Steel Debuts in DC's 'The New 52' in the Pages of ACTION COMICS

• 69 results
Posted by G-Man (31718 posts) - - Show Bio
ACTION COMICS #2

We knew it would happen sooner or later, DC has revealed images of Dr. John Henry Irons in his suited up alter ego we're all familiar with.

In ACTION COMICS #2, when Lex Luthor managed to capture Superman and was torturing conducting tests on him, John Henry Irons was outraged. Irons was working with the government on the "Steel Soldier" program in order to create a way for soldiers to safely go into battle with firepower that would give them an edge over the opposition.

Seeing what they were doing to Superman was enough to make Irons resign. In the end, it was John Corben that volunteered to proceed with the experiments without Irons' supervision.

According to DC's THE SOURCE, Irons will be debuting his new iron form in the pages of this week's ACTION COMICS #4 and will return again in a backup in issue #7 by Sholly Fisch and Brad Walker.

Check out the preview pages for ACTION COMICS #4 to see what Steel will look like in 'The New 52.'

== TEASER ==
Staff
#1 Posted by Geniusmonkey (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Awwwwwww...He looks awesome.

#2 Posted by johnny_spam (2035 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the comic and I love Steel. Brad Walker's art is excellent.

#3 Posted by Outside_85 (8548 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one reminded of Steel's animated debut, fighting Corben and assisting Superman?
But atm I am not sure if Cable-Guy is a better name for him :) Though its good to see him back in action.

#4 Posted by Roldan (241 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember Brad Walker doing that Secret Six mini (which i didn't like mostly because of the art) but this looks sweet. Kinda fits with Rags art.

#5 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it too soon?

#6 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

Really cool.

#7 Posted by Lvenger (19084 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome. Love what they've done to Steel. The stripping back of his suit is a really good move as it makes him less like a Tony Stark rip off as well as redifining and bringing back the best bits about the character. Great news.

#8 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

What's with his arms and legs? It looks like he's an amputee that has been refitted for superhero combat.

#9 Posted by kennybaese (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

The cables seem to be a bit much, but it works well enough. There's a very Iron Man vibe to the armor as well. The inconsistency with the art in this book is making me kind of crazy, though. Not that the other artists are bad by ay means, but I want more Morales.

#10 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny_spam said:

Love the comic and I love Steel. Brad Walker's art is excellent.

I have fate this will be good
#11 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

that is just the prototype that he is wearing right.

#12 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking good Mr. Irons! ;)

#13 Posted by Kairan1979 (16722 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess it's a prototype suit.

#14 Posted by leokearon (1781 posts) - - Show Bio

All the wires remind me of Iron Man's reborn armour

#15 Posted by The Cyan Lantern (240 posts) - - Show Bio

Steel loves Facebook for his laptop

#16 Edited by The Impersonator (5220 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a battle of the cyborgs! :P

#17 Edited by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

Sigh, did they really have to put an arc reactor on the chest?! REALLY????!!!!!! Like the War Machine comparisons weren't gonna be enough as is?

#18 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

Lame

#19 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

I like my original Steel better. DC GO BACK TO THE WAY THINGS WERE!!

#20 Posted by pahphoenix (36 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that monocle is gonna offer a lot of head protection.

#21 Posted by MetropolisKid41 (515 posts) - - Show Bio

Really hope that the prototype doesn't stay around too long, I hope a costume closer to his the classic Steel costume will emerge relatively soon. That being said, I'm glad Steel is back and can't wait for Action #4 this week!!!

#22 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Dudes and duders, he just made the suit from scraps of the metallo project give it time... also...

ZOMG STEEL I <3 U. I might be the only one but I did miss Steel.

#23 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

Richard Feynman is the greatest.

#24 Posted by Billy Batson (57914 posts) - - Show Bio

cool
BB

#25 Posted by BlackArmor (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

The costume disapoints me a little but Steel's involvement may make me pick this book back up

#26 Posted by ltbrd (561 posts) - - Show Bio

The design looks horrible and we're seeing him far too soon. Its really not necessary whatsoever for Steel to be introduced before Superman even really gets going as a hero. I understand that they may want to break his connection to Superman and have him be an independent hero but it's still too early.

IMHO......should have let this arc of Action Comics play out, Superman speak to John Henry Irons after everything is said and done and Irons takes what's left of the Metal-zero prototype armor along with any of the tech left behind from the massive battle and from that we get the newest version of Steel. It would still be close to the start of Superman's career, could still break out as his own character vice showing up after Superman's death (if that's even still truly canon despite Swamp Thing #1's reference) and always wearing the S-shield.

Was kind of hoping, though, that Steel would be revamped into a remote controlled suit in the same vein as the UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicle) used by the military. That way Irons wouldn't have to be in the suit and we can get rid of a Iron Man clone in the DC universe. Plus how cool would it be if Irons had not one, but multiple Steel suits that he could control from a central hub (much the same way as Bruce Wayne controlled the Bat-Bots in the Kingdom Come mini-series or through a neural link) and come to the superhero communities aid in big crisis moments. His Steel-bots could also be the caretakers of the Justice League headquarters and such.

Just feel like there is so much more they can do with Irons character than turning him into another fist fighting (hammer wielding) superhero. They always made references to him building things for the community (like the last Hall of Justice and Danger Room-esque "Kitchen") that his character could gain so much more importance as the Justice League and superhero community go-to guy for technology and such.

#27 Posted by Azrael66 (277 posts) - - Show Bio

Steel is awesome. I was eagerly awaiting his return. His new suit looks like a prototype and is probably going to change as he develops as a hero.

#28 Posted by The Average Bear (2072 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the lack of elbows/ kness in the suit. The wire arms and legs make him look cartoony

#29 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

"Ahhh mann...i thought prototypes were supposed to be EPIC!"

Like asking Iron Mans first armor to look like Extremis.

Come on.

Liking this first design. Rock on Steel.

#30 Posted by fACEmelter88 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmmmmm not what I expected but I like it

#31 Posted by KEROGA (984 posts) - - Show Bio

kicking ass and taking name, rescuing superman :P

#32 Posted by fury714 (589 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Cyan Lantern said:

Steel loves Facebook for his laptop

He was updating his status on when he was gonna help supes LOL

#33 Posted by LP (675 posts) - - Show Bio

YEAH! That's my man Steel out there!

#34 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm psyched. This looks pretty sweet, I can't wait. Thank goodness it is actually directly upcoming, rather than "upcoming in three months".

#35 Posted by Mayo88m (246 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd rather have Power Girl personally. -.- Steel is okay I guess, but just not my flavor. (No I don't mean because he's not a busty female. lol) Power Girl is just more fun for me than he is.

#36 Posted by TheMinister707 (103 posts) - - Show Bio

Anybody else think he looks like a Cyberman?

#37 Posted by Mizu_pl (60 posts) - - Show Bio

No, he does not look good, he looks like poor version of War Machine or Cyborg. Really hope they will do something about that in the future.

#38 Posted by cagedleo730 (231 posts) - - Show Bio

His suit looks fine for a prototype. However, he didn't need the "chest light". It's too much like Iron Man and War Machine. I'm surprised all armored heroes are not being called Iron Man rip-offs. That's the lowest common denominator for generalities.

As for all those wishing for Power Girl to appear here, go read some fan fiction. DC won't cram it in to suit an insignificant minority's whim.

#39 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

steel  looks like actor  lance reddick  from the wire.

#40 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9565 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully he wont be as lame as he was pre-52 
And Marvel makes blatant copies of DC heroes all the time, so please please take a page from Iron Man/War Machine and do better by Steel

#41 Posted by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man and Cyborg had a baby = Steel

#42 Posted by The Stegman (23773 posts) - - Show Bio

i love how people are bi*ching and complaining already when this is obviously a prototype costume Steel used in the case of an emergency

#43 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

While I do like this, I do have to admit there was something about the pre-New 52 Steel that looked better. But hey, its a new order now, so I'll like it regardless.

#44 Posted by The Poet (8335 posts) - - Show Bio

look forward to seeing it...

#45 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio

@pahphoenix said:

I don't think that monocle is gonna offer a lot of head protection.

right? what is that?

#46 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman and Steel vs Metallo?

#47 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

Great art but I'm not crazy about the way Steel looks

#48 Posted by lectriccolossus (436 posts) - - Show Bio

Mmm, not really a fan of the cables, but its a first, cant wait to see a better version

#49 Posted by Emperormeister734 (808 posts) - - Show Bio

besides the monocle i love the new steel

#50 Posted by Herx (374 posts) - - Show Bio

no idea why everyonesw making a fus about the monicle. The suits obviously a protoype, i mean just look at sup's costume here and his one in his "superman" title. Different. So it's most likelly that the current time line steel will appear more like his pre-52 incarnation. Plus........ monicles are cool. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.