Follow

Storm

Character » Storm appears in 10183 issues.

Born to an American photo journalist and Kenyan princess, Ororo Munroe is one of the most recognizabe superheroines in the Marvel Universe. Using her unique ability to see and manipulate natural energy patterns of the universe to summon any type of weather phenomenon she desires in the blink of an eye, she is called Storm.

questions for Storm fans

BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BloodTalon

If you have not read Amazing X-men yet there will be some spoilers ok.

First do you think her powers should have worked in Hell? IMO that would be a yes. I did not like that.

Secondly because of the bad choise above I have to ask how weak do you think demons are? Now don't get me wrong I am not trying to undercut Storms H2H prowess but I say no way and it is not just storm I say any normal human would not stand a chance.

Just want to hear what you think?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

First do you think her powers should have worked in Hell? IMO that would be a yes. I did not like that.

Secondly because of the bad choise above I have to ask how weak do you think demons are? Now don't get me wrong I am not trying to undercut Storms H2H prowess but I say no way and it is not just storm I say any normal human would not stand a chance.

I believe her powers should work there considering that Iceman can. Iceman was also melting, which means there is heat which Storm can also manipulate. They also can breathe so that means there is air that she can control.

As to the h2h combat, it wasn't a surprise already because I've seen a very past issue before that powerless Storm was fighting against demon-like creatures. Storm also defeated a huge monster in astonishing x-men without using her powers.

BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: first thank you everything you said about why she should have her powers are the same arguments I used in this debate at my work.

On the other I would just like to say that "demon like" and actual demons to me are 2 things. I consider demons to be supernatural things and a lot tougher than what a normal human could beat. Now I will stop there and concede that I seem to be alone on this oh well.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By butterflykyss

@bloodtalon said:

1.) Her powers should have been able to work in Hell if Iceman was able to utilized his powers. Aaron clearly doesn't understand how her powers operate as he wrote her to say that since there was no weather she therefore had no abilities. Well if we look at canon and how her powers have been described as functioning, she has always been described as being able to manipulate the energy patters that govern the weather. This understanding grew which allowed her to control aspects of energy beyond just the weather:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Additionally, if the X-men were breathing she should have been able to manipulate the air molecules or create some gust of wind. If there is moisture in the environment (which there is as ice was able to created by Iceman), Storm should have been able to manipulate this as well.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

2.) To your second point, I think people generally forget how experienced Storm is when it comes to H2H which was heavily displayed when she initially lost her powers back in the 80s. I think, as indicated by Iceman and Firestar's fear that the demons were a threat of some sort. As far as their strength, I am not sure one can say, but she has fought demons before without her powers.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

I think her powers, which quite a few fans have noted and commented about, should have worked. She can generate lightning through her mutant metabolism, so that should be available to her in most circumstances, and if there is air, moisture, EM energy (since that is the source of Firestar's powers), of natural or mystical origin, present in the atmosphere, then her powers should have worked in some capacity.

I think the writer has a preference to demonstrate Storm's other talents, so he chose to neutralize her powers so she could use her other skills. It's not a big deal for me really, since I love seeing Storm getting a chance to, which doesn't happen often enough these days, display her skills (i.e. - H2H combat, leadership, tactical use of her environment, thievery, lock-picking, escape artistry, weapons, etc.).

And Aaron has done this pretty consistently. In BP Secret Invasion Storm's powers would have murdered the skrull invaders (who had their tech neutralized by EMP so they were stuck with standard weapons) but Aaron had her "stick to the plan", which had all of the wakandans, Storm, and the Black Panther fighting with swords. In AvX Vs BP had satellites that neutralized her powers, despite the fact that she has other applications she could have still used, so she was fighting him H2H. And he hasn't really done anything with her powers besides lightning a couple of times since she has been in WatX, so I don't get the impression that Aaron has much interest in exploring Storm's elemental abilities, and is more interested in the other skills. As long as he writes her as a strong and capable leader who has many talents besides her powers to bring to bear I'll be open to his take on Ororo.

With respect to her H2H skills and easily defeating these demons these aren't even the first demons Storm has defeated using H2H combat. Armed with just a knife Storm tore through a large horde of demons on her own. And she has fought multiple opponents with physicality superior to hers (Marrow - enhanced human, Callisto - enhanced human, Crimson Commando, - Peak human, Khan - at least peak human, Nighteyes - a vampire, etc.) and she has either held her own or flat out defeated them. She is one of the best H2H/armed combat fighters in the X-Men. I am glad Aaron is making a note of that.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think her powers, which quite a few fans have noted and commented about, should have worked. She can generate lightning through her mutant metabolism, so that should be available to her in most circumstances, and if there is air, moisture, EM energy (since that is the source of Firestar's powers), of natural or mystical origin, present in the atmosphere, then her powers should have worked in some capacity.

I think the writer has a preference to demonstrate Storm's other talents, so he chose to neutralize her powers so she could use her other skills. It's not a big deal for me really, since I love seeing Storm getting a chance to, which doesn't happen often enough these days, display her skills (i.e. - H2H combat, leadership, tactical use of her environment, thievery, lock-picking, escape artistry, weapons, etc.).

And Aaron has done this pretty consistently. In BP Secret Invasion Storm's powers would have murdered the skrull invaders (who had their tech neutralized by EMP so they were stuck with standard weapons) but Aaron had her "stick to the plan", which had all of the wakandans, Storm, and the Black Panther fighting with swords. In AvX Vs BP had satellites that neutralized her powers, despite the fact that she has other applications she could have still used, so she was fighting him H2H. And he hasn't really done anything with her powers besides lightning a couple of times since she has been in WatX, so I don't get the impression that Aaron has much interest in exploring Storm's elemental abilities, and is more interested in the other skills. As long as he writes her as a strong and capable leader who has many talents besides her powers to bring to bear I'll be open to his take on Ororo.

With respect to her H2H skills and easily defeating these demons these aren't even the first demons Storm has defeated using H2H combat. Armed with just a knife Storm tore through a large horde of demons on her own. And she has fought multiple opponents with physicality superior to hers (Marrow - enhanced human, Callisto - enhanced human, Crimson Commando, - Peak human, Khan - at least peak human, Nighteyes - a vampire, etc.) and she has either held her own or flat out defeated them. She is one of the best H2H/armed combat fighters in the X-Men. I am glad Aaron is making a note of that.

Hi Thunder! Awesome post as usual, and may I say I'm glad to see you back. I agree with all of your points. I am glad that Aaron is showcasing her other abilities. My only gripe is that his inaccurate portrayals of how her work operate perpetuate an flawed idea that she needs "weather" for her powers to operate to a new crop of X-readers. We know this isn't true, but those who aren't not familiar with her powerset see this and take it as gospel. In fact today a CV poster had just commented on how Storm needs weather to operate her power. This is the problem, and its these small things that influence how the character is shown or portrayed in the future in not only comics, but television and movie adaptations. So yes I don't mind him neutralizing her abilities, but not in a way that does not promote the accurate portrayal of her.

For instance, the fact that they are in Hell (which is a supernatural realm) could have been the reason her powers did not work, which would have been fine. However, to say there is no weather and she therefore can't use her powers was just silly to me.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

@thunderbolt30 said:

Hi Thunder! Awesome post as usual, and may I say I'm glad to see you back. I agree with all of your points. I am glad that Aaron is showcasing her other abilities. My only gripe is that his inaccurate portrayals of how her work operate perpetuate an flawed idea that she needs "weather" for her powers to operate to a new crop of X-readers. We know this isn't true, but those who aren't not familiar with her powerset see this and take it as gospel. In fact today a CV poster had just commented on how Storm needs weather to operate her power. This is the problem, and its these small things that influence how the character is shown or portrayed in the future in not only comics, but television and movie adaptations. So yes I don't mind him neutralizing her abilities, but not in a way that does not promote the accurate portrayal of her.

For instance, the fact that they are in Hell (which is a supernatural realm) could have been the reason her powers did not work, which would have been fine. However, to say there is no weather and she therefore can't use her powers was just silly to me.

Thanks Kyss:-). I agree and your point is true. Readers who are not familiar with her history will make inaccurate assumptions about her powers. Some people still feel that her being able to use her powers in space is still PIS (irrespective of the consistency established in continuity) and we end up in all kinds of unwanted discussions to prove otherwise. Some even still feel she should not be able to change the state of moisture or control the air in a targets lungs directly) simply because they don't think that her weather manipulation should include any degree of direct control over the elements or refined enough control. I even had someone question how she can generate lightning and beam it through her hands but is not immune to it has also been questioned.

I guess I am a bit used to it to an extent since Aaron is the 2nd or 3rd writer I have read that has made this mistake. I recall Hudlin also did the same thing when Storm went to Attilan with BP and ended up fighting Gorgon and Crystal. He had Storm state her powers don't work in space, which is just his limited understanding of her powers.

Aaron definitely should have provided a more plausible reason for why her powers didn't work vs the PIS explanation that he gave, but we can easily prove otherwise. You have already given some examples and explanation. Besides space, being inside buildings or being deep underground where weather patterns do not naturally exist she has still used her powers to varying degrees of effectiveness. She has also manipulated the magical hurricane in another version of Hell before and conjured lightning, and in the COTM one-shot with Gambit Storm still manipulated the air and moisture levels in the atmosphere to hide their scents from the vampires, and could still conjure lightning despite the fact that the atmosphere and the island itself was all created from dark magic (no weather patterns needed for her powers to work).

For me Aaron's work with Storm in Amazing was a nice leap from what we had been getting from her in Watx and BotA. She was a fierce and courageous leader in spite of the opposition, she kicked some a$$, with a mace no less :-), and proved that she is force to be reckoned with even without her powers.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butterflykyss said:

@thunderbolt30 said:

Thanks Kyss:-). I agree and your point is true. Readers who are not familiar with her history will make inaccurate assumptions about her powers. Some people still feel that her being able to use her powers in space is still PIS (irrespective of the consistency established in continuity) and we end up in all kinds of unwanted discussions to prove otherwise. Some even still feel she should not be able to change the state of moisture or control the air in a targets lungs directly) simply because they don't think that her weather manipulation should include any degree of direct control over the elements or refined enough control. I even had someone question how she can generate lightning and beam it through her hands but is not immune to it has also been questioned.

I guess I am a bit used to it to an extent since Aaron is the 2nd or 3rd writer I have read that has made this mistake. I recall Hudlin also did the same thing when Storm went to Attilan with BP and ended up fighting Gorgon and Crystal. He had Storm state her powers don't work in space, which is just his limited understanding of her powers.

Aaron definitely should have provided a more plausible reason for why her powers didn't work vs the PIS explanation that he gave, but we can easily prove otherwise. You have already given some examples and explanation. Besides space, being inside buildings or being deep underground where weather patterns do not naturally exist she has still used her powers to varying degrees of effectiveness. She has also manipulated the magical hurricane in another version of Hell before and conjured lightning, and in the COTM one-shot with Gambit Storm still manipulated the air and moisture levels in the atmosphere to hide their scents from the vampires, and could still conjure lightning despite the fact that the atmosphere and the island itself was all created from dark magic (no weather patterns needed for her powers to work).

For me Aaron's work with Storm in Amazing was a nice leap from what we had been getting from her in Watx and BotA. She was a fierce and courageous leader in spite of the opposition, she kicked some a$$, with a mace no less :-), and proved that she is force to be reckoned with even without her powers.

I LOVE YOU!!!!! That is all!!! LOL... I totally agree.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think what @bloodtalon:is trying to say is that Storm is normal human and is not considered having peak human condition. And her fighting style is just not something that could hit her opponent hard. She doesn't do nerve strikes I think and if she did before, she didn't use it when she fought the monster in astonishing x-men or the demons in amazing x-men.

Storm should be considered having peak human condition.

Storm Calling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Storm Calling

@jhazzroucher: Her strength may not be peak, but she's exceptionally physically strong for a human(not just for a female) and has been shown capable enough to physically pummel and bash opponents much bigger than her with it in the past.

BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: yes that is basically what I am saying but also this was in Hell and fighting a demon on earth and fighting a demon in Hell are 2 vastly different things.

I just want to say again that I am not trying to bash Storm's H2H skill. To me it is not a question of skill because I think that Storm is more skilled than the average demon but a question of can she hurt them and I just don't think she can.

Thank you all for your input.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: Her strength may not be peak, but she's exceptionally physically strong for a human(not just for a female) and has been shown capable enough to physically pummel and bash opponents much bigger than her with it in the past.

Why wouldn't she be at peak human condition when she has beaten mutants/monsters who are stronger and faster than a human with human peak condition.?

@jhazzroucher: yes that is basically what I am saying but also this was in Hell and fighting a demon on earth and fighting a demon in Hell are 2 vastly different things.

I just want to say again that I am not trying to bash Storm's H2H skill. To me it is not a question of skill because I think that Storm is more skilled than the average demon but a question of can she hurt them and I just don't think she can.

True unless Marvel officially declares that Storm has peak human condition. Black Widow has peak human condition so why can't they say that Storm has it too?

BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: Let me clarify I don't think peak human strength alone should be able to hurt demons no matter who it is Storm, Black Widow or any other peak human they all should need equipment of some kind, powers or some other cool plot device.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jhazzroucher

@jhazzroucher: Let me clarify I don't think peak human strength alone should be able to hurt demons no matter who it is Storm, Black Widow or any other peak human they all should need equipment of some kind, powers or some other cool plot device.

Captain America has human peak condition yet he can beat enemies stronger and faster than him. same goes to Black Panther

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

If this is about physical durability then I think it really depends on the opponent. We assume that these demons are physically superior to a level that is beyond Storm or any other skilled human fighter to be able to damage, and that may not be the case in many instances. The demons may just look physically superior, and very well are in some cases and probably to varying degrees, but may not be to a level that is beyond getting physically damaged by an opponent with human level strength range. Though I do understand the perception.

I think what BT is trying to say is that Storm is normal human and is not considered having peak human condition. And her fighting style is just not something that could hit her opponent hard. She doesn't do nerve strikes I think and if she did before, she didn't use it when she fought the monster in astonishing x-men or the demons in amazing x-men.

Storm should be considered having peak human condition.

I don't think she needs to be peak human TBH, though that would be cool. I know that she has physical attributes that are unique to her bloodline and are not part of her mutation, and that includes above normal night vision (with her feline-esque irises), and above normal reflexes, balance, and coordination. And her striking force has broken the jaws and bones of both normal and peak human level opponents. I can understand why some may feel she should not be able to do this level of damage, but the assumption has no real basis IMO. She has done it consistently enough in continuity for it to be valid. And besides that she isn't the only one who has done this.

Storm Calling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Storm Calling

Understandable, but this isn't based off anything we've seen from those specific demons in the past. From what I can tell, alot of them were human level threats in terms of physical strength and Nightcrawler was pretty much doing the same in the earlier part of the issue. I can understand if those specific demons were shown being physically superior, but in this case you are making the assumption that they are, and therefore believe that Storm being able to combat them in physical combat is implausible.

In truth, if these were real spirit demons, I don't see how she would be able to affect them at all with physical force. I don't believe this representation of the heaven and hell planes are the actual places. It's most like a ripoff like the one Nightcrawler was put in before.

Storm Calling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@storm_calling said:

Why wouldn't she be at peak human condition when she has beaten mutants/monsters who are stronger and faster than a human with human peak condition.?

Well personally from what I've seen, I think she's around that area, but it has yet to be confirmed.

BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@storm_calling: well Nightcrawler is half demon so there is that going for him. I accept that I am alone in my opinion I had hoped that some others would agree with me but that is ok

Storm Calling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@storm_calling: well Nightcrawler is half demon so there is that going for him. I accept that I am alone in my opinion I had hoped that some others would agree with me but that is ok

True, but technically Nightcrawler doesn't have any enhanced strength either. His durability and strength are fairly normal/human, and Storm would not be at a disadvantage against him strength-wise..

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher said:

@storm_calling said:

Well personally from what I've seen, I think she's around that area, but it has yet to be confirmed.

I hope it will be confirmed immediately. : )

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.