Follow

Stephanie Brown

Character » Stephanie Brown appears in 787 issues.

Stephanie Brown is the Cluemaster's daughter. She becomes the Spoiler to "spoil" her father's criminal plots, and dated Tim Drake while he was Robin. Steph temporarily becomes Robin when Tim is forced to quit by his father. Later, she briefly resumes being Spoiler before Cassandra Cain decides to pass her the mantle of Batgirl. In the New 52 and Rebirth, she's back to being The Spoiler.

Batgirl. :)

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AngelFrost

Well, I'm sure by looking on the 'Spoiler' page, you've all heard that Stephanie Brown is infact the new Batgirl of Gotham City.

So, Opinions? 
     Here's some questions to help you out.

- Do you like Stephanie as Batgirl? Why?
    - Do you not like Steph as Batgirl? Why not?

- Any better choices in your opinion?
    - Is she worthy to take up the mantle? 

- What do you think will happen to Steph/Batgirl in the future?

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I just started reading some Bat titles, even though I usually read Marvel. Seemed like a good time with Batman & Robin, Gotham City Sirens and Batgirl all starting up.

I like how everyone is different and it's better for me to jump in on. A lot of people don't like Steph as Batgirl or think it will be temporary. I personally would like to see her do well and become a better character, one everyone can agree should wear the costume.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty

It's been a long time since I've read any Bat-titles, so I don't understand why the passionate hate for Steph being Batgirl.  I guess DC raised and dashed everyone's hopes of it being Barbara again. 

Personally, I like Steph.  I liked the Spoiler, and I hope she has more luck as Batgirl.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Zoom

After Nightwing became Batman and Damien became Robin, of course we were going to have a new Batgirl and Spoiler was the obvious choice. 

She's just kinda boring.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @aztek the lost: hahaha. robin is a unisex name so it works out OK
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @aztek the lost said:
    " It just seems weird to be both Robin and Batgirl? is Stephanie like a hermaphrodite or something? "
    "The best of both worlds"?  ;p 

Technically, Steph isn't the first girl to be Robin.  Although Dark Knight Returns was technically set in the future... and in an elseworlds.  So I guess that Carrie doesn't count.
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AngelFrost
    @aztek the lost:  Seee, shows how versatile Stephanie Brown is  :) she can be 2 of the most famous heroes in Gotham

@xerox-kitty:  I love Steph too, and I don't understand why she is not liked or not wanted as Batgirl. Cassie has already matured into her own character and so has Barbara. Steph hasn't so it's a perfect opportunity for her to do so as Batigirl.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By NightFang3

I don't like Steph as Batgirl because I don't think she has what it take's to be Batgirl and she should just be her own woman and just be Spoiler.

Luthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Luthy

Personally, I just don't like Steph as Batgirl because, well... I've just never liked Steph in any form. She's always just kind of annoyed me, but I'm not quite sure why. I thought the whole 'coming back from the dead but surprise not really' thing was kinda hokey, but, again, that could just be me. *shrug*

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By The_Ghostshell

They should have left her in the refrigerator where she belonged.

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Legacy_

@Gambler - That is literally cold >_> 

I like Stephanie as Batgirl although I didn't like the way the kicked out Cassandra.  I'm hoping to see what exactly happens to Cain and they better not throw her character into limbo.

BoOMbOoMpOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By BoOMbOoMpOw

I think stephanie is not a good batgirl because ahhhhmmmm ....
    I don`t know I just don`t like her .
    It would be better if barbara gordan get a computer chip wich allows her to walk again .and than the orginal batgirl comes back wohooo!!!

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AngelFrost
    @Closure:  Yeah, I'm sure we will see Cassandra back and better than ever! :D  and they can't throw her into limbo! she's too good.

@BoOMbOoMpOw:  Well she'd be a bit old to  be a 'Batgirl' by now. Batwoman maybe ....
    BoOMbOoMpOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BoOMbOoMpOw

yeah you are  right  she would be better than a batwoman .
    oldiii oldiiii !!!!

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    UnsolvedParadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By UnsolvedParadox

So far, the new Batgirl series is pretty great. Hope everyone is reading it!

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By dane

man I don't know why people are hating on Stephanie Brown as Batgirl. I think if you try to measure her against Cassandra Cain I mean, yeah she's different. 

It's a different character and I'm really enjoying the series.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By geraldthesloth

To be fair Stephanie is just boring and I dislike her..but she's better than Cassandra Cain who is just a flat out stupid character.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AngelFrost

I'm glad people are starting to like Stephanie.
    People didn't seem to like her because she wasn't as good as Cassie or Barbara.
     and she was a terrible fighter etc ...

But c'mon, she's just become Batgirl, 
    Barbara was like that when she started out and now look at her!
    So give Steph a chance. ¬¬

One Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By One Shot
    @AngelFrost said:
    " I'm glad people are starting to like Stephanie. People didn't seem to like her because she wasn't as good as Cassie or Barbara.  and she was a terrible fighter etc ...  But c'mon, she's just become Batgirl,  Barbara was like that when she started out and now look at her! So give Steph a chance. ¬¬ "
    I think the problem lies with the stories she has been given, They have not been strong enough to put her over to people. Also Barb and Cass had the backing of the Bat family almost from the start, Steph has been given a bad deal from the off set and sadly it has sat with the fans that way. MR passed me the Comic after she reads it and I always want something more, Steph is a good character and just needs a really good story to show us what she can do, I liked her during War Games and No Man's Land when she teamed up with Huntress as spoiler, I just think DC needs to give her a good chance.
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AngelFrost
    @One Shot said:
    " @AngelFrost said:
    " I'm glad people are starting to like Stephanie. People didn't seem to like her because she wasn't as good as Cassie or Barbara.  and she was a terrible fighter etc ...  But c'mon, she's just become Batgirl,  Barbara was like that when she started out and now look at her! So give Steph a chance. ¬¬ "
    I think the problem lies with the stories she has been given, They have not been strong enough to put her over to people. Also Barb and Cass had the backing of the Bat family almost from the start, Steph has been given a bad deal from the off set and sadly it has sat with the fans that way. MR passed me the Comic after she reads it and I always want something more, Steph is a good character and just needs a really good story to show us what she can do, I liked her during War Games and No Man's Land when she teamed up with Huntress as spoiler, I just think DC needs to give her a good chance. "
    Yeah, totally.
    All she has been known for so far is Tims Love Interest
    Which is why I think being Batgirl is a great way for her to establish her own character. They're certainly aren't accepting her as easily as they did Cassie, which I think is kinda cruel, but hopefully she will grow on people once she has gotten more comfortable in the costume.
    Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Feral Nova  Moderator

I've personally loved the character, I think she made the 'old' bagirl comics (that had cassandra cain, whom I loved as batgirl!) more interesting when they threw her in them and in the Robin comics as well. And I'll admit, I got all excited when she wore the Robin costume, and I was furrious when they 'killed' her off. 

As Batgirl, I've only read a couple of the comics, and well... like others have said, DC just needs to freaken stop making her look stupid and make her BATGIRL already! lol 

People need to stop kicking down the character, and just take a breather, step back and just do more than LOOK at her, but really read about her. I kinda like how the Batfaimly is always giving her sh!t, because it always just makes her want to prove them wrong about her even more and makes her work harder. I also like how they make her HUMAN. She's not some emotionless person, or a great acrobatic, or a double black belt. I like how where going to be able to see her devlop into a kick-@ss Batgirl, instead of her just already being pefrect in everything she does. IF DC doesnt try to kill her off again and if comic readers just give her a chance!

timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By timrothsays

the first issue of Batgirl was boring
    further issues any better?

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I'm just not seeing her motivation to be Batgirl. It's not as if she didn't already have a persona to fight crime under. Is there some sort of quota that the city has to meet or the ACLU  shows up?

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AngelFrost
    @FoxxFireArt said:
    " I'm just not seeing her motivation to be Batgirl. It's not as if she didn't already have a persona to fight crime under. Is there some sort of quota that the city has to meet or the ACLU  shows up? "
    She's being Batgirl to basically prove herself to Tim Drake, and for her best friend, Cassandra Cain who gave her the costume.
    Not the best of reasons really, but she's really trying to be a good Batgirl, she's not as skilled in fighting crime as other hero's, but she does try her best. Which is what I love.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @AngelFrost: 
    Yes, but why is she so poor at the crime fighting at this stage? She's already trained once under Bruce to the point where he allowed her to be Robin. She's also been working under the Spoiler name for some time. It's not as if she just started doing this. I don't see the rationalization for her to be at such a beginner's level.

Not to mention what is the point of proving something to Tim when he's not even in the country. He's off to find Bruce's cave paintings.
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AngelFrost
    @FoxxFireArt:  Being Batgirl is more responsibility than being Spoiler, she wasn't necessarily 'great' as Spoiler either, but I guess it's just the writers. They want her tostart off as bad as possible, then let her character evolve more.

& because she loves Tim, no matter what.  He hated her being Spoiler, so I guess she wants him to be proud for when he comes back. We'll just have to see how it all plays out. I also believe it's a way to get his attention.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Soooo, she's putting her very life at risk in order to prove a boy she likes wrong in some hope that he will finally accept her as a crime fighter. Not to mention said boy is against her involvement in crime fighting actions in the first place. Basically, trying to impress a guy who neither trusts her opinion or believes in her talents. I know I'm taking a crack at my own gender here, but it needs to be said. "This has to be written buy a guy." 
    Rather then training her properly for the tasks at hand, Dick and Barbra let her go out ill prepared where she is more likely to get herself killed?

I know it's fine to show a character progressively getting better, but how many years did she spend as Spoiler and was she as klutzy then as she is now?

I think this is why I like manga. Character motivations remain consistent and very little contradiction. That's the advantage of having a single writer in a whole series.

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @aztek the lost said:
    " It just seems weird to be both Robin and Batgirl? is Stephanie like a hermaphrodite or something? "
    "The best of both worlds"?  ;p  Technically, Steph isn't the first girl to be Robin.  Although Dark Knight Returns was technically set in the future... and in an elseworlds.  So I guess that Carrie doesn't count. "
    Jubilee was Robin, too. Well, actually "Sparrow", but...

No Caption Provided
    E.I.S.A.M.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By E.I.S.A.M.

So far, I like Steph as Batgirl. I read issue #5 and I laughed out loud at a few scenes. I like that she's funny. I like that she's sassy. I like that she reminds me of the days Barbara Gordon was Batgirl. 
    Here's what I don't like.... She's, at times, so hapless, and immature that it irritates me. She's got experience, I mean she's been at this since the nineties! If you could survive them, you can survive anything! In all seriousness, I hope the writer moves the character forward, and if he doesn't, I hope they find someone who does. The art is fine, the only thing I have a gripe with is the way he draws her hair. It looks like a mop covered in cheese or something. I don't have so much of a problem with her being.... boy crazy, after all, Peter Parker was girl crazy before he got married(Yes he's still married, One More Day/Brand New Day never happened.)

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AngelFrost
    @E.I.S.A.M.:

True, I hated it when her hair was like this:
    No Caption Provided
    This hairstyle is better. (:   
    No Caption Provided
    Does anyone know the artist?
    burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By burr787
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AngelFrost
    @burr787:  Ooooo, thank you! :D x
    burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By burr787
    @timrothsays said:

" the first issue of Batgirl was boring further issues any better? "

Issue four is when this series takes off and gets really good. If you like lighthearted books then I would pick it up, just don't take it seriously like everyone else is. It's meant to be funny and Steph is written as a screw up to suit the book's tone.
    timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By timrothsays
    @burr787: thanks, i've picked up further issues. worth reading :)
    jukeboxheroabc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jukeboxheroabc

I know this is an old forum but I have to say that the issues have really been good so far. Plus she has taken the step of making the mantle her own.

redrobin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By redrobin123

there's a chance that she will have her own country in batman inc just like cass in hong kong

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.