Follow

Storm

Character » Storm appears in 10157 issues.

Born to an American photo journalist and Kenyan princess, Ororo Munroe is one of the most recognizabe superheroines in the Marvel Universe. Using her unique ability to see and manipulate natural energy patterns of the universe to summon any type of weather phenomenon she desires in the blink of an eye, she is called Storm.

If it's because of one character that stopped Marvel from giving Storm her own book, who?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Poll If it's because of one character that stopped Marvel from giving Storm her own book, who? (12 votes)

Black Panther 50%
    Ms Marvel 8%
    Thor 17%
    All Of The Above 25%

Let's not talk about Marvel not giving Storm her own ongoing comic title because of sales.

I'm not giving the "None" option, since I started the question with an "if"

If it's because of one character that stopped Marvel from giving Storm her own book, who do you think he/she is and why?

Is it because of...

A. Black Panther- because they already started with him to represent the black race.

B. Ms Marvel - because they already started with making her the female face of Marvel

C. Thor - because Thor's powers are similar to Storm's.

D. or all of the above.

• 
    Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Black Panther, but not because of the reason you stated, but because it did nothing positive for her character. But now Marvel has smartened up, and she is going to be hyper-utilized and exposed to the comic readership in the coming months.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Ms.Marvel. Apparently they think she has more girl power than Storm.

But let's be honest Storm outranks Ms.Marvel & Black Panther-- So ditch both of their series and make a Storm Solo! BOOM! DC wouldn't play around if they had Storm as a character.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Black Panther doesn't have a solo series just now. How is he stopping Storm from having one, if it actually is something to do with black representation?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think any of these characters are specific causes for Storm not having a solo book. They're simply established solo characters, while Storm is more associated with the X-Men.

At any rate, Black Panther doesn't have a solo series at the present. Though I really wish Hickman would write one with Epting on pencils!

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By chalkshark

But the answer is "none of the above". There's not some conscious decision on Marvel's part to give one character a solo book at the cost of another character. With the exception of the Black Panther, the characters you mentioned above debuted in their own titles. Storm debuted as an X-Man. The reason Storm doesn't have her own title is the same reason Nightcrawler, Colossus, Banshee, Cyclops, Beast, Iceman, Angel, etc don't have their own titles. X-Men are completely defined by being X-men. They largely have no relations outside of the X-Men. It took Wolverine, the most popular X-Man of all time, 8 years to garner his first solo mini-series. Another six to be given a chance to star in his very own series. You could argue that the success of that book should have paved the way to more solo books featuring X-Men, and it did. A fair number of X-Men did get solo mini-series, the sales of which, I assume, weren't substantial enough to warrant graduating to an ongoing series. Storm has been a staple of the X-Men titles since her debut. That's kept her in steady publication for almost 40 years. That's a much more respectable history than a lot of characters get.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Also, why would Captain Marvel being the female face of Marvel stop Storm getting a solo series? It hasn't stopped Red She-Hulk getting one.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PassionFlower

This is an absurd and ridiculous question. .

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think its either of the characters listed. In fact, it has nothing to do with any fictional character at Marvel and all to do with the editorial staff at Marvel who do not want to see her with her on solo. @chalkshark I understand your statements but that is not all true. Gambit, Rogue, Emma Frost, Mystique, and Dazzler were all defined by their associations with the X-men and were given on-goings. If these characters can get solo titles, why shouldn't Storm have the same opportunity? It really boils down to there not being enough interest in the character on Marvel's end to adequately push or promote such a title.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

The only character stopping Storm from having her own book is Storm.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10 fesak  Moderator

It's because her mini series in the past sold poorly.

Eternelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody 'took' her book from her. It's not like the New 52 where there is a set amount of books. If Marvel thought that Storm could sustain her own solo book, she'd have one. It really is as simple as that.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By poisonfleur

@teerack said:

No Caption Provided

Oh NO You didn't--

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dernman  Online

Storm the answer is Storm

Toxicant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

Quite

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine seems to have control of the mainstream X-men crossover market. Surprised that he Isn't on the list.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dernman  Online

@teerack said:

aww man You beat me to it. I didn't see this post. :(

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already said "if" guys...

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

who else?

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one else. Storm is the reason that Storm isn't getting aa solo book HAHAHA.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Its her fanboys fault :)

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

None of them really. It's probably because there hasn't been any interest on Marvel's part to give Storm her own solo series, even though Storm is popular enough to possibly earn her own solo series.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

What is the point of this thread? Why do you blame these specific characters for cock-blocking Storm on a solo title? It's odd to pick out a handful of characters like this as the reason why Storm doesn't get her own book.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg said:

What is the point of this thread? Why do you blame these specific characters for cock-blocking Storm on a solo title? It's odd to pick out a handful of characters like this as the reason why Storm doesn't get her own book.

indeed, what is the point of you posting on this thread.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fodigg

@fodigg said:

To provide constructive feedback so you can improve your polls.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By AgeofHurricane

They need to establish her as a solo character before giving her a solo series. Current Marvel is too scared/not bothered go in that direction, which is why they've allowed fans to become complacent with her just leading a team/faction--further reinforcing her current position as "Mother of The X-Men" rather than "Storm".

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By AgeofHurricane

The notion of Storm not receiving a solo series because another character has prevented her from doing so is just...like...i can't even.

"We are people and we are what we choose."

We also have brains.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By Silver_Raven

Well it's really hard to give a character a solo book that can last and it's even harder because of the things working against her.

Firstly, she is a female, a black person, a leader figure who need followers, a rogue's gallery of friends and enemies, a reason to be on her own, and a creative team that would do her justice. I would love a proper Storm solo book but right now she is where she needs to be and finally getting the spotlight. We had to put up with two decades of her being underused, overlooked and unimportant.

If there ever was a time in the recent past for her to have a solo book it would have been when she was married off to Black Panther. Even though i didn't like that marriage or what it did for her character and involvement in the x-book post Decimation, i still would have liked her to have gotten some focus over there dealing with all her business. We could have seen her deal with Wakandan matters, become a diplomat and travel across the continent doing some good, or connecting with other Marvel heroes and villains. Sadly Black Panther stole all her stories and she was a supporting character in his book. Marvel couldn't even have been decent enough to have both of them share the title and had both their names on the book. It was so apparent she had no power in that relationship or in the marketing of those stories.

So if we are to see a future X-book just for Storm. I would love an origin book detailing her past better than i ever has been before. And i don't consider her mini-series leading up to the wedding was a farce. I want to finally know and see how see first used her powers, and follow her on her journey from Egypt to Kenya. And if she were to have a book set in the future maybe it would be to connect with her relatives and learn about her mystical heritage. I believe Ashake is still in the present collecting dust somewhere. Let them connect and go on a new journey to uncover their history and develop a new Ororo.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By joshmightbe

She's had several mini Series in the past, none of them sold well at all, I believe they sold less than the last Howard the Duck series, so no characters are holding her back she just hasn't proven to be a reliable pull on her own.

Eternelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

headdesks

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jhazzroucher

@fodigg said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@fodigg said:

I already emphasized that this is an "if" situation. Besides, other viners have given their constructive opinion

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@fodigg said:

I already emphasized that this is an "if" situation. Besides, other viners have given their constructive opinion

I get that it's an if, but it's still a very unusually specific if. Hence my expression of confusion. Why did you choose these specific characters to put forward as possible reasons why Storm somehow doesn't have a solo?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.