First she was Spoiler, then Robin, then Batgirl, and now...

#1 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

NIGHTWING

It was announced a few days ago that Batman was coming to Smallville #5 for the first time in August (Digitally, and in print in September). Well today TV Guide.com also announced that Batman's sidekick will not be Dick, in fact it will not be a Robin. It will be Stephanie Brown using the Nightwing name.

In the article Bryan Q.Miller says;

"Bruce can be somewhat of an angry man. Stephanie's personality is so can-do and unsinkable and bright, so it's very much on purpose on Bruce's part that he has a good cop going out on patrol with him every night."

Now if you don't mind me I'm going to be YESing Daniel Bryan style until August.

#2 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

unfortunately I can't find a large color image

#3 Posted by Mercy_ (91888 posts) - - Show Bio

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

#4 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope that her costume looks better than Batman's does cause that Batman costume may be the ugliest I've seen his suit look ever

#5 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

Bryan Q Miller threw the coloured version up on his blog.

He also said on twitter that her black hair is just a combat wig.

#6 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Go for it Steph, you almost have taken the title for most codenames from Hank Pym

#7 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio

#8 Edited by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

.....huh

#9 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, consider that series dropped. Shame, really. 

#10 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

#11 Posted by GTG12 (1548 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd prefer Grayson but oh well.

#12 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3179 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish they'd just keep her as her own character, Spoiler.

She doesn't need to have someone else's mantle, :( I hope to god that picture is lying ... and they haven't cut her hair short and dyed it black. WHAT THE HELL!?

#13 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

At least Steph will be back in comics, just not quite the way I expected.

@ReVamp: Don't worry you can enjoy the real Nightwing his book.

@danhimself said:

I really hope that her costume looks better than Batman's does cause that Batman costume may be the ugliest I've seen his suit look ever

The two costumes actually remind me of Knight and Squire.

#14 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

why?

#15 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

why?

Because it's pointless. Why does Bruce have a sidekick within about a year of operating? Why Steph as Nightwing? It doesn't even make sense. I like Steph, but this is just dumb. 
#16 Posted by TDK_1997 (15123 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like her more as Spoiler or Batgirl in the series.

#17 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@danhimself said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

why?

Because it's pointless. Why does Bruce have a sidekick within about a year of operating? Why Steph as Nightwing? It doesn't even make sense. I like Steph, but this is just dumb.

it's the Smallville universe....why were Cyborg and Bart Allen founding members of the Justice League? Why was Doomsday a hospital worker? ...nothing makes sense there

#18 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@danhimself said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

why?

it's the Smallville universe....why were Cyborg and Bart Allen founding members of the Justice League? Why was Doomsday a hospital worker? ...nothing makes sense there

No, it doesn't, but it's still a Universe I spent 10 years with. Batman having a sidekick so early on, and it not being Dick Grayson, is just frustrating.  

And Cyborg being a Justice League founder, that's definitely insane, hey?  

F*cking Geoff Johns.
#19 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@danhimself said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@danhimself said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

why?

No, it doesn't, but it's still a Universe I spent 10 years with. Batman having a sidekick so early on, and it not being Dick Grayson, is just frustrating. And Cyborg being a Justice League founder, that's definitely insane, hey? F*cking Geoff Johns.

it's why I started reading the digital comic...at least with the comic they can do all the stuff that they could never do in the series

#20 Posted by ragdollpurps (15789 posts) - - Show Bio

Purple Nightwing, I dig that.

#21 Posted by BatWatch (3087 posts) - - Show Bio

It sounds good. At least Stephanie is appearing somewhere in comics. Hopefully, they'll find a good place for her in regular continuity.

Batman's costume does suck.

#22 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35176 posts) - - Show Bio

That is the worst bat suit I have seen, ever.

#23 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

That's like from the last issue of Batgirl. Awesome!

#24 Posted by daedalus25 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

For those who haven't heard, Dan DiDio decided to drop Stephanie Brown and replace her with Barbara Gordon yet again. Babs will now be Nightwing in Smallville.

/sigh

#25 Edited by COBRAMORPH (1646 posts) - - Show Bio

Stephanie & Jason Todd should be left as villians. She as a new female ClueMaster, & Todd as Red Hood. Batman needs some protoges that didnt work out well for a reason or another, & became villians. Plus, Dick VS Jason as Nightwing VS Red Hood & Steph VS Cassandra as ClueMaster VS BatGirl can give that same dynamic as Batman-Joker, Hal-Sinestro, Captain Marvel VS Black Adam.

Then also, they can introduce Carrie Kelly as the new Spoiler.

@danhimself said:

Bart & Barry are both short for Bartholomew. Cyborg is the only WTF, & that I assume is because John Stewart couldnt be used. I had no problems with how they portrayed Doomsday.

And as for her, or Barbara, being Nightwing, I for one, am sick of of the constant switching up of identites. It cheapens Nightwing. It cheapens Barbara evolving into Oracle. No one but Bruce is Batman. No one but Clark is Superman. No one but Diana is WonderWoman. Its part of the reason why Batman & Superman are the top of DC, & others like GL & Flash are not, as the fans dont one one character to get behind. Sure 4 Flashes or 4 GLs means everyone has a favorite, but it also split the fanbase as well. Gee, who is Nightwing? Well he was Robin, now its Batgirl, then he travels through time & becomes his father, who met Joe Chill & caused him to shoot Bruce's dad. Then tomarrow its someone new.

#26 Posted by wessaari (633 posts) - - Show Bio

@COBRAMORPH: well todd isnt a villian and honestly shouldnt be. he isnt in Batman's good graces and is still sort of the disowned son, which is where he needs to be. Steph was never a villian, and she shouldnt turn into to one so out of the blue, especially since she isnt in regular continuity yet. Carrie Kelly was always non-canon and doesnt serve a purpose outside of her story and doesnt make sense being Spoiler because Steph became Spoiler to thwart her father's plans. A Dick-v-Jason isnt a bad idea, and if he saw him around his new crew, i can defintely see tempers flaring. Other than that Smallville universe will be what it is and honestly if it doesnt have an influence to the regular continuity in my opinion it can do what it wants

#27 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG. Stephanie Brown will be benched again!

YES! There is justice. I hope she never comes back.

#28 Posted by daedalus25 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

You, sir, have bad taste!

#29 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@daedalus25: Or maybe I am the one that have good taste.

#30 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

Stephy:(

#31 Posted by daedalus25 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

Nobody who dislikes Stephanie Brown has good taste. :P

#32 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3487 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cherry Bomb said:

I wish they'd just keep her as her own character, Spoiler.

She doesn't need to have someone else's mantle, :( I hope to god that picture is lying ... and they haven't cut her hair short and dyed it black. WHAT THE HELL!?

This

#33 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3487 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

This is harsh she was good as Spoiler in the Robin comics

#34 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

@daedalus25 said:

@sethysquare said:

Nobody who dislikes Stephanie Brown has good taste. :P

QFT!

#35 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnkmccubbin91 said:

@sethysquare said:

This is harsh she was good as Spoiler in the Robin comics

meh. I can live without here ever coming back. But if she does, I don't mind she recur in bab's batgirl. no wait, actually I hope she recurs in a book that I don't read. Perhaps Batman and Robin. She can go there.

#36 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

Look, I myself am a Barbara Gordon fan, and am not that big on Stephanie. However, even I can acknowledge just how effed up this decision was to remove Stephanie after already announcing her. There was no point to it. If this were a character I greatly cared about who was in limbo, and had been announced to be appearing somewhere, only to be replaced by a more fan favorite version, I'd be pissed, too. Stephanie Brown fans all have a right to be peeved over this. Honestly, Babs didn't need to be in Smallville at all. She already has her own ongoing title in the New 52. There is nothing DC can do to justify using her to replace someone else in a side title like Smallville. It isn't going to bring in a sudden flood of new readers for the series. If anything, Stephanie Brown would have done that. All the Steph fans who had been missing her would have flocked over to Smallville to read one of their favorite characters. The same isn't going to happen with Babs fans, who already have her in a stronger presence elsewhere. This whole thing was a middle finger to Stephanie fans everywhere.

#37 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

So, is she a part of the New 52 yet?

#38 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3487 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: Why do you not like Stephanie? out of curiosity plus she'd be pointless in Batman and Robins she had little relationship to Batman and none to Damien. I'd personally like them to do a Red Robin comic and add her in that as in the Tim Drake Robin that's where she was best written IMO

@RainEffect Unfortunately no

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.