Static Shock #1

#1 Posted by Lordzid (6 posts) - - Show Bio

This comic didn't receive the same amount of attention as the other 52. But Why?
Only a few comics survive the TV to comic transition which makes not only hard but extremely difficult to make a smooth and ever-liking comic.
A good example was Batman Beyond on the first few steps Comic fans didn't embrace the idea of the cartoon coming to comics but at the end was a great series (talking about the series 2010 and 2011)
Now that we have that out of the way lets talk about the Comic:

This comic is one of those that needs to expand and grow it has great potential so pick it is a good one
#2 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

It was alright. Not the best out of the lot, but not the worst either. 

#3 Posted by DEGRAAF (7887 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always liked Static Shock  in the show but i have never been a fan of the solo comics. I liked him being on Teen Titans and would be a good contribution to the team as well as bring in a new set of villains for them to face. The problem is IMO is the writers wrote him as the token black character.

He could have been one of the top 3 or 4 heavy hitters on the team with an electrical punch. He was very versatile. I think the one think holding him back is his family ties. I think it's great that he isn't part of the many that lost their families but i think they focus him to much on his home town and his family. I could see him be friends with Bart and close friends with Kaldur. I would like to see him come back to the teen titans if (more likely when) his solo ends

#4 Posted by tcJackal (26 posts) - - Show Bio

As a fan of Static's tv show, I loved this issue even though nothing from the show was carried over. It makes me want to go back buy his 90's solo series.
#5 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@tcJackal said:
As a fan of Static's tv show, I loved this issue even though nothing from the show was carried over. It makes me want to go back buy his 90's solo series.
i spent months trying to find the comics from the 90's and all i was able to get my hands on was Rebirth of the cool, but a friend of mine found a torrent of the original 90's series, it was actually really good and still holds up today, it also dealt with some themes that Marvel and DC weren't dealing with at the time. Hopfully they will carry some things from the show into the comic, the one thing i really want to see is Gear, i don't care if it's Richie or Rick Stone or an amalgamation of the characters
#6 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm reading it as I speak. Seems like Static wasn't completely retconned. It was confirmed in the book that Static was originally from Dakota, as a superhero there. Looks like this will still be canon to all of his old stuff, too.

#7 Edited by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock: i think it was only his time with the titans that was retconned, everything else from his original series still stands, well from what i gather, we probably have to wait to see if any of his old friends show up, and i really hope they address the cliff hanger from the original series that ended with some one getting shot but they never revealed who it was
#8 Posted by OrpheusTelos (16 posts) - - Show Bio

The issue was solid. Given that it spent majority of the time setting up Static's new status quo, it's to be expected that it wasn't ground breaking. My one negative is the amount of exposition of the nature of his powers. I know this has always been Static's schtick, but for some reason it felt like they went overboard with it this issue. Of course, I don't think this will be a reoccurring problem. After explaining the nature of his powers the first time, Rozum/McDaniel won't have to continue to re-explaining what he's doing every following time.

That said, I like that Virgil still retains a lot of his light-hearted banter. He's the not the absolute chatter box that he is when he was under McDuffie's pen, but it's still fine just the same. I'm dying to see more of Virgil's personal life. Perhaps the biggest positive about Virgil is that he, more than majority of the other teens in DC, actually feels like a real teenager. The most we got about his social life is that he apparently got into scruffle with another student.

All in all, solid start, and I can't wait to read the next issue.

#9 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to do a full review on this one later, but thought I'd chime in... I think that this was one of the titles of the week that was actually well serviced by not having an 'out of the park' or 'unbelievably crazy memorable' delivery, but rather a paced traditional young superhero story. In part it is Static's age that facilitates that aspect in my view, as heavy drama or emotionally shocking cliffhangers that made the other books so outstanding would have been both unreasonable and unproductive for the development of the title. If people picked this up expecting a Static comic though, I feel it was well delivered. That said, there were even two (mild) shocking (sorry) moments in the comic. And Xombi was critically praised, so we know Rozum has that kick in him. I feel like he simply held it back for the moment to provide a much more level accessible start issue. For me the real lasting power of this title will come in the originality of the villains, in power, design and motivation. That for me will be the make or break element, five issues in.

#10 Posted by OrpheusTelos (16 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheOptimist said:
That said, there were even two (mild) shocking (sorry) moments in the comic. And Xombi was critically praised, so we know Rozum has that kick in him. I feel like he simply held it back for the moment to provide a much more level accessible start issue. 
I believe in one of the interviews (either the IGN or Newsarama), Rozum stated that McDaniel did the lions share of the writing for the first arc, with Rozum providing the dialogue.
#11 Posted by cascadeking09 (6761 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:

I'm reading it as I speak. Seems like Static wasn't completely retconned. It was confirmed in the book that Static was originally from Dakota, as a superhero there. Looks like this will still be canon to all of his old stuff, too.

Yeah looks like it. I just finished reading it a few minutes ago. Did you think he really lost his arm? I really hope they aren't planning on doing something that seems so cliche now and give him a cybernetic arm.
#12 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio
@OrpheusTelos said: 
I believe in one of the interviews (either the IGN or Newsarama), Rozum stated that McDaniel did the lions share of the writing for the first arc, with Rozum providing the dialogue.
Thanks, I must've missed that one. 

@cascadeking09
said:   
Yeah looks like it. I just finished reading it a few minutes ago. Did you think he really lost his arm? I really hope they aren't planning on doing something that seems so cliche now and give him a cybernetic arm.
Covers for 2 and 3 seem to have both arms well and attached, without any hint of either electricity arm or cybernetic arm. They could change those of course, but I think that it should probably end up being fine. If they do go cyber arm, we should be ready for posters montaging a history of bad cybernetic arm characters. Let us hope it doesn't come to that.
#13 Posted by cascadeking09 (6761 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheOptimist: Agreed, I'd find it really hard to take the series seriously if they did something like that and for pretty much no reason.
#14 Edited by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedK said:

@Static Shock: i think it was only his time with the titans that was retconned, everything else from his original series still stands, well from what i gather, we probably have to wait to see if any of his old friends show up, and i really hope they address the cliff hanger from the original series that ended with some one getting shot but they never revealed who it was

Yo, can you hook me up with anything after 'Re-birth'?  

And he might be pure energy underneath his skin. It was okay, but I put it above Hawk and Dove and Green Arrow. And Batgirl. BatWing was AWESOME BTW
#15 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@cascadeking09: It was probably a decoy. Who knows?

#16 Posted by cascadeking09 (6761 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock: maybe.
#17 Edited by Samimista (20750 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the first issue was average. Though correct me if I'm wrong but...

Before the reboot didn't Virgil's mom die from a car accident?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.