Lethal Magnetic Attraction

#1 Edited by Roddy010 (5159 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny words coming from someone who embodies Xavier dream of coexistence. Just like the weather she commands, Ororo has gone through many transitions in her years as an X-man. We've seen her go from a gentle motherly figure to the edgy fierce woman who wasn't afraid to defy even Xavier himself. But what if her life had a different direction? Magneto has shown much interest in Ororo and her power. He even admitted to her being a major threat to him as villain. Her only weakness being her morality. In her early days in Africa, Storm has been a victim of unintentional homicide and has vowed since then to never take another human life. But being a part of the X-men can make one question their morality and stance in the fight of good and evil.

Perfect Storm

We got a glimpse of what Ororo is capable of as a villain in Claremon'ts X-men Forever arc. She killed Wolverine, blinded Sabertooth and battled the X-men in a bedlam. She even later went on to murder Black Panther and expropriate her position as Queen of Wakanda. This arc has a much more ruthless Storm willing to do anything and kill anyone to get to her paramount.(All while sporting a beastly scar) Claremont did a wonderful job making Storm a predominate villain in this arc. It showed that she has more than enough power and intellect to be considered a team buster.Something Magneto definietly needed in his Brotherhood. He would have definitely embraced this Ororo is his plan for world domination.

Things would have definitely diverted in the opposite direction. Mystique would not have been in the position she was accustomed. The Brotherhood might have been much closer due to Storm's motherly nature and most of Magneto's plans would have become fruition. The X-men would have a lot of trouble on their hands considering the fact that Magneto and Storm's powers complement each other so well. Having these two on the same team brings much potential, both great and terrible. But the most considerable thing is the dialogue between these two. Storm and Erik has had some of the best dialogue between a hero and villain mainly due to their opposing nature. Imagine what But as a team it would be interesting to see them work against our favorite heroes. This dawns the question, What if Storm had joined Magneto's Brotherhood of Mutants?

I feel as though Storm would be the member to keep Mags in check (much like her role in the extinction team). She would be the only one to challenge him verbally and physically with their powers. Knowing Storm should probably would eventually have her own fixation on how things are done.and should be handled. She's definitely give the X-men hell as well as anyone else who opposes her.

#2 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7266 posts) - - Show Bio

Another interesting proposition. Peradventure things did go the other way, she would have been one of Marvel's most renowned and feared villains simply based on what we were given in X-Men Forever, but given the way Good, for the most part, has to win during the usual debacles, save for being a known villain and a notorious rogue...i don't think we would have gotten much out of it. Reason being: Storm was Claremont's poster-woman during his earlier Uncanny stint, another reason for her world-wide fame today, he did so much with her, too much, in fact, where it was even to the detriment of other characters who were required to look dainty and incompetent in the face of Storm, because she was Storm. But in light of what Magneto did during his reign of terror, Storm would have been much more deadlier, possibly using technical contraptions in conjunction with Magneto's power-boostings to boost her own weather powers, to all time heights. it could have been good, but i don't think she would have had such a large and diverse a fan-base as she's retained today, or as much recognition for it, because she wouldn't have had the same traits and ideologies that (speaking for myself) attracted me to her in the first place. She wouldn't have been that melo-dramatic Weather manipulating hero in X-Men TAS (where i first beheld the Marvel), she would have been that melo-dramatic villain, and i don't think i would have liked that.

Ororo's prone to unknowingly attracting men with power, good or bad. One of the glorious things about her.

They could have ruled the world.

Online
#3 Posted by Roddy010 (5159 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: Indeed. Irrc Storm and Magneto showed some political consensus during M' Day. Storm provided the world with resources while Mags ruled with an iron fist. (pun intended0

#4 Edited by Storm Calling (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010: Excellent thread, Roddy!

I have always been a big fan of the dynamic between Ororo and Erik. None of the other X-men share it quite the same as they do.This was one of the only things I enjoyed about Gillen's disappointing X-men run. It's interesting to note that Storm has always had a deep understanding for why Magneto does what he does and vice versa. I think deep down both characters have always shared a mutual respect for the others views and morals. I also think had Magneto found her first, she could have easily been swayed to join him instead with his ideas, and she would have definitely been more ruthless and destructive with her abilities. There are ways he could have convinced her to join his side.

#5 Posted by Roddy010 (5159 posts) - - Show Bio

@Storm Calling: Thanks SC. Storm contemplating to kill Magneto is one of my favorite scenes. Agreed Storm has always had a deep understanding of Eric so much so that she questioned her own motives.

#6 Posted by Storm Calling (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010: They're one of the greatest examples of polar opposites attracting(no pun intended). I would have loved to read more of the dynamic between the two of these characters.

#7 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

1. I love the thread

2.@Storm Calling said:

@Roddy010: Excellent thread, Roddy!

I have always been a big fan of the dynamic between Ororo and Erik. None of the other X-men share it quite the same as they do.This was one of the only things I enjoyed about Gillen's disappointing X-men run. It's interesting to note that Storm has always had a deep understanding for why Magneto does what he does and vice versa. I think deep down both characters have always shared a mutual respect for the others views and morals. I also think had Magneto found her first, she could have easily been swayed to join him instead with his ideas, and she would have definitely been more ruthless and destructive with her abilities. There are ways he could have convinced her to join his side.

I LOVED that scene!!

#8 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10071 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010 said:

@Storm Calling: Thanks SC. Storm contemplating to kill Magneto is one of my favorite scenes. Agreed Storm has always had a deep understanding of Eric so much so that she questioned her own motives.

Great thread Roddy. There was/is so much potential for Storm in the capacity of a mutant revolutionary.

This also reminds me of the time Storm (powerless and with Magneto present for the discussion) were in the Morlock tunnels where she was explaining her plan to fake the X-Men's death to go underground, and contemplated taking out (or maybe minde-wiping I don't recall the whole instance) Havok to silence him because he accidentally overheard their plan. I liked that she has an edge to her that would consider "removing" perceived obstacles from her path to ensure that her goals were met, similar to Magneto,and by whatever means necessary.

@Storm Calling: That scene illustrates the connection these two characters share perfectly. The way the world has treated mutants to their tragic beginnings and losses as a result of human conflicts to the regal air about them, these two could have made an amazing and NIGHTMARISH team.

@White Mage: And imagine how Storm's powers would have developed getting trained by Magneto? Or how her powers could have developed had she been on asteroid M on the regular and developing her cosmic space weather manipulation muscles? I think there would be so much potential.

#9 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@Roddy010 said:

@Storm Calling: Thanks SC. Storm contemplating to kill Magneto is one of my favorite scenes. Agreed Storm has always had a deep understanding of Eric so much so that she questioned her own motives.

Great thread Roddy. There was/is so much potential for Storm in the capacity of a mutant revolutionary.

This also reminds me of the time Storm (powerless and with Magneto present for the discussion) were in the Morlock tunnels where she was explaining her plan to fake the X-Men's death to go underground, and contemplated taking out (or maybe minde-wiping I don't recall the whole instance) Havok to silence him because he accidentally overheard their plan. I liked that she has an edge to her that would consider "removing" perceived obstacles from her path to ensure that her goals were met, similar to Magneto,and by whatever means necessary.

@Storm Calling: That scene illustrates the connection these two characters share perfectly. The way the world has treated mutants to their tragic beginnings and losses as a result of human conflicts to the regal air about them, these two could have made an amazing and NIGHTMARISH team.

@White Mage: And imagine how Storm's powers would have developed getting trained by Magneto? Or how her powers could have developed had she been on asteroid M on the regular and developing her cosmic space weather manipulation muscles? I think there would be so much potential.

Soooo much potential..........and I love her face/look in that scan

#10 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10071 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010: You also touch on a great point with Storm and Magneto sharing the position of White King in the Hellfire Club.

This was something I always wanted to have revisited in X-Men. Storm had an interesting relationship with magneot when he becamew the headmaster at Xavier's school. There was some good story potential to build on. Reading their conversation here these two, even though they were enemies more often than not, had some pretty good chemistry and mutual respect for each others wisdom.

#11 Posted by Roddy010 (5159 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30: Yes another awesome scene. Storm and Magneto had the best chemistry between a hero and Villain in any comic. They just compliment each other so well.

#12 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10071 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010 said:

@THUNDERBOLT30: Yes another awesome scene. Storm and Magneto had the best chemistry between a hero and Villain in any comic. They just compliment each other so well.

They do....this is one of my favorite Storm/Magneto moments...

#13 Posted by Roddy010 (5159 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30: Loving the art and dialogue from these scans! Which issue is this from?

#14 Posted by ItsDaveyJ (189 posts) - - Show Bio

I love these two together. They present some of the most thoughtful and philosophical conversations when they are together.

Plus, this:

#15 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@ItsDaveyJ said:

I love these two together. They present some of the most thoughtful and philosophical conversations when they are together.

Plus, this:

I LOVE THIS!!

#16 Posted by poisonfleur (2976 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@ItsDaveyJ said:

I love these two together. They present some of the most thoughtful and philosophical conversations when they are together.

Plus, this:

I LOVE THIS!!

10 more years had me DYIN'!!! They were the best in MVC2. In Mvc 3, they were balanced. But let's be serious-- Storm had the best attack in the whole game.

'BY THE POWER OF GAIA-- THE POWER OF THE WIND!!!'

--That attack had Wesker screaming his head off in the reveal trailer. lol

#17 Posted by PassionFlower (960 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly Storm and Magneto should absolutely being THE mutant leaders. Mags is following Scott whem even Emma is looking sideways at him... But if I had the book it would be Storm Magneto and Emma for starters.

#18 Posted by aerokinesis (529 posts) - - Show Bio

Could magneto be considered an elemental?

like sunfire, iceman, magma, and storm

#19 Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: very well said!! part of Storm's appeal is her positive hero-like attributes

@Roddy010: u bring up a good point & something to def think about, i've wondered over & over how the marvel universe would be if Storm (my fave hero) were a villain, i don't think she'd have the same appeal

#20 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

They are so similar and yet complete opposites.

Look at their past both shaped by tragedy and necessity. I almost feel if Magneto had been given the purpose Storm had when she was a goddess he would see things differently, but at the end of the day he is simply too angry.

Regardless I love the contrast they have together.

@Roddy010: Great idea and thread.

#21 Posted by Roddy010 (5159 posts) - - Show Bio

@StormyWeather: @Blood1991: Thanks guys :)

#22 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3453 posts) - - Show Bio

Part of her Age of Apocalypse background had her claiming an area of Africa and ruling it until Apocalypse's forces attacked en masse and took her prisoner. I kind of liked that back story in lieu of her 616 one. It gave her a Galadriel-esque quality.

@THUNDERBOLT30: Great finds of those scans! I actually liked this era and this is one of those hard-to-find issues that I never could locate!

#23 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10071 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010 said:

@THUNDERBOLT30: Loving the art and dialogue from these scans! Which issue is this from?

Me too. This is probably my favorite Storm and Magneto moment. it's from New Mutants (1st series) # 51. This is the issue where she & Magneto jointly accept the role of White King in the Hellfire Club.

#24 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10071 posts) - - Show Bio

@aerokinesis said:

Could magneto be considered an elemental?

like sunfire, iceman, magma, and storm

I think so. At least using the term "elemental" loosely since I don't think one would HAVE TO physically become the elements they control to be considered to an elemental. The fact they have can wield the elements through their own varied means (i.e. - primarily manipulate elemental energy to effect elemental matter and vice versa) and can do almost everything full elementals can do would put them in that category IMO. And both he and Storm were selected as part of Apocalypse's 12 of power and represented part of the elemental extremes of nature based on the nature of the elemental forces they control/manipulate.

#25 Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@aerokinesis: i always thought so

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.