Stephanie Brown=Bad character

Posted by Stealth_Robin16 (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyboy else really dislike Stephanie Brown? She ruins everything and is just too whiny and pointless to be liked. The most important moment in her life was being killed. Seriously, why is she even alive??!! And now she's Batgirl? How the hell did that happen?!!
#1 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems that there are fewer people who like her.  Most people seem to rant about how they hate her.  Personally, I do like her and am glad she's Batgirl :)

#2 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

Sign me up. I cant stand her, never have.

@xerox-kitty said:

" It seems that there are fewer people who like her.  Most people seem to rant about how they hate her.  Personally, I do like her and am glad she's Batgirl :) "

grrrr
#3 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the interaction between her and Damian, other than that i'm not really a fan.

#4 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll stand by this forever, Stephanie Brown makes alot more sense and is realistic compared to Cassie..and I can relate with Steph and the decisions and actions she makes.

#5 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Stephanie has sucked since she was annoying Robin back in the day with Cluemaster running around

#6 Edited by Dane (10603 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:

" I'll stand by this forever, Stephanie Brown makes alot more sense and is realistic compared to Cassie..and I can relate with Steph and the decisions and actions she makes. "

Co-Signed.

Steph owns heaps for the same reasons Ult. Spider-Man owns heaps. Cassie was too much of a bada$$ to be following Bruce/Dick around.
#7 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not reading comics so I can "relate" or looking for "real." Not putting anybody elses personal preferences down, jus sayin I want my characters to be ultra-badass and better then the average dude or chick I see on the street or went to school with. I need unbelievable in my comics, otherwise I lose interest. Steph is like a Buffy rip off from season one. Its crazy how similar it is.

@Dane said:

"  Cassie was too much of a bada$$ to be following Bruce/Dick around. "
I agree in part. Physically yeah (although she never really followed Dick anyway), but emotionally she needed Bruce Wayne. He was the father figure/mentor.
#8 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" I'm not reading comics so I can "relate" or looking for "real." Not putting anybody elses personal preferences down, jus sayin I want my characters to be ultra-badass and better then the average dude or chick I see on the street or went to school with. I need unbelievable in my comics, otherwise I lose interest. Steph is like a Buffy rip off from season one. Its crazy how similar it is.

@Dane said:
"  Cassie was too much of a bada$$ to be following Bruce/Dick around. "
I agree in part. Physically yeah (although she never really followed Dick anyway), but emotionally she needed Bruce Wayne. He was the father figure/mentor. "
Yes you summed up Steph perfectly. As well I agree Cassie needs Bruce he is her crutch with out him she has no need to fight he protects her in ways fists never could
#9 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler: you keep cassie i dont want an emotionless robot
#10 Posted by Dane (10603 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler: Yeah, but if Cassie was Batgirl now, she'd be following Dick around. That just doesn't seem right. She could kick Dick's a$$ so many ways it isn't funny. 

I had enough stateless anti-heroes in the 90s, thanks. It's just personal preference but I don't want to read about people who are impossibly good at everything, ever, and have the personality of a chalkboard. Steph Brown is actually not good at some things. In a world of Bruce Wayne, master of everything with a phD in every science and social science known to man, thats kind of refreshing.
#11 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio

But it can also be too much, she's bordering on whining. I prefer Tim Drake over any of the batgirls personally.

#12 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" @Gambler: you keep cassie i dont want an emotionless robot "
I'll take Cass and you can have the space cadet with self-confidence issues. 

@Dane said:
" @Gambler: Yeah, but if Cassie was Batgirl now, she'd be following Dick around. That just doesn't seem right. She could kick Dick's a$$ so many ways it isn't funny.   I had enough stateless anti-heroes in the 90s, thanks. It's just personal preference but I don't want to read about people who are impossibly good at everything, ever, and have the personality of a chalkboard. Steph Brown is actually not good at some things. In a world of Bruce Wayne, master of everything with a phD in every science and social science known to man, thats kind of refreshing. "
Just because you're Batgirl doesn't mean you have to follow Batman around. Steph isn't exactly following Dick, he doesn't even want her around :P I like Cass' personality and wish she was still unable to speak. Reminded me of a female Snake Eyes. I'm all about anti-heroes and villains. Hero heroes never interested me. Guess thats why I'm not a Cap fan.
#13 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" It seems that there are fewer people who like her.  Most people seem to rant about how they hate her.  Personally, I do like her and am glad she's Batgirl :) "
yayyyyy :D :D 

I like Steph, I like the character, I like how much of a dic* she can be, I like her relationships with Tim I like all of it. 

I do whoever miss Cassie.
#14 Posted by jloneblackheart (5528 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Steph as Batgirl.

#15 Posted by Craig Lovecraft (202 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only been reading comics for about a year and I've never read any of the stuff with Cassie, so I can't compare her and Stephanie, but I have no problems with Steph as Batgirl. The way I see it, and I'm clearly wrong, but whatever, Steph's a young girl who hasn't really come into her own yet. She's still figuring everything out, so people shouldn't expert her to be a perfect superhero. She seems to doubt herself a lot, but from what I've read, that's likely partially because of how the other heroes treated her. Again, I'm probably way off, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

#16 Posted by Stealth_Robin16 (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I just think she was supposed to be a background character, who never really does anything important and is just there as a filler. When she was first introduced, she mostly just followed Tim around and did pointless things like protect a mall, which she failed at anyways. I don't understand how someone like that becomes a Batgirl, even if they're hard working and fun to read. And I really hate it how the DC writers are making her seem so improved from when she was Spoiler, having her break walls with a punch (from a recent Batgirl book )  and completely own all the villains she faces. Cass was so much better at being Batgirl, because she was one of the best fighters in the DCU and was badass. Now we have Stephanie, who is bad at almost everything she does and cracks jokes all the time, which can be extremely annoying. Stephanie should just go back to being a background character and stop being written as if she is so much better than she actually is. 
#17 Posted by Luthy (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't STAND her. I've hated her ever since I first saw her in a comic. She's not 'cute' or 'clever' and- despite DC's attempts to convince us otherwise- she's not 'bad ass'. She's just an obnoxious character who should've stayed dead (or, rather should have been dead for real, instead of that 'fake dead' thing they pulled).

#18 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

HAHA a Damian.

#19 Posted by comicnerdy (259 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
"I'll stand by this forever, Stephanie Brown makes alot more sense and is realistic compared to Cassie..and I can relate with Steph and the decisions and actions she makes. "

@xerox-kitty said:
"It seems that there are fewer people who like her.  Most people seem to rant about how they hate her.  Personally, I do like her and am glad she's Batgirl :) "

Yes! I agree with both of these statements!
#20 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her better as Batgirl then i liked Cassie. Cassie should return as a villain.

#21 Posted by A-Strondinaire (370 posts) - - Show Bio

My goodness so much Stephanie Hate what's the deal she's like anybody would be if they came into a Mantle with so much prestige. Cassie really turned me off because her mute asian ninja thing which i'm so tired of. Steph brings something new to the Bat-Family aside from the good ol boy Robin personality or the genius no-it-all Babs. I don't want another Bat-girl hiatus search
#22 Posted by danhimself (22626 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Stephanie but I still want Cassandra back

#23 Edited by KyleOwens (5 posts) - - Show Bio

While she is hardly my favorite Batgirl. I can't say I hate her.  

#24 Posted by MichaeltheFly (6555 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't hate her I just hate what DC did to Cassandra Cain, she was a very good Batgirl, not to mation a great background and they got her out of the picture like she was a nobody, it's sad.

#25 Posted by WeB3d (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, I can't find any likable qualities.  When she took over for Cass I didn't read another DC title for more then 6 months T.T

#26 Posted by mv (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

cass deserves her own comic i say ! steph is cool

#27 Posted by DEGRAAF (7896 posts) - - Show Bio

so far i have liked all the batgirls
#28 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF said:
" so far i have liked all the batgirls "

#29 Posted by ElleRose (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Stephanie Brown?  I want to like her so bad, probably because I love Tim, and feel I should see her the way he does.  Sadly, I just can't get passed some of her less appealing traits.  I really find her annoying most of the time, and can't understand what is appealing about her.  I feel like Steph is that normal cheerleader girl you knew in high school.  While that is fine in the real world, I want a bad ass, out of this world chick to fill the shoes of Cassie and Barbara.  I can't even see her physical appeal.  Every time I look at her, my mind loops the phrase, "baby momma", and I cringe.  Sorry fans, I hope she becomes that bad ass superhero I want her to be, but for now, she is just annoying to me.  I REALLY hope Tim doesn't get back with her....

#30 Edited by COBRAMORPH (1565 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe all the others treat her bad cause she screwed up & got herself killed. Shes a side character to a side character. and the ONLY reason she is Batgirl is cause of the WIRS BS DC got for killing her off & claiming she was never a Robin. Thats it. 

& to make matters worse, they turn brand new hero identiy, the Spoiler into a stepping stone to become a Batgirl. Spoilers & Nightwings now will become second rate second choices when Bruce & eventully Cassie return. Now all they need is for the Oracle name to be passed around afew times. There is a reason why everone know who Batman, Sups or Wonder Woman are. there arent 5 of them like with the Flashes, or GL. Now I'm not saying the fact that John Jones is the only Martian Manhunter means he will ever be as popular, but having mulitple people in the suit just confuses the average person.

#31 Posted by daedalus25 (121 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Stephanie Brown as Batgirl.  I liked Cassandra for the first 20 or so issues of her series, but then it all started getting pretty stale for my taste.  Stephanie brings something fresh and interesting to the mantle, and I love watching her grow into the role.  In my opinion, Stephanie better represents what it means to be Batgirl.

#32 Posted by kev17 (332 posts) - - Show Bio

Cassandra Cain would kick her head in.

#33 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

F**k Cassandra Cain. Well, the extended Bat-family in general but I might as well make precision hate strikes.

Steph Brown is waaaaaaaay more interesting to me, but then again, I haven't read a lot of either of their stories (although the metric ton of Cass scans on the internet fills me in enough anyways. "Sup, I can dodge a clip at point blank range!").

#34 Posted by charlieboy (7165 posts) - - Show Bio

i like stephanie much better as batgirl than cassandra. cass never became batgirl to me. she was just a ninja in a batgirl outfit. stephanie may not be perfect but i have really been enjoying her as batgirl. she fits what batgirl means to me more than cassandra ever could. but best batgirl will always be babs to me
#35 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@charlieboy said:
" i like stephanie much better as batgirl than cassandra. cass never became batgirl to me. she was just a ninja in a batgirl outfit. stephanie may not be perfect but i have really been enjoying her as batgirl. she fits what batgirl means to me more than cassandra ever could. but best batgirl will always be babs to me "
I agree with this.Not so much because of Cassie's ninja aspect but just because of how outlandish her physical ability was with no explanation.I especially agree with the part about Babs being the best Batgirl.Too bad she's Oracle now.I mean i've grown to like Oracle and I understand why they are leaving her in that state but Babs was awesome as Batgirl.
#36 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

I think is hilarious when she teams up with Damian.

#37 Posted by SirSparkington (342 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Steph as Batgirl. Its interesting to watch her learn the ropes and improve as the series goes along. I'm not saying I don't like Cassandra, because I do, but I really don't mind Stephanie as Batgirl. I actually really enjoying it.

#38 Posted by Dreb345 (88 posts) - - Show Bio

Steph is a good batgirl  
Cass was a great batgirl  
I wish they would kill firebird and give that to cass or cass would return to the bat-family 
#39 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care for her, but... keep her away from Tim!!!!!!!!

#40 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita: Yepshe cheated on him right?
#41 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8900 posts) - - Show Bio

Stephanie Brown is a good character. She just got totally screwed by the executives.

#42 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64:  That's not the reason why I want her away from Tim.  Tim is psychologically speaking the normal member of the Batman family.  It's been stated so many times before that Tim himself wanted to live a normal life after he stopped being Robin, obviously he probably won't be going back to a normal life anytime soon.  Despite that I think Tim needs someone to remind him of what he has to protect.  Of what he lost and what he once had.  He shouldn't be in a relationship with someone in the same profession as him, but someone who represents everything Tim once had.  And since Tam knows his identity, there is no reason to keep her in the dark like he did his dad, and we saw how that worked out.   

But, I'm getting off topic now, and that shouldn't happen with this specific topic because I can go on forever on why Tam and Tim are great for each other, disregarding the similarities in their names.
#43 Posted by Daredevilwithoutfear (90 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry I just never liked Stephanie Brown as a character  I agree with most that she should have stayed dead. and I read her as Batgirl and I am not to wild on her being Batgirl either I prefer Cassandra Cain still..

#44 Posted by xgirl (138 posts) - - Show Bio

he i love steph.

#45 Posted by thatlad (595 posts) - - Show Bio

Not so much bad character as unnecessary character. Cassie was good as batgirl

#46 Posted by THALASTDRAGON (387 posts) - - Show Bio

i never read any of tha stuff prior to tha current batgirl series, so i cant compare, but im diggin steph as batgirl.  i didnt even know she "died" as some of ya'll have put, ima have to look that up.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.