Static Series For 2011: Good News/ Bad News?

Posted by Gylan Thomas (2662 posts) - - Show Bio

So I just read one of my all time favourite characters is gettin' his own series again next year. (Thanks Johnny Spam : D )
This here the article. You can read it. I'll wait...
All done? Good. Then I'll continue.

So anyway, I'm a huge Static fan but not a big Titans fan. I aint bothered to pick up most of his Teen Titans appearances. Obviously I was ellated with the news but then another viners tells me the writers not that impressive. The term, "universally despised" was used relating to her run in Teen Titans and she's gettin' Static now.

Now we all know how fickle the powers that be in the industry are. If the series doesn't sell well Virgil Hawkins might not get another chance.And I don't want that. 
It's gotta have the humour and social consions (spell check?) of the original.
Can anyone put my mind to rest?

Any thoughts on an artist too?
I liked Chris Batista's Static. That was in the original costume though.

#1 Posted by johnny_spam (2020 posts) - - Show Bio

Just read it yourself the only person's who opinions should decide if you like it are your own I can not understand if someone's criticisms on the internet decides if you like something or hate it the only way you will have a valid opinion is to read it. Don't listen to the internet critics if you have not read it yourself. 

#2 Posted by Captain13 (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

Her run on TT is awful. There's an arc in which Static is back in Dakota and interacting with old supporting characters, and it's really, really horrible. She'll ruin the Static brand. Trust me. This is worse than him getting a series at all.

I'm comment #15 on the link btw.

#3 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2662 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam said:
" Just read it yourself the only person's who opinions should decide if you like it are your own I can not understand if someone's criticisms on the internet decides if you like something or hate it the only way you will have a valid opinion is to read it. Don't listen to the internet critics if you have not read it yourself.  "
That is quite true. 
Thing is though no matter how much I personally enjoy the book if it performs poorly on sales it wont last long :(
#4 Posted by spacedoutandazed (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas said:
" @johnny spam said:
" Just read it yourself the only person's who opinions should decide if you like it are your own I can not understand if someone's criticisms on the internet decides if you like something or hate it the only way you will have a valid opinion is to read it. Don't listen to the internet critics if you have not read it yourself.  "
That is quite true.  Thing is though no matter how much I personally enjoy the book if it performs poorly on sales it wont last long :( "
And therein's the problem. If Henderson is writing this book, it won't last long at all. Not only that, it's going make the character toxic make it difficult for him to get another book or even see further success outside of comics. 
#5 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2662 posts) - - Show Bio
@spacedoutandazed said:
" @Gylan Thomas said:
" @johnny spam said:
That is quite true.  Thing is though no matter how much I personally enjoy the book if it performs poorly on sales it wont last long :( "
And therein's the problem. If Henderson is writing this book, it won't last long at all. Not only that, it's going make the character toxic make it difficult for him to get another book or even see further success outside of comics.  "
That's my point.
Static first series, or at least the early issues, was fantastic. Art and story. If he'd been under the DC imprint then he'd have been noticed and be huge. The character had huge potential and needs to be taken advantage of better.
#6 Posted by johnny_spam (2020 posts) - - Show Bio

You may never know the new Batgirl starring Stephanie Brown a character not really connected to Batgirl making her the fourth incarnation has not yet been cancelled it's like Mark Waid said "If Green Arrow canat one point be the most popular hero then there is no predicting who can."

#7 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2662 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam said:
" You may never know the new Batgirl starring Stephanie Brown a character not really connected to Batgirl making her the fourth incarnation has not yet been cancelled it's like Mark Waid said "If Green Arrow canat one point be the most popular hero then there is no predicting who can." "
I do see your point but I just can't see people gettin' on board for a series if they really don't like the writing.
Maybe the new Batgirl series is well written.
#8 Edited by spacedoutandazed (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam said:

" You may never know the new Batgirl starring Stephanie Brown a character not really connected to Batgirl making her the fourth incarnation has not yet been cancelled it's like Mark Waid said "If Green Arrow canat one point be the most popular hero then there is no predicting who can." "

This situation is different. 

This time it's the writer, not the character, that will potentially put people off from this book. What's worse, if this book fails, DC will blame the character and not the writer. And then that will be it for any Static-related projects for the near future.
#9 Posted by NexusOfLight (1712 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, is Stephanie Brown that bad? I just find that hard to believe. Static getting his own series is great news to me. Surely it won't get canceled as quickly as you guys are making it sound.

#10 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2662 posts) - - Show Bio
@spacedoutandazed said:
" @johnny spam said:

This situation is different.  This time it's the writer, not the character, that will potentially put people off from this book. What's worse, if this book fails, DC will blame the character and not the writer. And then that will be it for any Static-related projects for the near future. "
Exactly.

The book needs to be be similar in tone to the original. 
Has Henderson got the sense of humour to carry it? Virgil was always funny. And not just Spidey "oh he made a joke" funny but funny that actually made me laugh.
The original often tackled various social issues too.
#11 Posted by johnny_spam (2020 posts) - - Show Bio
@spacedoutandazed: Well if Teen Titans has been selling as bad as it has been would that affect Static? In this case there might not be enough readers to know her name and just might know Static from the show and might pick up because they are curious just because so many people on the internet agree on something does not mean it has an effect internet fans come out saying they loved Ryan Choi when his series was cancelled for low sales they hated Cry for Justice but it was financially successful and sometimes DC picks up on something Azrael has been selling badly and it was decided not to cancel it but replace the writer. 
#12 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2662 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam: 

All totally valid points.
I only really asked because I'm not familiar with Henderson and wanted to se what the general consensus was here.

@NexusOfLight said:
" Wow, is Stephanie Brown that bad? I just find that hard to believe. Static getting his own series is great news to me. Surely it won't get canceled as quickly as you guys are making it sound. "

I kinda like Steph :)
I'm just gettin' fanboy fear over the chatter I'm reading on Henderson in general. I'm a huge Static fan.
#13 Posted by spacedoutandazed (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@NexusOfLight said:
" Wow, is Stephanie Brown that bad? I just find that hard to believe. Static getting his own series is great news to me. Surely it won't get canceled as quickly as you guys are making it sound. "
According to most, Stephanie Brown's book is actually decent. And if Doctor Voodoo can get cancelled in less than 5 issues, then so can this book, given how much the writer is hated.
#14 Posted by spacedoutandazed (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas said:
" @spacedoutandazed said:
" @johnny spam said:

This situation is different.  This time it's the writer, not the character, that will potentially put people off from this book. What's worse, if this book fails, DC will blame the character and not the writer. And then that will be it for any Static-related projects for the near future. "
Exactly.  The book needs to be be similar in tone to the original.  Has Henderson got the sense of humour to carry it? Virgil was always funny. And not just Spidey "oh he made a joke" funny but funny that actually made me laugh. The original often tackled various social issues too. "
Well, I haven't seen Virgil joke much during her Teen Titans run.
#15 Posted by johnny_spam (2020 posts) - - Show Bio
@NexusOfLight: @NexusOfLight said:
Well it has lots of fans I was saying that the character is so convoluted it should not have had success but it did half the lead character's history and the point she got there could have been to much for new readers but the book is going strong. 
#16 Posted by spacedoutandazed (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam said:

" @spacedoutandazed: Well if Teen Titans has been selling as bad as it has been would that affect Static? In this case there might not be enough readers to know her name and just might know Static from the show and might pick up because they are curious just because so many people on the internet agree on something does not mean it has an effect internet fans come out saying they loved Ryan Choi when his series was cancelled for low sales they hated Cry for Justice but it was financially successful and sometimes DC picks up on something Azrael has been selling badly and it was decided not to cancel it but replace the writer.  "

Cartoon watchers do not = comic book readers. Someone actually made a point about that here:  

http://aixiaolai.deviantart.com/journal/30569870/#comments  

You cannot rely on the cartoon watchers to support the comic. Alot of current DC readers are actually new to the character. For them, their first exposure to the character was in Teen Titans. That didn't exactly go well. 

And what advantage would Static's book have over Ryan Choi's? Cry for Justice was successful because it was hyped and possibly because of Mauro Cascioli's art. But the thing has been subject to ridicule ever since. 
#17 Posted by johnny_spam (2020 posts) - - Show Bio
@spacedoutandazed: @spacedoutandazed said:
" @johnny spam said:

" @spacedoutandazed: Well if Teen Titans has been selling as bad as it has been would that affect Static? In this case there might not be enough readers to know her name and just might know Static from the show and might pick up because they are curious just because so many people on the internet agree on something does not mean it has an effect internet fans come out saying they loved Ryan Choi when his series was cancelled for low sales they hated Cry for Justice but it was financially successful and sometimes DC picks up on something Azrael has been selling badly and it was decided not to cancel it but replace the writer.  "

Cartoon watchers do not = comic book readers. Someone actually made a point about that here:   http://aixiaolai.deviantart.com/journal/30569870/#comments   You cannot rely on the cartoon watchers to support the comic. Alot of current DC readers are actually new to the character. For them, their first exposure to the character was in Teen Titans. That didn't exactly go well. And what advantage would Static's book have over Ryan Choi's? Cry for Justice was successful because it was hyped and possibly because of Mauro Cascioli's art. But the thing has been subject to ridicule ever since.  "
I am saying just because the internet boards decide something doesn't mean anything half the time and in the case of DC half it's readers came on board because of the DCAU of the nineties and early 2000's. So I think some of them would know who Static is based on Kids WB. 
#18 Posted by spacedoutandazed (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam said:
" @NexusOfLight: @NexusOfLight said:
Well it has lots of fans I was saying that the character is so convoluted it should not have had success but it did half the lead character's history and the point she got there could have been to much for new readers but the book is going strong.  "
Like I said, this situation is different. 

The problem is that it's the writer who may turn people away from the book, not the character. Following the announcement, there have even been Static fans who say they won't pick up this comic.
#19 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2662 posts) - - Show Bio
@spacedoutandazed said:
" @Gylan Thomas said:
" @johnny spam said:

Exactly.  The book needs to be be similar in tone to the original.  Has Henderson got the sense of humour to carry it? Virgil was always funny. And not just Spidey "oh he made a joke" funny but funny that actually made me laugh. The original often tackled various social issues too. "
Well, I haven't seen Virgil joke much during her Teen Titans run. "
That breaks my heart man :(
Does she not know the character at all?
#20 Posted by johnny_spam (2020 posts) - - Show Bio
@spacedoutandazed:  But have you noticed fanboy mentally? Some people buy things that piss them off completely.
#21 Edited by spacedoutandazed (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam said:

" @spacedoutandazed:  @spacedoutandazed said:

" @johnny spam said:

Cartoon watchers do not = comic book readers. Someone actually made a point about that here:   http://aixiaolai.deviantart.com/journal/30569870/#comments   You cannot rely on the cartoon watchers to support the comic. Alot of current DC readers are actually new to the character. For them, their first exposure to the character was in Teen Titans. That didn't exactly go well. And what advantage would Static's book have over Ryan Choi's? Cry for Justice was successful because it was hyped and possibly because of Mauro Cascioli's art. But the thing has been subject to ridicule ever since.  "
I am saying just because the internet boards decide something doesn't mean anything half the time and in the case of DC half it's readers came on board because of the DCAU of the nineties and early 2000's. So I think some of them would know who Static is based on Kids WB.  "
The problem is TV shows and movies have never translated into increased comic sales. Not for Iron Man. Not for Fantastic Four, Not even for Superman or Batman. They are two different audiences.  The sales remained the same. Not going up and not going down. Compare the the sales highest-selling comic out today with how many people saw Iron Man or TDK.

And it doesn't matter how familiar people are with or how much they like the character. If the writing is bad or if they don't like the writer choice, it's all rendered moot. Like I said, some Static fans or people who say they like Static have already made comments saying they won't pick up the book.
#22 Posted by spacedoutandazed (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas said:
" @Gylan Thomas said:
" @johnny spam said:

Well, I haven't seen Virgil joke much during her Teen Titans run. "
That breaks my heart man :( Does she not know the character at all? "
Well she's gotten one or two of aspects right and there's been a few bright spots here and there. But it's all been in a sea of blah.
#23 Edited by johnny_spam (2020 posts) - - Show Bio
@spacedoutandazed:  @spacedoutandazed said:

" @johnny spam said:

" @johnny spam said:

I am saying just because the internet boards decide something doesn't mean anything half the time and in the case of DC half it's readers came on board because of the DCAU of the nineties and early 2000's. So I think some of them would know who Static is based on Kids WB.  "
The problem is TV shows and movies have never translated into increased comic sales. Not for Iron Man. Not for Fantastic Four, Not even for Superman or Batman. They are two different audiences.  The sales remained the same. Not going up and not going down. Compare the the sales highest-selling comic out today with how many people saw Iron Man or TDK. And it doesn't matter how familiar people are with or how much they like the character. If the writing is bad or if they don't like the writer choice, it's all rendered moot. Like I said, some Static fans or people who say they like Static have already made comments saying they won't pick up the book. "
I know it has nothing to do with comics sales but that's not what I am talking about since that is about new readers I am talking about how fans of DCAU became comic readers in the last decade many of them like me grew up watching those shows many fans grew up knowing the DC characters through those shows allot of them confuse the DCAU history for the Earth Zero history. 
#24 Posted by spacedoutandazed (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam:  
 Correction:   Some people buy heavily-hyped events and A-list franchises that piss them off completely. Even if people complain about them, those things will always sell because they are heavily hyped, they are A-list franchises or they have an A-list writer or artist behind them. 

Hell, even Teen Titans, which is supposed to be one of those top franchises, is having dismal sales right now, especially after many people are continuously dropping the book. This along with everyone complaining about it.

Take a look at Cassandra Cain. Lots of of people were complaining about Adam Beechen's Batgirl mini and it was sold low.
#25 Posted by spacedoutandazed (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam said:

" @johnny spam said:

" @johnny spam said:

The problem is TV shows and movies have never translated into increased comic sales. Not for Iron Man. Not for Fantastic Four, Not even for Superman or Batman. They are two different audiences.  The sales remained the same. Not going up and not going down. Compare the the sales highest-selling comic out today with how many people saw Iron Man or TDK. And it doesn't matter how familiar people are with or how much they like the character. If the writing is bad or if they don't like the writer choice, it's all rendered moot. Like I said, some Static fans or people who say they like Static have already made comments saying they won't pick up the book. "
I know it has nothing to do with comics sales but that's not what I am talking about since that is about new readers I am talking about how fans of DCAU became comic readers in the last decade many of them like me grew up watching those shows many fans grew up knowing the DC characters through those shows allot of them confuse the DCAU history for the Earth Zero history.  "
And how many of them will support Static's book? 

How many people who watched Teen Titans are reading the Teen Titans comic right now?
#26 Posted by Captain13 (3564 posts) - - Show Bio
@NexusOfLight said:
Haven't you ever asked yourself why Blue Beetle got nixed? The writing in the early issues wasn't good, so the series never attracted as many readers as it should have. It got better later on, but by then it was already too late.
#27 Posted by johnny_spam (2020 posts) - - Show Bio
@spacedoutandazed: @spacedoutandazed said:
" @johnny spam said:

" @johnny spam said:

" @johnny spam said:

I know it has nothing to do with comics sales but that's not what I am talking about since that is about new readers I am talking about how fans of DCAU became comic readers in the last decade many of them like me grew up watching those shows many fans grew up knowing the DC characters through those shows allot of them confuse the DCAU history for the Earth Zero history.  "
And how many of them will support Static's book?  How many people who watched Teen Titans are reading the Teen Titans comic right now? "
By then would people even remember her TT run? Would it still play a factor? People on the internet move on quickly and go to their next thing I am saying no one can predict the sales of the book at all.
#28 Posted by spacedoutandazed (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam said:
" @spacedoutandazed: @spacedoutandazed said:
" @johnny spam said:

" @johnny spam said:

" @johnny spam said:

And how many of them will support Static's book?  How many people who watched Teen Titans are reading the Teen Titans comic right now? "
By then would people even remember her TT run? Would it still play a factor? People on the internet move on quickly and go to their next thing I am saying no one can predict the sales of the book at all. "
How quickly will people forget? The book is starting early next year. Her Teen Titans run is not even over yet. 

Even till this day, you still have people bringing up OMD, Countdown, Chuck Austen's run on X-Men or that crap Justice League fight vs. Deathstroke in Identity Crisis.
#29 Posted by johnny_spam (2020 posts) - - Show Bio
@spacedoutandazed: Yeah but nothing in Teen Titans has been as big as those things she only has two months left before someone else takes over the book by then it could be Spring for all we know. 
#30 Edited by spacedoutandazed (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam:  

Look at Winick's run on Titans or his run on Green Arrow. Hell, look at Ben Raab's run on Green Lantern. People don't tend to forget these things.
#31 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2662 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam: @spacedoutandazed: @Captain13: 

I gotta agree with Spacedoutanddazed. 
Static has a fairly loyal fanbase but I'm just not sure they've got the numbers to support the book without a creative team the fans like to get the fans who aren't that excited about him on board untill the book proves it's quality.

To the average comic reader Static isn't a big name after all.
#32 Posted by Captain13 (3564 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas: Exactly. He needs to make a good first impression. A first impression can be everything.
#33 Posted by spacedoutandazed (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Gylan, I've just sent you a PM.

#34 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy he's getting another ongoing, but disappointed that Henderson is writing. But, I can't complain. I'm still going to read it....

#35 Posted by nonua4392 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Felicia Hendersen is terrible. . . I saw this news and was legitimately excited.  Not anymore after hearing she was writing this.  2011 is a long ways away so hopefully DC has a change of heart.

#36 Posted by Fireheart10 (322 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that he is getting his own series but I don't know about Henderson.

#37 Posted by Crimson Thunder (286 posts) - - Show Bio
@spacedoutandazed:
I've never read eany of henderson's work before, but if she is as bad as everyone says she is it will not be a shock to me that this series will fail. I am also a long time fan of Static. If the old fans of Static are so furious about the writer of the new series, DC should just come out with a COMPENDIUM of the oroginal Static Series( a compendium is one big collection of all the issues, in a series, ). A COMPENDIUM could make up for the money not gained in the new up coming series. All the oroginal Static fans would buy it. I know I would.  
#38 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crimson Thunder said:

" @spacedoutandazed: I've never read eany of henderson's work before, but if she is as bad as everyone says she is it will not be a shock to me that this series will fail. I am also a long time fan of Static. If the old fans of Static are so furious about the writer of the new series, DC should just come out with a COMPENDIUM of the oroginal Static Series( a compendium is one big collection of all the issues, in a series, ). A COMPENDIUM could make up for the money not gained in the new up coming series. All the oroginal Static fans would buy it. I know I would.   "

even though i already have the original series, I would buy it
#39 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2662 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crimson Thunder said:
" @spacedoutandazed: I've never read eany of henderson's work before, but if she is as bad as everyone says she is it will not be a shock to me that this series will fail. I am also a long time fan of Static. If the old fans of Static are so furious about the writer of the new series, DC should just come out with a COMPENDIUM of the oroginal Static Series( a compendium is one big collection of all the issues, in a series, ). A COMPENDIUM could make up for the money not gained in the new up coming series. All the oroginal Static fans would buy it. I know I would.   "
I'm a big fan but I wouldn't biy it.
I've got most in single issues and I'm much prefer to read new stories.
Besides, a collection like you're suggesting is only ever put out for big stories or characters. I doubt DC would make an exception for Static.
There's a TPB out of the early issues and Rebirth of the cool.
#40 Posted by tcJackal (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Im so excited for Static new on-going, just wished  he  would of stayed on teen titans for more exposure.    

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.