Is Ororo Munroe aka Storm an A-List Character?

#1 Posted by jhazzroucher (15045 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't she?

and...

Some people online on another comic site told me that Storm is not an A-List character because she doesn't have her own ongoing. Is it really a requirement for a comic character to have his/her own ongoing comics to become an A-List character?

#2 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

She is a B-List character. The only A list X-Man is Wolverine.

/Thread

#3 Posted by SoA (4682 posts) - - Show Bio

i feel if a non-reader can identify a character they are a-list , that and she has been in all the x-men movies in some form or another and almost all the cartoons . she is A-list .

#4 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: I don't think this is the path we should take with these forum creations....

#5 Posted by SUNMAN (7141 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say she's B list. I'm still surprised she hasn't had a solo ongoing yet.

#6 Posted by jhazzroucher (15045 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

She is a B-List character. The only A list X-Man is Wolverine.

/Thread

Despite of appearing to multiple video games, cartoon series, comics, movies, etc?

I mean, among female comic characters, only Catwoman can rival Storm in most number of appearances in movies.

Storm has more number of appearances in comics than Wonder Woman and Invisible Woman.

Storm has the most number of appearances in video games among the female comic characters.

Prolly in cartoon series too.

#7 Posted by PassionFlower (957 posts) - - Show Bio

My idea of A List is who I like be that a character musician or artist, I never really cared much what other people thought.

#8 Posted by Lokheit (492 posts) - - Show Bio

Ororo WAS A-List. But on recent years, nothing would've changed much without her around. Hopefully after breaking that marriage that put her away of anything relevant to what she was before writters can give her the proper attention again.

I liked Storm maaaaany years ago, but then she became a really boring character, and then she married and fell into oblivion and total irrelevance.

#9 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lokheit said:

Ororo WAS A-List. But on recent years, nothing would've changed much without her around. Hopefully after breaking that marriage that put her away of anything relevant to what she was before writters can give her the proper attention again.

I liked Storm maaaaany years ago, but then she became a really boring character, and then she married and fell into oblivion and total irrelevance.

Black Panther would be very dead

#10 Posted by PassionFlower (957 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry but she was written boring along time before she was married honestly that made me dust her off again.

#11 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@Blood1991 said:

She is a B-List character. The only A list X-Man is Wolverine.

/Thread

Despite of appearing to multiple video games, cartoon series, comics, movies, etc?

I mean, among female comic characters, only Catwoman can rival Storm in most number of appearances in movies.

Storm has more number of appearances in comics than Wonder Woman and Invisible Woman.

Storm has the most number of appearances in video games among the female comic characters.

Prolly in cartoon series too.

Wonder Woman is a worldwide Icon and doesn't even have her own movie. Being recognizable isn't the only classification for being iconic or a A-list character. Wolverine can stand alone and is the only X-Man to do so. Even characters who have solo's aren't necessarily A-List like Hawkeye who is also a B-list character. She is up there if she held a solo for two years I would even admit she was, but until she proves that she can she will always be a B-List hero in my eyes and there is nothing wrong with that.

#12 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

A list comic book characters mean they can and have supported their own comicbook series. Storm is not an A lister. Also:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher: I don't think this is the path we should take with these forum creations....

I agree

#13 Posted by jhazzroucher (15045 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Blood1991 said:

She is a B-List character. The only A list X-Man is Wolverine.

/Thread

Despite of appearing to multiple video games, cartoon series, comics, movies, etc?

I mean, among female comic characters, only Catwoman can rival Storm in most number of appearances in movies.

Storm has more number of appearances in comics than Wonder Woman and Invisible Woman.

Storm has the most number of appearances in video games among the female comic characters.

Prolly in cartoon series too.

Wonder Woman is a worldwide Icon and doesn't even have her own movie. Being recognizable isn't the only classification for being iconic or a A-list character. Wolverine can stand alone and is the only X-Man to do so. Even characters who have solo's aren't necessarily A-List like Hawkeye who is also a B-list character. She is up there if she held a solo for two years I would even admit she was, but until she proves that she can she will always be a B-List hero in my eyes and there is nothing wrong with that.

Storm broke records as a female comic character. She is also an iconic character eventhough she's not pushed much. Besides, any female comic character can become a world wide icon when always being placed beside Superman and Batman.

#14 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@Blood1991 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Blood1991 said:

She is a B-List character. The only A list X-Man is Wolverine.

/Thread

Despite of appearing to multiple video games, cartoon series, comics, movies, etc?

I mean, among female comic characters, only Catwoman can rival Storm in most number of appearances in movies.

Storm has more number of appearances in comics than Wonder Woman and Invisible Woman.

Storm has the most number of appearances in video games among the female comic characters.

Prolly in cartoon series too.

Wonder Woman is a worldwide Icon and doesn't even have her own movie. Being recognizable isn't the only classification for being iconic or a A-list character. Wolverine can stand alone and is the only X-Man to do so. Even characters who have solo's aren't necessarily A-List like Hawkeye who is also a B-list character. She is up there if she held a solo for two years I would even admit she was, but until she proves that she can she will always be a B-List hero in my eyes and there is nothing wrong with that.

Storm broke records as a female comic character. She is also an iconic character eventhough she's not pushed much. Besides, any female comic character can become a world wide icon when always being placed beside Superman and Batman.

That isn't true and is unfair to Wonder Woman who is one of the greatest comic characters created. That is like attributing Storm's success solely to being an X-Man.

#15 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@Blood1991 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Blood1991 said:

She is a B-List character. The only A list X-Man is Wolverine.

/Thread

Despite of appearing to multiple video games, cartoon series, comics, movies, etc?

I mean, among female comic characters, only Catwoman can rival Storm in most number of appearances in movies.

Storm has more number of appearances in comics than Wonder Woman and Invisible Woman.

Storm has the most number of appearances in video games among the female comic characters.

Prolly in cartoon series too.

Wonder Woman is a worldwide Icon and doesn't even have her own movie. Being recognizable isn't the only classification for being iconic or a A-list character. Wolverine can stand alone and is the only X-Man to do so. Even characters who have solo's aren't necessarily A-List like Hawkeye who is also a B-list character. She is up there if she held a solo for two years I would even admit she was, but until she proves that she can she will always be a B-List hero in my eyes and there is nothing wrong with that.

Storm broke records as a female comic character. She is also an iconic character eventhough she's not pushed much. Besides, any female comic character can become a world wide icon when always being placed beside Superman and Batman.

So lets cut the fat, you're just using Storm to troll right?

#16 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: Things were going so well.... We had a chance to heal (;_;)

#17 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: No no, I've learned my lesson, I'm not counting Jhazz against Storm fans.

#18 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@Blood1991: No no, I've learned my lesson, I'm not counting Jhazz against Storm fans.

The last time I tried to confront this as a problem my post were deleted, but thank you.

#19 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

The threads may have been wiped, but my memory is elephant-like, and I know that nothing positive ever came of these types of threads..........people just................just.................just fightin and s**t

#20 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (9965 posts) - - Show Bio

She's A-List...

@White Mage said:

The threads may have been wiped, but my memory is elephant-like, and I know that nothing positive ever came of these types of threads..........people just................just.................just fightin and s**t

Agreed. I hope this thread and all of his others get locked.

#21 Posted by jhazzroucher (15045 posts) - - Show Bio

let's just stick to the topic guys. I've made a similar thread on another site and the discussion was fine there.

#22 Posted by Storm Calling (3542 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

She's A-List...

@White Mage said:

The threads may have been wiped, but my memory is elephant-like, and I know that nothing positive ever came of these types of threads..........people just................just.................just fightin and s**t

Agreed. I hope this thread and all of his others get locked.

Agreed 100%,

#23 Posted by Son Of Storm (11252 posts) - - Show Bio

@Storm Calling said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

She's A-List...

@White Mage said:

The threads may have been wiped, but my memory is elephant-like, and I know that nothing positive ever came of these types of threads..........people just................just.................just fightin and s**t

Agreed. I hope this thread and all of his others get locked.

Agreed 100%,

#24 Posted by Lvenger (18204 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

A list comic book characters mean they can and have supported their own comicbook series. Storm is not an A lister.

This sums it up. Also why do these threads keep appearing? Can we not stop them? This is one of the reasons I dislike Storm because of her fans. It's ridiculous.

#25 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@TheCrowbar said:

A list comic book characters mean they can and have supported their own comicbook series. Storm is not an A lister.

This sums it up. Also why do these threads keep appearing? Can we not stop them? This is one of the reasons I dislike Storm because of her fans. It's ridiculous.

Her forum got wiped out

#26 Posted by Twentyfive (2818 posts) - - Show Bio

She isn't anymore. I would say she was in the 90's and maybe 2000s, but Marvel isn't as interested in her like before.

#27 Posted by Lvenger (18204 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@Lvenger said:

@TheCrowbar said:

A list comic book characters mean they can and have supported their own comicbook series. Storm is not an A lister.

This sums it up. Also why do these threads keep appearing? Can we not stop them? This is one of the reasons I dislike Storm because of her fans. It's ridiculous.

Her forum got wiped out

But we're posting in the Storm forum. That made no sense at all.

#28 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#29 Posted by Roger Rabbit (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, she doesn't have any sort of lasting popularity and has never actually held any solo success which is what being A-list is all about, Spawn is more A-list then her and nobody even knows who he is (I hope).

#30 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@White Mage said:

@Lvenger said:

@TheCrowbar said:

A list comic book characters mean they can and have supported their own comicbook series. Storm is not an A lister.

This sums it up. Also why do these threads keep appearing? Can we not stop them? This is one of the reasons I dislike Storm because of her fans. It's ridiculous.

Her forum got wiped out

But we're posting in the Storm forum. That made no sense at all.

Let's put it this way:

ALL OF HER SH*T GOT WIPED OUT. BLANK. Apparently, a glitch hit that ONLY erased Storm's history. So, the ones who contributed most of the information to her page in the first place have been working together to help restore it. If you have an issue with the threads, I really don't know what to tell you, because they haven't been that numerous as of late, because they no longer exist.

#31 Posted by Lvenger (18204 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@Lvenger said:

@White Mage said:

@Lvenger said:

@TheCrowbar said:

A list comic book characters mean they can and have supported their own comicbook series. Storm is not an A lister.

This sums it up. Also why do these threads keep appearing? Can we not stop them? This is one of the reasons I dislike Storm because of her fans. It's ridiculous.

Her forum got wiped out

But we're posting in the Storm forum. That made no sense at all.

Let's put it this way:

ALL OF HER SH*T GOT WIPED OUT. BLANK. Apparently, a glitch hit that ONLY erased Storm's history. So, the ones who contributed most of the information to her page in the first place have been working together to help restore it. If you have an issue with the threads, I really don't know what to tell you, because they haven't been that numerous as of late, because they no longer exist.

I didn't know that. Was it a glitch inflicted by someone else on the Vine? And I've had grievances with Storm fans, particularly jhazz for a while. I'm not a huge fan of the Storm threads he/she makes or the topics she discusses. This is the first time in a while I've been on here and nothing's changed.

#32 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@White Mage said:

@Lvenger said:

@White Mage said:

@Lvenger said:

@TheCrowbar said:

A list comic book characters mean they can and have supported their own comicbook series. Storm is not an A lister.

This sums it up. Also why do these threads keep appearing? Can we not stop them? This is one of the reasons I dislike Storm because of her fans. It's ridiculous.

Her forum got wiped out

But we're posting in the Storm forum. That made no sense at all.

Let's put it this way:

ALL OF HER SH*T GOT WIPED OUT. BLANK. Apparently, a glitch hit that ONLY erased Storm's history. So, the ones who contributed most of the information to her page in the first place have been working together to help restore it. If you have an issue with the threads, I really don't know what to tell you, because they haven't been that numerous as of late, because they no longer exist.

I didn't know that. Was it a glitch inflicted by someone else on the Vine? And I've had grievances with Storm fans, particularly jhazz for a while. I'm not a huge fan of the Storm threads he/she makes or the topics she discusses. This is the first time in a while I've been on here and nothing's changed.

We don't see it as a big negative anymore. I don't know who caused the glitch, but I don't mind it anymore. The most knowledgeable members are still around and active, and we've got all of the necessary info to rebuild...with child-like happiness.

Every time I've tried to bump one of the threads of old, comicvine tells me that the page no longer exists, which is why I'm so d@mn CONFUSED as to how Jhazz was able to get a hold of his old forum thread......................BUT, there are 9 total, two of them were out of randomville and got locked, the other 3 were bumped/created by Jhazz, and 4 created for discussion/core information

Only 7 active threads now.........................And I KNOW she had at LEAST 50+

#33 Edited by fodigg (6142 posts) - - Show Bio

If Cyclops is A-list, so is Storm. They've long been established as equals. When it comes to X-Men, it goes:

  • Wolverine
  • Cyclops/Storm
  • Xavier/Jean Grey

At least, as far as the general audience is concerned.

#34 Posted by poisonfleur (2954 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA said:

i feel if a non-reader can identify a character they are a-list , that and she has been in all the x-men movies in some form or another and almost all the cartoons . she is A-list .

Well Said!

Not to mention ALL her other popular credentials that make her more well known than many other super heroes

#35 Posted by poisonfleur (2954 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lokheit said:

Ororo WAS A-List. But on recent years, nothing would've changed much without her around. Hopefully after breaking that marriage that put her away of anything relevant to what she was before writters can give her the proper attention again.

I liked Storm maaaaany years ago, but then she became a really boring character, and then she married and fell into oblivion and total irrelevance.

As much as I hate to agree. SHE WAS UNQUESTIONABLE an A-lister in the 90s.

Now it's debatable. She is like a B+/A- now days.

Hands down she is the most popular woman in Marvel and always will be.

If anyone used to be an A-lister and fell down 5 flights of stairs, it's Elektra. HAS BEEN!! Yea I said it-- HAS BEEN! Hang it up Flat Screen!!

It's like presidency. Black widow is reigning cause of the Avengers movie. But she knows she can't ever hold a candle to Storm........ Ever.

#36 Posted by Roddy010 (5135 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA said:

i feel if a non-reader can identify a character they are a-list , that and she has been in all the x-men movies in some form or another and almost all the cartoons . she is A-list .

I can agree with this....

#37 Posted by Quandary (19 posts) - - Show Bio

@poisonfleur said:

@SoA said:

i feel if a non-reader can identify a character they are a-list , that and she has been in all the x-men movies in some form or another and almost all the cartoons . she is A-list .

Well Said!

Not to mention ALL her other popular credentials that make her more well known than many other super heroes

being more popular doesn't make you A-List, B-List is still pretty significant as most characters are C-List and below

and being in a few movies doesn't make you A-List either, Wonder Woman's never been in anything relevant and she's still considered A-List, Harry Osborn was in three successful movies too (and probably cartoons, I've never watched any of them) but nobody would call him A-List

#38 Edited by SoA (4682 posts) - - Show Bio

@Quandary: i did stae before that statement , if a non-reader can identify a character then they can be considered A-list , im pretty sure WW and Storm can be identified by people not familiar with comics

#39 Posted by Quandary (19 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA: that's why I brought up Harry Osborn...the only reason Storm might (and I don't know of anyone who would know who she is) have an edge in being identified by those who don't read comics is because she's so simple, there's no one she can be mistaken with and her name is the thing she can do which nobody else really does...so for example, to ask someone who the character is you would traditionally show a picture, well any good picture is going to be showing some sort of storm behind her as all her pin-ups do and that's how that works

#40 Posted by SoA (4682 posts) - - Show Bio

@Quandary: well that and the general public cannot name 10 black superheroes (be impressed if 5 were named). strom is the first if not most famous black female character .

#41 Posted by jhazzroucher (15045 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Blood1991 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Blood1991 said:

She is a B-List character. The only A list X-Man is Wolverine.

/Thread

Despite of appearing to multiple video games, cartoon series, comics, movies, etc?

I mean, among female comic characters, only Catwoman can rival Storm in most number of appearances in movies.

Storm has more number of appearances in comics than Wonder Woman and Invisible Woman.

Storm has the most number of appearances in video games among the female comic characters.

Prolly in cartoon series too.

Wonder Woman is a worldwide Icon and doesn't even have her own movie. Being recognizable isn't the only classification for being iconic or a A-list character. Wolverine can stand alone and is the only X-Man to do so. Even characters who have solo's aren't necessarily A-List like Hawkeye who is also a B-list character. She is up there if she held a solo for two years I would even admit she was, but until she proves that she can she will always be a B-List hero in my eyes and there is nothing wrong with that.

Storm broke records as a female comic character. She is also an iconic character eventhough she's not pushed much. Besides, any female comic character can become a world wide icon when always being placed beside Superman and Batman.

That isn't true and is unfair to Wonder Woman who is one of the greatest comic characters created. That is like attributing Storm's success solely to being an X-Man.

i just don't think she'd be as great as she is right now without the big help from Superman and Batman. If she wasn't in the JLA cartoon series, she'll remain a popular character but in comics only.

#42 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@Blood1991 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Blood1991 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Blood1991 said:

She is a B-List character. The only A list X-Man is Wolverine.

/Thread

Despite of appearing to multiple video games, cartoon series, comics, movies, etc?

I mean, among female comic characters, only Catwoman can rival Storm in most number of appearances in movies.

Storm has more number of appearances in comics than Wonder Woman and Invisible Woman.

Storm has the most number of appearances in video games among the female comic characters.

Prolly in cartoon series too.

Wonder Woman is a worldwide Icon and doesn't even have her own movie. Being recognizable isn't the only classification for being iconic or a A-list character. Wolverine can stand alone and is the only X-Man to do so. Even characters who have solo's aren't necessarily A-List like Hawkeye who is also a B-list character. She is up there if she held a solo for two years I would even admit she was, but until she proves that she can she will always be a B-List hero in my eyes and there is nothing wrong with that.

Storm broke records as a female comic character. She is also an iconic character eventhough she's not pushed much. Besides, any female comic character can become a world wide icon when always being placed beside Superman and Batman.

That isn't true and is unfair to Wonder Woman who is one of the greatest comic characters created. That is like attributing Storm's success solely to being an X-Man.

i just don't think she'd be as great as she is right now without the big help from Superman and Batman. If she wasn't in the JLA cartoon series, she'll remain a popular character but in comics only.

And no one would know who Storm is if she wasn't an X-Man. She stands alone without either of them in her own series "a great series by the way". She is by no means popular in comics only every year people dress up as Wonder Woman for Halloween, she is mentioned in music constantly, and her series has been transferred into popular gifs, and memes.

#43 Posted by jhazzroucher (15045 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: Then again, Storm has better records than WW.

Number of appearances in comics as of November 2012

Storm: 4,591

Wonder Woman: 4,024

Number of appearances in video games:

Storm: 41

Wonder Woman: 10

Storm doesn't need music. When it rains, when it storms, people think of Storm, though not all of us.

and people also dress up as Storm on Halloween.

#44 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@Blood1991: Then again, Storm has better records than WW.

Number of appearances in comics as of November 2012

Storm: 4,591

Wonder Woman: 4,024

Number of appearances in video games:

Storm: 41

Wonder Woman: 10

Storm doesn't need music. When it rains, when it storms, people think of Storm, though not all of us.

and people also dress up as Storm on Halloween.

When Wonder Woman appears in a comic she is never background art. Storm for five years was background art and Marvel dishes out more video games then DC anyway. Yes people dress up as Storm for Halloween, but I can tell you now her costume does not sell as well as WW's.

#45 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@Blood1991: Then again, Storm has better records than WW.

Number of appearances in comics as of November 2012

Storm: 4,591

Wonder Woman: 4,024

Number of appearances in video games:

Storm: 41

Wonder Woman: 10

Storm doesn't need music. When it rains, when it storms, people think of Storm, though not all of us.

and people also dress up as Storm on Halloween.

LORD have mercy

#46 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage:

#47 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: HA!

#48 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

i just don't think she'd be as great as she is right now without the big help from Wolverine and Cyclops. If she wasn't in the X-Men cartoon series, she'll remain a popular character but in comics only.

Fixed it for you

#49 Posted by jhazzroucher (15045 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shamelesslysupportinaznballers said:

@jhazzroucher said:

i just don't think she'd be as great as she is right now without the big help from Wolverine and Cyclops. If she wasn't in the X-Men cartoon series, she'll remain a popular character but in comics only.

Fixed it for you

Wolverine and Cyclops are not as big as Superman and Batman.

Besides, Storm has shown in a lot of x-men cartoon series and not only that, even if she didn't appear in the cartoon series, she still has appeared in movies.

#50 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@Shamelesslysupportinaznballers said:

@jhazzroucher said:

i just don't think she'd be as great as she is right now without the big help from Wolverine and Cyclops. If she wasn't in the X-Men cartoon series, she'll remain a popular character but in comics only.

Fixed it for you

Wolverine and Cyclops are not as big as Superman and Batman.

Besides, Storm has shown in a lot of x-men cartoon series and not only that, even if she didn't appear in the cartoon series, she still has appeared in movies.

Yes X-Men movies beside Wolverine.

@Shamelesslysupportinaznballers: You will learn these are losing battles, but I appreciate someone else with good sense backing me up here.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.