What happened to her baby?

#1 Posted by spiderboy68 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I read somewhere that she got pregnant by her boyfriend (Tim?) but it didn't say what happened to the baby. And I don't think she's mentioned it since her return. So....what happened? Is the baby alive? Was that retconed? Thanks.

#2 Posted by Mercy_ (92686 posts) - - Show Bio

She was preggers? When was this?

#3 Posted by LightBright (4297 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't remember her ever being pregnant...>_> 

Was this before or after she "died"?

#4 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

This was a long long time ago.  Long before she died, when Steph was still Spoiler.  Tim wasn't the father, but they became close while she was pregnant.  Tim had gone to boarding school, but returned for the birth.

All I know is that she gave the baby up for adoption.  If they baby has made any appearances since, I don't know... but it does seem like a potential traumatic storyline for future.

#5 Posted by THALASTDRAGON (387 posts) - - Show Bio

never heard that before, but that could be cuz i just got into tha character.  that could definitely make for a good storyline.
#6 Posted by spiderboy68 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

So the baby's father doesn't have the baby? It would be interesting to see her go to see the baby. Maybe try to get full custody. Or maybe have some villain use him or her to get to Stephanie. A lot  of possibilities.

#7 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

On her death bed, Batman promised that her child would 'want for nothing'.  That was pretty much the last time I'd heard of her child being mentioned.

#8 Posted by entropy_aegis (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

It was an idiotic plot twist even moreso than the jason/talia scene and thats saying something. i believe it was retconned when she returned though i am not sure,where do these crap writers come from?
#9 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
" It was an idiotic plot twist even moreso than the jason/talia scene and thats saying something. i believe it was retconned when she returned though i am not sure,where do these crap writers come from? "
Teenage pregnancy isn't an idiotic plot twist, it's just as realistic as gay or black characters.  It was an interesting dynamic for the Robin series.  Sadly, comic books don't support infant characters so the baby had to go...  Just think of it as the 4-color crack version of Juno (about a decade before Juno was made).
#10 Posted by spiderboy68 (17 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrMiracle77 said:
" On her death bed, Batman promised that her child would 'want for nothing'.  That was pretty much the last time I'd heard of her child being mentioned. "
What exactly does that mean? He'd take care of it?
#11 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderboy68: 
I assume so.  Like I said, no mention since then.  Maybe a trusted couple at Wayne Industries were looking to adopt.
#12 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

like most comic babies, it showed up for 2 or 3 issues then dissappeared forever.

#13 Posted by entropy_aegis (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:
 i disagree,what did her having a baby add to the plot?
#14 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
"@xerox-kitty:  i disagree,what did her having a baby add to the plot? "

It focussed the story on Steph & Tim's relationship, which wasn't a straight forward boy-meets-girl story.  What does being grumpy about an old storyline that's mostly unknown add to this thread?
#15 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

Teenage pregnancy is awesome!

#16 Posted by entropy_aegis (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:
Except that tim wasnt the father. and babies are just for an emotional response from the readers,so that the fans could feel sympathy for both the child and the parent.
#17 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
"

Teenage pregnancy is awesome!

"
lol
#18 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" This was a long long time ago.  Long before she died, when Steph was still Spoiler.  Tim wasn't the father, but they became close while she was pregnant.  Tim had gone to boarding school, but returned for the birth. All I know is that she gave the baby up for adoption.  If they baby has made any appearances since, I don't know... but it does seem like a potential traumatic storyline for future. "
The Robin ongoing was amazing back then. Amazing!
#19 Posted by crowncoke (206 posts) - - Show Bio

Having a child by one of the various characters in these comics only adds to the human factor.  I have to say, that Bruce being who he is, will make sure that any child of one of his close friends/family will be taken care of.  I have a feeling that some 'worthy' family is now caring for the child and Bruce has them taken care of.  I would think that this family is possibly watched for just as Catwoman's daughter is cared for.  As for the relevance of the story, Robin at the time was dealing with 'teenage' issues as well as his school and his alternate identity and everything that went with that.  This was just another issue for him to deal with.
#20 Posted by queenfrost_ (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the baby story gave Steph a lot more depth and was a wise move by the writers.
Plus it could be a possible turning point for her run as Batgirl if the child ever does show up again. Same with Helena Kyle

#21 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@queenfrost_ said:
" I think the baby story gave Steph a lot more depth and was a wise move by the writers. Plus it could be a possible turning point for her run as Batgirl if the child ever does show up again. Same with Helena Kyle "
Knowing the predictability of comics if the baby shows back up this will turn into Cassie (The Baby) & Lady Shiva (Steph) all over again.
#22 Posted by Honor Girl (1381 posts) - - Show Bio

To those who didn't know... yes Stephanie was pregnant, and Tim Drake was even there for the birth of the child. Stephanie however gave the child up for adoption, not so much because she couldn't care for it, but because of the safty of her child. She had a dream about the villains of Gotham finding out she was The Spoiler, and threatened to kill her child, it was after this dream she decided she had to give her baby up.
It was kinda cute seeing Tim trying to be there for Stephanie during the entire pregnancy and birth. He even came up with a whole new persona, Alvin Draper. Anyways... pics! 

This was actually a dream that Steph had about the baby, before she had it. It was in THIS dream that she decided NOT not keep the baby.

Talking about the baby with Tim

Robin visiting Stephanie after the birth of the baby.

The two joking around about Tim helping out Steph with her pegnancy.

Tim as "Alvin Draper" at the hospital during the baby's birth.

'Alvin' and Steph xD
#23 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Honor Girl: Thanks.  It's sweet seeing those pics.
#24 Posted by MichonneHack27 (185 posts) - - Show Bio

Got adopted and never saw it again. If I'm guessing right.
#25 Posted by Munsu (164 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: @xerox-kitty said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
" It was an idiotic plot twist even moreso than the jason/talia scene and thats saying something. i believe it was retconned when she returned though i am not sure,where do these crap writers come from? "
Teenage pregnancy isn't an idiotic plot twist, it's just as realistic as gay or black characters.  It was an interesting dynamic for the Robin series.  Sadly, comic books don't support infant characters so the baby had to go...  Just think of it as the 4-color crack version of Juno (about a decade before Juno was made). "
No, I'd say it was a pretty idiotic, although maybe that is too harsh a word to use. It was just a very poor, and a little cheap, attempt by the writers to try and draw some symapthy for her character at the expense of some nameless child that she has with some faceless boy. I mean the writers were obviously trying to figure out a way for her and Tim to become close, but it is beyond me why they decided on that way being her carrying around someone elses kid. They were probably trying to interject some "real social issue" into the story by introducing teenage pregnancy to be edgy, but it just didn't work, and they rarely do in comics without feeling forced in. I just hate it when writers use pregnancy, sex, or other similar tools to try and stir up some unnecessary drama and that is what happened here. Since her baby wasn't even a character but more of a tool to try and catch the readers interest that when it has served its purpose would be dropped and forgotten about without hesitation.

But the thing that bothers me the most about this whole thing is her giving up the child for adoption (which seems to be the cure-all for all unneeded superhero offspring) because it felt like she would rather continue running around on rooftops in crazy outfits fighting crime than taking responsibility and raising her child. I'm sure Bruce would have given her the resources to raise her child happily, but she didn't want to do that. I know she gave the child up in order for it to have a better life, but if she really wanted to raise her child she could have, and the fact she didn't kind of lessens her character in my eyes a little bit. 

Of course I really haven't been following any of her more recent stories that closely and I don't know if any of the writers mention/use the fact she had a kid and gave it up or if they decided to completely ignore it, but I hope that it isn't the latter. Since glossing over such a significant event in her life would be a disservice to it ever happening. But I don't have any expectations to the child ever showing up again though.
#26 Posted by jukeboxheroabc (148 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps the same family that adopted Stephanie's daughter adopted Helena Kyle as well. 

#27 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9011 posts) - - Show Bio

She gave her baby up for adoption 

#28 Posted by batflasharrow96 (445 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis: That is a stupid way to look at it and it's a realistic thing.
#29 Edited by sunofdarkchild (13 posts) - - Show Bio

@Munsu said:

@xerox-kitty: @xerox-kitty said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
Teenage pregnancy isn't an idiotic plot twist, it's just as realistic as gay or black characters. It was an interesting dynamic for the Robin series. Sadly, comic books don't support infant characters so the baby had to go... Just think of it as the 4-color crack version of Juno (about a decade before Juno was made).

"
No, I'd say it was a pretty idiotic, although maybe that is too harsh a word to use. It was just a very poor, and a little cheap, attempt by the writers to try and draw some symapthy for her character at the expense of some nameless child that she has with some faceless boy. I mean the writers were obviously trying to figure out a way for her and Tim to become close, but it is beyond me why they decided on that way being her carrying around someone elses kid. They were probably trying to interject some "real social issue" into the story by introducing teenage pregnancy to be edgy, but it just didn't work, and they rarely do in comics without feeling forced in. I just hate it when writers use pregnancy, sex, or other similar tools to try and stir up some unnecessary drama and that is what happened here. Since her baby wasn't even a character but more of a tool to try and catch the readers interest that when it has served its purpose would be dropped and forgotten about without hesitation. But the thing that bothers me the most about this whole thing is her giving up the child for adoption (which seems to be the cure-all for all unneeded superhero offspring) because it felt like she would rather continue running around on rooftops in crazy outfits fighting crime than taking responsibility and raising her child. I'm sure Bruce would have given her the resources to raise her child happily, but she didn't want to do that. I know she gave the child up in order for it to have a better life, but if she really wanted to raise her child she could have, and the fact she didn't kind of lessens her character in my eyes a little bit. Of course I really haven't been following any of her more recent stories that closely and I don't know if any of the writers mention/use the fact she had a kid and gave it up or if they decided to completely ignore it, but I hope that it isn't the latter. Since glossing over such a significant event in her life would be a disservice to it ever happening. But I don't have any expectations to the child ever showing up again though.

Bumping this thread.

Many of these things are stunts for whatever purpose. The question is, are they done well? In the case of Steph's pregnacy the answer is yes. It was well written and didn't overwhelm the Robin title either. People did feel bad for her, and sshe did come across as strong. If it was up to her she would have kept the baby, but she had pressure from many quarters to have an abortion, and anyone who didn't give her that advice told her the only option was adoption, including Tim. The deciding factor was that she did not want her baby to be part of the world she grew up in, surrounded by crime and drugs and with a super-criminal for a grandfather who could do who knows what to the kid. She realized that keeping the baby would mean risking its life.

It was brought up a number of times. At one point the father, who ran out on her right after she saved his life when the earthquake hit, came back and was a douche about his ex having his baby while he was gone, so she beat the crap out of him. In Cass' Batgirl, Steph talks about how she gave her baby up for adoption and Cass freaks out at the idea of Tim being a daddy, then gets jealous of Steph because she'd never been kissed by a boy. It was brought up a number of times at the beginning and end of War Games. After that Steph herself was swept under the rug, and after she was brought back it wasn't mentioned again. I think it was a mistake to never mention it in her Batgirl series, but they treated her as if her continuity started with War Games.

As for help from Bruce, this was not only before he would even acknowledge her, much less reveal his identity, but during the Cataclysm/No Man's Land storyline where even Robin had no idea where he was for months. Going to him for help wasn't an option.

Ultimately, what the pregnancy was for Steph was another bad situation where she was largely alone, forced to make hard, painful choices and deal with a ton of guilt, that she ultimately worked past and made her stronger. Some more closure at a later date would have been better, but I'm not going to blame Dixon for stupid editorial decisions 5 years later.

#30 Posted by Emily87 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Bumping again.

Bryan Q. Miller mentioned on his twitter that he wasn't allowed to make a reference to her adopted child in Steph's Batgirl series. Blame it on editorial control.

And back during Dixon's run in the Robin series, there were early plans to make the Joker find out of Steph's pregnancy (who mistook it to be Robin's) and kidnaps her as hostage. Steph then experiences a miscarriage and Tim blames it on himself which causes him to go on an impromptu Paris trip to evaluate his role as Robin and what Steph means to him. The idea was scrapped immediately (who wouldn't scrap it? It was total bullshit) and we got the (much better) adoption storyline instead.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.