Steph Brown...Lightning Proof? O_O

#1 Posted by Sinestro2828 (1511 posts) - - Show Bio

I recently saw this image of Stephanie Brown surviving a direct hit from Livewire's electric blasts due to her suit being "insulated."  I personally find this to be ridiculous, don't get me wrong, I know its just a comic, but seriously, the only way I could buy her surviving something like a lightning bolt is if her suit completely covered her from head to toe like Cassandra's old Batgirl costume, whereas Steph's costume shows her mouth, eyes, and hair (meaning the exposed parts of her should have been fried along with her insides).

what say the rest of yee?  

http://www.comicvine.com/stephanie-brown/29-6156/all-images/108-218435/batgirl21/105-1340274/

#2 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

Electricity depends on being grounded. People who survive being struck by lightning in the rain is because the lightning passes through the water into the ground rather than across the heart killing them. If the suit is specially designed to channel electricity away from her into the ground I could believe it....with comic physics anyway.

#3 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably the bat suits being insulated is wwhat it has to do with it.

#4 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

IDK It is a comic all of the Bat suits are like insanely powerful. Bruce Tim and Dick have all been electrocuted frozen and burnt alive but their suit saved them or get shot by sniper rounds which are the size of my forearm with no injury. So just think in your head Bruce Wayne is a super genius with endless amounts of money and resources that is why it works like that 

#5 Posted by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sinestro2828: This is Stephanie as Batgirl, no ones going to forget about how bad she was as Spoiler. Oracle gave her this Batgirl costume I'm going to assume she's taking every precaution, and think of how regularly the Bat family has gone up against the Electroctioner, she would take every precaution with Steph who isn't as skilled.
#6 Posted by cbishop (6944 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sinestro2828:
The picture looks like neither of them expected Steph to survive the blast.  Does anyone know what the story explanation was (if any)?
#7 Posted by Sinestro2828 (1511 posts) - - Show Bio
@cbishop:   Her costume is supposedly insulated against electricity, something which i find hard to believe since the costume doesn't cover her mouth, eyes, and hair like Cassandra Cain's costume does.  Basically, given the size of the energy blast, it should have nailed the exposed portions of her body and burnt her to a crisp inside her own costume.  Thats why I'm asking everyone else here if they agree with my reasoning or if there's a way Steph surviving this attack is remotely plausible.
#8 Posted by ForbushBug (496 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't matter if her mouth is exposed. What matters is the parts that are grounded are insulated. It's like if a power line lands on your car. The tires don't conduct electricity so you're fine inside. But if you touch both the ground  and the car you complete the circuit and it's toast city for you.

#9 Edited by cbishop (6944 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sinestro2828: I worked for an electrical contractor for six years.  One of the supers was working in a live panel (like a dumba$$) and his screwdriver touched the energized circuit.  The electricity flowed up his right arm, across his shoulders, and out of his left shoulder joint, where his shoulder was touching the metal panel door.  On its way out of his body, the bolt shattered his shoulder joint, which exploded and sent a piece down next to his heart.  But he lived.  He couldn't lift anything with his left arm for something like two years.  The reason the bolt left through his shoulder is the panel door led it to a path back to ground.  So like ForbushBug is saying, it really depends on how she was grounded, more than how she was insulated.
#10 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sinestro2828 said:
"I recently saw this image of Stephanie Brown surviving a direct hit from Livewire's electric blasts due to her suit being "insulated."  I personally find this to be ridiculous, don't get me wrong, I know its just a comic, but seriously, the only way I could buy her surviving something like a lightning bolt is if her suit completely covered her from head to toe like Cassandra's old Batgirl costume, whereas Steph's costume shows her mouth, eyes, and hair (meaning the exposed parts of her should have been fried along with her insides).  what say the rest of yee?     http://www.comicvine.com/stephanie-brown/29-6156/all-images/108-218435/batgirl21/105-1340274/ "

Tis true, Tis true.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.