Follow

Storm

Character » Storm appears in 10183 issues.

Born to an American photo journalist and Kenyan princess, Ororo Munroe is one of the most recognizabe superheroines in the Marvel Universe. Using her unique ability to see and manipulate natural energy patterns of the universe to summon any type of weather phenomenon she desires in the blink of an eye, she is called Storm.

As a Storm fan, i can never be a Rogue fan.

• 64 results
    Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Silver_Raven

Ok, indulge me please, this is probably going to sound farfetched but i feel it is kind of accurate and has been on my mind for a long time and i finally have the desire to share. Others might feel differently but I think Storm has suffered a lot with Rogue stealing her spotlight.

So first off, i would like to say that i love Storm, and hate Rouge, but there was a time when I watched the X-men animated series, that Rogue was my second favourite character/heroine. I loved how they showed the friendship and partnership between them, and wish that writers would give them those kind of moments again. But so many things have changed over the years and in the comic they have no connection and Rogue has become so unlikable and seems to have overshadowed Storm until Marvel Now happened. So who know what the future holds but right now i want to look back at Rogue's history of stealing Storm's thunder, so to speak.

Depowerment

So this is essential to mention and also is literally when Rogue had a hand at stealing Storm's thunder. Even though she was an X-men at this point, Rogue was the reason Storm lost her powers. She was the target that Forge and Mystique shot at with their depowering laser but the shot meant for Rogue was intercepted by Storm. That i think is one of the first times Storm has been brought down for Rogue to rise up.

Gambit

The next thing that sticks out to me is how Storm is the one who found Gambit and if it wasn't for the fact that she was in child's body i feel she and Gambit should have been couple but then Rogue stole him away from her, and we had Storm stuck with Forge, who was the jerk who engineered of her depowering. Even though i don't need them to be a couple, i feel Rogue is always in the way of Storm and Gambit, because they definitely have affection for each other and are very flirty friends, they are never given that chance for whatever reason.

Magneto

So this is kind of random but let preface by stating how much i hate the Magneto and Rogue pairing. Mostly because i don't Rogue. But i can honestly see him with anyone else but her, yet the X-books kept on that awful pairing. And recently while reading some AoA book it had Storm paired Quicksilver and I think it would have made more sense for her to be with Magneto since they would seem to be a more logical and mature pairing. And really what does Mags see in Rogue, like ever?! I am also not even saying Stormneto should happen (lifelong Stormverine fan) but they make much more sense but again for whatever reason (and i can't help but think racist ones) Storm is never girlfriend material, unless your a villain and that's another reason why i feel reformed Mags would be interested in her. Yet her never is.

X-men movie

Now i know this is not about the comic but i feel Rogue's portrayal in that film boosted her popularity and took away from Storm's and Jean's development (which was kind of fixed in X2). I also feel this was the start of emo Rogue which took away from her strong and vibrant personality she had in the 80 and 90's. That movie i feel helped shape the direction of the comics in that decade and led to Storm's removal from the X-books and Rogue's rise in status.

Legacy

Now i don't know how this happened but when Storm was forced out of the X-book and forced into her arranged marriage with Black Panther. there was a void in the X-men and with both Jean and Storm, Emma and Rogue seemed to have taken over their roles after House of M. Rogue eventually took overbecame leader of the then Adjectiveless X-men and was the leader of that team and even after it changed to Legacy and starred Professor X, it somehow returned to star Rogue, like it was solo book. After years of awful stories under the pen of Mike Carey Rogue continued to steal the spotlight from everyone in that book and she became insufferable, unless you were a Rogue fan. It read like a fanfic where Rogue was the centre of th universe and had really do with any Legacy. Now if it had been Storm's book (maybe while still being married to BP) then we really could have seen Storm do what she does best, lead a team and be the alternative to the Cyclops, Emma and Wolverine show.

Teacher/Mentor

Another aspect that came out of Legacy was Rogue's portrayal as a teacher type, which never seemed organic or enlightened. I remember reading about how Rogue would teach the students how to use their powers by borrowing it from them and showing them how it worked. Now how annoying and condescending is that. Storm would teach by example and inspire those around her to do their best. She has been the maternal, big sister type since Kitty joined and would be much more nurturing. Sadly that role was also passed over to Rogue.

Uncanny Avengers

With the Avengers trying to include mutants more in their team in the aftermath of AvX, they have Rogue as the only X-woman on the team, and i think we all know who would have been the ideal choice. Storm had membership as Avenger for a just a few month before AvX but that apparently wasn't enough for her to remain one. She is no longer on any Avenger team and Havok was the one chose to lead the Uncanny Avengers when Storm would been ideal, again. Now, i can't help but feel yet again Rogue (and Havok) stealing Storm's thunder. And since i am on the topic, i have been hearing about Thor maybe flirting with Rogue, (i have no idea cuz i don't read that book) but yet again if Thor should be hitting on any X-woman, it should be Storm! Like for seriously.

Now if you read through all this, then i appreciate you going through my ramblings and hope you agree. If anyone can find other instances where Rogue has taken something from Storm or outshined her in some way i would love to know. I wish i could like Rogue but i honestly like least of all. Which is sad because i still love her in the animated series. maybe one day they can be friends again and i can see rogue in a new light but all i see her as is a thief. When that should be Storm's thing!

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Matchstick

Soooooo basically you're jealous of Rogue on behalf of Storm?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3  Edited By SC  Moderator

Oh I could have told you this. I recognize your username and posting style from another website, and I have always admired and respected your posts, and as a massive Storm and Rogue fan I noticed very early on that you seemed a bit harsh towards Rogue, but its actually a trend I have noticed with X-Fans. Despite being on a few comic book websites for a while I have only met one other comic fan who appreciated Storm, Emma, Psylocke, Kitty, Rogue, and Jean a whole, whole lot, the way I do. Usually other fans of those characters seem to dislike one of the others.

I like your points, for me Storm losing her powers was for her benefit, it made her one of comic books more three dimensional and complex characters. In fact as far as a super powered characters losing their powers and benefitting from it Storm is the benchmark for me. For Gambit I think Storm dodged a bullet, because Rogue and Gambits initial success has been dragged down by a decades worth of awful stories and plots around the characters. That could have been Storm dragged down as well for as long. Then again thanks to one huge Black Panther fanboy slash writer Storm did eventually get shot with a vibranium bullet. Oh and really popular and well liked Marvel writer Rick Remender? Yeah I am still suspicious of him just for the time he failed to recognize that Storm and Gambit were very good friends one time in an interview. Sounded too much like a Fraction thing to say. Point is I think Remy and Ro work way better as friends and occasional flirts, nothing more. More than that I think both characters need years of development as single characters before either are in a position where romance could be useful.

I am too lazy to carry on but I did read all your points, and they are great points with lots of merit and can see where you are coming from, I just disagree on a few points/factors. If we go down the line of characters taking the shine off of others almost all the X-Men apart from the 05 are guilty. Jean use to be the undisputed girl character, and Storm came in and providing an amazing alternative and ended up having a bigger potential and positioning as a leader. Cyclops? Not today but for a while Storm basically took his shine as well. Lots of ways to break it down, ultimately for me personally all the characters trade with each other, and because of that all the characters help define, benefit, expand and push each other. So whats needed is a writer that knows how to balance the characters and play off the characters well and so many of my favorite stories have Rogue and Storm. Not any recently, but still, that falls on writers not characters.

UltraBiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By UltraBiel

Disagree! They powers work differently, You can't blame the existence of Rogue, but bad writting from Marvel for Storm current situation. And by the way Rogue's movie version sucks compared to 90's cartoon and comics. And as debated before in this forum, the main reason in my opinion that Storm is not in Uncanny avengers has nothing to do with Rogue, in fact, it's more about the Avengers and how they are being written azs USA's official heroes, so they needed to give the spotlight to an obscure character: Havoc and could only have characters that are troubled (like rogue) or easy manipulated (Like wolverine) it would be completly out of character if Storm joined the team and become another leap dog to the avengers like Wolverine.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Storm is more popular than Rogue so I don't really understand how the OP makes any sense. Rogue if anything was getting her just due, she is a fairly important character in the Marvel Universe. You can be a Rogue fan. I'm not much anymore because she lost Ms.Marvel's powers but I would never not be a fan of a character because of what they've taken from another

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PassionFlower

I like Rogue. Writers have their picks and their favorites can't take out on the characters imo.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PassionFlower

@Vance Astro said:

Storm is more popular than Rogue so I don't really understand how the OP makes any sense. Rogue if anything was getting her just due, she is a fairly important character in the Marvel Universe. You can be a Rogue fan. I'm not much anymore because she lost Ms.Marvel's powers but I would never not be a fan of a character because of what they've taken from another

I agree. And I love carol so I'm glad she is restored but Rogue with that power set in my most memorial Rogue,

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By SupremeHyperion

I would never hate another character out of jealousy :) that's pretty new to me

d

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Silver_Raven

@SC: @SC said:

Oh I could have told you this. I recognize your username and posting style from another website, and I have always admired and respected your posts, and as a massive Storm and Rogue fan I noticed very early on that you seemed a bit harsh towards Rogue, but its actually a trend I have noticed with X-Fans. Despite being on a few comic book websites for a while I have only met one other comic fan who appreciated Storm, Emma, Psylocke, Kitty, Rogue, and Jean a whole, whole lot, the way I do. Usually other fans of those characters seem to dislike one of the others.

I like your points, for me Storm losing her powers was for her benefit, it made her one of comic books more three dimensional and complex characters. In fact as far as a super powered characters losing their powers and benefitting from it Storm is the benchmark for me. For Gambit I think Storm dodged a bullet, because Rogue and Gambits initial success has been dragged down by a decades worth of awful stories and plots around the characters. That could have been Storm dragged down as well for as long. Then again thanks to one huge Black Panther fanboy slash writer Storm did eventually get shot with a vibranium bullet. Oh and really popular and well liked Marvel writer Rick Remender? Yeah I am still suspicious of him just for the time he failed to recognize that Storm and Gambit were very good friends one time in an interview. Sounded too much like a Fraction thing to say. Point is I think Remy and Ro work way better as friends and occasional flirts, nothing more. More than that I think both characters need years of development as single characters before either are in a position where romance could be useful.

I am too lazy to carry on but I did read all your points, and they are great points with lots of merit and can see where you are coming from, I just disagree on a few points/factors. If we go down the line of characters taking the shine off of others almost all the X-Men apart from the 05 are guilty. Jean use to be the undisputed girl character, and Storm came in and providing an amazing alternative and ended up having a bigger potential and positioning as a leader. Cyclops? Not today but for a while Storm basically took his shine as well. Lots of ways to break it down, ultimately for me personally all the characters trade with each other, and because of that all the characters help define, benefit, expand and push each other. So whats needed is a writer that knows how to balance the characters and play off the characters well and so many of my favorite stories have Rogue and Storm. Not any recently, but still, that falls on writers not characters.

Well, i wish i could like Rogue because i do love and support all the X-women, right down to Stacy X, but i really can't find any thing to love in how Rogue has been portrayed over the past decade especially, under Mike Carey crushing favouritism. That title gave us more Rogue than was deserving and left a lot of X-women in the cold. Rogue also doesn't seem to have any connections with anyone but men and or the students she claimed to have cared for. So i feel the writers have really made her unlikable in that regard. Similar to how Emma can be unlikeable, when she portrayed as Scott's girlfriend, or as an ice queen with no real friendships with other women. And it was these two characters that stole the spotlight for a long time until Marvel Now! happened. We finally have Storm, Psylocke, Rachel, Polaris, Kitty and even Jean back now so i am much more happier about the whole situation.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By butterflykyss

@UltraBiel said:

Disagree! They powers work differently, You can't blame the existence of Rogue, but bad writting from Marvel for Storm current situation. And by the way Rogue's movie version sucks compared to 90's cartoon and comics. And as debated before in this forum, the main reason in my opinion that Storm is not in Uncanny avengers has nothing to do with Rogue, in fact, it's more about the Avengers and how they are being written azs USA's official heroes, so they needed to give the spotlight to an obscure character: Havoc and could only have characters that are troubled (like rogue) or easy manipulated (Like wolverine) it would be completly out of character if Storm joined the team and become another leap dog to the avengers like Wolverine.

Good points.. I wouldn't want O'roro to be ANYONE's lap dog..

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Silver_Raven

I wouldn't call it jealousy, because I know Storm has more potential, which has been wasted, and has a iconic status, that again has been ignored. I just can't accept what the writers have done to boost Rogue's role, as well as Emma, at the cost of the other X-women, my little rant is really to poke fun at all the attention i feel should have gone to Storm, as the top female X-man, but whether it be because she's black in regards to her relationships, or because she's too powerful which scares/intimidates writers, or because Marvel had a decades of bad portrayals of X-women. And let me remind you all how the X-book were male dominated and had few iconic X-women because they were in some kind of limbo (Jean was/is dead, Storm was in Wakanda, Psylocke and Sage were Exiled, Rachel and Polaris were lost in space, Dani was depowered and Kitty was in some giant bullet). So when we have just have Emma and Rogue then i am going to be extra critical and upset. And I definitely blame the writers and editors, Rogue and Emma are just easier targets. It confounds me how those two characters can have so much support and interest from the creators and fans a like.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By butterflykyss

@Silver_Raven said:

I wouldn't call it jealousy, because I know Storm has more potential, which has been wasted, and has a iconic status, that again has been ignored. I just can't accept what the writers have done to boost Rogue's role, as well as Emma, at the cost of the other X-women, my little rant is really to poke fun at all the attention i feel should have gone to Storm, as the top female X-man, but whether it be because she's black in regards to her relationships, or because she's too powerful which scares/intimidates writers, or because Marvel had a decades of bad portrayals of X-women. And let me remind you all how the X-book were male dominated and had few iconic X-women because they were in some kind of limbo (Jean was/is dead, Storm was in Wakanda, Psylocke and Sage were Exiled, Rachel and Polaris were lost in space, Dani was depowered and Kitty was in some giant bullet). So when we have just have Emma and Rogue then i am going to be extra critical and upset. And I definitely blame the writers and editors, Rogue and Emma are just easier targets. It confounds me how those two characters can have so much support and interest from the creators and fans a like.

Making some good points in here love...

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SC  Moderator

@Silver_Raven said:

Well, i wish i could like Rogue because i do love and support all the X-women, right down to Stacy X, but i really can't find any thing to love in how Rogue has been portrayed over the past decade especially, under Mike Carey crushing favouritism. That title gave us more Rogue than was deserving and left a lot of X-women in the cold. Rogue also doesn't seem to have any connections with anyone but men and or the students she claimed to have cared for. So i feel the writers have really made her unlikable in that regard. Similar to how Emma can be unlikeable, when she portrayed as Scott's girlfriend, or as an ice queen with no real friendships with other women. And it was these two characters that stole the spotlight for a long time until Marvel Now! happened. We finally have Storm, Psylocke, Rachel, Polaris, Kitty and even Jean back now so i am much more happier about the whole situation.

Compared to Chris Claremont's "crushing favoritism" of Wolverine, and Storm in the majority of his stories? Especially the 80's? I mean I can empathize, but if your not a Rogue fan then I can understand how her appearing in such a book for so long denying others opportunity could be annoying, but I am a Rogue fan myself and I did like Carey as a writer but overall I found what he did with her and how many issues he required to do what he did with her thoroughly unsatisfactory. Way too drawn out. Character usage is different to character development and that doesn't always translate to character benefits, in fact characters can experience more exposure as a detriment to themselves. I am also a Emma Frost fan, so I really know that exposure and panel time doesn't always mean the best for a character. Dammit Fraction. lol Sometimes its not even about the character. Storm appears in a lot of Marvel promotional material, well shucks she doesn't really "deserve" it, they just use Storm because she is a representative of the X-Men and fits two minorities. She leaves a lot of other X-Woman and etc etc out in the cold too. I mean again the exclusivity of this sort of argument isn't so exclusive and can be applied a lot of ways. Ditto the argument about Rogues connections applying to Storm and so many other characters. Do you dislike Storm now for instances writers wrote her poorly? Or do you recognize poor writing when you observe it?

Then I find a simple disconnect with how you and me observe the characters. Fictional. They don't steal, writers and editors position them. I mean the language you use when talking about Rogue is different when you talk about other characters, I am sure you already realize this. Negative aspects about the character is Rogues fault - but other characters are regarded more objectively? Plus Storm and Kitty have had great stories in the last few years. Astonishing series. Psylocke had a great mini series. Tis a tricky thing to compare character portrayals and most assuredly character panel time and exposure is one way, but the best way would always be to consider that among other things, surely.

Awwh yeah, Stacy X!

telepathic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By telepathic666

the only x female to not get her dues till recently is psylocke. she was virtually unseen in the cartoons. and im a fan of rogue but there are meh times. the only x-man i am truly tired of is wolverine. he is the batman of comics. used to severice fandomand fanatics at the expense of real fans.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By poisonfleur

Personally if Anyone stole Storm's role/place in the X-men, I think it was Emma Frost. She took Jean and Storm's spot.

Also Rogue's character on whole needs to get it together.

Where did the loud energy, big hair, wonder woman/ms. marvel like powers go? No one gives a f**k about this boring @zz emo chick who talks herself to death... Such a snooze compared to her 90s counterparts. I only read legacy because of Rachel and Frenzy (who acts more like Rogue than Rogue does!) The only thing that Rogue did worth mention in the last decade for me was: Join the Uncanny Avengers and Punch the scarlet wiatch in the face.

But you are right-- If anyone should have received a call to join uncanny Avengers it should have been:

1) Wolverine

2) Beast

then

3) Storm

Considering they were already Avengers. (Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver too.)

One more thing!!

Don't Forget Storm and Gambit made-out while she was skinny dipping in a pool (while he was dating Rogue at the time) in X-treme X-men & he has even admitted to being attracted to Storm. So Scandalous! You go Storm~!

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By jhazzroucher

I am both a Storm and Rogue fan.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Mercy_
    @Vance Astro
    Thaaaaank you.
    Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ashra

Maybe this ownage will make you feel better.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Blood1991

@Mercy_ said:

@Vance Astro
    Thaaaaank you.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Matchstick said:

Yep I read it as that.

Why are storm fans so insane?

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@Vance Astro said:

Possibly one of the worst decisions ever made by the X-writers........it made her pwnage of people during AVX more interesting, but I seriously need her to be a powerhouse.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By butterflykyss

@TheCrowbar said:

@Matchstick said:

Yep I read it as that.

How does one person opinion about a character make all Storm fans insane?

@White Mage said:

@Vance Astro said:

Possibly one of the worst decisions ever made by the X-writers........it made her pwnage of people during AVX more interesting, but I seriously need her to be a powerhouse.

Yes I miss the Ms Marvel Rogue as well.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheCrowbar

@butterflykyss: Oh it's not one person, and you know it. We've had issues with others on this site.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By butterflykyss

@TheCrowbar said:

@butterflykyss: Oh it's not one person, and you know it. We've had issues with others on this site.

More than one doesn't equate to all of her fans...

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mercy_

Why does everybody feel the need to lump all Storm fans into one label as if that ISN'T going to exacerbate things?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mercy_
    @Mercy_
    Why does everybody feel the need to lump all Storm fans into one label as if that ISN'T going to exacerbate things?
    Haha. I'm stupid.

*some people
    Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Blood1991

@Mercy_ said:

@Mercy_
    Haha. I'm stupid. *some people

Thank you. Jeez I haven't done a damn thing to anybody and yet I get treated like I kicked someones dog by some people on this forum.

Look many Storm fans have tired "like really really tried" to beat away that notion. I understand old prejudice dies hard, but honestly more of us are good then bad and a couple of bad apples doesn't mean you should cut down the tree.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PassionFlower

@butterflykyss said:

@TheCrowbar said:

More than one doesn't equate to all of her fans...

That's something when people hear I'm a major Storm fan I sometimes feel like I'm getting the side-eye and THEN I get the "you're not like the rest of them/wish there were more like you". As I tell them we are a pretty diverse lot and pretty much run the gamut but there is a tendency to lump.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lykopis

Disagree with the OP -- on many points -- why the need to point out Rogue or Emma at all? Why is it a female against female issue?

Don't like Rogue now? Okay -- your opinion and I respect. But to claim one character deserves less attention in direct correlation to your favourite character is a bit strange. You point out Rogue and you point out Emma as character crowding the spotlight? How about Wolverine, or Magneto or Namor or Quentin Quire?

I adore Storm. I adore Rogue. Not because of the 90's animated depiction but because of each character's development through the years under the hands of good and not so good writers.

Rogue is a good mentor -- a good teacher -- a good leader and has grown. Sure, spit-fire and sass is great, she still has it but not in reaction to emotions she couldn't deal with. The character has grown.

She didn't steal Gambit -- lol -- and I agree with you about Magneto, but in reverse. He can keep his grubby hands off her. Their pairing was to give Magneto a white-wash to get him up and comfy with the big kahuna, Cyclops.

Interesting topic though -- I have never viewed one female character as the reason for another female character's lack or loss of spotlight. Maybe I should though -- do writers really pick and choose and then discard characters purely based on their gender?

I don't know. I like to think they don't but it's possible.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Silver_Raven

@TheCrowbar said:

@Matchstick said:

Yep I read it as that.

We are all insane to be so fanatical about the X-men and on these boards. I just care a lot about the X-women and like to point out the problem i see from my perspective and through a critical lens. Just because you don't understand or are just ignorant to the reasons why Storm is so exceptional and significant you shouldn't antagonize us because then we will respond to you like this...

I, like many others, have had to put up with inadequate writers, meaningless stories and flawed character development. I have been left embittered, unimpressed and alienated towards the characters I fell in love with as a kid. And as a woman of colour now, who rarely sees heroes like Storm represented well in such a white male dominated genre like comics, so i am going to have a more personal stake in this. I am going to be extra critical and vocal about how she and other female minority heroes are being treated poorly unlike the rest of the white males in every super hero book. So when I or anyone invests time, energy, creativity and money into Storm (or someone like her) that means she is worth it and deserving of the praise she sadly doesn't always get.

And what Storm has that not every X-men has is that in the book and outside of it she represents the Other in society and for many of us who can relate to that concept and feeling we are more protective and persistent and vocal. The books have not been good to Storm and her portrayal has not been up to par and even though Marvel has given her an iconic status the writers that have come and gone have not done Storm justice. Until they are more heroic women of colour for us to pick and chose from and when the writers are finally as diverse as the characters they write than I am going to continue to claim Storm as the most important X-men deserving of every book, every story, every cartoon, every movie, every video game, every whatever, until people like you realize she is worth it.

She may be a fictional character but she represents far more to some of us then just some token black female mutant. So go on and enjoy your generic white male superheroes, and take your weak ass women who pander to the male gaze and get them out my face. I only have time for Storm and any other HBIC.

P.S. Sorry Rogue fans, she is obviously not the source of the problem i just can't stand her next to Storm. And she often sets off my fan fire. Maybe that will change in the future.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By butterflykyss

@Blood1991 said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Mercy_

Thank you. Jeez I haven't done a damn thing to anybody and yet I get treated like I kicked someones dog by some people on this forum.

Look many Storm fans have tired "like really really tried" to beat away that notion. I understand old prejudice dies hard, but honestly more of us are good then bad and a couple of bad apples doesn't mean you should cut down the tree.

well said

@PassionFlower: we r very diverse, probably why we are so misunderstood

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Silver_Raven said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@Matchstick said:

Yep I read it as that.

We are all insane to be so fanatical about the X-men and on these boards.

Fanaticism is never okay about anything. I'm not picking on Storm fans alone on this, I make fun of the "Cyclops was right" idiots as well. And the Batgod fans too. But when I see it I call it. Ranting doesn't make you logical, being excessively emotional about a character doesn't make your argument more compelling it just makes the character far more repulsive.

@Blood1991 said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Mercy_

It's not an old prejudice if there's a very loud portion of the Storm fanbase being fanatical, constantly.

@Mercy_ said:

Go look at my post history, I do the same with Cyclops fans all the time. My reaction is perfectly natural, go to any forum, about any subject do what a very loud portion of the Storm fanbase has done. People are going to hate the character or discussing the subject.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Blood1991

@TheCrowbar: Yes, but it is no where near as bad as it was. I understand being annoyed with it. Hell I'm a fan and I'm often annoyed by it, but in my experience confronting it does nothing and you know I tried. I came up with a comprehensive way to attempt to handle this and it didn't work.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Blood1991: It's getting back up there, when I see stupid threads like this they beg for a response. If it was just one user, I would totally understand, but the Storm fetish, which is what it is, is at the point where it needs and deserves ridicule. I look at Storm as a joke character now, not like Deadpool joke character, like a character that is a joke and doesn't realize it. And go around and ask other Marvel fans, they'll say the same thing. The height of her popularity, she was campy. Halle Berry did kind of save the character, but that movie was almost half a decade ago and fans have tried their damnedest to bring storm back to her "GAIA AND MOTHER NATURE I CALL UPON YOU" stupidity and Marvel will respond to that and not in any good way.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SC  Moderator

So as a pansexual quarter Polynesian, quarter German, quarter South Korean, quarter African, who was born with no legs, or eyes and reads my favorite character from my favorite indy Jamaican online comic she/he/it (Varry the Gender Confused Sexual Unorientated Oriental Minotaur Robot from Venus) represents more to me than other people and how they receive their favorite characters. So go on and take your generic American comic book characters who fake diversity, your generic white and black and Asian, and Norse and Greek heroes, weak man and female characters and weak ass woman who pander to male gaze and female gaze and homosexual gaze and lesbian gaze and suffer from tokenism and having dark skin but also white straight hair and all the best bits of ethnicities, and get them out of my face, I only have time for Varry the Gender Confused Sexual Unorientated Oriental Minotaur Robot from Venus and other OG4RAGNTFFAH (Original Gangsta 4 Real Ain't Got No Time For Fake Ass Ho's) and Varry actually represents and stands for something, and has originality and credibility but not y'all favorite characters. Varry even has its/her/his sexual organs in his/her/its eyes so when people are being pandered to, its with R.E.S.P.E.C.T. Okay I went overboard there ^_^

Never mind that all fans can appreciate and relate and find beauty, meaning and strength and inspiration from all manner of different characters for different reasons all as authentic and sincere as another fan and their favorites and experiences?? I feel like I am missing something here? Its one thing for a person to find appreciation and pride in a character and the term fictional is not derogatory. This is a site for fictional characters after all really, so most of the posters here probably love fictional characters in a really beautiful and sincere way. Especially how we find meaning in our characters and also our ability to fear and worry about them and their treatment and to want to protect them and see them utilized well with tender love and care. To disparage other characters and fans interactions though? I just don't see it. An opinion is one thing, but claiming superiority because of a personal connection? I see merit in holding a character up for their contributions and value and potential. The execution of those traits, or the failure to have a character live up to them, I can't find merit in trashing other characters because they happen to share superficial traits or have been used/exploited by creators (what character hasn't been mistreated this way?) wanting to sell a book.

(love (all) the discussion and points in thread)

No Caption Provided
    Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Blood1991

@TheCrowbar: Fans is such a generic term and I have never seen a single person here ask for that. Most hate Halle's role, accept 90's cartoon Storm was cheesy "as were the other characters" and that Storm's character has been dissolving over the last decade. That isn't something I or any right minded person "which I know you think is few and far in between here" doesn't understand. However, I still believe she is a great character that deserves her fanbase no matter how disturbed I accept some are. She is a historically significant heroine and one of the longest staying X-Men as both a leader and member. Marvel even admitted out of the X-Men she had changed least over the last 10 years and I see them just now working to rectify that as they did in X-Men when Wood was writing and what will be attempted in UXF.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Blood1991 said:

@TheCrowbar: Fans is such a generic term and I have never seen a single person here ask for that. Most hate Halle's role, accept 90's cartoon Storm was cheesy "as were the other characters" and that Storm's character has been dissolving over the last decade. That isn't something I or any right minded person "which I know you think is few and far in between here" doesn't understand. However, I still believe she is a great character that deserves her fanbase no matter how disturbed I accept some are. She is a historically significant heroine and one of the longest staying X-Men as both a leader and member. Marvel even admitted out of the X-Men she had changed least over the last 10 years and I see them just now working to rectify that as they did in X-Men when Wood was writing and what will be attempted in UXF.

If all you see of cheesecake fans is: "CHEESECAKE IZ DA BEST I WEAR IT ON MY HEAD" and there's a small portion going "No...we like cheese cake too...but not on our heads" which are you going to think is majority?

Storm Calling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Storm Calling
    @TheCrowbar: It's not a majority, it's mainly the same ones going everywhere.
    WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By WARLOCK2792

Rogue NEEDS her screen time....BADLY. Marvel knows they messed up with her powers, and this is her redemption

Storm is going to be in, what, 5 books? I ain't worried

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Blood1991

@TheCrowbar: Well that's.... A colorful analogy a good one though I suppose. However I honestly consider them to be Rybitsu's witnesses. Look at it this way those Cheesecake fans got a reaction out of you by acting like well lunatics. So now we go over the world wide web where apparently people have nothing better to do then annoy other people online. They have the perfect niche to go about this all day. I think alot of this is just attention hungry nonsense to stir a reaction and since we do have our loonies here they get one regardless.

I'm not saying that some of these people aren't touched in the head, because here on comicvine that seems to be a trend for many characters, but try to look for the exceptions instead of the norm if you feel the entirety is bad.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By WARLOCK2792

More people should try to make their favorite characters this popular to talk about

Sawdy, but I've lost my ability to get hype over stuff like this. I'ma get my comics, and my cocktail, and prepare for boy/girl talk

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Blood1991: If you haven't noticed, most of my responses have been one or two lines. This hasn't created an emotional or annoyed response in me. If it did, I would be far more, effective in dealing with it. But look at all you Storm fans, you've been shamed. You can't call it an unfair label for your(General you, not you Blood) particular brand of fandom.

@White Mage: I'd rather not have my favorite characters butchered into this level of "popularity"

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Blood1991

@TheCrowbar: I can say it is unfair. It is unfair to make an assumption about a group of people regardless of the reasons, because we are each different. God Spawn and Mercy are both Emma Frost and Cyclops fans and I don't think all Mods are. A sh!t poor example, but it's 4 am in the morning so cut me some slack. I understand that you aren't annoyed or at least as annoyed by this. I've seen you annoyed lol. I just want you and others to see that the whole is not responsible for its parts here.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@TheCrowbar: That's a shame....you have no clue what you're missing......................................I'm about to start a church, and buy a boat

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Silver_Raven

I love that i have been judged "insane' by some of you like that is a bad thing. I don't stigmatize that word sorry. But I guess my thread was too farfetched and no one could get where i was coming from. Not a surprise since most of you don't have the perspective of a Latina in love with the X-men. It's a lonely club i know.

Anyways, that's all in the past now and we now have Storm finally reclaiming her title as the top X-woman (until the day Jean really comes back). All the years i would visit these sites and boards would be to vent some steam and hope for the best but continue to get the worst. But i think this year might finally be it. And i can stop voicing my opinions on the state of Storm in the X-books. I have been waiting so long for Storm to get her shine back and for Rogue to wander off to be the shadow of the x-women she once was. I wish all you Rogue fans luck with her Uncanny Avengers run. Hopefully she will permanently absorb some personality and power since she sadly lacks any and evolves as a character.

Marvel Now! continues to bring a smile to my face with each passing month and after a decade long wait I finally feel like my Storm fanaticism is going to be rewarded. Maybe i will be so happy i wont have to complain and whine all the time about Storm not being treated justly, becuz the long fight may be over. (If only I was a bigger Jean fan, i would start a similar thread about Emma stealing Jean's everything, but i m sure that's been done already.)

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Silver_Raven: I only hope your irrationality is limited to comics. At this point in time, from the voice in your writing, you seem rather hateful. Storm's fall from grace wasn't Rogue fault, how could it be? Rogue isn't a real person.

@White Mage said:

@TheCrowbar: That's a shame....you have no clue what you're missing......................................I'm about to start a church, and buy a boat

Boats are a money pit.

Churches, I don't really want to get into religion.

You shouldn't be happy with the current Storm, she's at best a parody, she's neither an inspiration or an icon in her current form.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jhazzroucher

I love the strong and flying Rogue than the current Rogue.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@TheCrowbar said:

@Silver_Raven: I only hope your irrationality is limited to comics. At this point in time, from the voice in your writing, you seem rather hateful. Storm's fall from grace wasn't Rogue fault, how could it be? Rogue isn't a real person.

@White Mage said:

Boats are a money pit.

Churches, I don't really want to get into religion.

You shouldn't be happy with the current Storm, she's at best a parody, she's neither an inspiration or an icon in her current form.

I haven't be pleased with the current depictions of Storm. Some of gotten really close to Claremont glory, but these writers don't do their research, and they write her as something she is not......that's why I'm glad that she's cutting her hair.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By PassionFlower

I wouldn't be adverse to Rogue and Storm and even Emma in the speculated XX series. Bring all the female big guns.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jhazzroucher

I actually like the story of Rogue coming to Prof X'es aid and Storm wasn't sure of accepting her.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.