Storm does NOT have an African Accent!!!

• 132 results
#51 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@PassionFlower said:

The thing about Storm is that I always felt in my head Africans thought her American and Americans thought her African giving her an otherness wherever she was.

Yeah, she never really belonged until she gained her powers. Zenja, her rival, frequently used her American birth against her, and she couldn't really argue against it. When she tried to combat by saying that her mother was an African Princess, I actually felt bad for her.

#52 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@PassionFlower said:

The thing about Storm is that I always felt in my head Africans thought her American and Americans thought her African giving her an otherness wherever she was.

Yeah, she never really belonged until she gained her powers. Zenja, her rival, frequently used her American birth against her, and she couldn't really argue against it. When she tried to combat by saying that her mother was an African Princess, I actually felt bad for her.

Even then, she never really belonged.lol She just gained a power that made her incredibly helpful.

#53 Posted by PassionFlower (960 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@White Mage said:

@PassionFlower said:

Even then, she never really belonged.lol She just gained a power that made her incredibly helpful.

Yes. And being considered a goddess while worshiped by some and feared by others still primarily set her apart.

#54 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@PassionFlower said:

@White Mage said:

@White Mage said:

@PassionFlower said:

Yes. And being considered a goddess while worshiped by some and feared by others still primarily set her apart.

And her powers were tied to her emotions, so she had to block off a lot of her own humanity for the sake of protecting the ones who looked up to her. The only person in her life who saw her humanity while she was very young, was Ainet......Storm's life honestly sucked

#55 Posted by PassionFlower (960 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@PassionFlower said:

@White Mage said:

@White Mage said:

@PassionFlower said:

And her powers were tied to her emotions, so she had to block off a lot of her own humanity for the sake of protecting the ones who looked up to her. The only person in her life who saw her humanity while she was very young, was Ainet......Storm's life honestly sucked

Exactly! And I love that tie to her emotions and abilities. She she has gained a strong measure of control but it still is there.

#56 Posted by DjBest02 (155 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@poisonfleur said:

Everyone has seen X-men TAS and has heard the marvelous & iconic voice acting for Storm.

Iconic?? I hated that depiction of Storm. She had to make a big production whenever she used her powers "I summon forth the gales of the great arctic winds of..." you know what I mean. The rest of the post was educational though

Hahaha those 'chants' always cracked me up, especially the fact that she took almost five minutes to summon a hurricane lol

@Blood1991 said:

@Icarusflies said:

@poisonfleur said:

Everyone has seen X-men TAS and has heard the marvelous & iconic voice acting for Storm.

But there is just one problem. Almost all people assume Storm has an African accent-- Which is completely false.

As we all know Storm was born in New York and eventually moved to Northern Africa. yada-- yada--- etc..

It is now my official headcanon that Storm has a New Yawk Accent.

I'm now imagining Storm sounding like Fran Drescher. Horrifying and hilarious.

I can only imagine her "Oooh Mr. Suuuummeeerrs..." lol

#57 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@PassionFlower said:

@White Mage said:

@PassionFlower said:

@White Mage said:

@White Mage said:

@PassionFlower said:

Exactly! And I love that tie to her emotions and abilities. She she has gained a strong measure of control but it still is there.

I think it's a huge tie to her empathy, more than her actual psionic control. I love it.lol

#58 Posted by jhazzroucher (16166 posts) - - Show Bio

Her current accent may have been influenced from Egypt

#59 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

Egypt and Kenya should've been huge influences on her voice, as well as English. I'm fine with them giving her an accent, but I'm not ok with something that's just American

#60 Posted by jhazzroucher (16166 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

Egypt and Kenya should've been huge influences on her voice, as well as English. I'm fine with them giving her an accent, but I'm not ok with something that's just American

I want Storm to say "Yo!" hehehe : )

#61 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

Adult Storm? No. Young Storm? possibly

#62 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10660 posts) - - Show Bio

@poisonfleur said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@poisonfleur: Yup :-). My mom was born in St. Phillips but lived and grew up in St. Michaels Barbados. My dad is Czech/American. I loved Alison's her voice work for Storm. And of course Iona's as well. I wasn't that crazy about Debra's work on the Wolverine video game, but it wasn't too bad.

Debra Wilson should be shot in the face for that HORRIBLE-- HORRIBLE voice acting.... I award her no points...

Lol....I was trying to be a little kind since I like her in comedy shows (especially her Oprah impression) but yeah...the real deal is that her Storm voice was rather awful.

#63 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@poisonfleur said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@poisonfleur: Yup :-). My mom was born in St. Phillips but lived and grew up in St. Michaels Barbados. My dad is Czech/American. I loved Alison's her voice work for Storm. And of course Iona's as well. I wasn't that crazy about Debra's work on the Wolverine video game, but it wasn't too bad.

Debra Wilson should be shot in the face for that HORRIBLE-- HORRIBLE voice acting.... I award her no points...

Lol....I was trying to be a little kind since I like her in comedy shows (especially her Oprah impression) but yeah...the real deal is that her Storm voice was rather awful.

It was worse than Halle Berry's.......cause she was trying to imitate Halle Berry.lol

#64 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10660 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage: Lol

#65 Posted by By_the_power (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm's accent in general is not something easy to make up:

• Her parents were Kenyan:Many africans, who live in America sometimes speak their native tongue at home. They speak English and Swahili in Kenya mostly
  • She lived in NY: we know how new yorkers sound
  • She grew up in Egypt: where the official language is Arabic

Blend that all together Kenyan, American, New York, Arabic, Swahili...

WHO THE HELL KNOWS WHAT YOU GET! lol

#66 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@By_the_power said:

• Her parents were Kenyan:Many africans, who live in America sometimes speak their native tongue at home. They speak English and Swahili in Kenya mostly

Not American, that's for sure.lol

#67 Posted by Storm Calling (3613 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@poisonfleur said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

It was worse than Halle Berry's.......cause she was trying to imitate Halle Berry.lol

Was going to say that. lol

Debra was trying to do Halle's Storm voice, which is an imitation of a bad imitation. Which is a total epic fail from the beginning.

#68 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@Storm Calling said:

@White Mage said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@poisonfleur said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

Was going to say that. lol

Debra was trying to do Halle's Storm voice, which is an imitation of a bad imitation. Which is a total epic fail from the beginning.

LMAO Your wording is wonderful as usual.lol

#69 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

sure she does.

#70 Edited by Storm Calling (3613 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage: Thanks, and ditto to you.

@By_the_power said:

Some official things about the languages Storm speak.

David was born in Harlem New York and was a photojournalist who did alot of traveling; Therefore, I don't believe he was Kenyan.

N'Dare spoke both English and Swahili, it's more than likely that David was accustomed to Swahili, considering he seemed to do alot of traveling. But It's possible that he lacked fluency in the language and just communicated with N'Dare through English alone.

Storm speaks English, Swahili(Uncanny Origins #9), and Arabic(confirmed in Uncanny X-men #255) before she joined the X-men. If she learned English and Swahili first, then it is possible that she acquired a Kenyan accent early on before she was taught Arabic by Achmed after her parents were killed. I question it because of Storm's heightened level of coordination. She could understand the words from her parents at the age of 6 months old. Accents from others can rub off onto the people around you, so it could be that she has a mixture of these accents altogether...

#71 Posted by windcaster (228 posts) - - Show Bio

@Storm Calling said:

@White Mage: Thanks, and ditto to you.

@By_the_power said:

Some official things about the languages Storm speak.

David was born in Harlem New York and was a photojournalist who did alot of traveling; Therefore, I don't believe he was Kenyan.

N'Dare spoke both English and Swahili, it's more than likely that David was accustomed to Swahili, considering he seemed to do alot of traveling. But It's possible that he lacked fluency in the language and just communicated with N'Dare through English alone.

Storm speaks English, Swahili(Uncanny Origins #9), and Arabic(confirmed in Uncanny X-men #255) before she joined the X-men. If she learned English and Swahili first, then it is possible that she acquired a Kenyan accent early on before she was taught Arabic by Achmed after her parents were killed. I question it because of Storm's heightened level of coordination. She could understand the words from her parents at the age of 6 months old. Accents from others can rub off onto the people around you, so it could be that she has a mixture of these accents altogether...

That is true.

#72 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

When in doubt, go British. It's very practical.

#73 Posted by UltraBiel (328 posts) - - Show Bio

She should have much of African accent. Even adult people that go to another country gat some accent, so it would be illogical if her english had american accent. Also, she spent almost all her childhood and teenage life in Africa.

If she doesn't she should some african accent.

#74 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@UltraBiel said:

She should have much of African accent. Even adult people that go to another country gat some accent, so it would be illogical if her english had american accent. Also, she spent almost all her childhood and teenage life in Africa.

If she doesn't she should some african accent.

Agreed

#75 Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@PassionFlower: yeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssss

#76 Posted by poisonfleur (3071 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

Adult Storm? No. Young Storm? possibly

Heaven please.... I couldn't stand Storm in the anime when she said 'I got this.'

Storm is way to regal and in command to act even mildly street.

#77 Posted by PassionFlower (960 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

When in doubt, go British. It's very practical.

Why does Caesar always sound British?

#78 Posted by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss: But her accent would be affect by where she grew up, not where she was born.

True but the thing is her father was African American, meaning he would have had some northeastern dialect. However, she was so young that if she did pick up an american accent I would imagine it would have waned as she grew and was exposed to different cultures/languages.

#79 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss: But her accent would be affect by where she grew up, not where she was born.

True but the thing is her father was African American, meaning he would have had some northeastern dialect. However, she was so young that if she did pick up an american accent I would imagine it would have waned as she grew and was exposed to different cultures/languages.

It's like the Latinos/Mexicans that I used to go to class with. Ya'll may speak English, but I can hear your roots all up and through your vocal cords...................I love Mexican men........completely off-topic? Yes. Necessary? Yes again

#80 Posted by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

It's like the Latinos/Mexicans that I used to go to class with. Ya'll may speak English, but I can hear your roots all up and through your vocal cords...................I love Mexican men........completely off-topic? Yes. Necessary? Yes again

Do you know you should come to LA, you would be in heaven! LOL

#81 Posted by Teerack (7085 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

You ladies are man hungry!

#82 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

........................................Someday.lol

#83 Posted by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

im not a lady.. not sure about mage lol .. and yes i am hungry lol

#84 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

<--------Not a lady....just a freak

#85 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@poisonfleur: Is Storm even African then?

#86 Posted by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

nice lol

#87 Posted by Teerack (7085 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

nice lol

Then...where mah ladies at? D:

#88 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

nice lol

Scattered throughout the site........under rocks, I think

#89 Posted by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

nice lol

what??? lol you cray cray

#90 Posted by jhazzroucher (16166 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

nice lol

what's the squabble all about?

#91 Posted by jhazzroucher (16166 posts) - - Show Bio

The accent that i prefer Storm to really have is from x-men TAS

#92 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

nice lol

It happens.lol

#93 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

It doesn't sound natural in this day and age

#94 Posted by jhazzroucher (16166 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

it doesn't matter

#95 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

it doesn't matter

Like hell it doesn't. She'd be a joke

#96 Posted by jhazzroucher (16166 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

it doesn't matter

for you but not for me. : )

#97 Posted by jhazzroucher (16166 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

it doesn't matter

but i think Tyra's voice is enough

#98 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

it doesn't matter

This is why I'd never see your movie

#99 Posted by jhazzroucher (16166 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

it doesn't matter

This is why I'd never see your movie

lol. : )

#100 Posted by butterflykyss (3919 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

@butterflykyss said:

@White Mage said:

@butterflykyss said:

@Teerack said:

nice lol

what's the squabble all about?

i actually dont kno anymore POW

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.