Is Ororo Munroe aka Storm an A-List Character?

#1701 Posted by Colt Python (13 posts) - - Show Bio

She's not A-list.

#1702 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@Storm Calling said:

@butterflykyss said:

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

@Decoy Elite said:

The reasoning behind that "Who is Marvel's Wonder Woman" is pretty broken.

Yep.

I disagree. I actually believe the author of the article used a fair and balanced approached in looking at all of pop culture and its respective impact. But why do you see it as broken?

Let them believe what they want. We already know what the truth is and where the facts point.

I love how you get all uppity about my opinion. It's pretty funny.

I think Phoneixofthetides explained it pretty well. Not to mention you're less likely to pretend it's some personal bias with him like you would with me.

#1703 Posted by Walzo (4355 posts) - - Show Bio

No, Storm is not an A-List. Only reason she appears on so much TV and movies is due to the fact that she is and X-Men.

#1704 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

And I'm gonna repeat something I've said plenty of times, Storm is not as popular as you Storm fanatics think. She's just not.

She has a cult fanbase, but so does almost any single character in a team book. I don't care how many bit parts she's been given, because that's what they are, bit parts, unimportant little bits in a story where the only thing that matters are her powers. Storm isn't there, her power set is. Simple as that.

#1705 Edited by Storm Calling (3541 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@Storm Calling said:

@butterflykyss said:

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

@Decoy Elite said:

The reasoning behind that "Who is Marvel's Wonder Woman" is pretty broken.

Yep.

I disagree. I actually believe the author of the article used a fair and balanced approached in looking at all of pop culture and its respective impact. But why do you see it as broken?

Let them believe what they want. We already know what the truth is and where the facts point.

I love how you get all uppity about my opinion. It's pretty funny.

I think Phoneixofthetides explained it pretty well. Not to mention you're less likely to pretend it's some personal bias with him like you would with me.

Uppity? So because I chose to suggest taking the high road, instead of sitting and arguing about something that obviously no one is going to change opinions about(we're in page 86 aren't we?), I'm being uppity? Keep telling yourself that... Phoenixofthetide is also a Storm fan, just because he has a difference of opinion than someone else, doesn't make the person who wrote the article anymore bias than he is. Thank you very much.

@Decoy Elite said:

And I'm gonna repeat something I've said plenty of times, Storm is not as popular as you Storm fanatics think. She's just not.

She has a cult fanbase, but so does almost any single character in a team book. I don't care how many bit parts she's been given, because that's what they are, bit parts, unimportant little bits in a story where the only thing that matters are her powers. Storm isn't there, her power set is. Simple as that.

Tell that to the numbers that are counting against you. Period. And you can continue to believe that she has only been given bit parts, but the bottom line is, 9/10 Storm is represented with the core cast of the X-men. Saying that she isn't popular is like saying the X-men aren't popular, considering she's almost everywhere they are.

#1706 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
@Walzo said:

No, Storm is not an A-List. Only reason she appears on so much TV and movies is due to the fact that she is and X-Men.

#1707 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@Storm Calling: No, you're uppity because everything time I post something that you disagree with you act like I'm a troll so to attempt to invalidate my opinion. You're not on any high road.

Bit parts don't matter, stop pretending that they do.

#1708 Edited by Storm Calling (3541 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@Storm Calling: No, you're uppity because everything time I post something that you disagree with you act like I'm a troll so to attempt to invalidate my opinion. You're not on any high road.

Annnnnnnnd maybe because you've been acting like one isn't any indication at all? You've even admitted to it yourself. I rest my case.

When did I make a claim that bit parts mattered? lol

#1709 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@Storm Calling said:

@Decoy Elite said:

Annnnnnnnd maybe because you've been acting like one isn't any indication at all? You've even admitted to it yourself. I rest my case.

Acting like one? Acting like one huh? Because I made a few jokes? Because I disagreed with you? If I were a troll, if I were some horrible jerk, do you honestly think I'd last posting in the same thread as freakin' Vance?

Because you keep bringing up numbers and the numbers of appearances are almost all bit parts. It's the same thing over and over.

"Storm's been in movies" Yeah the movies that basically starred Wolverine where she barely mattered.

"Storm's been in lots of games" Yeah with barely any speaking lines and literally no importance to the plot.

"Storm's been in the cartoons" Yeah and that's the most important she's been and even then you'd ignore the other character who've been just as important in the same cartoons because they're not Storm.

"She's been in so many comics" Yeah and look how many ongoings it's gotten her.

"She's was an Avenger!" Yeah, she was an Avenger lying on the ground in a pool of her own spit.

Numbers don't matter when it comes to importance.

Not that it matters to you, the only thing that matters to you is if your favorite character is played up.

#1710 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

This entire thread and topic has gotten out of hand. Time to let it go and agree to disagree.

#1711 Posted by Storm Calling (3541 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@Storm Calling said:

@Decoy Elite said:

Acting like one? Acting like one huh? Because I made a few jokes? Because I disagreed with you? If I were a troll, if I were some horrible jerk, do you honestly think I'd last posting in the same thread as freakin' Vance?

Because you keep bringing up numbers and the numbers of appearances are almost all bit parts. It's the same thing over and over.

"Storm's been in movies" Yeah the movies that basically starred Wolverine where she barely mattered.

"Storm's been in lots of games" Yeah with barely any speaking lines and literally no importance to the plot.

"Storm's been in the cartoons" Yeah and that's the most important she's been and even then you'd ignore the other character who've been just as important in the same cartoons because they're not Storm.

"She's been in so many comics" Yeah and look how many ongoings it's gotten her.

"She's was an Avenger!" Yeah, she was an Avenger lying on the ground in a pool of her own spit.

Numbers don't matter when it comes to importance.

Not that it matters to you, the only thing that matters to you is if your favorite character is played up.

I did no such thing, and as I said before, I'm not about to engage into another pointless argument when it's crystal clear that this isn't going to go anywhere anytime soon. People already have their minds made up. It's better to agree to disagree. If anyone knows me, they know that I can engage into arguments for pages upon pages. So when I'm saying I've had enough and others should give up as well, then it's really at the point where it's time to let it go.

As for you being a troll, I never said that you were. You were the one who suggested it. I know what you've been doing and why and I have no qualms about it at this point. Why do you presume that I wrote you off because you disagreed with me or because you think I consider you a troll? That was targeted towards everyone that disagreed with her being as popular as the person claimed in the article and her being an A-list. I don't have to get uppity about anything because I already know where the facts have pointed, and I don't have to sit here and defend it considering I've already done that several times here. lol

#1712 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@Storm Calling: The article. The one you were defending. That was all about numbers. I said the system was broken and when someone replied disagreeing you said "don't bother with him" so I assumed you agreed with said article's number based logic.

You said I was acting like one. But whatever.

I agree that they're no point to this.

#1713 Posted by Storm Calling (3541 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@Storm Calling: The article. The one you were defending. That was all about numbers. I said the system was broken and when someone replied disagreeing you said "don't bother with him" so I assumed you agreed with said article's number based logic.

It had nothing to do with the article specifically, I was speaking in general about arguing this topic. It's like beating a dead horse at this point.

You have been acting like one(which explains why you got so offended by me saying that), even here, but that had nothing to do with why I said what I said to butterflykyss or that I think that you are actually one(I know why you've been behaving the way that you have). I said it because I don't think this topic should continue. It's already on page 86 and not a single person has changed their stance on the subject.

#1714 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@Storm Calling: Really? Gonna say I'm acting like one again? You don't even know what a troll is if you think I'm acting like one.

I'm not going around trying to start stuff, I'm just trying to get people to drop the ridiculous argument based off exact numbers of appearances without any context to how important they are.

You keep saying you didn't meant it but then you call me a troll again. Stop it.

#1715 Posted by Storm Calling (3541 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@Storm Calling: Really? Gonna say I'm acting like one again? You don't even know what a troll is if you think I'm acting like one.

I'm not going around trying to start stuff, I'm just trying to get people to drop the ridiculous argument based off exact numbers of appearances without any context to how important they are.

You keep saying you didn't meant it but then you call me a troll again. Stop it.

I don't think I made myself clear enough, "you're not trolling on this particular subject. But you've trolled to some degree with other posters and different topics on the Storm board." I'm trying to be lenient but I don't take these sort of responses lightly...

#1716 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@Storm Calling said:

@Decoy Elite said:

I don't think I made myself clear enough, "you're not trolling on this particular subject. But you've trolled to some degree with other posters and different topics on the Storm board." I'm trying to be lenient but I don't take these sort of responses lightly...

But I haven't. I've made a few jokes at best. It's not my fault that slightly little thing can set off some Storm fans.

You can bring up the joke Storm gifs(ignoring the THE CHAMP one because it doesn't help your argument of course) but then I can just point out the other joke pics I have like Batman talking about how he pissed himself.

Anyway enough off topic stuff, you can think I'm a troll all you want, I honestly don't care at this point.

#1717 Posted by Storm Calling (3541 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@Storm Calling said:

@Decoy Elite said:

But I haven't. I've made a few jokes at best. It's not my fault that slightly little thing can set off some Storm fans.

You can bring up the joke Storm gifs(ignoring the THE CHAMP one because it doesn't help your argument of course) but then I can just point out the other joke pics I have like Batman talking about how he pissed himself.

Anyway enough off topic stuff, you can think I'm a troll all you want, I honestly don't care at this point.

Uh, you have, and I don't care at this point if you don't believe that you haven't. lol

#1718 Posted by poisonfleur (2928 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

This entire thread and topic has gotten out of hand. Time to let it go and agree to disagree.

#1719 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@poisonfleur said:

@Blood1991 said:

Burning bridges left and right up in this thread.

#1720 Posted by jhazzroucher (14732 posts) - - Show Bio

@Storm Calling said:

@Decoy Elite said:

It had nothing to do with the article specifically, I was speaking in general about arguing this topic. It's like beating a dead horse at this point.

You have been acting like one(which explains why you got so offended by me saying that), even here, but that had nothing to do with why I said what I said to butterflykyss or that I think that you are actually one(I know why you've been behaving the way that you have). I said it because I don't think this topic should continue. It's already on page 86 and not a single person has changed their stance on the subject.

the system is broken because Storm's numbers were higher than what the writer has given

#1721 Posted by jhazzroucher (14732 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm is an A-List character

#1722 Posted by butterflykyss (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

yes she is indeed

#1723 Posted by Walzo (4355 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@jhazzroucher said:

yes she is indeed

The X-Men as a group are A-List, she is not.

#1724 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
@Walzo said:

@butterflykyss said:

@jhazzroucher said:

yes she is indeed

This.
#1725 Posted by jhazzroucher (14732 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Walzo said:

@butterflykyss said:

@jhazzroucher said:

yes she is indeed

This.

no.

#1726 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
@jhazzroucher said:

no.

Hello pointless last word bump on page 67!
#1727 Posted by drgnx (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

She could have been, might have even been, may still yet some day be, but I don't think she is now. I never hear of Storm outside this thread...like ever....

A true fan shouldn't even care, none of my favorite characters are A list... Okay that is a lie, but I still have many characters I like that are not A list...not that that actually means anything in context of this thread...

Okay look ,..., ...., ...., ....., I got it: You like Storm and it shouldn't matter if she A-list or not if you are a true fan!!!

#1728 Posted by butterflykyss (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

She could have been, might have even been, may still yet some day be, but I don't think she is now. I never hear of Storm outside this thread...like ever....

A true fan shouldn't even care, none of my favorite characters are A list... Okay that is a lie, but I still have many characters I like that are not A list...not that that actually means anything in context of this thread...

Okay look ,..., ...., ...., ....., I got it: You like Storm and it shouldn't matter if she A-list or not if you are a true fan!!!

this simply is not true. Storm is featured in a majority of the x-books now. Is the head mistress of the JGS, co-leader of one of the X-force teams, and about to lead the first all-women x-team to be written by wood. Couple this with confirmation Halle Berry is going to play her again in DOFP, and she is in virtually every game and cartoon that comes out about the xmen. She is definitely A-list and she is definitely going to be doing big things in 2013 and beyond.

#1729 Posted by drgnx (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss:

I'll be honest, I'm not sure why Haley playing her has any impact on her status, to the point you would even mention it. Even if she is a good actress, the movie was not set in a way to really spotlight her.

The rest of your comments indicate she is a core part of the team, which I agree is A-list, but does not automatically translate her to an A-list character.

Its been 87 pages at this point, and while I have not read more than a few pages, the best arguments I've seen as to why she should be considered A-list all relate to her inclusion of the X-men and sometimes Avengers and little besides that, an A list character should be able to stand on their own, and I would even say an A+ lister has spin-offs that can stand on their own...and sell respectively.

#1730 Posted by Walzo (4355 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher:

She's widely known for being an X-men, not Storm.

#1731 Posted by jhazzroucher (14732 posts) - - Show Bio

@Walzo said:

@jhazzroucher:

same goes to Wolverine.

#1732 Posted by jhazzroucher (14732 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@jhazzroucher said:

no.

it's not pointless. Yours is. lol : )

@drgnx said:

I am an solid fan of Hollow/Penance from generation X but I don't tell people she's A-list cos she's not. But for Storm, you cannot blame us because she has a lot of exposure on all forms of media, numbers that are higher than almost all female characters.

#1733 Posted by Walzo (4355 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@Walzo said:

@jhazzroucher:

same goes to Wolverine.

That is extremely untrue.

Yes, Wolverine is commonly linked to the X-men, however he also has currently 3 ongoings, is apart of the Avengers, has starred and is in the main character in multiple movies, and also is much more popular than Storm.

#1734 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
@jhazzroucher said:

I'll take the LOL as this being a joke.
#1735 Edited by Lifeguard85 (392 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems like someone should take a list of A-List characters and list out their common traits, then see if Storm has them all as well. If you do not have a concrete definition of what you are looking for, everything else is just opinion.

#1736 Posted by drgnx (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@Vance Astro said:

@jhazzroucher said:

no.

@drgnx said:

I am an solid fan of Hollow/Penance from generation X but I don't tell people she's A-list cos she's not. But for Storm, you cannot blame us because she has a lot of exposure on all forms of media, numbers that are higher than almost all female characters.

The A-list don't care about your gender, how you do proportional to other females is irrelevant.

#1737 Posted by jhazzroucher (14732 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Vance Astro said:

@jhazzroucher said:

no.

@drgnx said:

The A-list don't care about your gender, how you do proportional to other females is irrelevant.

so tell me, is there any female character who is an A-list?

#1738 Posted by jhazzroucher (14732 posts) - - Show Bio

@Walzo said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Walzo said:

@jhazzroucher:

same goes to Wolverine.

Yes, Wolverine is commonly linked to the X-men, however he also has currently 3 ongoings, is apart of the Avengers, has starred and is in the main character in multiple movies, and also is much more popular than Storm.

ask anyone and eventhough they just see an ongoing Wolverine solo, they will still say he's from x-men

#1739 Posted by Walzo (4355 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@Walzo said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Walzo said:

@jhazzroucher:

same goes to Wolverine.

ask anyone and eventhough they just see an ongoing Wolverine solo, they will still say he's from x-men

Wolverine has proven himself to be something other than an Xmen, Storm has never done so.

#1740 Posted by Walzo (4355 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@drgnx said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Vance Astro said:

@jhazzroucher said:

no.

@drgnx said:

Yes, her name is Wonder Woman.

#1741 Edited by drgnx (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@drgnx said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Vance Astro said:

@jhazzroucher said:

no.

@drgnx said:

Wonder Women, might be the only one I think off, but even she is struggling, her solo is the lowest selling of all the core 7 JL (that have solos). Still she has animated movies, and spin-offs, but none of which have their own solo's at the moment. I can honestly say she is boarding A to B+ along with Aquaman, who does not have spin-offs but is selling very well in his solo.

There is a bit of grey there as technically speaking, Green Arrow is getting more coverage than them, with his show and Arrow comic, even if his "green arrow" comic might not be a hot seller. If she gets her show going and it does well, it would certainly put her in the A range incontestably.

Batgirl could be another contender as she has her own solo and is also part of Birds of Prey and sells well (I think as well as Wonder Woman), but gets grouped with Bat Women for some of the animations, she has potential to be an A lister.

Supergirl could have been if she didn't have to share her exposure with Power Girl. But both of them combined would still need some work. like movies, or shows.

There are plenty of well like characters with Solo's who I still would not consider a listers, or very borderline.

#1742 Posted by jhazzroucher (14732 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@drgnx said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Vance Astro said:

@jhazzroucher said:

no.

@drgnx said:

Wonder Women, might be the only one I think off, but even she is struggling, her solo is the lowest selling of all the core 7 JL (that have solos). Still she has animated movies, and spin-offs, but none of which have their own solo's at the moment. I can honestly say she is boarding A to B+ along with Aquaman, who does not have spin-offs but is selling very well in his solo.

There is a bit of grey there as technically speaking, Green Arrow is getting more coverage than them, with his show and Arrow comic, even if his "green arrow" comic might not be a hot seller. If she gets her show going and it does well, it would certainly put her in the A range incontestably.

Batgirl could be another contender as she has her own solo and is also part of Birds of Prey and sells well, but gets grouped with Bat Women for some of the animations, she has potential to be an A lister.

There are plenty of well like characters with Solo's who I still would not consider a listers, or very borderline.

so why is Storm not a contender when Storm is doing well on all forms of media. She even has higher number of appearances on films, video games (by a mile), cartoons and comics (almost 1,000 gap) and you're thinking WW is the only one who could be?

#1743 Posted by jhazzroucher (14732 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not really surprised that batgirl 's own ongoing is really selling very well.

#1744 Posted by drgnx (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@drgnx said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@drgnx said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Vance Astro said:

@jhazzroucher said:

no.

@drgnx said:

Batgirl could be another contender as she has her own solo and is also part of Birds of Prey and sells well, but gets grouped with Bat Women for some of the animations, she has potential to be an A lister.

so why is Storm not a contender when Storm is doing well on all forms of media. She even has higher number of appearances on films, video games (by a mile), cartoons and comics (almost 1,000 gap) and you're thinking WW is the only one who could be?

It is not really a matter of just appearances. It is a matter of your ability to sell, on your own. If you can't sell your own comic, you're probably not an A-lister, you're at best a strong Supporting character. Sure, you might be part of the team, and as such, a good supporting character, but an a-lister needs to be able to stand on their own as well as support the team comics. If Storm had her own solo right now, with everything else, I would consider her for the A-list, but until than, she is just a strong Supporting character. Exposure in games is still support if she is not the star.

#1745 Posted by jhazzroucher (14732 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@drgnx said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@drgnx said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Vance Astro said:

@jhazzroucher said:

no.

@drgnx said:

It is not really a matter of just appearances. It is a matter of your ability to sell, on your own. If you can't sell your own comic, you're probably not an A-lister, you're at best a strong Supporting character. Sure, you might be part of the team, and as such, a good supporting character, but an a-lister needs to be able to stand on their own as well as support the team comics. If Storm had her own solo right now, with everything else, I would consider her for the A-list, but until than, she is just a strong Supporting character. Exposure in games is still support if she is not the star.

yes it does. especially back when Storm had less number of appearance in comics, it was being taken into consideration but now that Storm surpass WW's numbers, they wouldn't not consider it anymore. But it's ok. It still is something to be considered.

Having an ongoing solo doesn't mean you're A-list.

being just part of a team doesn't mean you can't be an A-list.

#1746 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lifeguard85 said:

It seems like someone should take a list of A-List characters and list out their common traits, then see if Storm has them all as well. If you do not have a concrete definition of what you are looking for, everything else is just opinion.

I tried that. They ignored those common traits.
#1747 Posted by jhazzroucher (14732 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Lifeguard85 said:

I tried that. They ignored those common traits.

I did. the A-list characters have been exposed well on all forms of media

#1748 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
@jhazzroucher said:

But in your argument you will try and put Storm's cameos on the same level of exposure in forms of media where other A-list characters are the focal point of their own books, own films, own shows etc.
#1749 Posted by jhazzroucher (14732 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@jhazzroucher said:

But in your argument you will try and put Storm's cameos on the same level of exposure in forms of media where other A-list characters are the focal point of their own books, own films, own shows etc.

well not really but considering that sh even doesn't have her own solo, it's a fact that she beat them in number of appearances

#1750 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
@jhazzroucher said:

well not really but considering that sh even doesn't have her own solo, it's a fact that she beat them in number of appearances

I think not having a solo is WHY she beat them in number of appearances. She HAS TO appear in other characters books or not at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.