausible that Storm has a Global accent with North/central African Overtones. I would say it's probable.

They moved to Cairo when she was 6 months old. She's lived in Africa ever since.

#126 Posted by White Mage (18751 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lordhuck: But I do agree with the "global accent" part. She's dealt with different African languages and dialects since childhood, as well as David's voice, plus her American adventures with the X-Men

#127 Posted by Storm Calling (3650 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@Lordhuck: But I do agree with the "global accent" part. She's dealt with different African languages and dialects since childhood, as well as David's voice, plus her American adventures with the X-Men

If you really think about, Storm would be one of the hardest people to pinpoint exactly how she would sound. Just her voice alone requires a whole subject. lol

#128 Posted by White Mage (18751 posts) - - Show Bio

@Storm Calling said:

@White Mage said:

@Lordhuck: But I do agree with the "global accent" part. She's dealt with different African languages and dialects since childhood, as well as David's voice, plus her American adventures with the X-Men

If you really think about, Storm would be one of the hardest people to pinpoint exactly how she would sound. Just her voice alone requires a whole subject. lol

LOL I just know that she shouldn't sound like an American exactly. She should always have some kind of accent to her speech

#129 Posted by Storm Calling (3650 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage: I think it all has to do with how well she can coordinate speech. She may very well can sound like an American; however, I think for the sake of her being an African oriented character, it's only fair that she be given an accent when she is portrayed with a voice.

#130 Posted by butterflykyss (3966 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@Storm Calling said:

@White Mage said:

@Lordhuck: But I do agree with the "global accent" part. She's dealt with different African languages and dialects since childhood, as well as David's voice, plus her American adventures with the X-Men

If you really think about, Storm would be one of the hardest people to pinpoint exactly how she would sound. Just her voice alone requires a whole subject. lol

LOL I just know that she shouldn't sound like an American exactly. She should always have some kind of accent to her speech

I think i would b ok with her not having a thick african accent.. i guess it would make sense that she would have one however.

#131 Posted by White Mage (18751 posts) - - Show Bio

@Storm Calling said:

@White Mage: I think it all has to do with how well she can coordinate speech. She may very well can sound like an American; however, I think for the sake of her being an African oriented character, it's only fair that she be given an accent when she is portrayed with a voice.

I'd settle for ambiguity............never Americanity.................ambiguity seemed like it needed a rhyme..........so I provided one............it is awful, but it served its purpose

#132 Posted by White Mage (18751 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@Storm Calling said:

@White Mage said:

@Lordhuck: But I do agree with the "global accent" part. She's dealt with different African languages and dialects since childhood, as well as David's voice, plus her American adventures with the X-Men

If you really think about, Storm would be one of the hardest people to pinpoint exactly how she would sound. Just her voice alone requires a whole subject. lol

LOL I just know that she shouldn't sound like an American exactly. She should always have some kind of accent to her speech

I think i would b ok with her not having a thick african accent.. i guess it would make sense that she would have one however.

I prefer it thick and delicious, like the cinnamon roll I've yet to eat........but I can settle for cinnamon melts.............as long as there is an equal balance of cinnamon and icing.........

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.