Follow

Static

Character » Static appears in 185 issues.

Virgil Hawkins was exposed to a mutagenic gas that swept his city of Dakota, which gave him and other 'bang babies" superpowers. With the ability to control electromagnetism, Static joined the Teen Titans and continues to protect his city while serving on the team.

The cartoon is incredibly underrated

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

I recently re-watched the cartoon and IMO, although it ain't on the level of the other DCAU shows. Its much better than Teen Titans/Young Justice. It's a really good show, highly underrated. IMO it gave Static more popularity.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Twentyfive

I loved the cartoon. People may say what they want but at times, it can be better than the standard teen hero shows. It dealt with real world topics, things that can resonate with people beyond the TV screen. His show also had an urban style. You don't see that in cartoons anymore. Just standard fare. Hope he can get a new show soon.

I'm glad you liked it too.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By frozen  Moderator

It's also the first DCAU cartoon to deal with racism, as shown in an episode.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#4  Edited By Joygirl

It was okay. Wouldn't say it's underrated, it's about properly rated, and really doesn't hold a candle to Teen Titans/Young Justice.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By frozen  Moderator
    @Joygirl: JL or Batman: TAS were by far the best DCAU IMO. Teen Titans was flat out awful, such a letdown. Young Justice is much better than Teen Titans. IMHO, JLU was the last good DCAU show. After that, it all went downhill. So I'm going to say Static is better purely because it dealt with serious topics such as gang crime, racism, etc.
    krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By krspaceT

Static forever...first hero cartoon i ever watched

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

@Joygirl: Don't be ridiculous. It is miles ahead of Teen Titans.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BlackWind

Teen Titans was a bit too cartoony at times. And of course it could take itself seriously, when Slade, Brother Blood, or Trigon were main focuses of the series. But a lot of the time, villains are just bad guys of the day and lack in feeling three dimensional. I personally think it gets too much hate, but I definitely understand where people get it from.

Pretty much every episode of Static Shock had a concrete meaning relating to real life issues that almost everyone can agree with. Wish the cartoon wasn't cancelled so early, and I wish more of the cartoon's villains would make appearances in the comics, because frankly, I find them more interesting than a lot of the comic villains.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KnightRise

@Frozen said:

So I'm going to say Static is better purely because it dealt with serious topics such as gang crime, racism, etc.

And it did so without leaning toward an After-school special

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Batnandez

static was boring imo

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#11  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

It was good, but not amazing.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Blood1991

@Joygirl said:

It was okay. Wouldn't say it's underrated, it's about properly rated, and really doesn't hold a candle to Teen Titans/Young Justice.

I agree I enjoyed Static Shock, but I really liked Teen Titans and love Young Justice.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.